SC Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Every time Boston scored or grabbed a rebound, it turned my stomach. I think of what it might have been and could see her playing along side ONO.
Not sure how much difference Boston would really make. We’re basically a slow team without much size. Boston is just a thicker Liv. Not sure either would be comfortable playing along with the other. Their games are pretty similar, except for Boston’s strength.

Teams with long, quick defenders have made us look pretty bad. Good thing there are only a handful of those teams. No idea how the tournament will unfold, but there are some bad matchups out there for us.

Reaction Score
Well, well, well. sigh. It is what it is. I saw what I saw. And, IT is real. I just would like people to accept reality.

Thank you, there is nothing more I hate than giving credit when it's due! ;)
Defense wins championships, SC has the D down. Credit when due....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You don't know that and it's not true that Crystal is not a better player than Faris.
Yea that was a good idea. Tonight was definitely the night to get Molly her first minutes EVER against a top 10 team. I’m surprised Geno didn’t think of that. Faris signature game was hounding a rival by the name of Skylar Diggins . Tonight Crystal tried and failed miserably to guard Harris. Harris might have cemented her AA status and SEC player of the year by half time.

Reaction Score
Definitely congrats to SC. Beyond that what it there to say? I think the graduation of a lot of seniors from the top teams will make us look better than we are next year. I love our girls but I'm realistic about where our team is. There's A LOT of doubt and uncertainty and it can be contagious... We are not competitive, our girls do not believe they have what it takes to compete at the highest level. They are very aggressive and celebratory against mediocre teams and are very passive against real competition. It reminds me of what coach once said about "false confidence", we have another example of it tonight and what it looks like when it's tested. I pray it doesn't carry over to next next year and they find a way to move beyond it. It makes the game very hard to watch, their aura, disposition... Its just all in their body language and game. Go Huskies!
I think that Paige brings the confidence (and skill) that Diana and Maya had previously brought to Storrs and there's no possibility that she won't spark a renaissance in next years team. With the talents and size of that incoming class I'm sure that next years team will not lack confidence or passion and moxie along with their extraordinary talents and abilities, in particular that of putting the ball in the basket.

Reaction Score
Anna and Aubrey, Aubrey especially, had bad games BUT when Geno pulled Anna, I knew it was all over. I would have pulled CW instead. Even on an off day, Anna was still doing something. Aubrey’s failure to shoot the open three just indicates she’s not ready to be on the floor.
CW has been playing poorly for quite some time and I'm sure at least some of it is confidence. Right now, she is not deserving of the amount of playing time she's been getting, sorry to say.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yea that was a good idea. Tonight was definitely the night to get Molly her first minutes EVER against a top 10 team. I’m surprised Geno didn’t think of that. Faris signature game was hounding a rival by the name of Skylar Diggins . Tonight Crystal tried and failed miserably to guard Harris. Harris might have cemented her AA status and SEC player of the year by half time.
At least, we are still helping create AA players. :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nobody stays on top forever. It’s time for another school to stand on top of the mountain of WBB. It’s not the end of the world. UConn will still field a team.
Lol so now our consolation prize is that the program won't be terminated. Wow awesome, I feel amazingly better.

Reaction Score
Someone has to tell Anna: "When you are open, SHOOT the ball!"
I think it is in her head that she needs to get the ball to other players in order for the team to function. She wasn’t that open that it demanded a shot but she needs to try. Meg scores as many points as she does because she takes shots that perhaps she shouldn’t but if she doesn’t, who will?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Every time Boston scored or grabbed a rebound, it turned my stomach. I think of what it might have been and could see her playing along side ONO.
Are you still distraught over the girl who broke up with you in high school? I beg you to get over it and move on.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You are basing that on Faris being better? What about the other parts of their games. Dangerfield has been an offensive factor for three years while Faris was for two years. Also, Faris had more talented teammates. Dangerfield did just fine tonight offensively.

Reaction Score
Yep! We can kick sand in the face of every 96lb weakling on the beach
I kinda think that our three losses were pretty bad losses. Double digit losses aren't really very impressive. Two of those losses were on their home court. How many double digit losses has UConn had in the last 15 years??? I can't ever recall them losing like they've done this year in forever.

Reaction Score
Some of SC freshmen would not be starting for UConn or getting as much playing time because they would struggle with UConn's complex offense. I believe that is one reason many teams have freshmen playing so well this season, their offenses are easier to learn and adjust to.

UConns offense is really simple. Nothing complex about it. However with great shooters and spacing it is hard to defend. When u have good slashers who can shoot combined with post players who can shoot it becomes difficult to defend. UConn lacks those key elements right now.

I think still UConn is a contender this year, but they are not the alpha.

Reaction Score
Some of SC freshmen would not be starting for UConn or getting as much playing time because they would struggle with UConn's complex offense. I believe that is one reason many teams have freshmen playing so well this season, their offenses are easier to learn and adjust to.
Why do those easy to learn offenses lead to so many more open shots?

Reaction Score
Does she ever look at the box score before talking? UConn tied SC in rebounds AND in offensive rebounds. If UConn shot the same % as SC, they win.

A very perplexing analysis upon first read: Even more so when testing the analysis. If UConn was to shoot the same percentage as South Carolina on their 61 shots, the Huskies would have made 5 more baskets. Even if all 5 of those baskets were three pointers, UConn still loses the game.

Reaction Score
I finally got to watch the second half of the game. The only silver lining of the season would be getting Dangerfield on the wall, she’s been the most consistent in the big games this season. But getting her on the wall seems like a long shot.
CW and Megan continue to disappear in the big games. Geno needs to take a different approach with these two, a la, benching Stewie and Tuck in 2015. However, with the remaining games of the season being conference games, it won’t make a major difference.
I thought this team had enough to beat SC all season. Hopefully we get a luck of the draw in the tournament

Reaction Score
I will add my comments:

1. I think we learned what it must be like for fans of, say, E. Carolina when they play UCONN. You are never in the game and, most of the time, you are embarrassed for the players.

2. 2 points in the first quarter for UCONN. We got to see history. That's a plus. Do you think someone will make UCONN tee- shirts with a big number "2" on it?

3. I'm going to take the heat for this one, but; Christen Williams has to be the worst player ever to be given the award of POY in high school. I think she missed 5 lay-ups and, of course, her outside shots were zeros, usually hitting nothing. I fully expect her to be a bench player next year.

4. Dangerfield is the last hero of the great UCONN terms we have all known for the passed two decades. But she can't do it all by herself. When she leaves, we begin from scratch.

5. The shine even went off of the Polish star tonight, and I was shocked by how poorly Ania played. She couldn't hold on to the ball; she looked slow; her shot was not there, and she just faded away.

6. The team was lifeless. Every loose ball went to SC, and UCONN had one fast break. When it looked as though UCONN did have an opportunity, they never could convert. They just passed the ball aimlessly around, hoping someone could do something.

7. Aubrey looks like she has only played basketball in the driveway with her baby brothers. Do they even have a coach at Ossining High? Did you all notice when Aubrey had an open look and, instead of shooting, she just threw the ball away? I think the university might be better off if she took her great athleticism to the track or volley ball teams. She does not belong in a Division I basketball game.

8. Megan still just throws the ball away, absolutely destroying any possibility of momentum, and she is not particularly good at creating her own shot. She makes some of the most "telegraphed passes" I have seen since the the coverage of moon landing. And often those passes, if they are not to the other team, are to no one. She does not belong in any discussion for All American status.

9. Olivia looked like she was out there to play. She battled hard and made a few nice plays. She can't make a free throw for love or money. And everyone knows that they can disregard any shot she lines up from deep. Maybe in another lifetime. But, along with Crystal she gave her all.

10. Please don't anyone tell me we will have a bounce back game on Sunday ( or whenever our
next game is ). Beating some wounded duck like SMU or Tulsa does not even give this team the opportunity to do that. Those teams do not belong in Division I. I fear that our players begin thinking they are better than they are due to that level of competition. Thank the gods of basketball that UCONN is moving away from that next season.

So, if this is a measuring stick, we all know exactly where it is now placed. This team will likely still be,
at worst, a third seed in some location not near Connecticut. But I think the door closes immediately after the first round. And it could close in game one if we get up against a hot team.

There are not any good excuses for what happened today. You have now seen this year's team.
They went up against a bigger, stronger team and lost. They had the weight of UConn history on their shoulders, so I give them a break. If you think they are really this bad, you haven’t been paying attention. The problem is that I am not sure they were prepared emotionally for the game. Hard practices and Xs and Os don’t prepare them for going up against vastly superior teams. Geno should have told them after 1st quarter forget the score, play like your in the driveway back home, let it fly, and enjoy yourselves. I don’t care if you lose by 100 but I want to see a little joy.

Reaction Score
A similar pattern to the other two losses and now it’s looking like a team is just not mentally prepared to take on elite teams. I think it’s gotten into the heads of three or four of our key players that they are not a good shooting team, and that they are not going to play well in really big games. And because they believe it, it has become true.

I am going to come right out and say that I think the team needs a psychologist to help clear it of this mindset. It’s become a legitimate story over the past three or so seasons that the team often plays tight and tentative when the stakes are the highest.

Part of the problem I believe is that the program has worn its historic success, including the absurd narrative that it was bad for the game, like a ball and chain. That starts with the head coach by the way, which is why the problem has become a stubbornly embedded characteristic in program culture.

So yes, the team looks fragile. The expression on Dangerfield’s face a couple of times tonight said as much. And the missed layups this season… I have never seen anything remotely like it from a Connecticut team. And I hope I never do again.
What I think they need is one good post player, not a psychologist.

Reaction Score
Nobody stays on top forever. It’s time for another school to stand on top of the mountain of WBB. It’s not the end of the world. UConn will still field a team.
sounds like Golden state 5 NBA finals now worst team in the NBA

Reaction Score
Congrats to SC.
Felt bad for CD, aside from Liv, nobody else showed up.
MW and CW .... no show again.
Ania .. too slow and suddenly lost all confidence and not shooting.
Aubrey is just not ready, zero offense and can't never held on the ball.

Bright spot .... looking forward for the new crews.
Hope this team proofs us wrong by making the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom