Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumor- UCONN Pursuing ACC Membership?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cuse pulled up the rope as well. Freezing us out left them both on an island. Dopes.

Would love to see a poll of 'cuse fans asking if UConn to the ACC helps make their program more relevant and exciting would they want UConn in ACC?

Reaction Score
Would love to see a poll of 'cuse fans asking if UConn to the ACC helps make their program more relevant and exciting would they want UConn in ACC?

I imagine many would not be in favor and view UCONN in the conference as a competitive threat. That's understandable, because on a level playing field (conference affiliation) UCONN did just fine against the Orange on both the hardwood and the grid iron. That said, both athletic departments would gain from the regional rivalry and the same can be said for BC.

Reaction Score
The BCU vetoed UConn story is a myth. The obstacles were Clemson and FSU, who thought that they needed to protect their football product.
An article in The Boston Globe on Sunday became the talk of college athletics, as it reported just how brazen and blatant Boston College’s blocking of Connecticut’s move to the Atlantic Coast Conference was.

“We didn’t want them in,” Boston College’s athletic director, Gene DeFilippo, told The Globe. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.”

The most stunning comment in the article was DeFilippo’s public admission that ESPN guided the A.C.C.’s decision to add Syracuse and Pittsburgh last month. “We always keep our television partners close to us,” DeFilippo told The Globe. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV — ESPN — is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.”

DeFilippo’s comments give credence to the popular theory that ESPN encouraged Pittsburgh and Syracuse’s exit from the Big East in the wake of the Big East’s turning down ESPN’s billion dollar television deal in May during an exclusive negotiating window. ESPN has a billion dollar deal with the A.C.C., making that move either savvy business or collusion, depending on one’s perspective.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
An article in The Boston Globe on Sunday became the talk of college athletics, as it reported just how brazen and blatant Boston College’s blocking of Connecticut’s move to the Atlantic Coast Conference was.

“We didn’t want them in,” Boston College’s athletic director, Gene DeFilippo, told The Globe. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.”

The most stunning comment in the article was DeFilippo’s public admission that ESPN guided the A.C.C.’s decision to add Syracuse and Pittsburgh last month. “We always keep our television partners close to us,” DeFilippo told The Globe. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV — ESPN — is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.”

DeFilippo’s comments give credence to the popular theory that ESPN encouraged Pittsburgh and Syracuse’s exit from the Big East in the wake of the Big East’s turning down ESPN’s billion dollar television deal in May during an exclusive negotiating window. ESPN has a billion dollar deal with the A.C.C., making that move either savvy business or collusion, depending on one’s perspective.

Both statements can be true at the same time. BCU could have been adamant about not wanting UConn in. At the same time there needed to be other schools besides BCU who didn't want UConn in the conference. In other words BCU's position isn't what swayed other schools to vote against UConn, rather those schools had their own reasons.

Reaction Score
Just remember all of the angst towards BC, Syracuse and Pitt when the topic of UMass comes up for Big East expansion. I've seen plenty of people on this board say that UConn shouldn't allow UMass in because we should be the flagship New England public school athletically.

Now, I do think the BC, Syracuse and Pitt situation is different. First, we were long time partners. Granted, in sports, your partners are your rivals. But there should have been some loyalty or brotherhood. Second (and more importantly), those three schools made a strategic mistake. They joined a southern conference and should have brought as many northeast "friends" as possible. It was stupid to think that each was strong enough to own an entire region on their own. Same thing happened with UConn in the AAC (but that wasn't our choice). Now none of them have any power to bring in a UConn because they suck and are outnumbered by football southern schools.

I'd be surprised if the ACC ever takes UConn before they, themselves, get pillaged by the B10 or SEC. That being said, @WestHartHusk's theory is the only one that can hold water. If there is an ACC interest now, it would only be because we could be taken off the table. Otherwise, we're just a booty call that can be made at any time without fear of rejection.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just remember all of the angst towards BC, Syracuse and Pitt when the topic of UMass comes up for Big East expansion. I've seen plenty of people on this board say that UConn shouldn't allow UMass in because we should be the flagship New England public school athletically.
When did UMass win 4 Natty's?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can’t get much more vague than that tweet
Oh sure you can. One of the West Virginia guys posted some thing like there’s going to be a meeting in the big 12 and things will be discussed.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL

Again.

and again and again and again. You poor saps. :)
its the great pumpkin charlie brown halloween GIF by Peanuts

CL82

Reaction Score
Both statements can be true at the same time. BCU could have been adamant about not wanting UConn in. At the same time there needed to be other schools besides BCU who didn't want UConn in the conference. In other words BCU's position isn't what swayed other schools to vote against UConn, rather those schools had their own reasons.
Or at least some schools that really didn’t care who they took as long as it resulted in an increase in media payments to them. I think that may be the more accurate characterization.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve never heard anybody say that. Occasionally we get a poster like you that claims someone else has said it, but I’ve never seen it.

Now, I’ve heard people say that UMass doesn’t bring anything to the table, which is accurate. For the most part, though, I think people are aware that if UMass ever decided to invest in its athletic programs, and it was successful, that’s a good thing for UConn.

Reaction Score
I’ve never heard anybody say that. Occasionally we get a poster like you that claims someone else has said it, but I’ve never seen it.

Now, I’ve heard people say that UMass doesn’t bring anything to the table, which is accurate. For the most part, though, I think people are aware that if UMass ever decided to invest in its athletic programs, and it was successful, that’s a good thing for UConn.
UMass just isn’t an exciting addition. It’s like the people pushing St Louis for expansion. There’s just no juice. A10 schools need to do a lot more than be pretty good to get into the Big East. You can clearly see that the league doesn’t want them. They would have been added when UConn was in the American if the league was interested. Now the new TV deal will be coming up. How can St Louis or UMass really put any any money in the pockets of current members? It seems nearly impossible that the additional content is worth much of anything.

Reaction Score
Teams are moving conferences right now so it wouldn't surprise me if UConn was knocking on some doors to see if there is any interest. I could be wrong, but I don't see the ACC adding schools in the near future. All that said, I really can't see the ACC holding together when the GORs expire or if someone successfully challenges them. Some schools would get a lifeline from the Big 10 or SEC, but there might not be room in the Big 12 down the road, the next best option. Could be a tough conference future for schools like Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Pitt, VT,... Would they be proactive?

Reaction Score
UMASS lucked into hiring one of the better basketball coaches in the country last year in Frank Martin. If they were added to the Big East their recruiting prowess would improve significantly, see Houston for an example of what a good coach and a conference upgrade can do for a program.

People continuously regurgitate that "UMASS doesn't move the needle", nonsense! The Big East upgrade would create a huge resurgence of Massachusetts interest in UMASS basketball and that is the real reason UCONN and probably Providence would try to block them but make no mistake about it if the Big East wanted to expand UMASS is the best realistic candidate for that expansion.

Remember expansion is about adding TV sets. UMASS is the state flagship of a state with over 7 Million. You can't find a better candidate.

CL82

Reaction Score
UMASS lucked into hiring one of the better basketball coaches in the country last year in Frank Martin. If they were added to the Big East their recruiting prowess would improve significantly, see Houston for an example of what a good coach and a conference upgrade can do for a program.

People continuously regurgitate that "UMASS doesn't move the needle", nonsense! The Big East upgrade would create a huge resurgence of Massachusetts interest in UMASS basketball and that is the real reason UCONN and probably Providence would try to block them but make no mistake about it if the Big East wanted to expand UMASS is the best realistic candidate for that expansion.
Yeah, I’ve never bought into the argument that teams that don’t show huge fan support, or media ratings will suddenly blossom if you have them join the Big East. I would be in favor of you mass joining the big east, but first they have to show that they do “move the needle.” That means selling out games and getting decent ratings in their televised games. They aren’t doing that.

Reaction Score
I would be in favor of you mass joining the big east, but first they have to show that they do “move the needle.” That means selling out games and getting decent ratings in their televised games. They aren’t doing that.

Frank Martin is a terrific coach, if he stays there, he will turn them around, so be prepared to change your mind.

It's too bad Gtown didn't pounce on Martin when he became available, he would have been the perfect hire for them.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Frank Martin is a terrific coach, if he stays there, he will turn them around, so be prepared to change your mind.

It's too bad Gtown didn't pounce on Martin when he became available, he would have been the perfect hire for them.
You should convince UMass fans to care before bothering us. They are averaging like 3500 fans per game this year, and haven't been over 50% capacity since 2013.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is amazing that virtually every P5 schools has a respectable business program, yet they have all managed realignment absolutely brutally from a competitive strategy standpoint. Take the ACC for example. They are clearly the #4 conference with the #5 conference imploding in front of our eyes, yet the ACC is not doing a thing to protect themselves. Instead they are simply waiting their turn to implode.

CL82

Reaction Score

I’d be glad to see it happen.

Reaction Score

Remember expansion is about adding TV sets. UMASS is the state flagship of a state with over 7 Million. You can't find a better candidate.
Except that half of that 7 million population is within I-495 and doesn't even know how to spell Amherst much less care about a mediocre basketball program located there.

Reaction Score
Teams are moving conferences right now so it wouldn't surprise me if UConn was knocking on some doors to see if there is any interest. I could be wrong, but I don't see the ACC adding schools in the near future. All that said, I really can't see the ACC holding together when the GORs expire or if someone successfully challenges them. Some schools would get a lifeline from the Big 10 or SEC, but there might not be room in the Big 12 down the road, the next best option. Could be a tough conference future for schools like Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Pitt, VT,... Would they be proactive?
The big thing is votes. Who would vote to expand right now and who wouldn’t? Clemson and FSU would object. UNC, UVA, Miami and Georgia Tech might object. All others would be wise to expand. It would be tough getting the votes.
It is amazing that virtually every P5 schools has a respectable business program, yet they have all managed realignment absolutely brutally from a competitive strategy standpoint. Take the ACC for example. They are clearly the #4 conference with the #5 conference imploding in front of our eyes, yet the ACC is not doing a thing to protect themselves. Instead they are simply waiting their turn to implode.
What do you suggest? Serious question.

Reaction Score

Expansion is not about TV sets anymore, it is about brands. Why? Your conference has to be ready for streaming and the number of TV sets in your state will not matter but the number of fans willing to subscribe to view your games will.

Unfortunately, UMass does not register at all in the Boston area. Then again, no college team registers in the Boston area.

On a side note, UConn is closer to Boston and an easier drive than Amherst.

Reaction Score
The BCU vetoed UConn story is a myth. The obstacles were Clemson and FSU, who thought that they needed to protect their football product.
Report: BC blocked UConn from ACC

Boston College athletics director Gene DeFilippo told the Globe that the school opposed the inclusion of UConn.

"We didn't want them in,'' he told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

Boston College argued that Pittsburgh would be a better fit, and Pitt would eventually accept the ACC's invitation to join that conference.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking in terms of "Brands." Right now programs like Marquette, Creighton, Xavier are on the upswing. Has-beens like syracuse, pitt, l-ville are in the gutter. The Big East brand has long coattails. The ACC? It's a basketball conference which is killing basketball programs. It is burnt toast.

CL82

Reaction Score
The big thing is votes. Who would vote to expand right now and who wouldn’t? Clemson and FSU would object. UNC, UVA, Miami and Georgia Tech might object. All others would be wise to expand. It would be tough getting the votes.

What do you suggest? Serious question.
If our addition would add material revenue on a per school basis, we’re in if not, we’re out. Basically it is ESPN’s decision since they are the ACC’s media partner.

Reaction Score
If our addition would add material revenue on a per school basis, we’re in if not, we’re out. Basically it is ESPN’s decision since they are the ACC’s media partner.
I'm wondering if this is where the ACC Network comes into play. Remember, ESPN thought they had women's basketball for ESPN+ as part of the AAC contract.

From wikipedia, "Each ACC school constructed production facilities so they can contribute programming to the channel".

Last year, UConn started UConn +. From the press release:

11/1/2022 7:30:00 AM

UNIVERSITY TO LAUNCH UCONN+ STREAMING DIGITAL NETWORK
A FIRST-OF-ITS-KIND IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS TO COMBINE LIVE AND ORIGINAL CONTENT, UCONN+ WILL PROVIDE FANS 24/7 ACCESS TO FEATURED CONTENT, LIVE EVENTS AND INSTITUTIONAL CONTENT IN COLLABORATION WITH LEARFIELD STUDIOS AND SIDEARM SPORTS

UConn is fully entering the cord-cutting era of live and on-demand digital video.

Coming later this month, fans and followers of UConn Athletics will have a new avenue for absorbing all things Huskies and the University of Connecticut: UConn+. The university's own sports-centric streaming platform will surface original and exclusive content to fans such as features, live events, profiles, coaches' shows, highlights and other on-demand content.

UConn+ will be widely available on streaming services such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Roku, and accessible via the UConn mobile app and uconnhuskies.com.UConn Huskies

The new service, which will be a first-of-its-kind in college athletics to combine live and original content, is expected to launch in late November with additional features being rolled out after its release. Until that time, streaming content will continue to be available on uconnhuskies.com.

"UConn+ has the potential to elevate the visibility of UConn Athletics, and I'm grateful for our overarching relationship with LEARFIELD, in which its LEARFIELD Studios and SIDEARM Sports businesses can help us further expand our reach and promote the excellence of our student-athletes, coaches, and the University of Connecticut," said David Benedict, Director of Athletics. "UConn already boasts championship programs and provides top-quality experiences in state-of-the-art venues for fans and student-athletes alike. With UConn+, we're adding the capability to engage UConn Nation with exclusive feature content and live sports like never before. This platform will only strengthen our global brand and create more opportunities for success."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom