Rock Songs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rock Songs

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh crap. Brain fart. I know that. I have the album. Love that song. All on my list were hits of a sort, but don't get much play on classic rock.
If you have Sirius/XM, check out Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind and the Loft (the Loft is very unfortunately bumped from its satellite slot through January for the mollyfarking Eagles channel and is only available on-line or though the app until then).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you have Sirius/XM, check out Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind and the Loft (the Loft is very unfortunately bumped from its satellite slot through January for the mollyfarking Eagles channel and is only available on-line or though the app until then).

I'm on two of the three. May give Deep Tracks and the Loft a chance. I actually like The Bridge and 70s station, along with Margaritaville too. Even trying No Shoes Radio.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm on two of the three. May give Deep Tracks and the Loft a chance. I actually like The Bridge and 70s station, along with Margaritaville too. Even trying No Shoes Radio.
The Loft is by far my favorite and the most eclectic; it's basically free-form and dependent solely on the whims of the DJs, who are among the best in the business imo. Deep Tracks plays a lot more of the classic album rock that I love than either Classic Rewind or Classic Vinyl, both of which tend to focus more on the hits.

I basically follow Meg Griffin around the dial. She does the morning show on Deep Tracks and the afternoon show on the Loft. She also does occasional spots on Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl and even the Springsteen and Petty channels.

Speaking of which, the Petty channel and Little Steven's Underground Garage are both excellent, and both among my six presets on my first screen.

Pleasant surprise for me has been Outlaw Country, which plays more Americana/Alt Country than anything else.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just found this thread.

Derek and the Dominoes: Bell Bottom Blues
Bind Faith (not Traffic): Can't Find My Way Home
Kinks: Celluloid Heroes
Jimmy Cliff: Many Rivers to Cross....but also most of his stuff
Waterboys: Fisherman's Blues

I should've met you back in the late 80s and we could've been mixtape buddies...

I'm not gonna bet the house on it, but I'm going to guess you were on hand at Toad's for World Party's first US tour.

Reaction Score
Since we are talking about Sirius, Howard Stern has really become an incredible interviewer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you have Sirius/XM, check out Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind and the Loft ...

I've been working The Spectrum into my rotation recently attempting to get some new rock into my life. I'm liking The War on Drugs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been working The Spectrum into my rotation recently attempting to get some new rock into my life. I'm liking The War on Drugs.
I tried the Spectrum for a while but there was too much pop for me. My wife and daughters love it though.

I like the War on Drugs, too; I hear them a lot on the Loft, which is where I hear most of the new music I like.

Speaking of which, heard this one on there last night and was immediately captivated--even more so after watching the video:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Yeah, when my daughter started getting into "alternative", I started listening to that the the Alt channel a little bit. There is a new one called PopRocks which plays pop/rock of the last 10 years or so. Mostly stuff I missed, and some more current things. I like the Lumineers and Of Monsters and Men, along with a few others.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, when my daughter started getting into "alternative", I started listening to that the the Alt channel a little bit. There is a new one called PopRocks which plays pop/rock of the last 10 years or so. Mostly stuff I missed, and some more current things. I like the Lumineers and Of Monsters and Men, along with a few others.
Ha, I added Alt Nation to my second screen of presets last year for the same reason. She turned me on to Cage the Elephant and I hear them a lot on there. The National, too, I think.

I just heard an ad for PopRocks the other day and was intrigued. Will give it a listen in the car while I struggle to get by until February without the Loft in the air.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I should've met you back in the late 80s and we could've been mixtape buddies...

I'm not gonna bet the house on it, but I'm going to guess you were on hand at Toad's for World Party's first US tour.

I wasn't a New Haven guy, living in Simsbury then and most of my friends were in Windsor. Only made it down to Toads a handful of times. One horrible mistake my friends and I made was when two of our friends from closer to NH called us and asked us to meet them at Toads one night, and we all passed. That was the night the Rolling Stones showed up unbilled to do their warm up show for the upcoming tour. Oops. You don't get those chances back.

We did go to all the NRBQ Al Anderson birthday shows every year at the Windsor Ramada. What a great band, and so good live.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ha, I added Alt Nation to my second screen of presets last year for the same reason. She turned me on to Cage the Elephant and I hear them a lot on there. The National, too, I think.

I just heard an ad for PopRocks the other day and was intrigued. Will give it a listen in the car while I struggle to get by until February without the Loft in the air.

And I'll add the Loft when it comes back and check out Meg Griffin. I miss real DJs. My wife's family was in the record wholesale business and they constantly bemoan the fact that DJs have been mostly replaced by computers.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That was the night the Rolling Stones showed up unbilled to do their warm up show for the upcoming tour. Oops. You don't get those chances back.

was there.

The better show was Dylan 6 months later.

4.5 hours 52 songs. Taking requests. Doors shut at closing and drinks taken away so he could do another set. (his 4th)

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And I'll add the Loft when it comes back and check out Meg Griffin. I miss real DJs. My wife's family was in the record wholesale business and they constantly bemoan the fact that DJs have been mostly replaced by computers.
Meg also lives up your way, a little north of you I believe; she is always talking about shows of interest in the area, so she would be a good source of that, too.

I saw you mention NRBQ. She is a huge fan, as are a few others on the Loft, and they are played daily there.

BTW, the Q is still going very strong with Terry. I saw them last year and they were great. Like really great. I am now planning to see them again in March at FTC in Fairfield. Keep an eye out for them up your way if you are still a fan. They also have a spin-off of sorts called the Flat Five, which I have also come to love.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Bob Marley and the Wailers - "Turn Your Light Down Low"
Phantom, Rocker and Slick - "Men Without Shame"
NRBQ - "Over Your Head"
John Hiatt - "Master of Disaster"
Rancid (just discovered these guys) - "Time Bomb"

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

I saw World Party in 2016. Been a fan since the late 80's. Private Revolution is fantastic and Goodbye Jumbo just a notch below. I courted my wife to those albums. I get back to CT once a year and it bums me out the the in state "rock" stations are a music wasteland. We are lucky in Chicago to have one of the best (although CBS bought them and made it a little worse). WXRT, check it out if you get a chance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For CT people, Tedeschi Trucks Band just announced that they are doing their Wheels of Soul Tour in Hartford (Xfinity) instead of Simsbury this summer (July 6); and the other bands this year will be the Drive-By Truckers and Marcus King Band, two excellent additions imo:

Wheels of Soul Tour 2018

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For CT people, Tedeschi Trucks Band just announced that they are doing their Wheels of Soul Tour in Hartford (Xfinity) instead of Simsbury this summer (July 6); and the other bands this year will be the Drive-By Truckers and Marcus King Band, two excellent additions imo:

Wheels of Soul Tour 2018

I've never seen them and don't know their stuff, but from everything I've heard I should give them a shot. They are coming to Mansfield. Didn't know they were big enough for those venues.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've never seen them and don't know their stuff, but from everything I've heard I should give them a shot. They are coming to Mansfield. Didn't know they were big enough for those venues.
I'm a big fan. Been seeing both Duane Derek and Susan since before they knew each other, and Duane Derekis my favorite living guitarist. I was a bit bummed when they first formed the band because it seemed that Duane Derek was less likely to dig deep and do extended jams with Susan on the stage, but they have really grown together as musicians and formed a band that gels really well. One of my favorite live acts in recent years.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan. Been seeing both Duane and Susan since before they knew each other, and Duane is my favorite living guitarist. I was a bit bummed when they first formed the band because it seemed that Duane was less likely to dig deep and do extended jams with Susan on the stage, but they have really grown together as musicians and formed a band that gels really well. One of my favorite live acts in recent years.

Um...do you mean Derek? Duane being dead and all?
This is a nice crossover with my prior post.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Um...do you mean Derek? Duane being dead and all?
This is a nice crossover with my prior post.

Ha! That was some slip! Yes, of course. I always think of Duane because Derek seems to channel him (and Duane and Jerry are my favorite non-living guitarists...).

Reaction Score
Bob Marley and the Wailers - "Turn Your Light Down Low"
Phantom, Rocker and Slick - "Men Without Shame"
NRBQ - "Over Your Head"
John Hiatt - "Master of Disaster"
Rancid (just discovered these guys) - "Time Bomb"
If you like pop punk that whole Out come the wolves album by rancid is great workout music. I’ll also recommend the ‘59 sound by the Gaslight Anthem. Many have mention Lucinda Williams in other threads but if anyone hasn’t heard her Carwheels on a Gravel Road album you’re missing some great songs.

Rock is not in a great place right now but some trying to carry the torch, Tyler Bryant, The Struts, Greta Van Fleet. Please add more.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ha! That was some slip! Yes, of course. I always think of Duane because Derek seems to channel him (and Duane and Jerry are my favorite non-living guitarists...).
Do you mistakenly say John Mayer now instead of Jerry? :)

Reaction Score
Oh that's exactly what he says.

And I truly believe he's seeing his grandma, even if no one else was.

(I am much younger that 56, trick question!)

He was talking about / joking with Noel Redding, his bass player.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you like pop punk that whole Out come the wolves album by rancid is great workout music. I’ll also recommend the ‘59 sound by the Gaslight Anthem. Many have mention Lucinda Williams in other threads but if anyone hasn’t heard her Carwheels on a Gravel Road album you’re missing some great songs.

Rock is not in a great place right now but some trying to carry the torch, Tyler Bryant, The Struts, Greta Van Fleet. Please add more.
Thanks a lot. I am a Williams sycophant.

I will check out The Gaslight Anthem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom