Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Natalie lost 17 pounds. Sounds like Stef Dolson.

Her dad had the USNA rebounding record until David Robonson came along. Sounds like Tina Charles.

Natalie was BE FOW 10x. Sounds like Maya Moore.

Amanda Kimball raves about her. Sounds like Kelly Faris.
Dolson/Charles/Moore/Faris combo? Now THAT would be a PLAYA! :D

Reaction Score
It was until at least one poster felt it necessary to downgrade Butler in order to extoll Walker's virtues. A similar strategy was used to boost Saniya at the beginning of the season to the detriment of Nurse.
I wanted to give you a double like because of the two points you made. Both on the downgrade of Butler (even without seeing much, if any of what she can do) and boosting Saniya, even though they'd seen very little of Nurse and Saniya was coming off a freshman season where her performance as the year went on deteriorated to the point where she got very little prime time playing time. Great points, indeed!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just for reference I bet some have no idea what this kid looks like:

Megan-Walker-usa480.preview.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nobody downgraded Butler, but I guess people see what they want to. We don't have to assume every player who comes to UConn is the second coming just because they come to UConn. There are legitimate questions about Butler for various reasons that will be answered when she plays. That's true of even higher rated players like Samuelson and Collier. There are no guarantees.

Reaction Score
Nobody downgraded Butler, but I guess people see what they want to. We don't have to assume every player who comes to UConn is the second coming just because they come to UConn. There are legitimate questions about Butler for various reasons that will be answered when she plays. That's true of even higher rated players like Samuelson and Collier. There are no guarantees.

I suppose only BYers can take a great situation and turn it into a negative through inuendo. Other blog boards were wringing their hands when Butler transferred to UCONN but our supporters have "legitimate questions". Probably the same people who said a high school junior would start ahead of Butler!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I suppose only BYers can take a great situation and turn it into a negative through inuendo. Other blog boards were wringing their hands when Butler transferred to UCONN but our supporters have "legitimate questions". Probably the same people who said a high school junior would start ahead of Butler!

Again, you see what you want to including "negatives". Your logic would mean nobody could suggest Crystal Dangerfield will ever start ahead of Chong at the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Eric and I talked a bit more on this. We agree that Butler will be good. We're not sure how good, but she should definitely contribute.

Another interesting question will be the starting lineup next year. We lose Kaleena and Kiah, so we have Moriah, Kia, Stewie, and Morgan all back. I think it's safe to stay that all keep their starting positions. Who gets the 5th starting slot next year? Natalie as a true 5? Lou as a premier shooter like Kaleena? The efficient, versatile, and hard-working Napheesa? The uber-athletic and more experienced Gabby? Saniya in guard-oriented lineup? I like several of those options. I've listed them in order, from what I deem most likely to least likely. I don't see Courtney or De'Janae starting next year.

You did not mention Butler for a starting position...you mentioned Katie Lou, Naphessa, Gabby, Saniya...Courtney and De'Janae...Butler, oh Butler...where are you???...She is missing...oh, I know...the butler did it...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hell I hope Geno doesn't retire until 2022 because I want my Daughter to play for him even if she is a walk on.
here she is in 7th grade two years a go. I hope she has a shoot.

Clearly the best kid on the floor... :)

Reaction Score
But what about Mo'ne in 2019? I guess Dangerfield will have to go back to the bench.

JS

Reaction Score
I suppose only BYers can take a great situation and turn it into a negative through inuendo. . . . but our supporters have "legitimate questions".
There are legitimate questions about every recruit or transferee who has yet to play at UConn. It's not innuendo to mention they exist, particularly when they've been discussed in more detail in other threads.

Reaction Score
I wanted to give you a double like because of the two points you made. Both on the downgrade of Butler (even without seeing much, if any of what she can do) and boosting Saniya, even though they'd seen very little of Nurse and Saniya was coming off a freshman season where her performance as the year went on deteriorated to the point where she got very little prime time playing time. Great points, indeed!
I gave him a like for you. :D

Reaction Score
What legitimate questions. Has Butler actually played in college at a high level institution and done well enough to become the freshman of the year in her conference? There are far fewer questions regarding her than some junior or senior in high school whose played some AAU games and who some scouts tout. Those players should have legitimate questions asked about them. So you have a freshman of the year who goes to the best women's basketball program in the country, is working in the weight rooms with one of the best trainers in the world and being coached by the legendary Hall of Fame coach who most consider the best of all time along with his wonderful staff and is getting to practice against the best talent in women's basketball and yet there's legitimate questions that people have about whether she is going to be okay? Seems to me the questions should be asked of those who've NEVER played a single college game and who have only played against high school players, many of whom will never be on the roster of a major college team. What does Butler have to prove???? It's the other guy who has to prove something. Geno doesn't give transfers just for fun. Just at that, Butler has already proved something and the fact that Geno's pals talked her up, speaks volumes.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What legitimate questions.

How good is she offensively? How well does she pass and set screens? How mobile is she? Is she just a big body or does she have the footwork to be a strong 1-on-1 defender? Do you or anyone else here have those answers? I've seen enough of Cox to stick my neck out and say she's going to be an impact player, perhaps special. Cox has played against the best high school players in the country a year ahead of her on two different national teams.

and yet there's legitimate questions that people have about whether she is going to be okay?

Who questions whether Butler's "going to be okay?" The crime I seem to have committed here is saying I believe Cox would start ahead of Butler in the future if Cox were to commit to UConn. I have yet to see anyone claim Butler can't play, and, in fact, I'm on record as saying I believe Butler will likely be in the starting lineup next year.

Reaction Score
Let Geno have all the talent he can get. It will be great to see him sort it all out. I always have the feeling he is eyeing a kid out there that no one is even thinking of just because he likes her ticker.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How good is she offensively? How well does she pass and set screens? How mobile is she? Is she just a big body or does she have the footwork to be a strong 1-on-1 defender? Do you or anyone else here have those answers? I've seen enough of Cox to stick my neck out and say she's going to be an impact player, perhaps special. Cox has played against the best high school players in the country a year ahead of her on two different national teams.
Pretty good. As a freshmen she averaged 13.9 ppg. Was BE Freshman of the year. She seems to be a decent defender, had 59 blocks. While Cox was playing against HS players, Butler was playing against college players 2-3 years ahead of her, and performing very well.

At the college level, Cox (who may end up being a great player) has many more "questions" than Butler does. We don't know if Cox's game will transfer to the college level. It probably will, because she is very talented, but you never know until they do it. Whereas Butler's game has already been demonstrated at the college level. There isn't a question of whether it will or not. It already has.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are legitimate questions about every recruit or transferee who has yet to play at UConn. It's not innuendo to mention they exist, particularly when they've been discussed in more detail in other threads.
There are, also, illegitimate questions about every recruit. Sometimes it is difficult to discern the difference.

Reaction Score
The context of the post Walker would start ahead of Butler. The poster didn't mention any questions about Walker, a high school junior but posited that Butler would come off the bench while Walker would start. It would seem that there would be more "legitimate questions" about a high school junior than a player who was FOY in the Big East.

Putting that aside, I prefer to discuss specifics rather than have someone say there are "legitimate questions'. But maybe that's just me. Just saying....

JS

Reaction Score
There are, also, illegitimate questions about every recruit. Sometimes it is difficult to discern the difference.
The problem there is with posters who take it upon themselves to decide what are "illegitimate" questions and put up posts in that vein rather than simply answering the questions (or not) according to their lights.

As mods, it's our job to decide when a question is out of bounds according to the rules, and we encourage Reports as assistance. We do not encourage the efforts of posting police, especially those who resort to various techniques of "getting personal," to tell others what questions are or are not OK to raise.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The problem there is with posters who take it upon themselves to decide what are "illegitimate" questions and put up posts in that vein rather than simply answering the questions (or not) according to their lights.

As mods, it's our job to decide when a question is out of bounds according to the rules, and we encourage Reports as assistance. We do not encourage the efforts of posting police, especially those who resort to various techniques of "getting personal," to tell others what questions are or are not OK to raise.
Sorry, didn't realize your post was an act of moderating. It is hard to tell sometimes. My point was simply a question can be as innocent as a new born in the eyes of one and seen as picayune by another, eye of the beholder and all. As we both know tone and humor doesn't always translate well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more, about both. I've said it before - she has the potential to be as good as Maya Moore. Yep - she has that much potential...
Eric I have heard that too. Ive also heard that Collier could be the best player in her class right up there with Katie Lou. Think about this for a minute. MoJeff Stewie Tuck all at some point ranked number 1 in HS add Katie Lou Collier and now Walker. That's how you spell Domimin 8 tion

Reaction Score
I don't think I would consider Walker a "done deal" just yet. This entire thread is based on a random tweet by John Altavilla in which he himself uses the phrase "who knows". We all know that saying about counting your chickens before they hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom