SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Harper gets that group to play together next year. If she can get them to buy into playing discipline basketball, Tennessee could turn some heads.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Harper gets that group to play together next year. If she can get them to buy into playing discipline basketball, Tennessee could turn some heads.
Yes she has more talent to work with now.

Reaction Score
I am interested to see how Mizzou does with Cunningham. I know they have two highly ranked recruits coming. They always seem to knock off some teams they shouldn't every year, but they never do anything in post-season. I hate playing them though because they always seem to give us problems.

Reaction Score
Arkansas is wait and see for me. Mike Neighbors has proven he is a good coach, but the run they had in the SEC Tournament has been overplayed. They got hot and beat a better team, South Carolina, which occasionally happens. South Carolina would beat them 9/10. They barely beat TAMU without Chennedy Carter. They were fairly bad outside of those two games during the year.

I'm convinced that last season's South Carolina team would fail to slow down Dungee in 10/10 meetings.

We'd probably would win most of them, but still.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am interested to see how Mizzou does with Cunningham. I know they have two highly ranked recruits coming. They always seem to knock off some teams they shouldn't every year, but they never do anything in post-season. I hate playing them though because they always seem to give us problems.

They seem due for a big step back. I think it's essential they continue playing chippy to stay in upper half and still not sure they have the fire power.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced that season's team would fail to slow down Dungee in 10/10 meetings.

We'd probably would win most of them, but still.

I think Beal will be a big thorn in her side defensively and offensively these next couple of years

Reaction Score
Does MSST have a scholly left for Minyon Moore?
I think. The whole point was to land the 3 that came in the same weekend. 2 are in the house. Moore has yet to decide, but we should see her decision soon.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Does MSST have a scholly left for Minyon Moore?

No, we don't. Someone will be asked to leave if Moore comes.

Reaction Score
No, we don't. Someone will be asked to leave if Moore comes.

Can they do that? That just does not seem fair to me, I realize we have some players that are not critical but can you just take a scholarship from a player simply because you want to add a transfer?

Reaction Score
Can they do that? That just does not seem fair to me, I realize we have some players that are not critical but can you just take a scholarship from a player simply because you want to add a transfer?

Attrition happens a lot in major programs. Players get recruited over all the time. That’s just part of the game and staying elite. I’m pretty sure that’s what happened to Jonika Garvin and Iggy Allen, and the same might be said for Nyah Tate if Moore does in fact commit to State.

Interested to see what he does for 2020 though being that he’s still recruiting Treasure Hunt, Kamilla Cardosa, and Madison Hayes hard. He’d only have one scholarship to offer.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

The coaching staff can “nudge” a player. This usually happens during post season meetings. The staff may allude to a player getting lesser minutes next season, planting the seed for the player to pursue transfer options. That’s the kind way of doing it.

This is usually how it happens when a player transfers for playing time reasons.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it happens on teams all over the country from youth travel baseball to college athletics. Obviously we are not privy to the conversations with players and their families. However if a coach gets a reputation for running off players when they get the chance a better player then that can definitely hurt credibility and recruiting. As a fan of Mississippi State my inclination is to believe that Coach Schaefer is either aware of someone that has indicated they are leaving or someone that cannot return due to health. I can imagine some players see the writing on the wall that they aren’t going to get a chance to play. However who knows.
My son plays travel baseball and has been on both sides of it. He is still in middle school but already has a pretty business like approach to it and a thick skin. I’m sure athletes playing at this level are vastly more conditioned to take it in stride. If they want to stay and just go to school then there are ways to do that and stay on a full ride. However most want to still play and move on to other programs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The coaching staff can “nudge” a player. This usually happens during post season meetings. The staff may allude to a player getting lesser minutes next season, planting the seed for the player to pursue transfer options. That’s the kind way of doing it.

This is usually how it happens when a player transfers for playing time reasons.

I don't like how that happens even though we see it at most programs. Just puts a bad taste in my mouth. The one I'd be okay with is if Zion Campbell gets nudged since she's been there 4 years on scholarship and likely has her degree already, so she could be a grad transfer if she wants to continue playing and Vic has honored her scholarship 4 years.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
The one I'd be okay with is if Zion Campbell gets nudged since she's been there 4 years on scholarship

She's already gone. Graduated and moved onto law school elsewhere.

Nyah Tate is probably gonna be the one to get the shaft if Moore transfers in. Though there is a way to still add a couple of 2020 recruits in that scenario.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's already gone. Graduated and moved onto dental school elsewhere.

Nyah Tate is probably gonna be the one to get the shaft if Moore transfers in. Though there is a way to still add a couple of 2020 recruits in that scenario.

I kind of feel sorry for N Tate as her name is the one that comes up the most. However one of what might be considered the more talented players could also leave if they think they might not get the time they would like. However I haven’t heard anyone’s name come up.

Reaction Score
She's already gone. Graduated and moved onto law school elsewhere.

I assumed scholarships were good for four year if the recipient meet the requirements of the scholarship, I.e., grades, behavior, etc. Is athletic performance a requirement for WBB scholarship continuance?

Reaction Score
I assumed scholarships were good for four year if the recipient meet the requirements of the scholarship, I.e., grades, behavior, etc. Is athletic performance a requirement for WBB scholarship continuance?
Scholarships are year to year. Athletic performance is definitely part of the requirement for both getting it and keeping it.

Reaction Score
Scholarships are year to year. Athletic performance is definitely part of the requirement for both getting it and keeping it.
What happens when performance is affected by an injury. For example, Iggy Allen, before her injury, was lauded by Vic for her athletic ability. I believe she was considered a starter as a sophomore, however after her injury she never was able to regain that level of performance. She transferred to Miami, was she nudged out?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What happens when performance is affected by an injury. For example, Iggy Allen, before her injury, was lauded by Vic for her athletic ability. I believe she was considered a starter as a sophomore, however after her injury she never was able to regain that level of performance. She transferred to Miami, was she nudged out?

Vic never commented and I don't follow the program closely enough to know, but looks like it is anyones guess at this point.

I think coaches should honor 4 years of scholarships to their kids provided they work hard and aren't detrimental to the team. WCBB has a whopping 15 scholarship limit....no team needs that many. Players should not be pressured to transfer or quit if a coach can't budget 15 scholarships accordingly. If players don't work hard/break rules/etc, then by all means pull the scholarship.

If a player has a scholarship but doesn't develop as well as hoped, I think is poor form to make a college student give up basketball and/or a scholarship if they decide not to transfer. Or just as bad, force a player to transfer out and uproot their life to a new city/school which could push back their graduation date or have other consequences.

I have no idea if Tate or anyone else is getting pushed out, but it is a slime ball move if it happens.

Reaction Score
Roster issues tend to resolve themselves and I would guess it is pretty rare that any coach actually has to pull a scholarship for someone that is doing what they are supposed to.

Usually if you want to stay you stay. I've seen at least one coach not renew a scholarship of a player after they graduated when that player was not a contributor.

I'm not even sure you still can pull a scholarship that after the flurry of four year pledges and proposed rules to codify it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom