SC Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Yes because Charlie Creme is already touting them and NC State. Unless they falter before the Big Dance selection show, I agree with 1 but in no way will ever agree with the other. I posted about this in a Louisville/Syracuse thread.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Didn’t know Iowa was drawing 17,000. In their last two home games vs. ranked opponents (#12 Ind and #17 MD, their only home games ytd vs a ranked opponent) they averaged around 6,900. Exactly 6,689 vs Md. if anyone is counting. UCONN played in front of over 18,000 actual last night.
I might be a little bit off on the attendance. What I was specifically referring to was the first two rounds of last season’s NCAA tournament, when Iowa outdrew every other WBB program in the country, including our Huskies.

Reaction Score
Many appear to be writing off UConn as a No. 1 seed. Even allotting top seeds to Baylor, South Carolina and Oregon, can't the Huskies still earn the fourth No. 1 seed? It seems that the other teams in contention for a No. 1 seed--NC State, Mississippi State, Louisville, Stanford, UCLA, et al--all have difficult conference and conference tournament games remaining and all could lose another game or two.

If UConn completes the regular season without any more losses and wins its conference tournament, might that not be enough to earn the fourth No. 1 seed?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Getting the last #1 seed or the highest #2 is almost identical. I would be ecstatic with either.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Getting the last #1 seed or the highest #2 is almost identical. I would be ecstatic with either.
UConn is getting neither. Not this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With either option, I’d like to see the Huskies fall into a region where NC State is their top competition for a trip to the FF. I’m reasonably confident that the Huskies will manage to win 2 games at Gampel. After that, they will likely play a decent ranked team in the Sweet 16. If they get by that game, NC State certainly poses a significant challenge, but it’s one heck of a lot better than having to face Baylor, Oregon or SC again.

Reaction Score
Did not hurt that when Aliyah made her first 3, she probably thought she was Katie Lou . Still, I thought Liv was really competing. Especially on defense
It should be pretty obvious by now that the Huskies should be built around Liv's scoring, rebounding and passing. Yes passing! The more touches that Liv gets will just "open it up" for the rest of the team. Liv, like CD, has 'attitude', something that's difficult to teach, eh? Her attitude is never more on display than when someone tries to drive the lane, SWAT!
I loved the play that SC ran for Boston, setting her up with screens for that short, ten-foot baseline jumper which she canned at least 3 or 4 times. We need to make Liv the focal point of our offense. More touches and MUCH BETTER entry passes.

Reaction Score
I need to say one final thing about the SC loss. It is evident that SC had the better talent, both on the floor and on the bench. To compete in such an environment and, in fact, to have any shot at an upset, requires toughness. We needed players who are willing and able to throw punches, not simply absorb them.

- Crystal Dangerfield knows how to do that and threw punches all night.
- Olivia looks like she is getting that kind of attitude, as well. I would wager that SC's Boston gained respect
for Olivia last night.
- Walker play hard, but not with the kind of " tough defiance" necessary. She took a lot more than she gave.
- Williams just didn't show anything.
- And UCONN is starting a freshman from Poland because our one recruit is not a good basketball player,
and the word toughness is not applicable to her. Tentative, hesitant, and sneaky, maybe, but not gritty.
Ania, while tough at the core, is not "big game tough" yet. She played conservatively, and it showed.

So we don't have enough players who can reach deep down and counter-punch a more talented opponent until they panic. Consequently, there was never a chance of a comeback or " upset win," because two players willing to battle is not nearly enough. We need a team of them.
Dude lay off the horse he is already dead we know you think Aubrey is not good every time you post enuff please

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It should be pretty obvious by now that the Huskies should be built around Liv's scoring, rebounding and passing. Yes passing! The more touches that Liv gets will just "open it up" for the rest of the team. Liv, like CD, has 'attitude', something that's difficult to teach, eh? Her attitude is never more on display than when someone tries to drive the lane, SWAT!
I loved the play that SC ran for Boston, setting her up with screens for that short, ten-foot baseline jumper which she canned at least 3 or 4 times. We need to make Liv the focal point of our offense. More touches and MUCH BETTER entry passes.
Funny you should mention Liv’s passing. For the second time in 3 games (Oregon & SC) Liv lead UConn in assists.

Reaction Score
I'm not wholly sure what you're trying to prove or have to gain by trying to pick a fight with me...

You watch games the way you want to, I'll watch games the way I want to.

Adios and ignore.

Adios....I was actually responding to the poster who said southern fans take it too seriously.

I thought that ironic, in that someone would say that in a thread initiated by a fan who keys in game notes, what others around him are saying, etc. Serious as serious gets. Not particularly aimed at you...you were just the example.

That level of fandom is foreign to me (oops..may be not be PC to use that term)...read it as weird.

But...since you are not reading this...no since in saying bu-bye.

Reaction Score
Beginning with unrealistic expectations is sure to result in disappointment. Bottom line, that is what most fans and even the media did with respect to this present Uconn team. The same was done with CW and the overestimation of her abilities played a major role in the unrealistic expectations of the team.
I do see your point as to the overestimation perhaps done for the entire UConn team, however not in the case of CW: I'd say when you are the HS Gatorade POY as were Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Candace Parker, Katie Lou Samuelson, Kaleena Moequeda-Lewis, Breanna Stewart, Brianna Turner and most recently Azzi Fudd--I think what is expected of CW's contribution to the team is quite reasonable expectation and not unrealistic....

Reaction Score
I think that Auriemma makes for a good Bone Yarder......

"I have to say, we're allowed to lose a god damn game once in a while where the other team plays better than us. So how 'bout you write that somewhere," Auriemma said. "South Carolina played way better than Connecticut. That's allowed to happen once in a while. And it's not like, 'What did you guys do wrong?' "
This is hysterical lmao!! Geno! Geno!!

Reaction Score
With either option, I’d like to see the Huskies fall into a region where NC State is their top competition for a trip to the FF. I’m reasonably confident that the Huskies will manage to win 2 games at Gampel. After that, they will likely play a decent ranked team in the Sweet 16. If they get by that game, NC State certainly poses a significant challenge, but it’s one heck of a lot better than having to face Baylor, Oregon or SC again.
UConn has virtually no chance at all of ending up in a regional without Baylor, Oregon or SC. To do that, they would have to be seeded 5th or 12th. Neither is in any way, shape or form a likely scenario.

Reaction Score
Crystal is a fighter, but if she was 5 inches taller she would be just as good as Sabrina.
I just don't see how someone brand new to the program, that hasn't played basketball in a year now, is going to get up to speed, rehab an injury, get back into UConn game shape, and be as good as the starting point guard for the last three seasons who often had to play 40 minutes a night.

Reaction Score
She will be bringing the swag. She has been successful in playing with good players such as Howard Boston Jones and Fudd. She will make all of the players around her better. The foul line jumper that was open all night against SC she will not be afraid to take it. If Liv can roll hard to the basket as she did on a couple of plays Paige will feed her for an easy basket similar to how Oregon runs the Pick and roll. She will shoot the three. She will be the starting point guard game one and by the end of the year, she will be comfortable in her role.
She is definitely a big difference maker and that's why she's gotten so much notoriety across the women's basketball spectrum. She's a very, very special player, indeed. She absolutely presents problems for defenses that very, very few people have and will be such a disruptive force. She's got the ability to make a lot of defensive players look stupid and I'm sure her abilities will make everyone on the Huskie roster better.

Reaction Score
I just don't see how someone brand new to the program, that hasn't played basketball in a year now, is going to get up to speed, rehab an injury, get back into UConn game shape, and be as good as the starting point guard for the last three seasons who often had to play 40 minutes a night.
I don't understand your point. My point was that Crystal is great but too short.

Reaction Score
Every team outside of the top 3 will be hoping for the "fourth region"

Reaction Score
I think that Auriemma makes for a good Bone Yarder......

"I have to say, we're allowed to lose a god damn game once in a while where the other team plays better than us. So how 'bout you write that somewhere," Auriemma said. "South Carolina played way better than Connecticut. That's allowed to happen once in a while. And it's not like, 'What did you guys do wrong?' "
South Carolina obviously played a much better game though what I saw in the first and second quarters was a UConn team that played so sloppily and shot so ineptly that it was embarassing. It just appeared to me and I'm sure others, that most of that wasn't attributable to great play on the part of South Carolina but just poor play on the part of the Huskies. Unforced errors and missed layups and air balls on wide open shots are points I'm making. If you know me, I'm not typically someone who will slam or rip or criticize young ladies but it's just pointing out some serious deficiences that seem to pop up anytime this team steps up on the floor with any team that has good fundamentals and good size. They were totally rattled from the get go and very little had anything to do with stellar USC play. In fact, until the very end of the first quarter, South Carolina was playing only marginally better. For a long while, I though both teams combined wouldn't reach double digits, which says a lot about the beginning of the game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
South Carolina does not make excuses, and would gladly welcome a game with Cox.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha.

No bigger bunch of complainers than many SC fans. Every trouncing by UConn was due to the refs. I've seen no refs talk in any comment from SC fans anywhere about last night's game. Amazing what happens when things are finally going your way.

Reaction Score
South Carolina obviously played a much better game though what I saw in the first and second quarters was a UConn team that played so sloppily and shot so ineptly that it was embarassing. It just appeared to me and I'm sure others, that most of that wasn't attributable to great play on the part of South Carolina but just poor play on the part of the Huskies. Unforced errors and missed layups and air balls on wide open shots are points I'm making. If you know me, I'm not typically someone who will slam or rip or criticize young ladies but it's just pointing out some serious deficiences that seem to pop up anytime this team steps up on the floor with any team that has good fundamentals and good size. They were totally rattled from the get go and very little had anything to do with stellar USC play. In fact, until the very end of the first quarter, South Carolina was playing only marginally better. For a long while, I though both teams combined wouldn't reach double digits, which says a lot about the beginning of the game.
If UConn came out of the gates storming in the first quarter, they could have put that game away. South Carolina wasn't exactly lighting it up either. If after the first quarter let's say UConn was up 22-11, our players' confidence grows, and South Carolina is right back in their familiar here we go again demoralized position.

Reaction Score
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha.

No bigger bunch of complainers than many SC fans. Every trouncing by UConn was due to the refs. I've seen no refs talk in any comment from SC fans anywhere about last night's game. Amazing what happens when things are finally going your way.
Liv alone had more fouls called on her than the entire SC team. And it was a pretty physical game.

Reaction Score
This is certainly a talking point. I will say this, Baylor is COMPLETELY different with Cox on the floor. Yes, the three freshman were early in their career, but losing Cox so abruptly was something Baylor couldn't recover from. I think Baylor and SC will both be improved should they play again, but Baylor's entire team is different because of Cox. Boston is the FUTURE in the post in WCBB, but to me, she will have a very hard time operating while being defended by a senior Cox, who IMO, is the best defensive post in WCBB. She is just as big and strong as Boston, just with a ton more experience and savvy.
There are a lot of ifs in there. One thing is Cox will have to play Boston which normally she does not have someone of her size to go against. As for the other players on Baylor, we match up pretty well and the big key to that game was the fact that Ty Harris shut down Cooper which hurt Baylor's offense.

Reaction Score
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha.

Please point me to the SC fans that ever complained about the refs helping UConn beat SC. Prior matchups have all been one side double digit affairs, especially last night. Please don’t be a sore loser it’s just one game! I can count on my two hands how many times UConn fans crapped on SC because we couldn’t keep the score close or the fact that we never won with A’ja. Some even laughed when she cried after UConn ended her senior season. We Carolina fans could be over here rubbing it in but instead we have all remained respectful after last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom