Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Walker Wants to play for Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't have any idea about how to ask all the high school coaches to compare Cox to Butler but on the Butler thread I do know what Geno said about Butler practicing against Stokes and Stewie. It made me very good about Butler's potential to help us in the ensuing years, of course only until Cox arrives!

I agree. I like what I've heard about Butler. I have a feeling she's strong as an ox. Think she'll be very good and important against teams like SC and even ND with Turner.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im really not worried about any top player coming to UConn and getting playtime . Geno will find them time. First of all Natalie has experience at a higher level conference then the AAC. She has proven what she can do and Geno took her based on what top coaches have said. Now that's all I need to know. If Cox comes she will get play time based on her development. She will most likely be Butlers successor. Now will Tuck start over Butler in the middle ? We don't know how things will play out. IMO it really doesn't matter because UConn is so good either one would be great and both will see a lot of playtime.

As far as who is starting. We don't know yet because we haven't seen Natalie in action in a UConn uniform but the coaches have. So who starts. MoJeff Nurse Stewie Tuck and Butler. Next years freshman class hasn't earned anything yet and still has to be proven but they are very promising based on their high school performances. Their development and practice time will dictate that. So the following year Cox would be due in. Butler will be a junior and with Cox's arrival the timing is perfect. Cox will then be developed and playtime will be dictated by her practice and development just like everybody else. She will be in a no pressure situation to "have to do" anything or try to impress anyone. She will be surrounded by the best team players in the nation.

Lets face it. With UConn winning by such large margins everybody is going to see playtime. You see whats playing out this season. UConn is light years ahead of every other team. Almost every game is a blow out. The kids are gonna play a lot of minutes. They cant all start but they will all be valuable on UConns march to many more National Championships.

Its all here for every girl who has a dream of playing for a NC and the best coaching staff in WCBB. If starting or being a individual star is more important then perhaps kids go elsewhere. UConn is a very special place for those who want it.

Now lets get back to Webster. From everything Ive heard shes a great talent with a great attitude. Geno obviously wants her and from what Im told she wants to play for UConn...for now. That can change too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, just standing up for my big brother here - putting all players' stats into terms of 40 minutes gives us an opportunity to compare apples to apples. It gives us a way to compare Briana Pulido's .1 points (in 2.3 minutes) per game to Breanna Stewart's 16.8 points per game (in 29.5 minutes). You make a basic assumption - one we know is improbable but you need a comparative basis - that both players play 40 minutes. It could be 10 minutes or 15 or 60; 40 is used because it's the number of minutes in a game. In that way, we can compare what might, theoretically happen if both players played for the full 40 minutes. Now, we know there are variables, such as the fact Stewie plays against the tougher starting players rather than the subs that Briana usually plays against but it's just a statistical modeling. Fun for stats geeks and fans alike and just something else to mull over. As we are, I guess!
I like JR's spreadsheets. They are fun to look at. It's just the way Slu was using 40 minute stats to compare players. Doesn't really work. At times it made Lawlor our best player.

Again, nothing against JR, met him down in FL, nice guy, and I know he puts a lot of work into those. I like looking at them, they're fun.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dag Nabbit Meyers...you agree with me, but apparently don't like my post!! Moderators Alert: We Need another Button - the Agree button, and Agree should be worth 3 Likes. :rolleyes:
Sorry, sometime I just get sooooo excited about replying I skip/forget the "like". :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Butler's transfer was just what UConn needed since they will be short on bigs next season.
Actually we'll have more "bigs" next year than this year. And a lot more height overall. Not sure why people keep bringing this up????

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry, sometime I just get sooooo excited about replying I skip/forget the "like". :cool:

You are forgiven. I have that effect on lots of folk, prefer them female and considerably younger than myself (loose moral character helps too):D. Just don't do it again, eh?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am reminded of the interminable tale of a young lady called A'ja with respect to the attention lavished on Cox, and I expect the same result. Only difference is A'ja had her choices down to 9 (I think) at this point, while Cox is at 13 at present.

Reaction Score
Actually we'll have more "bigs" next year than this year. And a lot more height overall. Not sure why people keep bringing this up????

I was thinking about posts. Not including Butler we will be getting 3 frontcourt players next year but 2 are wings and Boykin is really 6'1". If we weren't getting Butler who would play back up at the #4 and #5 positions for Stewart and Tuck, assuming they start ?
BTW. Congratulations on Arsenal's win over MC today.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about posts. Not including Butler we will be getting 3 frontcourt players next year but 2 are wings and Boykin is really 6'1". If we weren't getting Butler who would play back up at the #4 and #5 positions for Stewart and Tuck, assuming they start ?

I've heard Boykin is 6'3. You're saying she is 6'1? She's not even taller than Collier?

And when you look at Gabby Williams - she is playing "post." And how tall is Tuck- 6'2. You don't think Collier can defend there?

And regarding KLS - she is the number1 ranked recruit. I've read that she grabs tough rebounds in traffic . . . - with her size - you don't think she can defend the post at all? For the number 1 ranked recruit - you think she is more of a 2/3?

I am not arguing. I thought in the USA tournament and 3 on 3 etc I thought Boykin was guarding other bigger players. And I thought she looked taller than Collier. Unless Collier isn't 6'1? Though again I can't really tell.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I've heard Boykin is 6'3. You're saying she is 6'1? She's not even taller than Collier?

And when you look at Gabby Williams - she is playing "post." And how tall is Tuck- 6'2. You don't think Collier can defend there?

And regarding KLS - she is the number1 ranked recruit. I've read that she grabs tough rebounds in traffic . . . - with her size - you don't think she can defend the post at all? For the number 1 ranked recruit - you think she is more of a 2/3?

I am not arguing. I thought in the USA tournament and 3 on 3 etc I thought Boykin was guarding other bigger players. And I thought she looked taller than Collier. Unless Collier isn't 6'1? Though again I can't really tell.
KLS_heights.jpg

Reaction Score

I think they (Collier and Boykin) are, for all practical purposes, the same height.
Tuck is 6'2" but has the bulk that Boykin doesn't have. It would be GREAT if KLS (or Boykin or Collier for that matter) could play the 4 effectively. If she (they) could, it would solve all kinds of playing time questions.
I'll concede that in 95% of the games that UConn plays in, having Boykin or Collier play the 4 probably wouldn't pose a problem. It's in the games against the very top teams with bigger lineups were I could see a POSSIBLE problem arising.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, but when you look at it overall, THIS year we have 3 players over 6-0. (Stewart, Stokes, Tuck) and we seem to be doing ok. NEXT year we'll have 6 players over 6-0 (Stewart, Tuck, Bulter, Samuelson, Boykin, Collier). We'll have 1 true 5 player both years (Stokes, then Butler). But as this year has shown, Stewart and Tuck can fill in there pretty well.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm so dumb as to stick my two-cents in this, but...
Evaluating HS girls and trying to determine how they will perform at the next level is so difficult and predicated upon so many variables and intangibles, and for the most part, all things considered, the rating services seem to do a pretty accurate job. Looking at the recent history of one such service, Hoopgurlz, and I don't know if they are considered among the best or worst or somewhere in the middle, their selections are interesting, if not illuminating:

For 2009: Griner #1, Bone #2, Diggins #3, Kelly Faris #34
Griner and Diggins clearly matched their evaluations, I'd say Kelly exceeded expectations
2010: Chiney #1, Odyssey #3, Schimmel #8, Samarie Walker #10, Kayla McBride #20
Chiney and Sims were rated spot on, Schimmel, too. Walker way off, as was Kayla
2011: KML #1, Liz Williams #2, Burdick #3, Massengale #4
Kaleena and Elizabeth have done great work for their programs, Burdick and Ariel have yet to justify their high rankings
2012: Stewie #1, MoJeff #2
Two for two in NCs- rated exactly where they should be
2013: Mercedes Russell #1, Kaela Davis #2, Taya Reimer #4
Russell yet to be healthy so rating unsure, Kaela Davis overrated, as is Reimer
2014: Wilson #1, Turner #2, Kelsey Mitchell #5
A'ja, Brianna and Mitchell all look like the real deal.
Many of these selections seem (in retrospect) to be genuine no-brainers, but...

There seem to be so many factors that are difficult if not impossible to calculate:
- Kelly Faris' heart, determination, work ethic enabled her to perform at a higher level than most rankings. -Samarie Walker had difficulties with a very demanding coach, transfer to UK still didn't perform to her ratings, Kayla was super and underrated out of HS. -Elizabeth Williams might have been great(er) with a better coach. The 2 UT players I think also suffer(ed) as a result of Holly/No Pat -Stewie and Mo performed to their high ratings
- Russell can't be judged yet, Davis seems an out-of-control, not a team player who will compile big numbers and zero championships.

I think the easier things to see when watching high school girls play are the individual skills/talents they possess- how well they run, jump, shoot, pass, defend. Their conditioning is also pretty observable. How "translatable" are these to the next level- that can be really tough to figure. What isn't always readily known is how coachable they are, how hard are they willing to work (for themselves or for the team?) What kind of motor (heart) do they have ( a Faris warrior-heart or a Walker?) Interesting that #1 Griner, Ogwumike, KML, and Stewart all played for coaches universally considered to be the best in the college game- Mulkey, VanDerVeer, and Auriemma. Were they able to live up to their # 1 HS ranking because they played for the best coaches? Did these great coaches get something out of them that other, lesser coaches might not have been able to? The X-Factor of great vs. not great coaching in WCBB. Reimer has yet to live up to her ranking (conditioning?) but she is still young. McBride and Faris were far better than advertised, and how much of that was a function of having perhaps the two best coaches in McGraw and Geno? Or is it a function of that immeasureable intangible - desire, heart, indomitable will?

Based on what I have seen of Lauren Cox (and based on none of the hype I have read) I think she's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime GREAT at the next level. Come to UConn, Lauren. PLEASE You won't regret it.

Reaction Score
Im really not worried about any top player coming to UConn and getting playtime . Geno will find them time. First of all Natalie has experience at a higher level conference then the AAC. She has proven what she can do and Geno took her based on what top coaches have said. Now that's all I need to know. If Cox comes she will get play time based on her development. She will most likely be Butlers successor. Now will Tuck start over Butler in the middle ? We don't know how things will play out. IMO it really doesn't matter because UConn is so good either one would be great and both will see a lot of playtime.

As far as who is starting. We don't know yet because we haven't seen Natalie in action in a UConn uniform but the coaches have. So who starts. MoJeff Nurse Stewie Tuck and Butler. Next years freshman class hasn't earned anything yet and still has to be proven but they are very promising based on their high school performances. Their development and practice time will dictate that. So the following year Cox would be due in. Butler will be a junior and with Cox's arrival the timing is perfect. Cox will then be developed and playtime will be dictated by her practice and development just like everybody else. She will be in a no pressure situation to "have to do" anything or try to impress anyone. She will be surrounded by the best team players in the nation.

Lets face it. With UConn winning by such large margins everybody is going to see playtime. You see whats playing out this season. UConn is light years ahead of every other team. Almost every game is a blow out. The kids are gonna play a lot of minutes. They cant all start but they will all be valuable on UConns march to many more National Championships.

Its all here for every girl who has a dream of playing for a NC and the best coaching staff in WCBB. If starting or being a individual star is more important then perhaps kids go elsewhere. UConn is a very special place for those who want it.

Now lets get back to Webster. From everything Ive heard shes a great talent with a great attitude. Geno obviously wants her and from what Im told she wants to play for UConn...for now. That can change too.
Who's Webster?

Reaction Score
Corn
<<Megan Walker is the second coming of Maya Moore and will be more important to the history of UConn basketball than either Cox or Butler.>>

When is Gillian Goring getting to Campus?

She's still on her way. You know, waiting for goring(oh wait, that's godot), never mind. ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom