SC Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the SC game:
  • A few bright spots in this game. Liv played hard against Boston putting in 39 tough minutes. Crystal again looked like the only Husky who didn’t forget how to shoot the ball. UConn battled all the way to the end, but the Gamecocks were clearly the better team.
  • If I told you before the game that UConn would hold SC to only 11 pts in the 1st qtr, Husky fans would have been ecstatic. If I also told you that UConn would score only 2 pts, Husky fans would have thought I was crazy. UConn’s struggles shooting the ball in big games are hard to explain and difficult to watch.
  • SC wasn’t a whole lot better starting out, except for Ty Harris, who continues to play outstanding basketball for the Gamecocks. But SC found their rhythm and although UConn started to shoot a little better, it was clear that baskets were going to be hard to come by for the Huskies all night long.
  • I was worried about our freshmen heading into a big game against an athletic team, on the road in front of 18,000 fans. Clearly, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. Hopefully, Anna & Aubrey learned a few things tonight and they will be much more composed the next time they face a team of SC’s caliber.
  • For the first time in many years, UConn will not have any signature wins over top 5 teams heading into the Big Dance. So long as the Huskies continue to take care of business in the AAC, they still look like a 2 seed, and maybe that gets them a good draw with an outside chance to make it back to their 13th straight FF. But right now, UConn does not appear to be able to stay with the top 3 teams in the country.
  • Finally, BIG CONGRATS to Swin Cash for being named to the WBB HOF.

Reaction Score
A similar pattern to the other two losses and now it’s looking like a team is just not mentally prepared to take on elite teams. I think it’s gotten into the heads of three or four of our key players that they are not a good shooting team, and that they are not going to play well in really big games. And because they believe it, it has become true.

I am going to come right out and say that I think the team needs a psychologist to help clear it of this mindset. It’s become a legitimate story over the past three or so seasons that the team often plays tight and tentative when the stakes are the highest.

Part of the problem I believe is that the program has worn its historic success, including the absurd narrative that it was bad for the game, like a ball and chain. That starts with the head coach by the way, which is why the problem has become a stubbornly embedded characteristic in program culture.

So yes, the team looks fragile. The expression on Dangerfield’s face a couple of times tonight said as much. And the missed layups this season… I have never seen anything remotely like it from a Connecticut team. And I hope I never do again.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A lack of trust in each other, a lack of hustle, a lack of good or timely shooting, a lack of pace and movement on offense, a lack of bench support, and a lack leadership beyond CD. CW is an ongoing mystery and perhaps the biggest disappointment this season. Very sad.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There was a moment 2nd/3rd quarter...my mind is gone..

When we missed two shots at a layup, SC went down and drained a 3 in transition...then we missed a layup again...a 7-point swing

If we ever had a chance, that was it.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but this team is just baffling. Crystal played like she wanted to win and was aggressive. CW can’t make any layups any more. Was super disappointed on Anas play. ONO battled and was ok but was outplayed by Boston. Megan wasn’t great and I think against good defenses she just can’t get good looks.
I just can’t understand the constant handoffs around the perimeter and finally giving it to crystal who is the only one who can do anything with the ball and not look silly.
So disappointed, but should I be? They have been this way all year against the best. I don’t think we can get to final four this year. We just don’t have the horses this year. I will still hope and dream but reality is setting in for me. SIGH....

Reaction Score
Liv played good tonight, but needs to work HARD this offseason. Danger did all she could. Did UConn proud. Anna and Aubrey played horrible but they are freshman and it’s understandable. Cristin and Megan need to take a look in the mirror. This was inexcusable. In the end it’s gonna make the players more ready and hungry next year and we have a great class next year. This is also on Geno and it will make him be sure to never under recruit. We are undersized and if we had a few serviceable bigs we are in all of these games that we lost. Next year we win it all.

Reaction Score
I half expected to see SC Postmortem Thread in the title. As rough as that was for all of us, can't imagine how deflated and embarassed the kids feel. I don't think they got a single loose ball. At times it looked like they were playing hot potato with the ball. Just a brutal game. Back to the drawing board for Geno.

Reaction Score
Started out laughable then disappointing. Crystal try as she might on offense wasn't going to do it single handily. For the next 3 years I see SC as our main rival with Oregon and Baylor right behind. Now we can relax for the rest of the season and for the first 2 rounds of the tournament. Enjoy the ride however short.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I’m sorry but this team is just baffling. Crystal played like she wanted to win and was aggressive. CW can’t make any layups any more. Was super disappointed on Anas play. ONO battled and was ok but was outplayed by Boston. Megan wasn’t great and I think against good defenses she just can’t get good looks.
I just can’t understand the constant handoffs around the perimeter and finally giving it to crystal who is the only one who can do anything with the ball and not look silly.
So disappointed, but should I be? They have been this way all year against the best. I don’t think we can get to final four this year. We just don’t have the horses this year. I will still hope and dream but reality is setting in for me. SIGH....
It's like Allan Iverson once said, and I paraphrase, "I bring the ball up and pass it to a guy. He passes to another guys, he passes to another, and he passes to another. Suddenly I get the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock. What do you want me to do?

Reaction Score
Congratulations to South Carolina. Salutes to Danger, she looked like an All American tonight. To my UConn BY friends, do not hang your heads, UConn has 3 losses but the losses were to elite teams. This year there are several teams that can win the NC and UConn is one of those teams. Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom