Sanogo and Clingan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sanogo and Clingan

Reaction Score
I think sanogo is getting exhausted and teams are smothering him. Same thing happened last year
Then sit him more. That’s not an excuse, he’s been in college for 3 years. Croswell sure didn’t look exhausted. Neither did Clingan.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sanogo can’t defend most 4s. Kaluma and/or Scheirman would eat him apart.
Who plays the four? It cannot be Karaban. Could either of those two gaurd Sanogo or Clingan on the other end?

Reaction Score
Who plays the four? It cannot be Karaban. Could either of those two gaurd Sanogo or Clingan on the other end?
I don’t know. Creighton at full strength is another matchup nightmare for us. We really aren’t as deep as people make us seem.

Reaction Score
Karaban should be able to guard Scheierman, he takes the majority of his shots from 3 and isn't particularly great on the few shots he takes at the rim

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That’s the mindset. We have to be worried about their guys but they don’t have to worry about who’s guarding our bigs with Hawkins on the three

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have been screaming for Hurley to play two bigs at once for the last three seasons. He wasted a roster of Carlton, Whaley and a frosh Sanogo by rotating them at one position while we watched guards like Gaffney and Adams launch contested pull up 3's that were effectively turnovers they had such a low probability of success.

Now he has Clingan and Sanogo. UConn will dominate with both of them on the court at once. Other teams will have to adjust. Or we can go 3 for a million from 3 like we did tonight and see where that gets us.

I don't want to pick on just Hurley, because 90% of the coaches in D1 and the NBA do not really understand the statistics of where points come from and how to maximize points per possession, and make the same mistake.

Reaction Score
Depends? Sanogo spent a lot of time standing on the perimeter when he was in at the 4. In those instances, yes.

Reaction Score
That’s the big issue on offense. You have to keep one out of the post so that you don’t totally clog things and neither have perimeter skills. They went to the press a lot against that lineup because they knew Sanogo would end up with it to break the press and he couldn’t do anything to capitalize on the numbers.
Is it possible that Donovan has better perimeter and passing skills than Sanogo, and Hurley needs to give him green light to unleash it this year to give Sanogo space to operate in the paint?

Clips of Donovan shooting from distance look more natural than Sanogo.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think sanogo is getting exhausted and teams are smothering him. Same thing happened last year
I never heard of guys getting exhausted like that before Sanogo and we literally watched Jalen Adams have to carry a team of 7-8 able bodied players through a Big East season.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that Donovan has better perimeter and passing skills than Sanogo, and Hurley needs to give him green light to unleash it this year to give Sanogo space to operate in the paint?

Clips of Donovan shooting from distance look more natural than Sanogo.
If we’re relying on Clingan’s perimeter game to make this lineup viable, it’s not going to end well. I have a very hard time seeing a possibility that Clingan turns into a player that opposing defenses have to respect from the perimeter by the end of the season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I have been screaming for Hurley to play two bigs at once for the last three seasons. He wasted a roster of Carlton, Whaley and a frosh Sanogo by rotating them at one position while we watched guards like Gaffney and Adams launch contested pull up 3's that were effectively turnovers they had such a low probability of success.

Now he has Clingan and Sanogo. UConn will dominate with both of them on the court at once. Other teams will have to adjust. Or we can go 3 for a million from 3 like we did tonight and see where that gets us.

I don't want to pick on just Hurley, because 90% of the coaches in D1 and the NBA do not really understand the statistics of where points come from and how to maximize points per possession, and make the same mistake.
I guess you weren’t there the last two years and saw what the 2-big Sanogo+Whaley combo did for our offense…

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If we’re relying on Clingan’s perimeter game to make this lineup viable, it’s not going to end well. I have a very hard time seeing a possibility that Clingan turns into a player that opposing defenses have to respect from the perimeter by the end of the season.
Plus the biggest strength is Donovan’s ability to finish at the rim and rebound. Makes no sense to take him away from that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I guess you weren’t there the last two years and saw what the 2-big Sanogo+Whaley combo did for our offense…

I did see it. Don't blame the bigs when you run a 5 out with a lineup that can dominate at the basket. Run a 3 out, hi low, and there will be a higher shooting percentage, more free throws, and higher quality 3 attempts. Or we can just keep chucking from deep and hope for the best.

Reaction Score
Plus the biggest strength is Donovan’s ability to finish at the rim and rebound. Makes no sense to take him away from that.
Yeah, that lineup requires one of them to play on the perimeter. Clingan got a nice bucket on a roll from the perimeter and a blown defensive assignment but otherwise you’re effectively taking one of them out of the game offensively.

Reaction Score
How? How was it worse than sanogo and Karaban together?
So we should play Sanogo and Clingan together because it’s not worse than Karaban and Sanogo. At least Karaban spaces the floor bettter and opens things up more. I value of playing Sanogo and Clingan together would be if it makes us better not that it doesn’t make us any worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, that lineup requires one of them to play on the perimeter. Clingan got a nice bucket on a roll from the perimeter and a blown defensive assignment but otherwise you’re effectively taking one of them out of the game offensively.

It does not require that. Just run a different offensive set when they are on the court together.

We are a game removed from Freemantle, Hunter and Nunge scoring at will on UConn. Somehow they figured out a way to win with two bigs.

Reaction Score
I loved Whaley, played really hard and got the most out of his talent but Clingan is a so much better than him and Sanogo is supposed to be better than he was last year. He's more efficient than he was last year offensively but the rest of his game has been really bad in the last 4 games, I'm wondering if Whaley covered up for him a ton defensively.

Reaction Score
Remember that entire defenses game plan based on not letting Adama Sanogo touch the ball. Even though Clingan’s advanced stats probably blow Sanogo’s out of the water, the script would likely flip if they swapped minutes and Sanogo got to play against the bench bigs every game

But I will concede that Clingan should be quickly subbed in if the situation calls for him to be in there, and there’s been a lot more of those recently. If he’s not in foul trouble and if he has the stamina, he needs more minutes. Period

Reaction Score
It does not require that. Just run a different offensive set when they are on the court together.

We are a game removed from Freemantle and Nunge scoring at will on UConn. Somehow they figured out a way to win with two bigs.
Because both of their bigs have perimeter skills. Defenses just do not respect Sanogo and especially Clingan from more than a few feet out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Think Sanogo being on the floor opens things up for Clingan too. If you put too much attention on Sanogo then plays like that can happen.

Reaction Score

We are a game removed from Freemantle, Hunter and Nunge scoring at will on UConn. Somehow they figured out a way to win with two bigs.
Both of them can pass. We don’t know if Clingan can, but Adama is not a good passer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom