Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Or was tony talking about the World Championship at Domino nation?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Pretty good. As a freshmen she averaged 13.9 ppg. Was BE Freshman of the year. She seems to be a decent defender, had 59 blocks. While Cox was playing against HS players, Butler was playing against college players 2-3 years ahead of her, and performing very well.

At the college level, Cox (who may end up being a great player) has many more "questions" than Butler does. We don't know if Cox's game will transfer to the college level. It probably will, because she is very talented, but you never know until they do it. Whereas Butler's game has already been demonstrated at the college level. There isn't a question of whether it will or not. It already has.

Yes, I'm aware of the stats. The problem is stats don't always give you the full measure of a player. Hers were compiled in 36 minutes of PT, a number she'll never approach at UConn. In more reasonable minutes, her numbers look good but not as good. And, again, they don't tell you how good a screener or passer she is; how well she runs the floor. I have seen Cox many times and I can tell you she is a high level passer, floor-runner, and shot-blocker.

Let's be real: Gabby Williams' stats per minute played are better than Butler's were and Gabby still hasn't gotten the complete trust of Geno yet. You can't read everything into stats.

I believe Butler will be a good player but I don't think there is a girls basketball scout anywhere who would take her over Lauren Cox. And that is, for the 10th time, not a mark against Butler.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm aware of the stats. The problem is stats don't always give you the full measure of a player. Hers were compiled in 36 minutes of PT, a number she'll never approach at UConn. In more reasonable minutes, her numbers look good but not as good. And, again, they don't tell you how good a screener or passer she is; how well she runs the floor. I have seen Cox many times and I can tell you she is a high level passer, floor-runner, and shot-blocker.

Let's be real: Gabby Williams' stats per minute played are better than Butler's were and Gabby still hasn't gotten the complete trust of Geno yet. You can't read everything into stats.

I believe Butler will be a good player but I don't think there is a girls basketball scout anywhere who would take her over Lauren Cox. And that is, for the 10th time, not a mark against Butler.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Let us say,that Connecticut gets Lauren Cox,and that she will be directly competing for minutes with Natalie Butler.First of all,as good as Cox seems to be,Butler has two advantages over her.One,she has a year of playing college ball'and whether the competition is excellent or not,really matters little,because she still proved she has potential to become something special,by holding her own as a freshman in the college game.Also,she has or will have,a year's experience in the Connecticut system,and I cannot emphasis that enough,a year learning the system,and understanding how her team mates play,and what she needs to do better.Lauren will have the disadvantage,as to these two points.

Since Natalie has shown talent,the desire to learn and get better,and understands what is expected and what needs to be done to improve,I have to say she will end up being more than a good player.She has the potential,and the coaching staff,to become an exceptional player,and I would not be surprised if she attained the AA status before she is done.

Lauren would surely be a good player,yet,she hasn't realized the hard work and coaching that will be ahead of her verses what she is dealing with in high school.With a coaching staff like Connecticut,she could become an excellent player,but only time would tell.

Almost every time experience comes out on top,and someone is going to have to earn their way past Natalie,into the starter's role.

I would never bet against Geno and company,making someone into an elite college player,and I believe Natalie will reach that goal,with hard work and listening to the lessons this staff will present to her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But you haven't seen Cox pass, block or run the floor at a college level, against college players. Again, Butler has. And has done it really well.

Well let's be real. 1) who trusts girls scouts anyway :rolleyes: 2) Butler and Cox don't play the same position 3) they are gonna be 2 years apart, sooooo there's really taking one or the other.

Will Cox eventually be better than Butler? Maybe. Could be, should be. (Personally I think she will) Will she be when she's a Freshman and Butler is a Jr with 2 years (3 years of college level practice) experience? Doubt it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But you haven't seen Cox pass, block or run the floor at a college level, against college players. Again, Butler has. And has done it really well.

How do you know she's done those things really well? Have you watched her play?

Competition doesn't matter in determining how well someone runs the floor, how athletic they are, or if they can pass.

2) Butler and Cox don't play the same position

Sure they do. They're both centers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but no one calls Lauren Cox a center. Hoopgurlz has her listed as a forward. the write up from Prospects Nation says "What’s especially impressive about Cox is her ability to play the not only the four and the five, but also step out and be a 6-4 small forward. She’s long, lean and fluid with the ability to handle the ball in the open court, shoot the outside shot (both mid-range and three) and work in the paint with both a face-up and back-to-the-basket skills. Defensively she is also a huge presence blocking shots and deterring teams from getting shots in the paint with her wingspan".

Team USA's own website refers to her as a "Forward". Interestingly enough they list Anigwe and Mulkey as centers. I'm not saying Lauren can't "play" the 5. After all on Team USA starters were mostly 2 guards (Durr, Ogunbowale), a Wing (Samuelson), and 2 forwards (Boykin and Cox), but it IS possible to start 2 forwards instead of 1 forward and 1 center.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but no one calls Lauren Cox a center. Hoopgurlz has her listed as a forward.

Hoopgurlz doesn't call anyone a center. They don't use the term to describe positions.

Kristine Anigue isn't a "center" so that tells you all you need to know about the team USA site. Regardless, being a center doesn't preclude someone from being a forward. It's semantics. Any way you slice it, UConn would have 6-4 and 6-5 bigs on the court at the same time if Cox comes and they both start.

Cox plays center on her HS and AAU teams. Dolson spent more time on the perimeter than Cox will and Dolson was always considered a center.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz doesn't call anyone a center. They don't use the term to describe positions.

Kristine Anigue isn't a "center" so that tells you all you need to know about the team USA site. Regardless, being a center doesn't preclude someone from being a forward. It's semantics. Any way you slice it, UConn would have 6-4 and 6-5 bigs on the court at the same time if Cox comes and they both start.

Cox plays center on her HS and AAU teams. Dolson spent more time on the perimeter than Cox will and Dolson was always considered a center.
HG uses P for a center - Post player. You can call her whatever you want. I'm just telling you the facts...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
HG uses P for a center - Post player. You can call her whatever you want. I'm just telling you the facts...

Post just means the player isn't normally considered versatile enough to play outside the post. Cox certainly is, but then so was Dolson. Cox is going to play all over the court, almost assuredly more than Butler will. However, Cox has inside scoring skills. It's yet to be known if Butler does.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but no one calls Lauren Cox a center. Hoopgurlz has her listed as a forward. the write up from Prospects Nation says "What’s especially impressive about Cox is her ability to play the not only the four and the five, but also step out and be a 6-4 small forward. She’s long, lean and fluid with the ability to handle the ball in the open court, shoot the outside shot (both mid-range and three) and work in the paint with both a face-up and back-to-the-basket skills. Defensively she is also a huge presence blocking shots and deterring teams from getting shots in the paint with her wingspan".

Team USA's own website refers to her as a "Forward". Interestingly enough they list Anigwe and Mulkey as centers. I'm not saying Lauren can't "play" the 5. After all on Team USA starters were mostly 2 guards (Durr, Ogunbowale), a Wing (Samuelson), and 2 forwards (Boykin and Cox), but it IS possible to start 2 forwards instead of 1 forward and 1 center.

What you have described is a Kayla Pedersen type player... LINK

LINK2

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Post just means the player isn't normally considered versatile enough to play outside the post. Cox certainly is, but then so was Dolson. Cox is going to play all over the court, almost assuredly more than Butler will. However, Cox has inside scoring skills. It's yet to be known if Butler does.
fair enough. That I totally agree with. And in fairness, with her size and strength I have no doubt she will spend time "IN" the post on both offense and defense. Perhaps the reason people seem to be arguing is when someone says "center", it's a player like Tina Charles or Mulkey or Vaughn - someone who doesn't really have much of a game away from the basket.

You could say Stewie is a "center" in that she starts at the 5... Unless you want to say Tuck is the center, but I think most would agree they are forwards. Really it's just a word. But I totally agree she is super versatile, and I do agree she will spend time no matter where she goes at the 5 position... :)

Reaction Score
I'm staying out of this mess because we are (just) one of the many schools these players are considering. Does 'A' want to play for Geno? Yes. Otherwise Uconn would not be on her long list. Does she ... to play for ND, TX, etc.? Yes. They are on her list. So, we are back to sq. one. So, John A isn't just rumoring. He knows for sure (as we do) that she wants to play for Geno. He forgot to say that she also want to play for xyz and is not in any hurry to decide on who she will not be playing for on her list.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How do you know she's done those things really well? Have you watched her play?
Um yea. I've seen videos. Who hasn't??

Competition doesn't matter in determining how well someone runs the floor, how athletic they are, or if they can pass.
Gives it perspective.

Sure they do. They're both centers.
Ummm, no. Cox is a Forward (4). Maybe your are thinking of McCoy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Excuse me??? We already know Butler can score inside at the college level. We actually don't know that about Cox yet. You're completely backwards here. :confused:

One thing I didn't know about her though was she is a Type 1 diabetic.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Um yea. I've seen videos. Who hasn't??

Gives it perspective.

Ummm, no. Cox is a Forward (4). Maybe your are thinking of McCoy.

Where are these videos of Butler?

As for Cox, I've seen her play more than a dozen times in actual games. I'm not getting into a winless semantical argument over position labels. I've also watched McCoy several times and she could easily be labeled a forward too. They both do similar things, Cox just does most of them better.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Excuse me??? We already know Butler can score inside at the college level. We actually don't know that about Cox yet. You're completely backwards here. :confused:

How do we know this? Anyone who plays 36 minutes a game and has a Div 1 scholarship can score some points. Hell, Chong would average 10 points a game over 36 minutes this year, yet she's been invisible since the Stanford game.

Again, I don't come to conclusions soley on stats. I like what I've heard about Butler and was hoping she would come to UConn when it was made known she would transfer. But we really don't know much of anything about her offensive abilities. I've seen Lauren Cox' skills, as have many others who get paid to do so, and our conclusions all pretty much match. People didn't have to see Stewart or Taurasi face college competition to know how talented they were.

Reaction Score
Being told by Tony how to spell things (including Dominovitamin 8 tion) is like being told by Boko Haram how to behave at PTA meetings.
Kind of in poor taste with potentially 2 thousand innocents dead? Would you have made the same joke about Al Qaeda two weeks after September 11th?

JS

Reaction Score
Kind of in poor taste with potentially 2 thousand innocents dead? Would you have made the same joke about Al Qaeda two weeks after September 11th?
The joke isn't about the dead, though thanks for your concern and perspective on taste.

The name Boko Haram means, roughly, "Western education is a sin." In other words, a virulently anti-education group advising on manners at a PTA meeting, juxtaposed with Tony advising on spelling. Both more suited to disrupt than to observe correctness.

You still won't like it, and I don't especially like explaining or justifying jokes, but there you are.

Reaction Score
One thing we do know about Butler is that her plans include attending UConn. For bona fides, we can see that she's already attending UConn. We don't know whether or not that is in Cox's future, or have the slightest clue what the future of her studies and play is.

Reaction Score
No one would have gotten the joke if it weren't for the dead (or at least the mass-kidnapping), though thanks for your glib implications that people would have been OK with the joke if something similar had happened in the US.

You'll still be defensive, and I don't especially like being the one to point out that 6 people would be jumping down your throat rather than liking your post if it were an equivalent joke about a terrorist organization several days after they killed thousands of Americans, but there you are.

Boko Haram, an al-Qaeda affiliate of terrorists and human scum, is a stain on mankind; a collection of monstrous miscreants who have kidnapped, tortured, raped, and killed scores of children. Using that name in any 'joke' is shameful.

Reaction Score

Your info is skewed because Williams isn't always playing in "prime time" while Butler was playing in prime time. She was also playing appreciably more minutes which means that there is less likelihood that her stats are skewed. I'm not trying to denigrate Williams, who I think has the potential to be an excellent player. You've seen Cox play against high school sophomores and juniors and seniors, some of whom are exceptional but many who are far from it and sometimes it's easy to dominate when you have a physical advantage or you MATURE a bit earlier than someone else but the older you get, the more those physical advantages can be neutralized. Your remarks contribute to people saying negative things about Cox when most people here are willing to concede that she's a talented kid. How will that translate into college is what's difficult to presume. The advantage is Butler has already proven something on a far bigger stage than has Cox!!!!!

Reaction Score
How do we know this? Anyone who plays 36 minutes a game and has a Div 1 scholarship can score some points. Hell, Chong would average 10 points a game over 36 minutes this year, yet she's been invisible since the Stanford game.

Again, I don't come to conclusions soley on stats. I like what I've heard about Butler and was hoping she would come to UConn when it was made known she would transfer. But we really don't know much of anything about her offensive abilities. I've seen Lauren Cox' skills, as have many others who get paid to do so, and our conclusions all pretty much match. People didn't have to see Stewart or Taurasi face college competition to know how talented they were.
You mention the "others who get paid to do so", meaning evaluate high school talent and though a big portion of those kids evaluated highly come to fruition, there are a portion who end up doing nothing of the kind. The suggestion that scouting evaluations ALWAYS bear fruit is far from true and some of the top ten RATED talent ends up being somewhat akin to chopped liver. For you to suggest that they always get it right just isn't so.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Your info is skewed because Williams isn't always playing in "prime time" while Butler was playing in prime time.

If the assertion is that Williams is somehow dominating garbage time, I don't think that is accurate at all. UConn has mostly struggled to do anything late with big leads as we have seen. So I disagree with your thesis. Also, Georgetown had a losing record and was blown out numerous times last year so Butler, averaging 36 minutes per, surely played in her share of less than "prime time" situations.

You've seen Cox play against high school sophomores and juniors and seniors, some of whom are exceptional but many who are far from it and sometimes it's easy to dominate when you have a physical advantage or you MATURE a bit earlier than someone else but the older you get, the more those physical advantages can be neutralized.

The games in which I have seen Cox play were in AAU tournaments against quality competition and with team USA against solid international players, many of which were older than her. There really is no need to attempt to explain away why so many people think so highly of Cox. She's not some big oaf dominating a bunch of scrubs. She's legit, and until I see Butler play some I will remain of the opinion that Cox is the bigger talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom