RJ Cole to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does this mean no Rick Issanza or Bones?

Bones probably not. We're stacked at guard now for 2020: 'Rique (hopefully), Gaffney, Cole, Bouknight, BAdams

It seems as though the staff has backed off Issanza. Not much word from insiders after the official.

Reaction Score
Does this mean no Rick Issanza or Bones?

No...we should still have one scholarship to use if we need to. I'd still take him but I'd have to imagine there's less of a chance we get Bones now that we have Cole...even though he can't play this year. While we need both, a backup big is probably much more important than a backup G at this time. REALLY need to hope AG can stay healthy for a full year though and that Gaffney can develop PG skills quickly. Could've used Jaylin Hunter at this point...

Reaction Score
Reminds me of a smaller James Harden. Not a top tier athlete but can get his shot off for him and others. Very crafty dribbler who finds a way to get to certain parts of the floor to score or pass. Also, is a lefty. Like the addition but wish we added him for this year. Either way welcome RJ to UCONN. Can't wait to see you flourish other DH's system.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Reminds me of a smaller James Harden. Not a top tier athlete but can get his shot off for him and others. Very crafty dribbler who finds a way to get to certain parts of the floor to score or pass. Also, is a lefty. Like the addition but wish we added him for this year. Either way welcome RJ to UCONN. Can't wait to see you flourish other Dan Hurley's system.

Come on guys...why are we doing this?

Reaction Score
I'm just talking on how he plays. He is an average athlete who uses his dribble and strength to get his shots off and passes to others. Obviously he doesn't have the height or talent to be James Harden. He just reminds me in how he plays with similar athletic ability.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
983330d1445245067-picture-of-your-garage-img_6781-version-2.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm just talking on how he plays. He is an average athlete who uses his dribble and strength to get his shots off and passes to others. Obviously he doesn't have the height or talent to be James Harden. He just reminds me in how he plays with similar athletic ability.

James Harden isn't an average athlete.

First of all, he had a 37in vertical in the combine (9th). Was top 10 in everything except for lane agility--lateral speed. He is an athletic savant in his ability to decelerate. He's in the 99th %ile of NBA players if I remember correctly, according to P3. Deceleration is arguably the MOST important trait in a good basketball player. Certainly one of the most important.

Reaction Score

Yeah seriously.

He’s obviously more like a pre-Boston Kyrie or maybe even a Chris Paul.

Reaction Score
The crazy part is this was his freshman year and only the second game of his entire NCAA career. Imagine the skillset now...

No really? This was his freshman year? He averaged 3 more points a game year 1, kids a scorer no doubt.

Reaction Score
He did well against the better competition although they didn't play a lot of great teams. 26 against Gtown

First and foremost is this kid is a natural leader. Watching the Bobby Sr. doc with him you can see he is a born floor general. Hopefully not having to carry the load so much here at UConn it will cut down on turnovers, taking so many shots and low percentage.

That Georgetown game he took 21 shots and had 6 assists and 6 turnovers. Had 11 Turnovers the next game against Florida A&M. Averaged 6 assists a game but 3.2 turnovers as well and only shot 41% from the field.

Him not having to do it all here like at Howard will translate to a big time player here.

Reaction Score
I think he's going to be at least a very good player here and off the court he was a valedictorian and a locker room leader. Hurley also knows him pretty well from his father's team. So to me, when you get a guy you know really well, has little to no downside on the court and is a first rate human off it; you worry less about immediate need and fit and just take that kid into your program.

And one of the most valuable things about him is that he's played in that 'Hurley system' for years now - and will understand Danny, what he's trying to do and already buys in. Having guys like that around the other guys who might not deal well with that high intensity right off the bat will really help to keep them focused on the goal and the end game of what they're all trying to do.

So this to me was a no brainer especially if he's sitting a year. I know a big seems more pressing, but you don't pass guys up like this. Just a good fit both ways.

Reaction Score
We all want a big, but I think we take talent over positions right now. RJ is exactly the type of player we need. Reminds me over a smaller, but quicker Marcus Williams, which id take any day of the week. An NCAA berth is a pretty high expectation this coming year and no big changes that.

Besides, I think we’ll see a lot of Akok in the backup 5 role.

Reaction Score

As Imus use to say, "You can't make this stuff up.........."

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I've found the sub section of basketball fans that don't think James harden is a good athlete very bizarre. Hes so much more athletic than RJ Cole.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The people who are questioning this move have to understand that Gaffney and Bouknight are our guards of the future, not Cole.

Cole is a high end, immediate impact guy who will ease the transition for Gaffney, Adams, etc. Gone are the days where Antwoine Anderson and Tarin Smith are shouldering the veteran responsibility.

Cole signifies an immediate talent and leadership upgrade. He is not going to be nearly the level of focal point he was at Howard, but will still contribute greatly.

Also, doubt we see Gilbert come back for a 5th year, especially with this move, but that's a ways away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom