SC Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Several BY'ers have responded to my question with the same basic answer, “Anyone.” Here’s why I think that’s a bad idea.

Clearly Christyn had a bad game. The options to replace her were the freshmen, who played like deer in the headlights, or any of the other bench players (Kyla, Molly, Evelyn or Touly). IMO, it would have been unfair to any of the bench players to throw them to the wolves. What exactly is gained by, say, putting Kyla out there when she cannot possibly match up against the speed and athleticism of SC?

I think Geno had to stay with Christyn, let her experience all the bad that comes from playing badly in a loss, and hope that the bad taste that comes from it reaches into her heart, allowing her to find a new level of play she didn’t know she had in her.

Not sure why Makurat tonight and Ono in some past games can “earn” the bench but Williams needs to stay on the court to “find a new level of play” when she plays as poorly as she did tonight on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
Yup, Geno shot 36%, had a bunch of turnovers, etc.
Yup, it's on Geno. :rolleyes:
Not referring to this game but to the team competitiveness. Talent level just isn’t up to levels to compete with the top 4 or 5 teams in the country.
So now we’ll look forward to the NCAA as an under dog probably from the elite 8 on. I’ll still route for them and wins will be that much sweeter. They are certainly capable to win those games but unlike previous years they’ll be underdogs particularly if they get to the final four. Geno is the best in history of the woman’s game and he’s probably already begun planning how get his team in the best position to win.

Reaction Score
Well, I do appreciate and envy your optimism -- I need more of that in my life lol! Of course I want this team to get better and fulfill its potential, compete with confidence and end on a high note. Let's hope it happens.
No need to envy but I do appreciate the appreciation ;) for my optimism. It's just how I dont let myself get disappointed in life and stay in a positive focus in general. But anyway, I wholeheartedly have accord with you that I want us to get better and reach the roof of our potential. The peak is there but were struggling to ascend and yes confidence is one of those factors. If we fail to reach the top then all I can say is we did what we could. Let's just hope we can go as high as we can.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield again carried the team offensively. I wish she could knock down some shots at the start of big games to settle things down for everyone else. But this performance should help get her name on the wall.

Walker played a bit better tonight but she isn’t a player that is capable of carrying a team. Last year she was a solid role player, and I think that’s where she is most comfortable.The most frustrating thing is her decision making. She has to be better.

The perplexing player to me is CW. Last year she had a huge game at ND, hit some threes down the stretch against Baylor, and was a major reason why we got to the final four. She even played well against ND In the final four. So this year I thought she was going to have a first team AA type campaign. She looked ready to play huge early against Baylor, but her season long shooting woes have seemingly crumbled her self confidence. A true finesse player, she gets completely taken out of games by her own confidence and others physicality. I hope she can figure it out because to me she is the difference.

Now that we have faced our big tests, my eyes say this is an elite eight team. I think they have the pieces to make a run, but it doesn’t look like they have the belief.
C.W. Seems tired and lethargic. She doesn’t appear to be playing with the passion she displayed in her freshman year and her shot is definitely off. She wasn’t on campus most of the summer working out with her team mates. She seemed to go from tourney to tourney. To much basketball? If she doesn’t get her act together, she could lose her starting job to one of the incoming freshmen. Could it be something else?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Man we are so spoiled.Several fellow posters thought we would lose 3 or 4 games this year,including me,and that target has been reality,and all three teams we have lost to were or are number 1.All three teams have a roster with more experience,and have proven on any given night they can dominate.We have lacked the killer instinct most of the year,and it is what it is.However,whether we march through the tournament or not,there is little doubt that,in my opinion,that with Westbrook we may have different opinions of how we are this year.That was a huge loss in points put up with this team,with the rythym of the offence.I am expecting this present team to still get through the rest of the season in good standing,and maybe a surprise or two coming up in their favor.
Next year,the sun will be shining more brightly,and more exciting.But I would hope we do not give up on this team until the very end of the season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I though Liv all around played pretty well tonight. She forced Boston into five three pointers, she came into this game with zero attempts.

Much different from Oregon (at times) and Baylor games where I felt Liv pretty much got dominated, but then again, she was only going up against a freshman.

Did not hurt that when Aliyah made her first 3, she probably thought she was Katie Lou . Still, I thought Liv was really competing. Especially on defense

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In virtually all comments; 10 pages worth,
The coaching staff gets a virtual mulligan.

Do they bare no responsibility for the team's (sadly) consistent failure against
top teams?

I'm sure...even if we give them a pass; they are agonizing over their efforts.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In virtually all comments; 10 pages worth,
The coaching staff gets a virtual mulligan.

Do they bare no responsibility for the team's (sadly) consistent failure against
top teams?

I'm sure...even if we give them a pass; they are agonizing over their efforts.

or the coaching staff decided not to show Baylor, SC and OR our best plays in preparation for the FF. ;):rolleyes::oops:

Reaction Score
Which is a spot they dont deserve and will probably not have the opportunity to earn. That two seed is typically the best 2 seed. I think UConn is a 3 seed. If they get the 4th one seed, the committee would be protecting them IMO
The committee has protected Tennessee for the last 4 years by putting them in the tournament just to keep their streak going!

Reaction Score
I think that we should blame everybody for this year: coaches, and players. I also noticed that people have been picking on Crystal especially. Well......great players play great surrounded by great players.....like Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, and Katie Lou Samuelson. Glad that she had that opportunity. Easier to coach as well.

Game is over folks. Now they have to play vastly inferior teams for the rest of the season until they are defeated in the Tourney.

This is what I have to say about that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Several BY'ers have responded to my question with the same basic answer, “Anyone.” Here’s why I think that’s a bad idea.

Clearly Christyn had a bad game. The options to replace her were the freshmen, who played like deer in the headlights, or any of the other bench players (Kyla, Molly, Evelyn or Touly). IMO, it would have been unfair to any of the bench players to throw them to the wolves. What exactly is gained by, say, putting Kyla out there when she cannot possibly match up against the speed and athleticism of SC?

I think Geno had to stay with Christyn, let her experience all the bad that comes from playing badly in a loss, and hope that the bad taste that comes from it reaches into her heart, allowing her to find a new level of play she didn’t know she had in her.
From her own mouth she learned From the Oregon game!

Reaction Score
C.W. Seems tired and lethargic. She doesn’t appear to be playing with the passion she displayed in her freshman year and her shot is definitely off
Noticed the same thing. If players are going to just go through the motions out there, let Kyla play. At least she's willing to take a charge. Also this team has zero chemistry.

Reaction Score
How soon they forget. As I pointed out in another thread, when Lou was injured just before the Big Dance last season, Christyn stepped up BIG! She scored in double figures in all 5 tournament games, shooting over 50% for the tourney. Christyn was UConn’s 2nd leading scorer and provided unexpected strength inside as the team’s 3rd leading rebounder.

But hey, maybe you missed the NCAA tournament last year...,,, :confused:
Last year has nothing to do with this year! One bad game okay but 0 for 3 in your 3 toughest games of the season! There's a problem!

Reaction Score
South Carolina just looked very good in streaks on both sides of the ball...

...1st Qtr...their defense covered UConn like blanket...allowing 1 of 16 from the field for two points...That, in a big game was a killer.

....Boston had another double double night....the 1st Qtr she had 9 rebounds and 2 blocked shots...a heck of a freshman.

...3rd Qtr...each of South Carolina's forwards hit a three pointer to give SC 3 three pointers early in the 3rd to increase the lead.

...4th Qtr...SC's defense again kicked in holding the Huskies to 11 and not allowing a chance to come from behind.

Impressive game for South Carolina.

Reaction Score
A very perplexing analysis upon first read: Even more so when testing the analysis. If UConn was to shoot the same percentage as South Carolina on their 61 shots, the Huskies would have made 5 more baskets. Even if all 5 of those baskets were three pointers, UConn still loses the game.
And if Megan and Christyn hit their average. Uconn wins by one. But either one of these mean squat!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last year has nothing to do with this year! One bad game okay but 0 for 3 in your 3 toughest games of the season! There's a problem!
I was responding to a poster who commented that Christyn had only played one good game last year vs ND. You and others on this board seem intent on bashing Christyn when she’s struggling. I don’t pretend to understand your motivation, but this has become a personal issue for you.

Please remember that these are young people, doing their best. They are going to come up short at times. The last thing they need is a bunch of grumpy old men who think they know something about basketball directing bitter personal attacks at them.

I guess I thought we had a better class of fan on the BY. Unfortunately, at some point after the game last night, I sadly realized that we are no better than the folks who hurl a constant barrage of emotional criticism at their team over on VolNation.

Reaction Score
South Carolina just looked very good in streaks on both sides of the ball...

...1st Qtr...their defense covered UConn like blanket...allowing 1 of 16 from the field for two points...That, in a big game was a killer.

....Boston had another double double night....the 1st Qtr she had 9 rebounds and 2 blocked shots...a heck of a freshman.

...3rd Qtr...each of South Carolina's forwards hit a three pointer to give SC 3 three pointers early in the 3rd to increase the lead.

...4th Qtr...SC's defense again kicked in holding the Huskies to 11 and not allowing a chance to come from behind.

Impressive game for South Carolina.
Olivia outplayed Boston in the last 3 quarters!!!

Reaction Score
Crystal.

I disagree. Kelly Faris was a big 5’11” guard who could control the game defensively and became a very, very good 3 point shooter. She did EVERYTHING for us. She was tough. Crystal has a ton of talent, but she is just so small. I feel bad for her and I love her, but she will have a very hard time playing at the next level. Especially since she has a propensity for turning the ball over.

Reaction Score
I was responding to a poster who commented that Christyn had only played one good game last year vs ND. You and others on this board seem intent on bashing Christyn when she’s struggling. I don’t pretend to understand your motivation, but this has become a personal issue for you.

Please remember that these are young people, doing their best. They are going to come up short at times. The last thing they need is a bunch of grumpy old men who think they know something about basketball directing bitter personal attacks at them.

I guess I thought we had a better class of fan on the BY. Unfortunately, at some point after the game last night, I sadly realized that we are no better than the folks who hurl a constant barrage of emotional criticism at their team over on VolNation.
It is never personal so don't go there with me! Just stating facts and if anyone is taking this personally it's you! If this was the Mens team would you be defending them! Remember they come to Uconn for these games!

Reaction Score
Sad, I am just sad...another terrible "big game" loss.
Those 2 down recruiting years have really hurt. I thought Geno was in trouble when he recruited Molly and Kayla. There was very little info on either and neither was heavily recruited by any big programs. It’s also hard to believe walker and Williams were the #1 recruits coming out of high school the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom