RJ Cole to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Look no more. Johnnie "Time" Selvie...our greatest transfer ever! ;)
Sarcasm acknowledged, but Selvie arrived in Storrs after wrapping up eligibility and a degree from some Iowa junior college. Transfer? Aleksinas, was he great or just an in-state, OK overrated Kentucky transfer?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice pickup ... was very underrated coming out of HS. Glad things broke our way.

Reaction Score
Does Ed Nelson getting a ring while sitting out the season as a transfer count? By the end of 2006 we were better off with freshman Jeff Adrien playing over him.
Purvis also got a ring as he was part of the 2013-14 team
Purvis had a great career here.
His injury his sophomore year was big
Recall both our embarrassing losses that year were with him and RB both injured. That team still won 20 games.
He was a key player on the 25 win 2016 team.
His slow start in his PG year was attributed to his mourning the death of his adopted brother.
He was a great athlete who could shoot with limited ball skills who worked his butt off and bleed blue.
Complimented Adams well
Hands down the best transfer we ever had.

Reaction Score
Sarcasm acknowledged, but Selvie arrived in Storrs after wrapping up eligibility and a degree from some Iowa junior college. Transfer? Gminski, was he great or just an in-state, OK overrated Kentucky transfer?
Think you mean Aleksinas?

Reaction Score
He has played 2 years of college ball and is still 19 years old. He is 2 months older than Akok. He sill has some maturing to do. Could be a special player.

That's an important point.

With sit-1, play-2's, there's a risk that they might not want to stay beyond 4 years in college once they have their degree, and will only end up playing for 1 year before leaving. (Geno got burned by this with Azura Stevens.)

Cole being young for his class makes it more likely he'd be willing to stick around for both of those years.

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of change of direction, change of pace, step backs, close outs, or cutting? Perhaps not.

Let's just ignore the fact that Harden basically made a career out of decelerating into his stepback 3's.

Hell, one of the most famous plays in our program history (Kemba vs. Pitt) was textbook deceleration on a basketball court.

You could also categorize it as body control.

Reaction Score
I see Bazz in him. Gets his shot off coming down the court and popping off the stop, off the use of a quick side dribble, off the pass he's just a confident shooter even when only given small space.

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of change of direction, change of pace, step backs, close outs, or cutting? Perhaps not.

I have certainly heard of those things. Do I think it's funny to call someone a "deceleration savant" and contend that deceleration is the most important trait in a basketball player? I do. You probably would too, if you didn't take yourself so seriously.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have certainly heard of those things. Do I think it's funny to call someone a "deceleration savant" and contend that deceleration is the most important trait in a basketball player? I do. You probably would too, if you didn't take yourself so seriously.
I have never heard a basketball play by play dude ever use the word decelerate when calling a game. Hmm.

Is it really a skill?

Reaction Score
I have never heard a basketball play by play dude ever use the word decelerate when calling a game. Hmm.

Is it really a skill?

"Pull-up", "stepback", "crossover".

You don't hear it described explicitly, but it feeds into so many different basketball skills.

Reaction Score

Is it really a skill?

It's not a skill--it's an athletic trait.

Luka Doncic is another guy that decelerates really well. It's probably more noticeable with him because he's not particularly athletic vertically.

Sal has worked with our players on learning how to stop quickly on balance since he's been here.

First things that come up when I search it. I've read some studies on it, but I'm at work so I won't be able to find them without taking more time than I care to. You've probably heard it described in terms of eccentric or force reduction movements more than deceleration

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Is it really a skill?

It's been used in basically every article written about Harden this season in an effort to explain why a guy who looks sort of chubby and out of shape is so dominant, so it was only a matter of time before someone on the Boneyard started throwing it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom