RJ Cole to UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think team will struggle more next year than this year - no Jalen and a bunch of new freshman learning and getting experience. 20-21 they just lose Vitale. Meanwhile these new guys will all have experience and another experienced guy joins them. I think 20-21 will be our year to at least make the tourney.

We don’t know how it will play out. What if akok is really really good? What if Gilbert plays like an all American? What if Sid and Polley make a huge jump? Then the team could be a top 3 in the conference and a clear tournament team.

Or guys can underachieve, new guys could struggle and/or get injured and we could have a disappointing year.

The way I’m looking at it is that we will be a better team than last season even if it’s just from having better luck. Our luck has sucked lately. Last season we lost Jalen and alterique due to injuries, the refs hated Hurley for most of the year, and lost on an extremely difficult buzzer beater to Wichita State. We would have probably had 20 wins if that didn’t happen and we would be a little more optimistic.

Reaction Score
Predictions in the past for us being good have simply not come close so I don’t expect. Every year we hear the what if’s. What if Brimah gains 25 pounds and becomes a force down low? What if Jalen becomes a knock down 3 point shooter? Everyone is putting on gads of muscle and becoming great shooters over the summer, right? I think we had OK players last year, but I’m praying that the new recruited talent is a cut above. And we still desperately need a backup to Carlton who I’m really high on like yesterday. Glad for next year’s transfer but the center roster spot is the big challenge.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Per his Uncle, UConn was his favorite team growing up!

The way he is holding that trophy like a baby is crazy. Unless it's photo-shopped.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like it...I like it a lot !
I’ve only seen highlights of him and read reports but I like his aggressiveness and tenacity on both sides of the ball.
I think he will come in with a players attitude of proving that he belongs with the big boys. It should make for some intensive practices which , as others have said, will make everyone else better.
I can wait a year to find out.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It must be good if 25 or so people 'like' it, but for a member of the over the hill generation,
Uh ohhhs with eye emoji's means what?

It means "I can't believe that bastard Hurley recruited over me, I'm going to transfer to Cuse."

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Agree. I’d also ask them to watch Boat and Napier break down a ton of teams with two super pesky defenders and penetration ability on two sides of the offensive floor.

The defensive side can’t be stressed enough. That whole ship run was built on breaking down opposing guard play. When the opposing team can’t get a switch to dominate the weaker guard you can seize up the offense for stretches.

Out curiosity, I can’t think of the best transfer we’ve had. We should probably set the expectation ceiling somewhere around the best we’ve had and expect somewhere between the mean and the ceiling?

Look no more. Johnnie "Time" Selvie...our greatest transfer ever!
;)

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Sounds like Hurley all in on a 2 year plan. Next year I bet we will see the freshman get a lot of minutes. Then we get an experienced team returning, the extra scholarship and Cole for 20-21.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

There you have it people. UConn to the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Looks like a lot of dribbling and not much moving the ball.

Reaction Score
Not trying to jump on your post at all but we need to get this "scared about playing time" narrative out of our heads. Memphis cleared out their roster to make room for 8 new studs that will all be fighting for playing time.

We've been bad the last few years because we haven't had nearly enough good players and there is no fight for playing time. UConn before the last few years and every great program brings in as much talent as possible and players fight for playing time, it makes everyone better.
Oh yeah stack the 1 thru 3 slots. That is how this program wins.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% with that concept. Just know a lot of ppl have been super high on him, curious how the staff would navigate that.

Any insight on how this last slot is filled? One of the 3 star C, Ntambwe, or do you think they go BPA and potentially still pursue Langford/Bones?
I like the idea of Ntambwe. Whaley backing us up down low scares me and already being down a scholarship and having 2 players sit out a year is far from ideal but having two really good players sitting out learning the system could pay dividends the following season. This type of thing has been huge for Nova. I don't want any more projects.

Trust the staff.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of Ntambwe. Whaley backing us up down low scares me and already being down a scholarship and having 2 players sit out a year is far from ideal but having two really good players sitting out learning the system could pay dividends the following season. This type of thing has been huge for Nova. I don't want any more projects.

Trust the staff.

I reluctantly agree. No more projects. Impact players no matter what it takes. If 2019-2020 needs to be the sacrificial lamb, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom