SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

Reaction Score
Just wondering, can a non scholarship student try out for the team? If they can and make the team, does that player count against the 15 scholarship limit even if they are willing to play as a non scholarship player?

Reaction Score
Just wondering, can a non scholarship student try out for the team? If they can and make the team, does that player count against the 15 scholarship limit even if they are willing to play as a non scholarship player?
Yeah, but it is the coach’s decision. They wouldn’t count against the 15.

Reaction Score
Now that M Moore has committed to Oregon things can be projected a little better for Mississippi State. By the end of the summer games they should have a pretty good idea as to how things will shake out regarding positions. Obviously M Taylor will start at point to begin the summer but I think A Mathuru and possibly J Mingo-Young will be given every opportunity to push for significant minutes. The silver lining for this season is that MSU will most likely return everyone the next season and the point guards will have this year to work through any growing pains.
This summer should be good to work out the new players as C Bibby as well as possibility P Taylor and E Martinez are recovering from injuries. I’ll be interested to see how Y Morris performs this summer under the MSU staff.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, you can’t rely on freshman to lead you to championships. So as much a the SC group is heralded and despite the duo of Ty Harris and MHH, I just don’t see where all the scoring will come from. MSU has to get all these players to mesh and Tenn has to adapt to a new system (or any system!).
I do think Texas A&M is the team to beat. With Arkansas and Kentucky also being included with the other 3 mentioned. From a STAR perspective, Carter, Rennia Davis along with Howard of Kentucky and Chelsea Dundee of Arkansas as big time scorers. I think the 1-5 seeds will be interesting but as noted overall, not a string year for the SEC, however in 2 years watch out! :)

Reaction Score
To me, you can’t rely on freshman to lead you to championships. So as much a the SC group is heralded and despite the duo of Ty Harris and MHH, I just don’t see where all the scoring will come from. MSU has to get all these players to mesh and Tenn has to adapt to a new system (or any system!).
I do think Texas A&M is the team to beat. With Arkansas and Kentucky also being included with the other 3 mentioned. From a STAR perspective, Carter, Rennia Davis along with Howard of Kentucky and Chelsea Dundee of Arkansas as big time scorers. I think the 1-5 seeds will be interesting but as noted overall, not a string year for the SEC, however in 2 years watch out! :)

I don’t necessarily think SC will rely on the freshman to lead them. I personally think they will provide a boost to what’s coming back. Harris is the active assist and steals leader in the SEC. Herbert Harrigan has the most blocks of any returning player and both should definitely see scoring increases with more touches and shot opportunities. I think Henderson, Saxton and Grissett are being overlooked. I expect Henderson and Saxton’s scoring averages to improve as both showed me last season in the SEC they could be double digit scorers. I think Grissett could surprise people with a bigger role and more playing time she could become a big key next year. She’s solid defensively and can grab rebounds as well but she could probably step up as a scorer next year too. I think Wesolek could potentially get more time as well and she’s a very good shooter. If she learns how to defend well enough she could definitely see the floor and score the ball.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I really like this new coaching staff. I think this staff will do some really good things. Coach Harper had a good run last year at Missouri State. Now she has a more talented team. I am looking forward to seeing Horston play. I think the team will be better. I expect a better play and a better record. I will say sweet 16 possibly.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. I’m not counting on any of the freshmen or Y Morris to be the key cogs to the season for MSU. However if MSU is going to have a successful season then some of the newcomers are going to have to make positive contributions. I’m not sure if this meets the spirit of your definition of “rely”.

Reaction Score
I don't have high expectations with the coach LSU has. But Fargas does field a very deep and talented team and has proven to compete with Texas A&M and Kentucky over the years so I wouldn't sleep on them in the top 4. Mitchell and Pointer is a great duo, Aifuwa has made a big jump in the post for them, I expect her to continue improving as one of the top centers in the SEC, also bringing in 2 talented freshmen and a team with a lot of experience. Not expecting them to be at the top. But their upside is definitely in the top 4. They've been there not long ago

Reaction Score
I really like this new coaching staff. I think this staff will do some really good things. Coach Harper had a good run last year at Missouri State. Now she has a more talented team. I am looking forward to seeing Horston play. I think the team will be better. I expect a better play and a better record. I will say sweet 16 possibly.
Agreed. Some think that they'll take a step back with the losses. I think they'll take a step ahead with their talent. I expect some of last year's freshmen to make a big jump. Davis will finally show her talents consistently. KK is the biggest question mark. The UCLA game in the tournament shows how much of a force she is in the paint. If it grows consistently. Then UT will be a complete team. I feel like she is the biggest key to their success.

Reaction Score
I don't have high expectations with the coach LSU has. But Fargas does field a very deep and talented team and has proven to compete with Texas A&M and Kentucky over the years so I wouldn't sleep on them in the top 4. Mitchell and Pointer is a great duo, Aifuwa has made a big jump in the post for them, I expect her to continue improving as one of the top centers in the SEC, also bringing in 2 talented freshmen and a team with a lot of experience. Not expecting them to be at the top. But their upside is definitely in the top 4. They've been there not long ago

LSU a top 4 team in the SEC???:confused: If they are in fact a top 4 team who would be the other three you’d include? I’m curious to know.

Reaction Score
LSU a top 4 team in the SEC???:confused: If they are in fact a top 4 team who would be the other three you’d include? I’m curious to know.
A&M, SC, and State. I'm not inferring to them actually being a top 4 team. I'm speaking on the talent and returning vets that could give them that ceiling. Year before last they were top 4 when they had experience. This year the team they courting should have the same experience. Don't be surprised if they beat out Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas for the #4 spot. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're #6-7 either.

Reaction Score
A&M, SC, and State. I'm not inferring to them actually being a top 4 team. I'm speaking on the talent and returning vets that could give them that ceiling. Year before last they were top 4 when they had experience. This year the team they courting should have the same experience. Don't be surprised if they beat out Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas for the #4 spot. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're #6-7 either.

Gotcha. It’ll be interesting for sure. How come everyone has written Missouri off? They have some VERY talented freshman coming in and they have some good ones returning. Seems like Arkansas and LSU struggle more with consistent good play than Kentucky and Mizzou. Auburn will also have a sneaky good team as well.

Reaction Score
Definitely a lot of question marks in the SEC for a lot of teams, more than I can remember in recent years.

Mizzou will have two very talented freshmen in Aijha Blackwell and Hayley Frank, but they will be even worse down low without Porter. Akira Levy suffered a late injury, but will be a key piece.

Kentucky obviously has a unique talent in Rhyne Howard, but Murray and Morris will be missed. Chassity Patterson will be eligible mid season, but she is still unproven.

Arkansas with Tolefree, Dungee, and Ramirez on the perimeter will be a nightmare when they’re on, but they seem likely to be streaky, perhaps a team that can beat the best but lose to the worst.

Reaction Score
LSU has the tools to potentially do very well next year but LSU has always been a very streaky team under Nikki. We will upset a few teams we aren't expected to but then drop a few games that we have no business losing. I am still not sold until they learn to take care of the basketball and learn to hit outside shots consistently. LSU had success the other year when Chloe Jackson and Louis were hitting outside shots consistently. We turn the ball over way too much but that has been routine for us every year. They like to play up tempo and run with it, issue is they are out of control too much.

Just my personal opinion, no matter how good the post play is, teams are going to force LSU to shoot from the perimeter and take care of the ball. If we can't do that we will continue to struggle and finish in the mid tier part of the conference again.

Reaction Score
Observation from the west coast: If Texas A&M remains healthy throughout next season, Texas A&M are the best in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Observation from the west coast: If Texas A&M remains healthy throughout next season, Texas A&M are the best in the SEC.

I think they have a legit chance to make a run if they do remain healthy. A. Wilson coming back from injury will be big. She was a big scorer for them early last season.

Whats amazing is Carter, Wells, Johnson, A. Wilson, and Jones were all sophomores last year. The foundation of the entire team were a bunch of sophomore players. They only signed one kid this past year but she is a top 100 guard out of Houston.

Reaction Score
I think they have a legit chance to make a run if they do remain healthy. A. Wilson coming back from injury will be big. She was a big scorer for them early last season.

Whats amazing is Carter, Wells, Johnson, A. Wilson, and Jones were all sophomores last year. The foundation of the entire team were a bunch of sophomore players. They only signed one kid this past year but she is a top 100 guard out of Houston.

They really lacked depth last season and did well despite of it. Getting Wilson healthy and adding Green and Hearn should make them even better although I’m not sure how good the latter is considering she was a bench bump at UCLA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A&M is clearly the team to beat, on paper. I'd say definitely a favorite to reach the Elite 8. Both Carter and Wells have All-American potential. If they develop a strong post presence they can be a Final Four team.

MSU, SC, Ark, TN, KY, Mizzou and LSU could be anywhere between meh and very good. So many questions to be answered and variables that can go any which way for each of these teams.

Florida, Ole Miss, Vandy and Bama will probably still be the cellar, likely to be joined by Georgia and Auburn.

My predictions:
  1. TAMU
  2. Miss St
  3. South Carolina
  4. Tennessee
  5. Kentucky
  6. Arkansas
  7. Missouri
  8. LSU
  9. Georgia
  10. Auburn
  11. Vanderbilt
  12. Alabama
  13. Ole Miss
  14. Florida

Reaction Score
LSU has the tools to potentially do very well next year but LSU has always been a very streaky team under Nikki. We will upset a few teams we aren't expected to but then drop a few games that we have no business losing. I am still not sold until they learn to take care of the basketball and learn to hit outside shots consistently. LSU had success the other year when Chloe Jackson and Louis were hitting outside shots consistently. We turn the ball over way too much but that has been routine for us every year. They like to play up tempo and run with it, issue is they are out of control too much.

Just my personal opinion, no matter how good the post play is, teams are going to force LSU to shoot from the perimeter and take care of the ball. If we can't do that we will continue to struggle and finish in the mid tier part of the conference again.
Agreed. I think they have more three point shooters this year than they had ever before. I just don't like that Fargas doesn't allow them to shoot it more. They won't have any confidence in hitting them if they are not allowed to take them.

The good news is, the new Athletic Director will probably get rid of her if they don't succeed.

Reaction Score
They really lacked depth last season and did well despite of it. Getting Wilson healthy and adding Green and Hearn should make them even better although I’m not sure how good the latter is considering she was a bench bump at UCLA.
Carter with the experienced talent is more dangerous. Her court vision is very high. Especially when defenders key in on her. I can see her averaging more assists next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom