- Nov 15, 2016
Some thoughts on the SC game:
- A few bright spots in this game. Liv played hard against Boston putting in 39 tough minutes. Crystal again looked like the only Husky who didn’t forget how to shoot the ball. UConn battled all the way to the end, but the Gamecocks were clearly the better team.
- If I told you before the game that UConn would hold SC to only 11 pts in the 1st qtr, Husky fans would have been ecstatic. If I also told you that UConn would score only 2 pts, Husky fans would have thought I was crazy. UConn’s struggles shooting the ball in big games are hard to explain and difficult to watch.
- SC wasn’t a whole lot better starting out, except for Ty Harris, who continues to play outstanding basketball for the Gamecocks. But SC found their rhythm and although UConn started to shoot a little better, it was clear that baskets were going to be hard to come by for the Huskies all night long.
- I was worried about our freshmen heading into a big game against an athletic team, on the road in front of 18,000 fans. Clearly, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. Hopefully, Anna & Aubrey learned a few things tonight and they will be much more composed the next time they face a team of SC’s caliber.
- For the first time in many years, UConn will not have any signature wins over top 5 teams heading into the Big Dance. So long as the Huskies continue to take care of business in the AAC, they still look like a 2 seed, and maybe that gets them a good draw with an outside chance to make it back to their 13th straight FF. But right now, UConn does not appear to be able to stay with the top 3 teams in the country.
- Finally, BIG CONGRATS to Swin Cash for being named to the WBB HOF.