Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership?

Reaction Score
Rutgers gets a full share in the Big 10. It was used to pay the buy in and the repayment of a loan so the net to them was lower during the transition. I believe that all of that is done now though.
Yes, they weren't getting a 100% distribution/share was my point and there's no reason to think the B1G wouldn't at least consider that with "second tier" west coast potential adds such as OR/WA/Cal/Stanford. Though, it does make a caste system of sorts.

Reaction Score
I heard that ABC/ESPN will handle both ACC and SEC games next year. Wouldn't the Disney folks rather have FSU and Clemson playing with the big boys to drive FB ratings than with the likes of Boston College and Syracuse. That would make openings for UConn and maybe Tulane.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I heard that ABC/ESPN will handle both ACC and SEC games next year. Wouldn't the Disney folks rather have FSU and Clemson playing with the big boys to drive FB ratings than with the likes of Boston College and Syracuse. That would make openings for UConn and maybe Tulane.
Why would they ever want to pay more for the same product? FSU is drawing pretty good ratings right now and they pay at maybe 40 cents on the dollar. Moving them to the SEC just raises their costs. Now, if they could do that and pay the teams remaining in the ACC 15 million per school, maybe it makes sense.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, they weren't getting a 100% distribution/share was my point and there's no reason to think the B1G wouldn't at least consider that with "second tier" west coast potential adds such as OR/WA/Cal/Stanford. Though, it does make a caste system of sorts.
No, they hundred percent were. It was just being used to pay off debts.

Personally, I think the two-tier system is a recipe for disaster in some respects. It would create divisiveness among the conference members, and I wonder whether it really is that great a deal for the underclass. I suppose it’s better than being on the outside looking in.

What I do think is a possibility is to invite teams and lengthen their de facto buy in. If a team joins the B10 and would otherwise be getting, I don’t know say 75 million a year, they start out at 25 million a year and incrementally earned their way up to a full share. In the meantime, the other teams are getting the advantage of the 50 million a year that isn’t being distributed to them. I it’s kind of tricky about figuring out the sweet spot. If you are an existing member you want as long as buy in term as possible, but still want to offer something that would entice quality members to join. The big question mark is whether your media partners will view an addition as being worthy of generating a full share. As conference values continue to escalate that becomes a more and more difficult proposition.

Reaction Score
Why would they ever want to pay more for the same product? FSU is drawing pretty good ratings right now and they pay at maybe 40 cents on the dollar. Moving them to the SEC just raises their costs. Now, if they could do that and pay the teams remaining in the ACC 15 million per school, maybe it makes sense.
The ratings would be boosted for the network, right now ACC channel is weak.

CL82

Reaction Score
The ratings would be boosted for the network, right now ACC channel is weak.
Would they, though? FSU continues to draw. I think they have had the highest ratings in the ACC by a significant margin.

Reaction Score
LOL. It has nothing to do with what I prefer. It is only about dummies like you not realizing it's never going to happen.
Says the guy that predicted 2 football wins last year and a blowout at the hands of Utah State. :rolleyes:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1 - Anyone who thinks the B1G or SEC will make a knee-jerk move and add schools to join shortly after their newest additions join is dreaming.

2 - Anyone who believes that either conference is done expanding is deluded.

I personally see the end result for both to be 24 schools (28 is an outside possibility) but this will be 10-15 years out with incremental additions.

There will be quite a bit of (financial) pain felt by those outside of the power two. I'm also pretty much convinced that there will be an unwritten rule with expanded college football playoffs that a minimum of three SEC and two B1G schools will be in the playoffs every year (eith a couple more on the list for at large bids).

Any school with aspirations of joining will need to be patient, determined and lucky.

Reaction Score
Administrator at prominent ACC school points to reworked contract with ESPN

If you read our big Pac-12-ACC chessboard piece last week, which is one of the most-read pieces in our site’s young (three-year) existence, you read analysis about the ACC from Jeffrey Fann of the ACC-specific website All Sports Discussion.

Jeff picked up a very newsworthy comment from the chancellor of the University of North Carolina, Kevin Guskiewicz, via Chapel Hill radio station WCHL (97.9 FM).

Here is that comment from Guskiewicz:

Nevertheless, Guskiewicz said he remains hopeful UNC and the league could work out a new deal.

“I’m optimistic we’re gonna get a better contract,” he said. “I think ESPN recognizes the importance of a strong ACC, which it really is. It’s an incredibly strong conference.”

Let’s be clear about this statement. There is no imminent deal. The specifics of an arrangement are nowhere to be found. One should not presume the parameters of the deal.

What one should reasonably conclude is that ESPN is not going to open up the ACC grant of rights to the extent that schools can get out of it. That almost certainly will not happen. However, one can certainly see ESPN coming to ACC schools — who are unhappy with the TV package they currently have — and sliding more money to each ACC school to sweeten the current deal. That seems likely.

Whether an ACC-Pac-12 merger would be part of that? It’s hard to know, but that merger does give ACC schools another avenue if they think it’s worth pursuing.

So, don’t assume this means an ACC-Pac-12 merger is in the works. Do assume that ESPN is gearing up to strengthen the ACC, which is certainly going to be noticed by Pac-12 schools, George Kliavkoff, and other power brokers in college sports.

Reaction Score
So, the Pac 12 may get $20 to $25 million in media revenues in their new contract and the ACC gets $20 to $25 million but merging the 2 conferences will result in a $30 to $40 million payday per school? The ACC and Pac 12 get less than the Big 10 and SEC because their TV ratings are well below the P2. FSU and Clemson are arguing that their TV ratings for their games are similar to the P2 and they deserve more money either through unequal revenue sharing or by moving to the P2. And, the increase in travel cost could be >$5 million per school per year so why would the ACC merge with the Pac 12 for a modest potential pay increase?
ESPN isn't going to open the contract if ACC adds new schools, they already have the ACC at a discount.
They aren't going to increase the payout to individual teams. They already have all 14 schools at a cheap rate.

Reaction Score
ESPN isn't going to open the contract if ACC adds new schools, they already have the ACC at a discount.
They aren't going to increase the payout to individual teams. They already have all 14 schools at a cheap rate.
See above article.

Reaction Score
"I'm no math wizard but using that number and the 120 million exit fee is like 770 million. That's your starting number FSU. What say you @billybud ?"

I have always thought that the GOR is almost impossible to challenge because of its simplicity of language and cost...

There are only two "outs" that I could forsee...

1...the GOR specifically states that the Member Institutions grant all rights as necessary for the conference to meet the contractual obligations expressly set forth in the ESPN Agreement....

........If ESPN and the ACC's agreement changes to not require a particular team...that team is released from the GOR. There are scenarios where the conference might receive the same monies from ESPN in a renegotiated ESPN agreement. If ESPN wanted to add teams to the ACC and switch a team to its other property, the SEC. Much less incentive for ESPN to let a team go to the B1G..a competitor's property.

2....If one wants to challenge the legality under Florida law of the resigning of the GOR.. ( Swofford very purposely came to Tallahassee and met personally with each BOT member to persuade them to sign the GOR). This end around of the Florida law that requires open meetings of the BOT might be a chink.
So let me get this straight. You're saying a path forward is letting FSU go to the SEC, paying them more money (possibly Clemson as well), while not reducing the money for the remaining ACC schools? And bringing in more schools to the ACC and paying them more money as well. If you were ESPN you would do this because...FSU needs to keep up with the Joneses?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. You're saying a path forward is letting FSU go to the SEC, paying them more money (possibly Clemson as well), while not reducing the money for the remaining ACC schools? And bringing in more schools to the ACC and paying them more money as well. If you were ESPN you would do this because...FSU needs to keep up with the Joneses?

He’s saying that he really does not see a path forward, but proposed two long shots because someone asked him the question.

Reaction Score
Administrator at prominent ACC school points to reworked contract with ESPN

If you read our big Pac-12-ACC chessboard piece last week, which is one of the most-read pieces in our site’s young (three-year) existence, you read analysis about the ACC from Jeffrey Fann of the ACC-specific website All Sports Discussion.

Jeff picked up a very newsworthy comment from the chancellor of the University of North Carolina, Kevin Guskiewicz, via Chapel Hill radio station WCHL (97.9 FM).

Here is that comment from Guskiewicz:

Nevertheless, Guskiewicz said he remains hopeful UNC and the league could work out a new deal.

“I’m optimistic we’re gonna get a better contract,” he said. “I think ESPN recognizes the importance of a strong ACC, which it really is. It’s an incredibly strong conference.”

Let’s be clear about this statement. There is no imminent deal. The specifics of an arrangement are nowhere to be found. One should not presume the parameters of the deal.

What one should reasonably conclude is that ESPN is not going to open up the ACC grant of rights to the extent that schools can get out of it. That almost certainly will not happen. However, one can certainly see ESPN coming to ACC schools — who are unhappy with the TV package they currently have — and sliding more money to each ACC school to sweeten the current deal. That seems likely.

Whether an ACC-Pac-12 merger would be part of that? It’s hard to know, but that merger does give ACC schools another avenue if they think it’s worth pursuing.

So, don’t assume this means an ACC-Pac-12 merger is in the works. Do assume that ESPN is gearing up to strengthen the ACC, which is certainly going to be noticed by Pac-12 schools, George Kliavkoff, and other power brokers in college sports.

If I had stock in Disney, I would be upset with this move.

Reaction Score
Noeynox...

You asked me a question and I did my best to answer....

As I posted...I have always thought that the GOR is binding,,,

You asked me...I told you...

ESPN is the controller.

As far as FSU and Clemson go, maybe ESPN has crunched the numbers and they realize that matching those two with SEC heavyweights and middleweights is ratings gold. The Seminoles and Tigers are content multipliers and ESPN could maybe justify paying them SEC rates given the matchups they would provide (versus playing Wake, Cuse, Duke, etc)...

Will that happen ? I don't think so.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So a guy hears a radio broadcast where a school's official states that he hopes ESPN, out of the goodness of their hearts decides to throw more money the ACC's way (this way the ACC wont feel so stupid about signing a long term agreement with no means to kick in escalating revenues if the market changed significantly beyond initial speculation).

I really believe that this will happen.

Reaction Score
Another issue for the ACC is the SEC football rivalry games as the SEC goes to 9 conference games. Does South Carolina want to play Clemson every year? Does Florida want to play FSU every year?... Maybe not. It's not crazy thinking as many rivalry games have disappeared for long periods of time like Nebraska/Oklahoma, West Virginia/Pitt, Texas/Texas A&M, Arkansas/Texas, Missouri/Kansas. If you look at future schedules, if the SEC plays 9 conference games, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina will have to drop games over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Noeynox...

ESPN is the controller.

As far as FSU and Clemson go, maybe ESPN has crunched the numbers and they realize that matching those two with SEC heavyweights and middleweights is ratings gold. The Seminoles and Tigers are content multipliers and ESPN could maybe justify paying them SEC rates given the matchups they would provide (versus playing Wake, Cuse, Duke, etc)...

There is no way ESPN is going to pay more money for something they got cheap. Why would they throw more money at something they already have exclusive rights to?
That would be a bad buisness decision, and Disney is having problems elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Neither are FSU or Clemson. My guess is the SEC and B1G have no incentive to do anything right now. The leftover PAC teams and FSU and Clemson can cry about it all they want. SEC contract is up soon, but OU and UT was the move for them, I think they are done. They can watch the rabble scramble and slowly fall behind.

FSU and Clemson are big names with some reach nationally. People tune in to watch them play.

Nobody tunes in to watch UNC football or UVA football. They don’t add value. They are just another mouth feed.

Reaction Score
Noeynox...

ESPN is the controller.

I respect your answer but your talking to fans of school that saw their revenues slashed considerably due to the actions of ESPN and the ACC. Speaking for myself only, I'm not gonna cry a river over FSU's plight at the moment. I kind of derive enjoyment from it, the same way our former peers took pride in rubbing salt in our wounds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson are big names with some reach nationally. People tune in to watch them play.

Nobody tunes in to watch UNC football or UVA football. They don’t add value. They are just another mouth feed.
And yet more people tune in to watch them than Rutgers or Maryland. I'm not saying it's likely, the B1G doesn't need to add anyone. But they won't touch FSU or Clemson. Just not a fit. Ultimately the ACC is going to be intact for quite a while.

Reaction Score
And yet more people tune in to watch them than Rutgers or Maryland. I'm not saying it's likely, the B1G doesn't need to add anyone. But they won't touch FSU or Clemson. Just not a fit. Ultimately the ACC is going to be intact for quite a while.

Rutgers was a terrible decision. And that doesn’t make what I am saying not true.

Reaction Score
Is the State of CT still subsidizing ESPN with tax breaks? If so, why? Why is not UConn pushing state government to put some heat on ESPN to get UConn a seat at the table? What does ESPN contribute to the CT economy?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rutgers was a terrible decision. And that doesn’t make what I am saying not true.
I think what we are both saying is true. FSU and Clemson have the most football fans and best football brands in the ACC with Miami probably close. Also true, the B1G wouldn’t add any of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom