SC Postgame Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The bad news is UConn scored only 2 points in 1st quarter, the good news is that South Carolina only scored 11.

It was okay for Geno to pull Anna BUT it should have been to say “you can do it—go get ‘em.” Then send her back to scorer’s table. Instead, he ran up the white flag. The team was told the player who invigorated the team the last time out can’t hack it. No wonder they flopped. And Anna can’t pass to players who aren’t moving, who aren’t getting open. She made the perfect pass to first open player she saw. CW and MW are our designated scorers. There should have been a backup plan that Turned to Anna as primary shooter. Yes, she was missing. So was everyone. She makes one and confidence is back. Instead, poor Crystal has to do all the work. The defense was okay for a while. Sending Aubrey in, a girl afraid to shoot, was questionable when it was offense that we needed. I really never thought they had much of a chance—Baylor, Oregon, and South Carolina have big trees to stop our Christmas trees and single skinny pine.

Reaction Score
The only comment I have to make is a recommendation that Christyn Williams spend some time with a shooting coach. I have never seen a player fire up so many set shot air balls. I'm not trying to be critical of her - I love the rest of her game - but her set shooting leaves a lot to be desired.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield better be an All-American after her performance last night. She and ONO came to play. ONO battled. She did the best she could. She'll get better and stronger with time. Crystal is a true leader on this team, but she can't take every shot and make every play.

There's an old interview where Geno talks about Diana Taurasi breaking down in her senior season after a loss. Basically Taurasi couldn't handle doing every single thing for that team and Geno called out the other players for doing nothing to help lighten the load for her. If he hasn't already, Geno really needs to give that speech again to this team.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Many appear to be writing off UConn as a No. 1 seed. Even allotting top seeds to Baylor, South Carolina and Oregon, can't the Huskies still earn the fourth No. 1 seed? It seems that the other teams in contention for a No. 1 seed--NC State, Mississippi State, Louisville, Stanford, UCLA, et al--all have difficult conference and conference tournament games remaining and all could lose another game or two.

If UConn completes the regular season without any more losses and wins its conference tournament, might that not be enough to earn the fourth No. 1 seed?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
The only comment I have to make is a recommendation that Christyn Williams spend some time with a shooting coach. I have never seen a player fire up so many set shot air balls. I'm not trying to be critical of her - I love the rest of her game - but her set shooting leaves a lot to be desired.
Remember when Collier spent time working with a shooting coach after her sophomore year? Some things are best left alone.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony offers his view of this year's dimished expectations. Mike Anthony: UConn’s offensive woes and losses to the nation’s best show that the Final Four streak can’t last forever

"And after each loss — to Baylor in Hartford, to Oregon in Storrs, at South Carolina on Monday night before a deafening crowd of 18,000 at Colonial Life Arena — there’s been a painstaking search for answers about a UConn team that really isn’t difficult to figure out.

The Huskies (20-3) are good, though not by their own historic standards.

They are good, though probably not Final Four good."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They were tight and it showed.
I think the spin by the media is so over the top, first three loss season since 2013, worst loss at Gampel, etc. In college you get new teams that have nothing to do the history of a program, and they need to make their own history good/bad.
20-3, the three losses were to teams ranked 1,2 ,3.....lets look at the bright side....we are not Notre Dame.

To follow up, ther really is no place that has as much pressure to play as UConn. Everyone who comes here has the added internal mandate not to screw up the Legacy of UConn. If you think about it, the DT's and Maya's of the world did not have the full weight of UConn's Legacy to overcome and they flourished. Of course by the time Stewie came, the legacy had grown to vast proportions but a singular talent like Stewie who had unreal confidence (she did say 4 straight) and skill was made to handle the pressure. And even she had growing pains but had All Americans like Bria Hartley and Dolson to lean on. And would Moriah and Morgan been able to develop as well if they were not a bit under the radar since all eyes were on Stewie.

This is the first class with no AA and our best player really does not make other teams change their plans much, our team size is a big issue and this group is also fighting the pain of three consecutive FF disappointments. We really have to put ourselves into that crucible and try to understand what this team is going through. Yes, they signed up for it but no one really understands it until they live it.

I hope they can get back to their Memphis form and have some fun and that we understand their limitations and that no matter what happens, we did beat ND and TN.

Reaction Score
I was responding to a poster who commented that Christyn had only played one good game last year vs ND. You and others on this board seem intent on bashing Christyn when she’s struggling. I don’t pretend to understand your motivation, but this has become a personal issue for you.

Please remember that these are young people, doing their best. They are going to come up short at times. The last thing they need is a bunch of grumpy old men who think they know something about basketball directing bitter personal attacks at them.

I guess I thought we had a better class of fan on the BY. Unfortunately, at some point after the game last night, I sadly realized that we are no better than the folks who hurl a constant barrage of emotional criticism at their team over on VolNation.

Really? So it is ok for you to disparage other players when you say no one should get a chance when Williams is playing poorly but other posters are chastised for pointing out that Williams is playing poorly and maybe an alternative should be explored? Kinda hard to understand that logic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe, but MD winning the BIG is not a lock. They are currently tied with Iowa, who has the best HC in the BIG imo. A year after Iowa made a Cinderella run to the Elite 8, lead by their senior NPOY, HC Lisa Bluder once again has her unheralded group of players knocking at the door of another league championship.

The key will be who gets the home court advantage for the conference tournament. If you think Columbia, SC is a tough place to play, try playing in Ames, IO in front of 17,000 screaming Hawkeye fans.

In addition to Iowa, both Indiana & Northwestern have the ability to knock off MD. Just ask SC who was stunned by IN earlier this season.

Reaction Score
I wasn't going to post anything about last night's game (and was actually going to avoid the BY for a few days), but here I am...

So I went to the game last night -- my first time seeing SC in Columbia, but they were also at the Greensboro regional last year. There were two SC fans sitting next to us in Greensboro that screamed the entire game. Not for SC, but against Baylor. Last night was that multiplied by 18,000.

Some gems from the people behind us (I took notes)...
"I don't know where UConn finds all of these tall, skinny white girls who look like they're on crack. They have a new one every year." (Not sure who he was referring to. Maybe Liv? But she's not white. Maybe Anna? But she's not exactly tall and skinny...)

"I wish Boston would just f* take out her knees." (Referring to Liv)

"I'm glad coach didn't recruit any of these f* losers."

FWIW, I don't think I'd ever go see another game in Columbia. I might be in the minority, but I just don't feel like there is a place for that kind of talk in sports (or anywhere, really).

With that being said, the home court advantage that all of those people screaming at the opposing team is exactly the advantage that Geno laments UConn has lost. I've been to games at both Gampel and XL, and it was nothing like last night's atmosphere. It's absolutely stifling to teams who aren't used to it.

Not trying to make excuses, but I feel like that really explains the first quarter. Then they just couldn't catch up.

----

Some other things from my notes...

• For someone who preaches the importance of body language on the bench, Geno unraveled in the second half. I know he was frustrated, but. man, keep it together. The bench players were doing their best to keep the team encouraged, but, sheesh.
  • Geno and Jamelle were constantly talking. More so than I've seen him with any assistant (CD included) while the game is going on. Maybe that's just two HCs doing their thing, but I think it will be a good thing come March.
  • Kyla is coaching her heart out from the bench. Especially in the first half when the defense was down at their end, she was yelling about movement and getting into stances.
  • Before the game even started, Anna's eyes were as big as saucers. A few more big games on the road like this and she'll be fine. (After all, look at her growth at home comparing the Baylor and Oregon games...)
  • This SC squad should show UConn how the right freshmen into your program can make a huge impact very early. I think Paige and Aaliyah will be ready to play with anyone by next January.
  • Like others have said, Liv really battled. I know Boston isn't Lauren Cox (and I hope we get to see that matchup), but we should all be proud of how she threw herself around. There was a lot of pushing being done...
  • Aubrey is going to keep practicing driving the lane against bigger players. By junior year, she's going to be a fearless force. Patience, grasshoppers.
---

The sky is not falling. With the way the schedule shook out this year, we just happened to play 1-3 and no one from 4-10. I like our chances against 4-10 and really like our chances against 11-351.

Also, I hope some of you showed more grace and understanding as your kids were growing up as you're showing towards kids you don't even know.

I think some folks just need to put an old game on from an undefeated season every time UConn is playing and call it a day.

This was my second time going to this game in Columbia and I have to say all the SC fans we have been around have been great. There will always be a few bad seeds in every fan base that should be ignored. The atmosphere is incredible and a great place to see a game. I definitely recommend giving it another chance or for anyone else who hasn’t been there to try making it sometime.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really? So it is ok for you to disparage other players when you say no one should get a chance when Williams is playing poorly but other posters are chastised for pointing out that Williams is playing poorly and maybe an alternative should be explored? Kinda hard to understand that logic.
I think the rest of the BY is tired of this back and forth, so this will be my last comment on the subject.

IMO, it is certainly acceptable to provide constructive criticism about the team and the coaches. Where I draw the line is with the relentless and personal player bashing that occurs all too frequently on this board.

These are young people trying to do their best. I know for a fact that some players and their families read the BY. Much of the player bashing is too personal and hurtful.

My request to the BY is simple. Think about what you’re posting. If you would be angered if some stranger said the same thing about you daughter or son, then consider taking the advice of Coach Herm Edwards, “Don’t hit send.”

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing for much of this season but now I’m not at all sure. On paper the incoming freshman look great but we know how difficult it is for freshmen to impact a UConn team and none of next year’s returning players have yet proven that they are capable of stepping up in big games. Having said that I remain optimistic that MW, CW and Ono will show some heart and help get us back to another final four,
This year we are too predictable because our lack of diversity having no backups and no low post game. I believe next year we can do a lot of things we aren’t capable of this year. And everyone is a year older. We lost to these three teams by about 18 but I also believe we could have won all three. Next year will be different. Some of those freshman are studs and we will have Westbrook. We are good. There has to be a year like this. All well not all, but most of out title teams needed a year of getting their ass kicked before it fueled them to the top. I like experiencing the process. My heart goes out to Crystal. She won’t get to taste the rewards of next season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A good number of us look to next year as a more favorable year and there are all sorts of reasons, good reasons, for optimism. But what we are adding is 5 freshman who have much to learn. Hopefully there will be a chemistry to next season's team that seems to be missing this year; that I fervently hope comes to pass. However, the notion that we are going to breeze to the top is an errant one.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Westbrook next year will be as good as Crystal is this year?

Reaction Score
Maybe, but MD winning the BIG is not a lock. They are currently tied with Iowa, who has the best HC in the BIG imo. A year after Iowa made a Cinderella run to the Elite 8, lead by their senior NPOY, HC Lisa Bluder once again has her unheralded group of players knocking at the door of another league championship.

The key will be who gets the home court advantage for the conference tournament. If you think Columbia, SC is a tough place to play, try playing in Ames, IO in front of 17,000 screaming Hawkeye fans.

In addition to Iowa, both Indiana & Northwestern have the ability to knock off MD. Just ask SC who was stunned by IN earlier this season.

Didn’t know Iowa was drawing 17,000. In their last two home games vs. ranked opponents (#12 Ind and #17 MD, their only home games ytd vs a ranked opponent) they averaged around 6,900. Exactly 6,689 vs Md. if anyone is counting. UCONN played in front of over 18,000 actual last night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next year will be interesting. If Paige is the point guard, Westbrook could be the two guard. Her sophomore year was certainly better. Nika is also not planning on playing mop-up minutes.
I need to say one final thing about the SC loss. It is evident that SC had the better talent, both on the floor and on the bench. To compete in such an environment and, in fact, to have any shot at an upset, requires toughness. We needed players who are willing and able to throw punches, not simply absorb them.

- Crystal Dangerfield knows how to do that and threw punches all night.
- Olivia looks like she is getting that kind of attitude, as well. I would wager that SC's Boston gained respect
for Olivia last night.
- Walker play hard, but not with the kind of " tough defiance" necessary. She took a lot more than she gave.
- Williams just didn't show anything.
- And UCONN is starting a freshman from Poland because our one recruit is not a good basketball player,
and the word toughness is not applicable to her. Tentative, hesitant, and sneaky, maybe, but not gritty.
Ania, while tough at the core, is not "big game tough" yet. She played conservatively, and it showed.

So we don't have enough players who can reach deep down and counter-punch a more talented opponent until they panic. Consequently, there was never a chance of a comeback or " upset win," because two players willing to battle is not nearly enough. We need a team of them.

Reaction Score
You keep pushing this narrative but also at that time our three freshmen were in their first month against an experienced laden team. South Carolina does not make excuses, and would gladly welcome a game with Cox. Boston continues to show that she plays well above her years.

This is certainly a talking point. I will say this, Baylor is COMPLETELY different with Cox on the floor. Yes, the three freshman were early in their career, but losing Cox so abruptly was something Baylor couldn't recover from. I think Baylor and SC will both be improved should they play again, but Baylor's entire team is different because of Cox. Boston is the FUTURE in the post in WCBB, but to me, she will have a very hard time operating while being defended by a senior Cox, who IMO, is the best defensive post in WCBB. She is just as big and strong as Boston, just with a ton more experience and savvy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom