SC Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Christynl played well in that December game, her freshman year, against Notre Dame. Since then, she has been good once or twice. And has stopped showing up against good teams. She can't even make a lay-up, which is her core strength.
How soon they forget. As I pointed out in another thread, when Lou was injured just before the Big Dance last season, Christyn stepped up BIG! She scored in double figures in all 5 tournament games, shooting over 50% for the tourney. Christyn was UConn’s 2nd leading scorer and provided unexpected strength inside as the team’s 3rd leading rebounder.

But hey, maybe you missed the NCAA tournament last year...,,, :confused:

Reaction Score
I think what some of these players need are knee pads autographed by Jen Rizzotti and then show them some clips of Jen or many others going all out for a loose ball even when up by 20. That’s how UConn plays !

Reaction Score
This team is what it is. They play and fight as hard as anyone in the country, but they are just not an elite team this year. Had to happen eventually. Tonight’s score was not a surprise. I am at a conference with work so did not watch game, but I have it in my DVR. Checked score with 8 minutes to go in second quarter. Saw UConn had 2 points. Surely that can’t be right. I thought the ESPN app was stuck again..........
As Bill Parcels said “you are what your record is says”. We are a very good team but good against the very best and that’s ok. I look forward to the rest of the season and if we don’t do well in the tournament, I look forward to getting back to the top one day.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Squeaks and Walker were #1's.
Hard to process that factoid after the last couple of weeks.
Clearly the worst player development since ole Holly at UTenn.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The clear and obvious superiority of the SC freshman tells it all. Many of us sit around and make excuses for our freshman ( " They aren't doing that well because they are freshmen, trying to learn the UCONN system, etc."). How did the SC freshmen manage to learn the SC system, so well? The fact is; the freshman wearing the SC uniform are about 10 times better than either of our freshmen ( and, tonight, they looked better than nearly anyone wearing the UCONN jersey). It isn't even close. We didn't get any of the top recruits we went after. And it shows. We have had several "poor" recruiting years ( great kids but not great BB players ). And it shows. That will change, beginning next year. But even coach, on his latest tv show, said, " the players are everything. You cannot win if you don't get great players." This year, even those players we expected to be
great ( Williams and Walker ), are not great.

So now we slumber through the rest of the AAC schedule, and endure a dull and uninteresting Conference tournament. Yawn.

Then we see if the team can recover from this when they , again, have to face someone talented.

This team is reversing history. All the long-standing streaks have been over-turned. Only one remains; can some lame team in the AAC catch UCONN sleeping and pin us with a loss?

Not even worth a look.
Some of SC freshmen would not be starting for UConn or getting as much playing time because they would struggle with UConn's complex offense. I believe that is one reason many teams have freshmen playing so well this season, their offenses are easier to learn and adjust to.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Now Antonelli giving SC way too much credit. Our shooting was so disappointing again. Don't be too cocky Staley. UCONN is having an off year. They will be back next year and it will be very different.
We don't actually know that it will be different. We'll have new bodies -- and we *hope* that the product on the court will enough improved to turn the tables on these teams who are now beating us -- but people also *hoped* that this year's team would be much better than it is.

I'd love to think this year is a one-off, but Geno's program, for all its exorbitant success, is not exactly known for reaping immediate results with newcomers.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So now we slumber through the rest of the AAC schedule, and endure a dull and uninteresting Conference tournament. Yawn.
I am guessing that the rest of the AAC schedule will not be a slumber party and the Tournament may not be so dull and uninteresting, this team is a question mark now and we still have a big bulls eye on our back for the rest of the AAC.

Reaction Score
The clear and obvious superiority of the SC freshman tells it all. Many of us sit around and make excuses for our freshman ( " They aren't doing that well because they are freshmen, trying to learn the UCONN system, etc."). How did the SC freshmen manage to learn the SC system, so well? The fact is; the freshman wearing the SC uniform are about 10 times better than either of our freshmen ( and, tonight, they looked better than nearly anyone wearing the UCONN jersey). It isn't even close. We didn't get any of the top recruits we went after. And it shows. We have had several "poor" recruiting years ( great kids but not great BB players ). And it shows. That will change, beginning next year. But even coach, on his latest tv show, said, " the players are everything. You cannot win if you don't get great players." This year, even those players we expected to be
great ( Williams and Walker ), are not great.

Then we see if the team can recover from this when they , again, have to face someone talented.

This team is reversing history. All the long-standing streaks have been over-turned. Only one remains; can some lame team in the AAC catch UCONN sleeping and pin us with a loss?

Not even worth a look.
Yes. This is exactly what I was alluding to in my earlier post about how the program wears its past success like a ball and chain, starting with the head coach. To this day in interviews, Geno is often on his hobby-horse about how hard it is to do what we've done, etc, etc.

It subtracts from a culture of winning, and is not what a coach who is hungry would or should say. And if he believes it, you can be sure that his players do too, so it is probably adding to the pressure they feel in these big games.

After last week's loss, I spoke about the gentrification of the program that I feel has been slowly taking place since the Stewie era. There are other indicators of if as well, but for me this is one of the bigger ones.

Geno would never consciously allow this to happen, of course. I honestly think he lacks a certain awareness that his mindset in recent years has at times put downward pressure on the team's performance and culture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We still have two games against USF which could be interesting. Sunday we play at USF which won't be easy, and the consecutive losses streak goes on the line again.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to South Carolina. Salutes to Danger, she looked like an All American tonight. To my UConn BY friends, do not hang your heads, UConn has 3 losses but the losses were to elite teams. This year there are several teams that can win the NC and UConn is one of those teams. Go Huskies!
I think the idea of UConn winning the NC is totally ludicrous. In all three games they've lost, they shot the ball so terribly badly, played so out of control and made so many unforced errors that they never gave themselves a chance. I'm not overly awed by any of the teams that they've lost to, though I think I'd go with Oregon as the best of the lot. In these losses, UConn has committed such a ridiculous amount of unforced errors and thrown so many airballs, even on wide open shots while missing layup after layups that they virtually gave themselves zero chances to win. To give those teams all the credit for their "defensive prowess" is a big misrepresentation of what's transpired. UConn played very, very sloppily and was totally incapable of hitting a lot of blatantly open shots. Why they have tended to do that in these three losses is beyond explanation. They completely took themselves out of these games early on and I think some of the early teams in the Geno era (late 80's, early 90's) would have smoked this team if this team played against them the way they've done in their three losses. They've been totally self destructive and it's so foreign to the type teams we've come to expect in Storrs. I really didn't expect that this team would play at the level they've played in these losses. Next year I think you might see some incoming players getting a major amount of playing time and a lot of it has to do with the mindset that Paige and some of the others seem to have in spades. I think she has the air of confidence that made Diana everyone's big favorite over the years and she seems to make the players around her better. There's no one on this present team that seems to have that strength of will.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For seeding, what is our best win this year? Depaul? Tenn? If I am seeding, I can't see above a 3 seed.
DePaul is our best win. They are currently a #4 seed, and hopefully they'll hold up down the stretch.

After that is a big dropoff: Tennessee is probably an 8 seed right now, and Ohio State and Oklahoma are bubble teams.

It's such a bifurcated resume. I agree that a 3 seed is more likely, but maybe if enough other teams have bad losses, they'll gift UConn a low 2 seed.

Reaction Score
After last week's loss, I spoke about the gentrification of the program that I feel has been taking place since the Stewie era. There are other indicators of if as well, but for me this is one of the bigger ones.
What does this mean?

Reaction Score
While UConn doesn't have any signature wins, the Huskies don't have any bad losses either. So long as it stays that way, UConn should be a 2 seed.
Yep! We can kick sand in the face of every 96lb weakling on the beach

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yep! We can kick sand in the face of every 96lb weakling on the beach
I’ll put the strength of our OOC schedule ahead of any other team in the country. Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do about our conference schedule.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Playing time will certainly be interesting next season (as I've noted before).
Westbrook (had she been available) would certainly have hit some shots tonight.

I believe that Geno will be really ready to win, big time, next season.
And goodness knows who will wind up on the bench.

In the past, freshman have been undervalued....and torn down so he could build them back up.
Not next year.
The last sentence of yours. I don't think that happens in other programs and is one reason you will see freshmen on other teams performing better than UConn's freshmen early in their careers. In the long run UConn's players may end up better overall players but, sometimes that is not the case, especially with this team. I wonder if it is really necessary with today's players.

Reactions: xyz
Reaction Score
I expected some lean years after Stewart graduated. I just did not anticipate 5 years in the wilderness or longer.
I wouldn't call making Final Four after Final Four being "in the wilderness". I"m bummed out on this year's team and their performance or lack thereof in significant games but to throw the last few years out the window as if it's nothing is pretty ignorant. Those teams only lost a handful of games and were never SMOKED but this team has gotten hammered on three occasions by teams that I don't consider "great teams". Focus on this team and don't besmirch those good Final Four teams that were in the hunt for a NC

Reaction Score
Kinda funny. I have been to a Sonic once and was completely unimpressed with the joint. Down here they are closing up left and right. I was very surprised when I saw that the team went to one in Columbia.
Closr to the hotel and cheap most likely.

Reaction Score
I need a pint of chocolate ice cream. Thought there was a chance in Q1 when SC was pretty cold shooting, but unfortunately UConn shooting was frustrating. 2 points. My impression was that UConn was doing pretty well rebounding in the first half, at least keeping up with SC, but the Gamecocks got their rebounding mojo back eventually, as well they should since they're bigger & longer from the TV perspective. I think UConn deserves some credit for SC's bad shooting in Q1; defense was working. The great big hostile crowd may have affected the freshmen.

CD does the heart good, really. Never seems to lose her aggression. Honey badger just don't care. Liv was a little better than her average given the atmosphere and Boston. Don't know why she had to resort to set shots away from the basket so often, but I guess credit to SC defense; hard to even get close to the basket. Because, as Megan & Christyn discovered, practically every player on SC is an excellent blocker or disrupter. Some of CW's attempted layups were expressions of despair, and she hasn't been fortunate with 3s or even midrange -- though, nice one at the end of Q2. Expectations were too high for Anna; she had fewer offensive contributions than was the case in Oregon, much less Memphis. To be fair, I doubt whether Kyla would have been better. Anna Mak's a good, very promising passer, though I don't remember anything memorable tonight, but her handle seems to get her in trouble at least once a game, and it happened pretty early in Q1. But her replacement Aubrey had trouble holding on to the ball as well, if I recall. The SC freshmen were scary good, which made the UConn kids seem maybe worse than they actually are. Ty Harris plays like CD & MW (on a good night) combined, and Herbert-Harrigan's play has matured, but surely what makes SC a powerhouse this year is their freshmen, who seem to be playing like juniors. I can't be too harsh with the UConn women; the SC women all seemed to be playing like seasoned veterans who had in addition size, speed, and strength. Should be an interesting final four. Wonder who takes over as point next year for SC?

Well, the ice cream seems soft enough by now ... I need to watch something not sports for a while.

PS Olddude was right; ONO did beat Boston at the toss-up at the beginning of the game.
My guess would be Henderson with Cooke at the 2.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes and that was also the season that Stewie ran into a nearby phone booth and game out wearing her Supergirl outfit just before the Big Dance.

I'd be happy if we have a Lois Lane impersonation.

Reaction Score
Nobody stays on top forever. It’s time for another school to stand on top of the mountain of WBB. It’s not the end of the world. UConn will still field a team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You guys know you're going to be back. Look at the season USC had last year and all it took was a strong class. You have a strong class coming in next season. Good luck the rest of the season.
Thanks for taking some time to talk the BY off the ledge. Congratulations to the Gamecocks who have put together a really good team this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom