Sanogo and Clingan | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sanogo and Clingan

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He asked about the high post.

You don't get to be cute about it. Your offense failed miserably tonight, and couldn't keep up with Xavier on Saturday. It also choked up in just about every big game the last two years. But you want to triple down because next time will be different, or something.

The burden of proof in this debate is not on me. Either explain why UConn is not going to shoot 36.5% the next time it is in a big game, like it did tonight against a bubble team like Providence, or stop arguing that more guards are better.

Reaction Score
He is averaging 17.9 points in 25.7 minutes, shooting 63.8% from 2 and 39.1% from 3. No one else on the team is even close to that effective. That is an AMAZING shooting percentage for a player taking that many shots.
how does this relate to being effective at the high post. He scores down low and occasionally makes a three when left wide open. Unfortunately Sanogo is a compiler. His average is misleading. He has some really good scoring games (usually against smaller post players) and some real stinkers. He is not consistent. He has had 2 mediocre games and 2 stinkers in the last 4 games. Our offense is built around him but his inconsistency limits us.

Reaction Score
You don't get to be cute about it. Your offense failed miserably tonight, and couldn't keep up with Xavier on Saturday. It also choked up in just about every big game the last two years. But you want to triple down because next time will be different, or something.

The burden of proof in this debate is not on me. Either explain why UConn is not going to shoot 36.5% the next time it is in a big game, like it did tonight against a bubble team like Providence, or stop arguing that more guards are better.
Well guards win championships more often than bigs for one.

I’m not saying don’t integrate the Adama Clingan lineup more possibly, just don’t think it’s gonna solve our issues. We have A LOT bigger issues than our bigs.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to stop thinking that Sanogo is option 1 at the 5 and Clingan is option 2. Sanogo should start of course, but the 5 needs to be situational every game. EVERY game. If that means Clingan gets more minutes in a game, so be it.

Some, and probably a lot, of games Sanogo is going to dominate, but if he's being effectively denied or defended and doubled/triple teamed, Clingan needs to go in and stay in, especially if we are shooting poorly (like the last 2 games). He is so much harder to defend in the same way, passes much better, is a better rebounder, and will eat from offensive put backs alone.

I'm not trying to dump on Sanogo, he's great at what he's good at and a joy to watch most games, but he can be exploited, especially when we are shooting badly, and Hurley needs to figure out how (and be willing) to adjust when he is.

And playing them both is NOT the answer. Maybe in some niche situations, but it was no advantage when we saw it tonight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The refs have allowed the opposing team to manhandle our guards as a way to get back at Hurley. It’s vile
Then maybe Hurley should shut up and stop cursing out the refs. Time for him to grow up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hurley needs to stop thinking that Sanogo is option 1 at the 5 and Clingan is option 2. Sanogo should start of course, but the 5 needs to be situational every game. EVERY game. If that means Clingan gets more minutes in a game, so be it.

Some, and probably a lot, of games Sanogo is going to dominate, but if he's being effectively denied or defended and doubled/triple teamed, Clingan needs to go in and stay in, especially if we are shooting poorly (like the last 2 games). He is so much harder to defend in the same way, passes much better, is a better rebounder, and will eat from offensive put backs alone.

I'm not trying to dump on Sanogo, he's great at what he's good at and a joy to watch most games, but he can be exploited, especially when we are shooting badly, and Hurley needs to figure out how (and be willing) to adjust when he is.

And playing them both is NOT the answer. Maybe in some niche situations, but it was no advantage when we saw it tonight.

I'll say this. No matter what Hurley does with Sanogo, he's not taking money from Adama's pocket. Sanogo is not making a living in the NBA. Yet. And he certainly isn't making money as a back to the basket five man in the NBA.

Adama will make millions playing basketball around the world over the next decade. Top 1% of all college players type money. But he doesn't have an NBA skillset. At least not yet.

Hurley needs to do what is best for this year's team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well thought out response. Just like your coaching strategy.

So you are against more bigs playing, and are against more guards playing. Sounds like you have all the bases covered.

Reaction Score
He actually behaved himself tonight. Maybe someone influential got in his ear because there were certainly times tonight that the Dan Hurley from Saturday would have probably gotten ejected.

Reaction Score
Clingan's better than Sanogo. But you probably didn't want to hear that.
Ok chill… Clingan is great because Sanogo is great. They practice together every day. They have different games styles. If Sanogo was 7’2 and Clingan was 6’9 you probably wouldn’t be saying that. They’re both good… leave it alone.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Then maybe Hurley should shut up and stop cursing out the refs. Time for him to grow up.
Admittedly, I'm working with a small sample, and it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but you make a strong negative impression as well. It's hard to imagine you making a positive impact on Hurley, but you certainly can apply your advice to yourself.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Nope. I don’t. Didn’t come close to winning us a game either
You can't possibly think that's why we lost.

--Nope. I don’t.

good save.
i was just aboot to pounce on ur 'lawn burger' eatin butt, till i read that.
familiar with the term 'lawn burger?" i was not, until earlier this eve when i had a Dunkie settin aboot 20 feet away from us who constantly yelled 'lawn burger eaters' at our doggie get-ups (UConn hockey jerseys rule. they just do.) i asked the good fellow what does 'take ur lawnburger eating butts back to New York!' mean? (the full harangue. he said it a lot. yelled it after they made that big 3)
he says 'lawn burger - fake meat hamburger.'

ok, that's funny. i thanked him, and we returned to form.
will you ever be allowed to eat ribeyes and watch football again?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean personally, if someone called me a freaking clown (insert the curse word) and then called me a straight up female dog. Yeah I’m not giving calls to that guy. There’s a respect line that Hurley doesn’t seem to apply with refs.

Reaction Score
Bc of where Clingan can catch the ball and they opposing teams don’t consider him an offensive threat like sanogo. This is where we see if Hurley has what it takes to make changes with the lineup or in game strategy. Or both!
DH would have figured out a way to lose tonight even if he had Jayson Tatum at his disposal. Fair to say he’s either really stubborn, not very bright, or both.

Reaction Score
Had to when Karaban was getting abused and Jackson had too many fouls. If anything they should have kept the Sanogo, Clingan combo for longer as it was working a bit. Sanogo just operates too slow in BE play. You cant take your time backing guys down without 2 or 3 defenders swarming you and then just force bad shots.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ok chill… Clingan is great because Sanogo is great. They practice together every day. They have different games styles. If Sanogo was 7’2 and Clingan was 6’9 you probably wouldn’t be saying that. They’re both good… leave it alone.
I think people are being premature with the Clingan>Sanogo takes. But it’s not Clingans fault he’s 7’2, it just happens to give him a huge advantage.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
probably went to Sonogo and Clingan together because he read the boneyard and followed the advice of all the basketball geniuses on this site.
playing them together resulted in Sonogo getting burned by Hopkins immediately, no rebounding advantage and no better offense.

to those saying play them together do you still think it’s the answer.
I think it's AN answer, but for it to work there needs to be a balanced attack. We need to shoot better from the perimeter and also need to have more penetration from guards in taking the ball to the rim and/or dishing.

Reaction Score
I think it's AN answer, but for it to work there needs to be a balanced attack. We need to shoot better from the perimeter and also need to have more penetration from guards in taking the ball to the rim and/or dishing.
We’ve been getting abused just this way by other teams. How many free throws did Hopkins take and make last night? He only made 6 Fg’s and scored 27? Our inside scoring has to be more than Sanogo back downs and rebound cleanups. We have to get to the line, is that Newton? Alleyne? It’s not Jackson or Karaban so we have a foul discrepancy problem every game.

Reaction Score
Lots of great analysis. Who cares about the minutes between Sanogo and Clingan if our guards can't shoot or finish at the rim?

This is a very true statement. No matter what we believe with the 2 bigs, together or not, other people need to start making plays. I mean Hawkins disappears, AJ plays very stupid at times, Newton is getting caught in the air too often, Joey is a mason suddenly. And honestly the one guy who should've seen the ball more was Karaban, he made some shots but we don't find him.

Based on this they need a reboot from their coach, back to the drawing board. Starting to look like that's a little blank at times though! Need to fill in some X's and O's I'm thinking.

Reaction Score

I get what you're saying but like it or not Clingan is 7'2 and Sanogo isn't so play the cards your dealt. And last night Clingan had a better hand, and the game versus X can't happen again where he only gets 7 minutes. If anything we have learned that. 4 blocks are a small part of the defensive story as other shots were just thrown with him in the vicinity. Not the same with Sanogo, i like the guy he's a nice player for sure but 2 games in a row hurt us defensively.

Reaction Score
Other than the fact that the team went +5 with them on the court together in a game we got spanked, this is a great point.

The Boneyard believes in alternative facts. Hurley is right about one thing though. Clingan has to play more. There are only two ways to achieve that. One is playing Sanogo fewer minutes and the other is playing them together more. Maybe over time we’ll see that playing them together a lot won’t work, but given the other two options we have to give it a try.

Reaction Score
Other than the fact that the team went +5 with them on the court together in a game we got spanked, this is a great point.
Is this true? That's an interesting stat. It seemed like it was no better or worse with both of them together, but +5 in a -12 game is significant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom