SC Postgame Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If UConn came out of the gates storming in the first quarter, they could have put that game away. South Carolina wasn't exactly lighting it up either. If after the first quarter let's say UConn was up 22-11, our players' confidence grows, and South Carolina is right back in their familiar here we go again demoralized position.
Don't forget that since South Carolina was up by 24 they took the air out of the ball in the second half of the third and all of the fourth quarter. South Carolina even when Uconn made runs at getting it to single digits never flinched.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Please point me to the SC fans that ever complained about the refs helping UConn beat SC. Prior matchups have all been one side double digit affairs, especially last night. Please don’t be a sore loser it’s just one game! I can count on my two hands how many times UConn fans crapped on SC because we couldn’t keep the score close or the fact that we never won with A’ja. Some even laughed when she cried after UConn ended her senior season. We Carolina fans could be over here rubbing it in but instead we have all remained respectful after last night.

Gamecocks Nation, the now-deceased CockyTalk, the Palmetto Proving Grounds, the now-deceased Garnett Roost.

As for being a sore loser, sorry, that ain't me. UConn was embarrassingly out-hustled last night. I'd tell you all about South Carolina fans--who complain endlessly about UConn's ranking etc--anytime regardless. In comparison, I've seen umpteen comments from Gamecocks fans whining about Geno's presser last night, pretending he didn't give them credit when all he did was kiss their butts (#1 team in the nation for a reason, they outplayed us, give them the credit). They can't even take compliments without complaining.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Don't forget that since South Carolina was up by 24 they took the air out of the ball in the second half of the third and all of the fourth quarter. South Carolina even when Uconn made runs at getting it to single digits never flinched.

South Carolina deserved the win, period. However, that does not negate UConn's awful play. When UConn got within 11, their next few possessions were: airball, shot-clock violation, ball thrown into the bench.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If she is not a good defensive player it is not because of her size. There are players her size who are very good defensive players. Good defensive players don't let the player they are guarding get past them or get to the spot to which they want to get. They keep themselves between the player and the basket. That has nothing to do with height.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has virtually no chance at all of ending up in a regional without Baylor, Oregon or SC. To do that, they would have to be seeded 5th or 12th. Neither is in any way, shape or form a likely scenario.
Baylor, Oregon and SC play a tougher league schedule as do many of the teams in the top 10. Based on their schedule, UConn finishing 5 is very possible.

Reaction Score
Crystal is a fighter, but if she was 5 inches taller she would be just as good as Sabrina.
Yes .. MUCH more difficult to run the pick-n-roll if u r short on height [no pun intended]

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
South Carolina deserved the win, period. However, that does not negate UConn's awful play. When UConn got within 11, their next few possessions were: airball, shot-clock violation, ball thrown into the bench.
If Chrystn had hit that wide open short jumper the lead would have been cut to nine. SC would have flinched.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
The game was a disappointing loss, agreed. AAC is not the best competition, ok, but not all of the games were blowouts and not all of them were the year before. What's still unclear to me is how the team does against good teams from conferences better than the AAC but not necessarily elite, since that would have a significant impact in tournament play. Thoughts on that would be of interest to me.

Despite the disappointment, I think it's just basic decency not to come down on specific players for so-called character issues. Calling a player "lazy" or "not trying" borders on abusive. There's the danger of becoming like the coach at SMU. Quoting from the Dallas Morning News, 02/4/20:
"At the end of a practice during the 2017-18 season, SMU women’s basketball coach Travis Mays gathered his team at center court. Unhappy with how the practice went, Mays made a comment that sent a shock throughout the tired team. A comment that still resonates with those present. 'If you’re not going to compete, he said, you may as well kill yourself.'" I think a certain message comes across when posters repeatedly talk about future players as if the ones playing the games in the present seem to be written off.

In contrast, to quote Tom Rizzo, coach at Michigan State, I would cite Pauline Dedaj, Fox News, 02/05/2020: "Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo is fed up with critics attacking his players, telling reporters Tuesday night that he gets “paid a lot of money, so take your shots at me” instead.

The Spartans dropped consecutive games for the first time this season Tuesday, falling 75-70 to Penn State, which led for most of the game. They also lost to a Big Ten team at home for the first time this year, opening players up to criticism -- something Izzo calls baseless.

“If there’s any Michigan State people out there that are abusing some of my players on that frickin’ Twitter -- I’m sick of it, OK. I’m sick of dealing with what I’ve got to deal with on that… so if they are Michigan State fans, I’d be more than happy to buy their tickets, and I mean that. I mean that.”

Izzo said he’s “proud” of Michigan State and its alumni, but is upset by the reaction of some fans this season.

“It’s despicable, some of the things that have gone out there about some of our guys that have given more to this program than most of those alums or most of those people sitting behind a chicken keyboard,” he said.

Reaction Score
No way.
I think she can easily be better than Williams, but not likely better than Dangerfield. I have seen so little of Westbrook's play, and she has been out of action for a long time. But she was considered a really top player by Tennessee, and they expected her to be great.

Reaction Score
Remember when Collier spent time working with a shooting coach after her sophomore year? Some things are best left alone.
I think CW needs a sports psychologist more than shooting coach. both she and MW seem to get too wrapped up in their heads when they miss a few shots. If their confidence can be bolstered it could change everything. I really thought they had a chance last night, a better chance than against either Oregon or Baylor.

I haven't given up on this year yet. Not sure we can win it all but Final 4 definitely still in play---with some confidence.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced UConn had the ability to finish any comeback. Once down that many you need to make shots and UConn couldn't do that, or even manage simple handoffs in some cases.
My post was in response to what sharris952 said about SC not flinching. If Williams had hit that shot SC would have started getting a little tighter, imo.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I think she can easily be better than Williams, but not likely better than Dangerfield. I have seen so little of Westbrook's play, and she has been out of action for a long time. But she was considered a really top player by Tennessee, and they expected her to be great.
Westbrook was very good at finishing, had a an accurate mid range jumper, and could hit the three pointer. When she drove to the basket, she made some not so easy shots. If she stays two years she will be an AA I believe.

Reaction Score
Westbrook was very good at finishing, had a an accurate mid range jumper, and could hit the three pointer. When she drove to the basket, she made some not so easy shots. If she stays two years she will be an AA I believe.
There is little chance she will stay two years if she performs well next year. The raise in WNBA pay is going to be a game changer for eligible players.

Reaction Score
He may be a long time fan but he's certainly not very knowledgeable about talent. Aubrey's gonna be another Gabby Williams. I love her!!!
[She
He may be a long time fan but he's certainly not very knowledgeable about talent. Aubrey's gonna be another Gabby Williams. I love her!!!
Aubrey has got to go a long way before she's on the same planet as Gabby. Gabby made shots and made layups and had a sense of the offensive side of basketball. I don't see anything that suggests that Aubrey is anything more than a very, very athletic and energized young woman. I've rarely seen anyone who misses more layups and open shots. I do agree she's a battler and I'm sure, a wonderful student athlete but I don't know if she'll ever be a really good Division 1 basketball player. She doesn't appear to have any offensive instincts, at all. I'm not trying to diminish her or her athletic ability but putting the ball in the hoop is a very big part of winning basketball and I've seen very little that suggests that she has that capability.

Reaction Score
They were tight and it showed.
I think the spin by the media is so over the top, first three loss season since 2013, worst loss at Gampel, etc. In college you get new teams that have nothing to do the history of a program, and they need to make their own history good/bad.
20-3, the three losses were to teams ranked 1,2 ,3.....lets look at the bright side....we are not Notre Dame.
And we didn't have a weekend like Louisville did.

Reaction Score
People! Let's not turn on each other because we are upset at a loss... Look at the numbers! We outrebounded them! Blocks they were plus 1. Assists they were plus 2. TURNOVERS and MISSED SHOTS lost the game! Both are issues of concentration and maturity. We went 1 for 17 in the 1st Qtr? We make half of those and it changes the tenor of the game. Relax people, our kids need to grow up, theyre just not big game ready yet. Go Huskies!
No! Wait! Perspective? How dare you? ;)

Good points.

Reaction Score
Focus (in their shooting) and movement are what they need to win. If you go to the games, yell that at them when you don't see it. "Focus, UConn!" "Movement, UConn." Be fans and help them get better. And cheer them loudly when they do well. There is still hope. What a great season this will have been if they pull out a national championship. Things are harder than they have been in a long time, but victory in the last game of the year is not out of the question. Not by a long shot. They need to move and have focus when they shoot. That's fixable and if they fix those things, they will be extremely dangerous and all the naysayers will be proven wrong.

A lot of us thought that Liv would be the key to competing well in this game. She played well. About as well as I see her being capable of playing this year. The others did not play well, except for Crystal. But if Liv can continue to play as she did and the rest can improve their focus and movement, they can compete against anyone. Hit shots and you can be a giant killer.

Moreover, the people who are writing off Christyn Williams are absurd. Watch! She will get back to form and go way beyond that. Mark my words! She does have issues with her shooting form and the coaches are probably working on that. But that intermediate time can be a time when it is difficult to sink even an easy shot. She will get it though.

Unless they lose to USF, there is no way they are going to be a 3 seed, What eight teams are going to have a better case for seeding than UConn? To think they are going to be a third seed is just plain pessimism.

Reaction Score
I think CW needs a sports psychologist more than shooting coach. both she and MW seem to get too wrapped up in their heads when they miss a few shots. If their confidence can be bolstered it could change everything. I really thought they had a chance last night, a better chance than against either Oregon or Baylor.

I haven't given up on this year yet. Not sure we can win it all but Final 4 definitely still in play---with some confidence.
Doesn’t Uconn sports have access to this?

Reaction Score
Moreover, the people who are writing off Christyn Williams are absurd. Watch! She will get back to form and go way beyond that. Mark my words! She does have issues with her shooting form and the coaches are probably working on that. But that intermediate time can be a time when it is difficult to sink even an easy shot. She will get it though.

I'm with you 100%
Regain that swagger and keep grindin, Christyn.

Reaction Score
I've avoided the post-game lamentations and rendering of garments. But I do want to share a small observation from the S. Carolina game. As many of you no doubt recall, the Gamecocks ran an internal screen play that freed up Boston for short baseline jump shots. To her credit, she made those 8-10 foot shots (a more difficult shot than many realize). In watching the replays, it seemed pretty obvious that S. Carolina was setting obvious and egregious moving screens to free up Boston. More like a box out than a screen. In contrast, Olivia was called for a moving screen at the top of the key moments after one of these internal screen plays. The inconsistency of calling moving screens by WCBB officials is legion, but it seems to me that you can get away with virtually anything when screening in the paint. Am I the only one with this observation and take away?

Reaction Score
A similar pattern to the other two losses and now it’s looking like a team is just not mentally prepared to take on elite teams. I think it’s gotten into the heads of three or four of our key players that they are not a good shooting team, and that they are not going to play well in really big games. And because they believe it, it has become true.

I am going to come right out and say that I think the team needs a psychologist to help clear it of this mindset. It’s become a legitimate story over the past three or so seasons that the team often plays tight and tentative when the stakes are the highest.

Part of the problem I believe is that the program has worn its historic success, including the absurd narrative that it was bad for the game, like a ball and chain. That starts with the head coach by the way, which is why the problem has become a stubbornly embedded characteristic in program culture.

So yes, the team looks fragile. The expression on Dangerfield’s face a couple of times tonight said as much. And the missed layups this season… I have never seen anything remotely like it from a Connecticut team. And I hope I never do again.
Maybe this just isn't our year. Oregon and Baylor were expected to be the cream of the crop but the development of the SC freshman has more than offset the loss of Tea Cooper. SC looks like a team that is going to be a contender for the championship for another 3 years. Maybe if Evina Westbrook could have played this year we might have been more in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom