Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Megan Walker is the second coming of Maya Moore and will be more important to the history of UConn basketball than either Cox or Butler.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
God forbid, but I decided to add some facts to the discussion anyhow.

RB: 64 13.281/g 1st on team
PT: 445 13.906/g 2nd on team
Something seems to be wrong here. She only had 64 rebounds for the season? How could that work out to 13.3 rebounds per game? If they played 30 games, that per-game rate would lead to about 400 rebounds.

And what on earth is "PT"? That isn't Playing Time, is it? She only played 14 minutes per game?

T

TroyHouse66

Corn
<<Megan Walker is the second coming of Maya Moore and will be more important to the history of UConn basketball than either Cox or Butler.>>

When is Gillian Goring getting to Campus?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Something seems to be wrong here. She only had 64 rebounds for the season? How could that work out to 13.3 rebounds per game? If they played 30 games, that per-game rate would lead to about 400 rebounds.

And what on earth is "PT"? That isn't Playing Time, is it? She only played 14 minutes per game?

PT is points. The rebound numbers are a typo.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Natalie had 425 rebounds in 32 games. PT would be points; she averaged 13.9 points per game. Hoya stats

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Megan Walker is the second coming of Maya Moore and will be more important to the history of UConn basketball than either Cox or Butler.
I do agree that she has the potential to be as good as Maya Moore. But, Mrs. Walker, I do think time will tell who ultimately will be the "most important" for UCONN 6 or 7 years from now when we are looking back at their college careers... ;)

Reaction Score
Well, just standing up for my big brother here - putting all players' stats into terms of 40 minutes gives us an opportunity to compare apples to apples. It gives us a way to compare Briana Pulido's .1 points (in 2.3 minutes) per game to Breanna Stewart's 16.8 points per game (in 29.5 minutes). You make a basic assumption - one we know is improbable but you need a comparative basis - that both players play 40 minutes. It could be 10 minutes or 15 or 60; 40 is used because it's the number of minutes in a game. In that way, we can compare what might, theoretically happen if both players played for the full 40 minutes. Now, we know there are variables, such as the fact Stewie plays against the tougher starting players rather than the subs that Briana usually plays against but it's just a statistical modeling. Fun for stats geeks and fans alike and just something else to mull over. As we are, I guess!
Even moreso, it doesn't actually require an assumption that anyone plays 40 minutes. To come up with points per game, your take the total points for the season (career) and divide by the number of games played; this is the exact same thing, just less arbitrary: you divide the total points by 40 minutes played. It is skewed by the fact that Stewart plays against stronger opposition than Pulido, but not any moreso than points per game is.

Reaction Score
Butler's transfer was just what UConn needed since they will be short on bigs next season. And I would expect Butler to start next season even if Cox chose to become a Huskie. Butler would be in the equivalent of her junior year and will have practiced with the team for a whole year. That would be a huge advantage for Butler, too much for even Cox to overcome.
With that said, Cox has more potential. She can do things that Butler simply can't and I expect that eventually Cox would win the starting position since I don't see them playing together on a regular basis. If they did that would mean that an even more talented player (KLS,Collier, etc.) would be on the bench.

Not neccesarily unless we are writing off that Collier can't defend sg's? If Collier is quick enough to guard sg's they (Butler and Cox) can play together. That's why I think a player like Gabby can easily play with KLS. She can defend quick sgs. Then you have Nurse as the pg,a nd then have "TheRealDanger" off the bench.

Reaction Score
I don't get why there is such an argument regarding Slu's post. To summarize he seems to have combination of "said/suggested/implied" (And slu- sorry if I'm am misrepresenting your post if I did - certainly it is not my intent) of the following: IMO I believe I understand what you're saying.

1-- He's taken valuable time out from whatever he does to watch Laruen Cox and many other players. He seems to think Cox is in the elite rarified air of super greats. In summary a UCONN fan is telling us he sees someone near as incredible as Maya-like though he never said/compared to "Maya." But . . . he calls Cox special and gushes over her talent. So what is the actual point to argue with him about if all he is doing is expressing his opinion of how he feels about Cox's future greatness? With all the time he has put in watching - he thinks he sees it. Maybe if other s have seen her and disagree but it doesn't seem like others have seen her or just seen glimpses.

2-- He never said Cox in her frosh year would start over Butler. He said say Cox would start "by her sophomore year." While also saying Cox isn't coming off the bench for 3 years. The comment of "By her sophomore year" projecting forward 3 year s from now isn't a big deal/argumentative point imo. But if that is the point - okay - but it seems picky to me.

3--- He hasn't seen Butler play. He hasn't seen Butler play. He hasn't seen Butler play. For him, he wants to see Butler play before he wants to/ can compare her in his own eyes to Cox whom he has seen play a lot and believes she is "Maya-like." Put yourself in his shoes and ask "Would Maya Moore come off the bench for 3 years?" Thus far in UCONN history does anyone feel there could be a legitimate scenario to have Maya (or DT) come off the bench for 3 straight years?

4--- He is not trying to prove to others that Cox is greater. Just offering an opinion that he has seen Cox and until he has seen Butler he is holding to the assertion of his convictions.

5--- I completely understand for those who have seen Butler or those that have read/ love size / love the proof of her college play. You're dead-on right too. You want to see Cox and you trust what you've seen and read about Butler along with Geno taking her. But slu wants to see for himself (what's wrong with that?). I do too. The thing is - I haven't seen either other than minor moments. But I imagine (as in wild guess) they can play together and be tremendous even though I prefer quicker teams. To tell me I'm wrong - I'd have to see it, read it etc otherwise just like slu and everyone else I'd have to see it not work for myself or read if one of them has dropped off in terms of productivity.

Reaction Score
Pretty good. As a freshmen she averaged 13.9 ppg. Was BE Freshman of the year. She seems to be a decent defender, had 59 blocks. While Cox was playing against HS players, Butler was playing against college players 2-3 years ahead of her, and performing very well.

At the college level, Cox (who may end up being a great player) has many more "questions" than Butler does. We don't know if Cox's game will transfer to the college level. It probably will, because she is very talented, but you never know until they do it. Whereas Butler's game has already been demonstrated at the college level. There isn't a question of whether it will or not. It already has.
That's exactly the point I've been trying to make, time and time again. Although no one is "guaranteeing Butler's greatness", she already has a pretty nice college resume against pretty decent competition. There is nothing to suggest that she won't get even better considering the fact that she'll be more physically mature, she's working out with a great training crew, she's playing against some of the very best COLLEGE players in the country, she's being coached by Geno and one of the best coaching staff of all time and she's got a great work ethic. To ASSUME that a talented high school player is going to come in and AUTOMATICALLY exceed player one's playing time is taking an enormous amount for granted. Someone brought up Chong and there's no way that Chong's freshman year can compare at all with Butler's. For minutes played (particularly in prime time), for results on the court, for any consideration it is night and day to compare the two young women. Chong had a very disappointing conclusion to her freshman year and Butler exceeded most anybody's expectations through her entire freshman season, playing a great amount of minutes. Yet it's the proven college player who has to PROVE something (I thought she had) while Cox is automatically assumed to be a better player and more worthy of minutes though she's played against competitors that are appreciably younger, less experienced and in a lot of cases, less talented to showcase her ability. Am I going to suggest that Cox won't be a multiple AA player once she gets to college? I don't know but I cannot rule that out but would someone guarantee that level of success by betting all their assets on her success? Butler appears to be a pretty darn good "bird in the hand" while Cox, well, who knows?????

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Someone brought up Chong and there's no way that Chong's freshman year can compare at all with Butler's. For minutes played (particularly in prime time), for results on the court, for any consideration it is night and day to compare the two young women. Chong had a very disappointing conclusion to her freshman year and Butler exceeded most anybody's expectations through her entire freshman season, playing a great amount of minutes. Yet it's the proven college player who has to PROVE something (I thought she had) while Cox is automatically assumed to be a better player and more worthy of minutes

What would Chong have done on a third-tier team that needed her to play 35 minutes a game because the rest of the team lacked talent? My guess is her numbers would've looked quite different than they did on a team competing for a title and not willing to gamble with an inconsistent player.

There is nothing to suggest that she won't get even better considering the fact that she'll be more physically mature, she's working out with a great training crew, she's playing against some of the very best COLLEGE players in the country, she's being coached by Geno and one of the best coaching staff of all time and she's got a great work ethic.

And Cox wouldn't be doing all of these very things if she comes to UConn? Same situations, one's a good talent, one's an elite talent. Why is this so hard to accept?

Reaction Score
Not only has this horse been beaten to death but cremated. To me the main reason why so many have countered Slu's multiple posts is because he admits he has never seen Butler play. Given that, then on what basis can he say that Cox would start ahead of her? Especially given Butler has already excelled at the D1 level. It seems that he has continued with this position just to prove he's right as opposed to just extolling Cox's abilities.

Reaction Score
Not only has this horse been beaten to death but cremated. To me the main reason why so many have countered Slu's multiple posts is because he admits he has never seen Butler play. Given that, then on what basis can he say that Cox would start ahead of her? Especially given Butler has already excelled at the D1 level. It seems that he has continued with this position just to prove he's right as opposed to just extolling Cox's abilities.

I'm sure he hasn't seen a ton of high school kids play (Hartford Hawks have some verbals and we can project without seeing that they won't get freshman that can start over our team, don't we?) - but anyone can make a projection that a player such as Dangerfeild will start during her UCONN career. She's a top 5 recruit and has had a ton of success thus far and Geno has recruited her.

In addition I believe if we were to go back over history and identify consensus number 1 recruits in which the recruiting services absolutely raved about a number 1 recruit - you'll see more often than not they are an absolute freak incredible impact player. Five players come to mind- Taurasi, Parker, Moore, Griner and Stewart.

It appears slu is putting Cox in that class or darn close to it. These 5 players aren't "sitting."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
is because he admits he has never seen Butler play.

Almost no-one here has seen Butler play. I doubt anyone had heard of her until it was reported she could transfer to UConn. There is no archived footage of her available. So, we go with what we know which is that Butler had an impressive FR year and coaches speak highly of her. She was not highly ranked or recruited in HS, but obviously improved. We also know that Lauren Cox is extremely highly rated in HS by every single person whose jobs it is to rank. She has excelled not only in HS but also on two US teams as an underage player. I've seen her play a dozen times so I have a personal opinion based on observation. Butler would have to be an extraordinary player to be ahead of Cox, imo.

It seems that he has continued with this position just to prove he's right as opposed to just extolling Cox's abilities.

Seems like the opposite to me; that some are defending the other position because Natalie Butler is a Husky and Cox isn't and may never be.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Almost no-one here has seen Butler play. I doubt anyone had heard of her until it was reported she could transfer to UConn. There is no archived footage of her available. So, we go with what we know which is that Butler had an impressive FR year and coaches speak highly of her. She was not highly ranked or recruited in HS, but obviously improved. We also know that Lauren Cox is extremely highly rated in HS by every single person whose jobs it is to rank. She has excelled not only in HS but also on two US teams as an underage player. I've seen her play a dozen times so I have a personal opinion based on observation. Butler would have to be an extraordinary player to be ahead of Cox, imo.

Seems like the opposite to me; that some are defending the other position because Natalie Butler is a Husky and Cox isn't and may never be.

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It looks like mom Mary Butler posted some videos of Natalie as a high schooler. I'm impressed that Mom seemed to emphasize the defensive highlights over the offensive ones, as there are too many people that think simply scoring a lot makes one a good basketball player. Even in games where Natalie scored 40 points, Mom concentrated on the blocks, rebounds, and assists.

It's hard to tell much from highlight videos but at that point, Natalie seemed like a talented but as yet unpolished player. A year at Georgetown and a year practicing with UConn should polish her into a gem!

Mom Butler's YouTube page with videos of Natalie (basketball and volleyball) and brother James

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I find this all so amusing - arguing about playing time between a player who is already here and one who most likely will never play for UCONN. Ultimately if that happens, it will be irrelevant as to who is better, or who would start when the other is a freshman. It's like arguing whether Stokes would start over Liz Williams. And it's especially amusing since this thread started out about Walker.

To reiterate, I hope Walker comes here. I hope she comes for another visit soon. I was chatting with one of the BY'ers and we thought maybe the reason Hunter was offered and accepted was because she's been to UCONN numerous times, seen games, practices, etc. And I believe Walker has only been to UCONN once (has it been more? not sure...). Maybe a few more visits and we will have a new player to get excited about!

Reaction Score
Seems to me this thread will continue long enough for Cox to pick a school and, whatever the answer is, it will be addressed on the court - rather than in this "court of opinions":D

Reaction Score
What would Chong have done on a third-tier team that needed her to play 35 minutes a game because the rest of the team lacked talent? My guess is her numbers would've looked quite different than they did on a team competing for a title and not willing to gamble with an inconsistent player.

And Cox wouldn't be doing all of these very things if she comes to UConn? Same situations, one's a good talent, one's an elite talent. Why is this so hard to accept?
The presumption that this elite player (based on evaluations by high school recruiting sites AND YOU) will perform in college at that ELITE level is definitely not an automatic. Williams of Duke is someone who a lot of people here on the Boneyard feel isn't nearly the player that she was expected to be and wouldn't trade Kia Stokes for Ms. Williams. I can't remember the girls name but last year the number one recruit went to Tennessee and though she's supposedly had some foot injuries, her performance last year was somewhat pathetic and yet all these evaluators were predicting the skies the limit for this young woman. What's to say that Cox might not be the same disappointment? Cox would not be coming to UConn and redshirting in order to prepare for the following year and getting familiarized for an entire year as has Butler. Butler had no choice but conversely, it's given her an immense advantage. She's learning the system, familiarizing herself with college life in Storrs and adapting even further because she'll have had two full college years under her belt to have been able to do so. Cox would be coming in, dealing with all the crap that all new freshman do, won't have the advantage of adapting to Geno's hard love for a full year plus and won't be a 20 or 21 year old woman whose body has developed and evolved over a FULL year plus with this training team. You come across like a pitbull who just won't let anything go, will you. I had been overtly impressed with your basketball acumen since you've started here and yet on this one topic, you're over the top. Though Butler MAY not possibly become the second coming of Stef Dolson, there's plenty to suggest she'll be damn good. If we were talking about Stef Dolson after her freshman year, instead of Butler, would you still be predicting that Cox would start over her almost instantaneously after arriving on campus???? I seem to remember that Dolson was (IS) one of the most revered Huskies here in a long time and was an All-American and yet, you might figure, based on some high school evaluations (that are often wrong) and some personal observations of your own , that she (Cox) would be the starter in short order, after arriving on campus? That seems to be what your suggesting. I remember a girl from Texas named Bones (I think) that ended up going to South Carolina and eventually transferred to Texas A&M, I believe, who had the same fantastic evaluations that your Ms Cox seems to have and she was anything but the super star, at least when playing against a high level opponent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The presumption that this elite player (based on evaluations by high school recruiting sites AND YOU) will perform in college at that ELITE level is definitely not an automatic. Williams of Duke is someone who a lot of people here on the Boneyard feel isn't nearly the player that she was expected to be and wouldn't trade Kia Stokes for Ms. Williams. I can't remember the girls name but last year the number one recruit went to Tennessee and though she's supposedly had some foot injuries, her performance last year was somewhat pathetic and yet all these evaluators were predicting the skies the limit for this young woman. What's to say that Cox might not be the same disappointment? Cox would not be coming to UConn and redshirting in order to prepare for the following year and getting familiarized for an entire year as has Butler. Butler had no choice but conversely, it's given her an immense advantage. She's learning the system, familiarizing herself with college life in Storrs and adapting even further because she'll have had two full college years under her belt to have been able to do so. Cox would be coming in, dealing with all the crap that all new freshman do, won't have the advantage of adapting to Geno's hard love for a full year plus and won't be a 20 or 21 year old woman whose body has developed and evolved over a FULL year plus with this training team. You come across like a pitbull who just won't let anything go, will you. I had been overtly impressed with your basketball acumen since you've started here and yet on this one topic, you're over the top. Though Butler MAY not possibly become the second coming of Stef Dolson, there's plenty to suggest she'll be damn good. If we were talking about Stef Dolson after her freshman year, instead of Butler, would you still be predicting that Cox would start over her almost instantaneously after arriving on campus???? I seem to remember that Dolson was (IS) one of the most revered Huskies here in a long time and was an All-American and yet, you might figure, based on some high school evaluations (that are often wrong) and some personal observations of your own , that she (Cox) would be the starter in short order, after arriving on campus? That seems to be what your suggesting. I remember a girl from Texas named Bones (I think) that ended up going to South Carolina and eventually transferred to Texas A&M, I believe, who had the same fantastic evaluations that your Ms Cox seems to have and she was anything but the super star, at least when playing against a high level opponent.
\

Just to let you know Mercedes Russell is the center from Tennessee and Kelsey Bone is now playing for the Connecticut Sun in the WNBA.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There are no automatics, Buzzyboy. Just as it is no sure thing that Butler would be ahead of Cox due to her experience and solid freshmen season. We're all making presumptions, you included.

Also, everyone involved in this discussion has kept it going so I'm not quite sure why I'm the pitbull here. Seems like the kennel's full.

To add to that, it's not fair either to claim I'm over the top because we disagree about something. As I said before, if you and others want to believe something else, that's fine. The only way to get the answer is for Cox to come to UConn, but there isn't a high school scout anywhere who would take Butler over Cox if forced to choose. That you can bet your life on.

Reaction Score
There are no automatics, Buzzyboy. Just as it is no sure thing that Butler would be ahead of Cox due to her experience and solid freshmen season. We're all making presumptions, you included.

Also, everyone involved in this discussion has kept it going so I'm not quite sure why I'm the pitbull here. Seems like the kennel's full.

To add to that, it's not fair either to claim I'm over the top because we disagree about something. As I said before, if you and others want to believe something else, that's fine. The only way to get the answer is for Cox to come to UConn, but there isn't a high school scout anywhere who would take Butler over Cox if forced to choose. That you can bet your life on.

I don't have any idea about how to ask all the high school coaches to compare Cox to Butler but on the Butler thread I do know what Geno said about Butler practicing against Stokes and Stewie. It made me very good about Butler's potential to help us in the ensuing years, of course only until Cox arrives!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom