Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
R.I.P. George Harrison, 16 years ago today. Five of his:
Blow Away
What is Life
I Want to Tell You
Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)
For You Blue

I'm sure you know he had one of the first and weirdest rock videos, directed by Eric Idle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm sure you know he had one of the first and weirdest rock videos, directed by Eric Idle.

Yep. Loved that tune. Have a vivid recollection of 11-year old me jamming to it on the clock radio in my bedroom.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Five terrific songs
Love Bulbs, didn't know its name
Huge Veedon Fleece fan

Thanks to Spotify
I'll playlist some from this thread
Suggest some more Van?
Well if you're a huge Veedon Fleece fan I'm probably not going to be able to suggest much that you don't know, because that album is among the lesser-known and appreciated Van albums. I think of it as of a piece with Hard Nose the Highway (released the prior year), so if you don't know that, get it. Title track alone is worth it, with one of my favorite Van opening lines ever:

Hey kids dig the first takes
Ain't that some inspiration
When Sinatra sings against Nelson Riddle strings
Then takes a vacation

I'm mostly an album guy when it comes to Van, and No Guru, No Method, No Teacher is probably my favorite of his lesser-known albums. "In the Garden," from which the album title is drawn, is among my favorite Van tunes of all time, but the whole album is a great listen. Poetic Champions Compose, from that same vintage, is another gem of an album imo, including "Alan Watts Blues," which I listed upthread, and also 'Queen of the Slipstream," "Someone Like You," "Give Me My Rapture" and his unofficial theme song, "Did Ye Get Healed?," to which he frequently enters or exits his sets.

And Into the Music is one that I am always shocked more people don't know. Chock full of great, great songs with good energy.

I own literally every album except the one that was just released this week (I've sampled it and am still on the fence because I'm not crazy about what I've heard--not big on the crooner cover stuff from either him or Dylan, two of my top five all-time artists). I enjoy listening to every single one of them.

ETA: Also check out "Listen to the Lion," "Who Drove the Red Sports Car," "T.B. Sheets," "John Henry" and the live version of "See Me Through/Soldier of Fortune/Thank You Falentinme Be Mice Elf Again" off A Night in San Fransisco.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Do you listen to Elliott Smith? Not classic rock, but if you like Neil Young then you may enjoy his music

Reaction Score
Another lurker chimes in.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Ballad of Curtis Loew
Rolling Stones - Let Me Go
Derek and the Dominoes - Have you Ever Loved a Woman
Jethro Tull - Wind-up
Neil Young - One of These Days
Allman Brothers - Change My Way of Living
Bruce Springsteen - When You Need Me

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Rainmakers - Downstream (Pretty much anything by them though)
Bob Walkenhorst sounds exactly like Web Wilder. In a good way.

Reaction Score
Five somewhat "under the radar" ones;

Althea-Grateful Dead
*Strangest Thing-The War on Drugs
Wherever you are-Asia
Soul Drifter-Lindsey Buckingham
Turn it on again-Genesis

*Check out this video on Youtube; Strangest Thing-Live on KEXP

and Five Instrumentals;

The Gold Bug-Alan Parsons Project
The Beautiful Game-Acoustic Alchemy
Caravan of Dreams-Peter White
European Comfort-Gota
Lionheart-Emancipator

Reaction Score
Whizz Kid - Mott The Hoople
Strange Kind of Woman - Deep Purple
Hard Drivin' Man - J Geils
Nowhere To Run - Ten Years After
Nantucket Sleighride - Mountain

Interesting choice of Mountain with West and Pappilardi. Do you know "Theme from an Imaginary Western" ?

Reaction Score
Warren Zevon - Mohammeds Radio
Rolling Stones - Torn and Frayed
Allman Brothers - Back Where it all Begins
Abba - Does your mother know
Van Morrison - St. Dominics Preview
Neil Diamond - Holly Holy
Paul Simon - Gone at Last
Max Creek - Emotional Railroad
St Dominic’s Preview is one of my favorite albums.

Reaction Score
Interesting choice of Mountain with West and Pappilardi. Do you know "Theme from an Imaginary Western" ?

A Jack Bruce gem good call. Excellent Mountain unknown he wrote just after Cream fell apart. Thanks for the reminder will now find it and listen to it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well if you're a huge Veedon Fleece fan I'm probably not going to be able to suggest much that you don't know, because that album is among the lesser-known and appreciated Van albums. I think of it as of a piece with Hard Nose the Highway (released the prior year), so if you don't know that, get it. Title track alone is worth it, with one of my favorite Van opening lines ever:

Hey kids dig the first takes
Ain't that some inspiration
When Sinatra sings against Nelson Riddle strings
Then takes a vacation

I'm mostly an album guy when it comes to Van, and No Guru, No Method, No Teacher is probably my favorite of his lesser-known albums. "In the Garden," from which the album title is drawn, is among my favorite Van tunes of all time, but the whole album is a great listen. Poetic Champions Compose, from that same vintage, is another gem of an album imo, including "Alan Watts Blues," which I listed upthread, and also 'Queen of the Slipstream," "Someone Like You," "Give Me My Rapture" and his unofficial theme song, "Did Ye Get Healed?," to which he frequently enters or exits his sets.

And Into the Music is one that I am always shocked more people don't know. Chock full of great, great songs with good energy.

I own literally every album except the one that was just released this week (I've sampled it and am still on the fence because I'm not crazy about what I've heard--not big on the crooner cover stuff from either him or Dylan, two of my top five all-time artists). I enjoy listening to every single one of them.

ETA: Also check out "Listen to the Lion," "Who Drove the Red Sports Car," "T.B. Sheets," "John Henry" and the live version of "See Me Through/Soldier of Fortune/Thank You Falentinme Be Mice Elf Again" off A Night in San Fransisco.
On Monday & Tuesday, WPKN was devoted to single artist programming, Zappa and the Beatles respectively, so I haven't listened to Van until today:

Common One - not really heard since when it was released - accompanied me on a neighborhood walk. After some post-Syracuse Boneyard, it was (and is) very appropriate to hear, roughly, "It ain't why. It ain't why. It ain't why why why, why why why, why why why. It just is . . . "

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher and/or Poetic Champion Compose probably got a single cursory library listen previously. They came out when my daughter was a baby/toddler, and I wasn't growing my music collection. I liked both very much, so thank you.

I'm listening now to Hard Nose the Highway, which in its day did not measure up to its handful of predecessors, and quickly yielded to Too Late to Stop Now & Veedon Fleece, the latter coming across as a long-awaited successor to Astral Weeks. Enjoying Hard Nose enough, but still find it the weakest of the early 70's albums. Then again, the others comprise a pretty extraordinary string. And , yes, Purple Heather.

The Authorized Bang Sessions intrigues me after listening to a couple tracks. Years ago the Bang version of Madame George gave me a wonderful 'long lost' recording' experience. I'm overall very excited by how much is available on Spotify, and will listen to a bunch more, particularly the expanded Moondance and Too Late to Stop Now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On Monday & Tuesday, WPKN was devoted to single artist programming, Zappa and the Beatles respectively, so I haven't listened to Van until today:

Common One - not really heard since when it was released - accompanied me on a neighborhood walk. After some post-Syracuse Boneyard, it was (and is) very appropriate to hear, roughly, "It ain't why. It ain't why. It ain't why why why, why why why, why why why. It just is . . . "

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher and/or Poetic Champion Compose probably got a single cursory library listen previously. They came out when my daughter was a baby/toddler, and I wasn't growing my music collection. I liked both very much, so thank you.

I'm listening now to Hard Nose the Highway, which in its day did not measure up to its handful of predecessors, and quickly yielded to Too Late to Stop Now & Veedon Fleece, the latter coming across as a long-awaited successor to Astral Weeks. Enjoying Hard Nose enough, but still find it the weakest of the early 70's albums. Then again, the others comprise a pretty extraordinary string. And , yes, Purple Heather.

The Authorized Bang Sessions intrigues me after listening to a couple tracks. Years ago the Bang version of Madame George gave me a wonderful 'long lost' recording' experience. I'm overall very excited by how much is available on Spotify, and will listen to a bunch more, particularly the expanded Moondance and Too Late to Stop Now.
The expanded Too Late To Stop Now is tremendous. Peak live Van imo; the Caledonia Soul Orchestra he had for those shows was the perfect match for his energy. The DVD is great too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here's a nice "lost masterpiece" that I just discovered and think many here would like:

The Turning Tide by P.P. Arnold. Recorded almost 50 years ago but never released until last October. She is a great soul singer who was with Ike and Tina, left to start her own career with the encouragement of Mick Jagger, and had this great album worth of material, produced by Barry Gibb and backed by the likes of Eric Clapton and Delaney & Bonnie, but never released. Some great covers like Traffic's "Medicated Goo," Blood, Sweat & Tears' "Spinning Wheel" and Van's "Brand New Day."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Here's a nice "lost masterpiece" that I just discovered and think many here would like:

The Turning Tide by P.P. Arnold. Recorded almost 50 years ago but never released until last October. She is a great soul singer who was with Ike and Tina, left to start her own career with the encouragement of Mick Jagger, and had this great album worth of material, produced by Barry Gibb and backed by the likes of Eric Clapton and Delaney & Bonnie, but never released. Some great covers like Traffic's "Medicated Goo," Blood, Sweat & Tears' "Spinning Wheel" and Van's "Brand New Day."
Found and saved it for Spotify playback.

With the resuscitation of this thread, I'll note that I liked "Long Strange Trip" on Amazon Prime Video, and add two songs:

Slipped, Tripped & Fell in Love - Ann Peebles
Girls Talk - Dave Edmunds (an out-of-the-blue joy from my past to close the opening episode of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, an Amazon Original Video)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Hot Smoke and Sassafras - The Bubble Puppy
Journey to the Center of Your Mind - The Amboy Dukes
Pictures of Matchstick Men - The Status Quo
Roundabout - Yes
The Warrior - Scandal, with Patty Smyth (John McEnroe's wife)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My list will follow but what I noticed:

1) no women! Not a Janis or a Bonnie or Indigo. Girls or anyone except the last minute appearance of P.P. Arnold who is virtually unknown.

2) The lack of anything Beatles. Guess it is hard for them to have an under the radar song.

For now, I'll leave two albums by very popular artists that most aren't aware of:
Capeman, Paul Simon's short-lived Broadway musical soundtrack. Fifties music/ Latin sounds

Secret Life of Plants, Stevie Wonder's double-album movie soundtrack for a movie that was never released. Mostly instrumental.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A Jack Bruce gem good call. Excellent Mountain unknown he wrote just after Cream fell apart. Thanks for the reminder will now find it and listen to it.

Unknown? You silly kids. That used to be on medium-heavy rotation on WNEW-FM back in the day of free-form DJs. In the early 70s, West was considered on the second tier right below Hendrix & Clapton. I found him kinda sloppy, but the man did have fat fingers and could bend notes like nobody's business.

Anyway, my five, all of which can be bent into a summation of my feelings about the decline of our once-vaunted program:

Kinks: Waterloo Sunset (was a hit about everywhere except the USA)
Steve Forbert: It Isn't Gonna Be That Way
Cream: Swlabr
ELO: Boy Blue/Laredo Tornado (but really all of side one)
Wizzard: See My Baby Jive (also a hit worldwide except the USA)

Reaction Score
I need some music to cheer my weary soul. How about 5 songs that might be under the radar that you really like. I'll start. And yes I do realize that these songs might not be thought of as under the radar.
Santana - Persuasion
Elvis Costello - (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Steely Dan - Charlie Freak
Neil Young - Powderfinger
Joe Walsh - Funk #49
wow youre old asf! lol jk

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
wow youre old asf! lol jk
55 and that ain't no jive. I think my use of the word jive reveals my age bracket. I like a lot of newer music but I'm not into much rap or hip hop and definitely no EDM. Here are some newer bands I like
Alabame Shakes
Alt J
Avett Brothers
Dawes
Florence and the Machine
George Ezra
Lumineers
Michael Kiwanuka
The Orwells (from my hometown) I coached the lead singer, Mario Cuomo, in basketball for a couple of years
Hopefully this gives me some young cred. Although I am going to see 83 year old Buddy Guy perform this weekend.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just found this thread.

Derek and the Dominoes: Bell Bottom Blues
Bind Faith (not Traffic): Can't Find My Way Home
Kinks: Celluloid Heroes
Jimmy Cliff: Many Rivers to Cross....but also most of his stuff
Waterboys: Fisherman's Blues

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same singer, wrong band: that's a Blind Faith song--but yes, a great one.

Oh crap. Brain fart. I know that. I have the album. Love that song. All on my list were hits of a sort, but don't get much play on classic rock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom