Sanogo and Clingan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sanogo and Clingan

Reaction Score
No reason why we can’t play the two together and have Karaban first off the bench
Defensive matchups and spacing on offense are the reasons it's difficult to come up with the best answer.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Because both of their bigs have perimeter skills. Defenses just do not respect Sanogo and especially Clingan from more than a few feet out.

Sanogo can hit a 15 footer, and Clingan can just hang out at the basket. Somehow offenses managed to score lots of points before we decided it was a good idea to park mediocre shooters in the corner and have them chuck the ball 10 times a game.

Reaction Score
Then sit him more. That’s not an excuse, he’s been in college for 3 years. Croswell sure didn’t look exhausted. Neither did Clingan.
Lol, Clingan regularly looks exhausted. I don't think he has the stamina yet to play 25+ minutes.

Reaction Score
It does not require that. Just run a different offensive set when they are on the court together.

We are a game removed from Freemantle, Hunter and Nunge scoring at will on UConn. Somehow they figured out a way to win with two bigs.
Both Fremantle and Nunge can make threes and Fremantle is a forward with better passing skills than Sanogo

Reaction Score
Lol, Clingan regularly looks exhausted. I don't think he has the stamina yet to play 25+ minutes.
He didn’t tonight from what I watched. I’m not saying Adama is either. Just responding to the hypothetical that he may have been.

Reaction Score
If we’re relying on Clingan’s perimeter game to make this lineup viable, it’s not going to end well. I have a very hard time seeing a possibility that Clingan turns into a player that opposing defenses have to respect from the perimeter by the end of the season.
Not saying your wrong, but that's the only switch left that hasn't been flipped that I think is coming. I just didn't think it would be this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Both Fremantle and Nunge can make threes and Fremantle is a forward with better passing skills than Sanogo

Sanogo is much better in the low and high post than either of them.

Reaction Score
Sanogo can hit a 15 footer, and Clingan can just hang out at the basket. Somehow offenses managed to score lots of points before we decided it was a good idea to park mediocre shooters in the corner and have them chuck the ball 10 times a game.
He can make it but defenses aren’t playing him that tight on that shot because it’s not a high percentage one. And then you have two bigs packed in the paint to double and deny Clingan. An offense reliant on midrange jumpers as Sanogo’s go to is not a good one.

Reaction Score
He didn’t tonight from what I watched. I’m not saying Adama is either. Just responding to the hypothetical that he may have been.
He was gasping for air around his month piece at one point. He regularly looks exhaust and I noticed it again tonight.

Is not a problem. He place hard and all our but he doesn't have as much had in the tank to match Sanogo well known energy and stamina.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is much better in the low and high post than either of them.
What exactly does Sanogo do well at the high post. He doesn’t make any shots from there and he’s not a good passer And he doesn’t drive to the basket. Other than that he’s better than them at the high post.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He can make it but defenses aren’t playing him that tight on that shot because it’s not a high percentage one. And then you have two bigs packed in the paint to double and deny Clingan. An offense reliant on midrange jumpers as Sanogo’s go to is not a good one.

You don't need that much space when the two players are 6'8 and 7'2. Sanogo in the high post and Clingan down low could high/low a team to death if they wanted. The opponent would have to drop a guard down, leaving someone open on the perimeter. Or pick and roll on one side with Sanogo and have Clingan flash to the weakside block. There is a lot of action that works with two bigs.

We have been trying the chuck and duck offense since Hurley got here. It is a mediocre offense despite the fact that we have had some very good shooters come through. Unfortunately, we have also had some very good bigs that ended up underutilized. Hurley ran Carlton off, and Carlton was very effective on an Elite Eight team. How did we do last year?

The 5 out advocates have been wrong every step of the way, and now many teams are incorporating centers back into their offenses. Hurley can wait another 5 years until playing centers and even bigger lineups is mainstream, or he can be a trendsetter.

Reaction Score
Yes, 2 fouls early - can’t sit him for that long
And had 3-4 other close calls in the second half and easily could've fouled out if you didn't sit him. That's not why we lost. We sat him and were controlling the first half until they hit a couple of crazy threes just before halftime.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What exactly does Sanogo do well at the high post. He doesn’t make any shots from there and he’s not a good passer And he doesn’t drive to the basket. Other than that he’s better than them at the high post.

He is averaging 17.9 points in 25.7 minutes, shooting 63.8% from 2 and 39.1% from 3. No one else on the team is even close to that effective. That is an AMAZING shooting percentage for a player taking that many shots.

Reaction Score
You don't need that much space when the two players are 6'8 and 7'2. Sanogo in the high post and Clingan down low could high/low a team to death if they wanted. The opponent would have to drop a guard down, leaving someone open on the perimeter. Or pick and roll on one side with Sanogo and have Clingan flash to the weakside block. There is a lot of action that works with two bigs.

We have been trying the chuck and duck offense since Hurley got here. It is a mediocre offense despite the fact that we have had some very good shooters come through. Unfortunately, we have also had some very good bigs that ended up underutilized. Hurley ran Carlton off, and Carlton was very effective on an Elite Eight team. How did we do last year?

The 5 out advocates have been wrong every step of the way, and now many teams are incorporating centers back into their offenses. Hurley can wait another 5 years until playing centers and even bigger lineups is mainstream, or he can be a trendsetter.
Sanogo can’t pass. The chances of him effectively feeding Clingan from the high post are very very low.

Reaction Score
He is averaging 17.9 points in 25.7 minutes, shooting 63.8% from 2 and 39.1% from 3. No one else on the team is even close to that effective. That is an AMAZING shooting percentage for a player taking that many shots.
He asked about the high post.

Reaction Score
Sanogo has been awful on defense, and his man just seems to outwork him on the boards. Clingan is starting to look like a better player for our type of game.
He is. He’s the better defender, rebounder and most importantly, passer.
His offense will come.

He needs to play 28 plus minutes per game.
And if it comes as sanogo’s expense, so be it

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sanogo can’t pass. The chances of him effectively feeding Clingan from the high post are very very low.

You convinced me. We need Alleyne taking more shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom