Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership? | The Boneyard

Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership?

Reaction Score
Exit fees will not delay the process. UConn will go when and if the ACC comes calling. The athletic dumpster fire that is BCU will not be an obstacle this time as BCU brings no TV ratings or appeal in New England or anywhere else. The bigger issue is whether Clemson, FSU and the other historically significant football schools would want UConn. I think the ACC would need to see another year or two of football competency before anything happens.

Reaction Score
Exit fees will not delay the process. UConn will go when and if the ACC comes calling. The athletic dumpster fire that is BCU will not be an obstacle this time as BCU brings no TV ratings or appeal in New England or anywhere else. The bigger issue is whether Clemson, FSU and the other historically significant football schools would want UConn. I think the ACC would need to see another year or two of football competency before anything happens.
Don’t worry. Clemson and FSU are damaged brands. Not saying I believe the rumor

Reaction Score
The only way the ACC considers taking UCONN now is because they believe there are pending departures and UCONN provides the best value to fill vacancies. I have to believe that some of the programs in the ACC are losing their collective minds watching what's going on with the SEC and BiG, but if the GOR has them unequivocally locked in, then no one is leaving and UCONN isn't getting in.

my two cents......

Reaction Score
Taking BC, Miami, VaTech was football related w/ Miami being the big prize. The 2nd phase (L’ville, Syracuse, Pitt) while still having a football focus, was also an attempt to put the screws to BE basketball and bring the league to A10 status. In the interim UConn won a title in the AAC and Nova won hoops titles in the BE. The BE remains a basketball recruiting pain for Pitt, Syracuse, BC and others. If the ACC wants to take another shot at the BE, UConn is the only target. UConn will do more for TV ratings than most of the current ACC. UConn just has to overcome the stigma of a floundering football program and then something could happen.

Reaction Score
The BCU vetoed UConn story is a myth. The obstacles were Clemson and FSU, who thought that they needed to protect their football product.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The BCU vetoed UConn story is a myth. The obstacles were Clemson and FSU, who thought that they needed to protect their football product.
Different expansion moments. When the ACC added Syracuse and Pitt, the initial idea was Syracuse and us but they needed to be quiet and quick about it. BC was one of three schools in the committee and they made it clear they would fight a UConn addition, which would have prevented the opportunities to be quiet and quick.

When Maryland left for the B1G, FSU and Clemson threatened to leave for the B-12 if the conference chose us over Louisville.

Reaction Score
DeFillipo was quoted in the press as stating that BC would protect their territory from UCONN. He was roundly told to STFU for that, but it was out there none the less. He has to be one of the most myopic business people on the planet. BC athletics is completely uncompetitive in the ACC with a basketball program that might be a middle run American East program........might be......

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I am in the camp that we are a potential target for the Big XII and what it is trying to accomplish. Any discussion about UConn/ACC would be borne of the ACC sharing that perception.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I am in the camp that we are a potential target for the Big XII and what it is trying to accomplish. Any discussion about UConn/ACC would be borne of the ACC sharing that perception.
I'm in the camp that believes the B12's door knocking has given the ammo AD David Benedict needed to push the ACC off the fence.

The question is, how many years are we stuck as "junior" members and will a more cost conscience ESPN play ball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He has to be one of the most myopic business people on the planet. BC athletics is completely uncompetitive in the ACC with a basketball program that might be a middle run American East program........might be......
Cuse pulled up the rope as well. Freezing us out left them both on an island. Dopes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom