SC Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is never personal so don't go there with me! Just stating facts and if anyone is taking this personally it's you! If this was the Mens team would you be defending them! Remember they come to Uconn for these games!
Don’t BS me. It’s most definitely personal for you. Did you ever actually play college sports? Do you have any idea just how hard these kids work between practice, weight training and their academic requirements?

JBK

Reaction Score
We have been very fortunate to have so much talent and success throughout the years. The pressure for these ladies to keep up with the past seems to be too much. They do not have the right pieces and bench strength to compete with the best in the country.
They just need to be themselves and be the best they can be. With that said, the greatest coach of all time must help and stop comparing them to the past. Their offense is stagnant and they just do not execute well. He needs to start Aubrey and time play uptempo and get this team running. ONO can outrun must bigs and CW needs to find her game, and it is not shooting jump shots. I have the utmost respect for our HOF coach, but he needs to trust the bench and play the kids he recruited. 4 players playing the whole game is too much and cannot allow the uptempo style UCONN basketball.

Reaction Score
Man we are so spoiled.Several fellow posters thought we would lose 3 or 4 games this year,including me,and that target has been reality,and all three teams we have lost to were or are number 1.All three teams have a roster with more experience,and have proven on any given night they can dominate.We have lacked the killer instinct most of the year,and it is what it is.However,whether we march through the tournament or not,there is little doubt that,in my opinion,that with Westbrook we may have different opinions of how we are this year.That was a huge loss in points put up with this team,with the rythym of the offence.I am expecting this present team to still get through the rest of the season in good standing,and maybe a surprise or two coming up in their favor.
Next year,the sun will be shining more brightly,and more exciting.But I would hope we do not give up on this team until the very end of the season.
I agree with almost everything you said. When we could not make a shot in the first quarter who was available to come off the bench to make a few shots and change the momentum. Nobody. I believe Aubrey was first sub and her offense is based entirely on athleticism not shooting skill.
We played decent defense but for this team shooting like hitting in baseball is contagious. A good start at shooting is rewarded by more, but a poor start results in apprehension and tentativeness. I don't see this changing this season. The team needed this win to prove to themselves that they could win a big game. Beating up weaker teams will not improve their confidence or skill. CD is the only warrior. Liv held her own. Next year I see CW as the sixth man providing the offensive spark without the responsibility of starting. I will continue to root just as hard this year but with adjusted expectations.

Reaction Score
I think that Paige brings the confidence (and skill) that Diana and Maya had previously brought to Storrs and there's no possibility that she won't spark a renaissance in next years team. With the talents and size of that incoming class I'm sure that next years team will not lack confidence or passion and moxie along with their extraordinary talents and abilities, in particular that of putting the ball in the basket.
She will be bringing the swag. She has been successful in playing with good players such as Howard Boston Jones and Fudd. She will make all of the players around her better. The foul line jumper that was open all night against SC she will not be afraid to take it. If Liv can roll hard to the basket as she did on a couple of plays Paige will feed her for an easy basket similar to how Oregon runs the Pick and roll. She will shoot the three. She will be the starting point guard game one and by the end of the year, she will be comfortable in her role.

Reaction Score
Yes. Molly is the only other guard on the team. She would definitely have done worse.
While the recruiting worries have focused on the lack of rebounding and inside offense, this is one of the first years I remember where we did not have an up and coming underclassman guard on the bench.

Reaction Score
I think that Paige brings the confidence (and skill) that Diana and Maya had previously brought to Storrs and there's no possibility that she won't spark a renaissance in next years team. With the talents and size of that incoming class I'm sure that next years team will not lack confidence or passion and moxie along with their extraordinary talents and abilities, in particular that of putting the ball in the basket.
One can only hope...

Reaction Score
We have a VERY GOOD post player .. but we need some players who can get her the ball!
We also need to run some picks for Liv against good post defenders such as Boston and Cox and swing the ball and give it to her in a scoring position. SC ran some picks against our zone for some easy 7 ft jumpers for Boston. We need to start running plays for Liv. Liv played great defense against Boston inside. I think after Cox she is the best Post defender in the country. Its why our defense is pretty good.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While the recruiting worries have focused on the lack of rebounding and inside offense, this is one of the first years I remember where we did not have an up and coming underclassman guard on the bench.
We have not had an adequate 3rd guard in the rotation for 3 years now. The last time UCONN had a third guard it was Freshman Crystal Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
One can only hope...
While I continue to be optimistic about UConn's future, I also am realistic enough to understand that our opponent's (ex. SC) will continue to mature and half our team next year will be frosh. Putting expectations on incoming players that they will play like All Americans their first year is a bit much.

Reaction Score
Not referring to this game but to the team competitiveness. Talent level just isn’t up to levels to compete with the top 4 or 5 teams in the country.
So now we’ll look forward to the NCAA as an under dog probably from the elite 8 on. I’ll still route for them and wins will be that much sweeter. They are certainly capable to win those games but unlike previous years they’ll be underdogs particularly if they get to the final four. Geno is the best in history of the woman’s game and he’s probably already begun planning how get his team in the best position to win.
We have now played the best three teams in the country and they will have confidence that if they play the same way the will easily beat us. The good thing for us is that is not the best we can do against them. If we run some new offensive sets that they are not ready for and find a way to hit some open shots we can play with and beat anybody in the country. Lets go Huskies. Liv is the Key and we need to inject CW with some confidence.

Reaction Score
While I continue to be optimistic about UConn's future, I also am realistic enough to understand that our opponent's (ex. SC) will continue to mature and half our team next year will be frosh. Putting expectations on incoming players that they will play like All Americans their first year is a bit much.
Why not, South Carolina’s 3 freshmen sure played like All Americans last night.

Reaction Score
I agree. Not sure I said anything contrary to that.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

Odd logic.
If they "were bigger, stronger, quicker, and more athletic," they would probably get to loose balls most of the time, no? Why add the gratuitous cliché about desire?
Also, I saw many loose balls coming off the rim and ricocheting off body parts where fortune seemed to favor SC.

Reaction Score
They were tight and it showed.
I think the spin by the media is so over the top, first three loss season since 2013, worst loss at Gampel, etc. In college you get new teams that have nothing to do the history of a program, and they need to make their own history good/bad.
20-3, the three losses were to teams ranked 1,2 ,3.....lets look at the bright side....we are not Notre Dame.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We have not had an adequate 3rd guard in the rotation for 3 years now. The last time UCONN had a third guard it was Freshman Crystal Dangerfield.
Prior to this year, Geno could rotate Lou to the guard spot. Of course that meant that we had to find another wing. I think Geno is trying to do the same thing with Anna, but clearly, against a top team like SC, Anna’s not there yet.

Reaction Score
Odd logic.
If they "were bigger, stronger, quicker, and more athletic," they would probably get to loose balls most of the time, no? Why add the gratuitous cliché about desire?
Also, I saw many loose balls coming off the rim and ricocheting off body parts where fortune seemed to favor SC.
I believe Megan said it in the post-game press conference.

Reaction Score
People! Let's not turn on each other because we are upset at a loss... Look at the numbers! We outrebounded them! Blocks they were plus 1. Assists they were plus 2. TURNOVERS and MISSED SHOTS lost the game! Both are issues of concentration and maturity. We went 1 for 17 in the 1st Qtr? We make half of those and it changes the tenor of the game. Relax people, our kids need to grow up, theyre just not big game ready yet. Go Huskies!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why do those easy to learn offenses lead to so many more open shots?
Because it is easy to learn the players have little difficulty executing the offense and adjusting when something does not go as planned. That is just a guess. So, to answer your question, I don't know.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I though Liv all around played pretty well tonight. She forced Boston into five three pointers, she came into this game with zero attempts.

Much different from Oregon (at times) and Baylor games where I felt Liv pretty much got dominated, but then again, she was only going up against a freshman.
Yes, but a generational freshman.:cool: Ha Ha.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I was responding to a poster who commented that Christyn had only played one good game last year vs ND. You and others on this board seem intent on bashing Christyn when she’s struggling. I don’t pretend to understand your motivation, but this has become a personal issue for you.

Please remember that these are young people, doing their best. They are going to come up short at times. The last thing they need is a bunch of grumpy old men who think they know something about basketball directing bitter personal attacks at them.

I guess I thought we had a better class of fan on the BY. Unfortunately, at some point after the game last night, I sadly realized that we are no better than the folks who hurl a constant barrage of emotional criticism at their team over on VolNation.
The Boneyard sounds like Volnation. Overated, highly ranked players, too many missed layups, too many missed free throws, too many turnovers, and too many players who cannot shoot accurately. Some of the negative comments made against ND and Tennessee are coming back on UConn. Need to be careful talking about teams when they are down even though UConn is not down. But, one would never know it judging by the comments on this thread.

Reaction Score
I think that Auriemma makes for a good Bone Yarder......

"I have to say, we're allowed to lose a god damn game once in a while where the other team plays better than us. So how 'bout you write that somewhere," Auriemma said. "South Carolina played way better than Connecticut. That's allowed to happen once in a while. And it's not like, 'What did you guys do wrong?' "

Reaction Score
A great joy of college basketball is that coaching and time can make almost anything happen. This team has enough talent, hopefully a road to Damascus moment will occur and they will play up to that talent.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
FWIW, I don't think I'd ever go see another game in Columbia. I might be in the minority, but I just don't feel like there is a place for that kind of talk in sports (or anywhere, really).
I think I can remember another team that had a bit of a problem with the SC fans a couple of years ago but it was proven to be a non incident.... :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think some folks just need to put an old game on from an undefeated season every time UConn is playing and call it a day.
I have been doing this for quite a while now but those days are numbered because YouTube allegedly won't work on my Smart TV's browser soon...

Reaction Score
Not all losses are the same. Outside of the opening tip, this team was bossed wire-to-wire, down by double digits from 24 seconds into the second quarter on. Worse if not for Ms. Dangerfield's shooting heroics, who btw, seems more effective as a 2 than a 1 - a problem on a team without a true 1. The two #1 overalls, 12 total points on 6 for 22. Three starters, 6 for 27 for 12 points - game over.

Someone else noted - so this is how it feels to be the "other team" in a UConn matchup - spot on.

Call it what you like - spoiled or whatever - I think we may forgive those seeing this team entirely outmatched, with no real chance to win, where the goal is to get the spread in single-digits as jarring...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom