RJ Cole to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I definitely prefer taking the most talented player available even if it means it’s a sit one transfer. Right now it doesn’t look like any of the guys we are recruiting to play immediately next year would make an impact right away anyways. Getting Ntambwe would be awesome even if it meant only 10 scholarship players available for next year. Keep building this thing.

Reaction Score
Agree. I’d also ask them to watch Boat and Napier break down a ton of teams with two super pesky defenders and penetration ability on two sides of the offensive floor.

The defensive side can’t be stressed enough. That whole ship run was built on breaking down opposing guard play. When the opposing team can’t get a switch to dominate the weaker guard you can seize up the offense for stretches.

Out curiosity, I can’t think of the best transfer we’ve had. We should probably set the expectation ceiling somewhere around the best we’ve had and expect somewhere between the mean and the ceiling?
Come on, best transfer is a no brainer. Maybe not for a casual fan. Ed Nelson hands down.

Reaction Score
Come on, best transfer is a no brainer. Maybe not for a casual fan. Ed Nelson hands down.
Purvis was better than Ed.
Yeah, this isn't hard.
I'm not a huge Purvis fan - guy played hard and gave his all to the program, but he goes in the Brimah "didn't get a lick better in 4 years" category. That always makes it hard for me to really like a guy.
I'm definitely not a huge Ed Nelson guy - his game was ugly.
But Purvis was better and more valuable than Ed, and Ed was SEC rookie of the year, IIRC, so there's no doubt that Ed had the more disappointing career, notwithstanding how the team around him did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does Ed Nelson getting a ring while sitting out the season as a transfer count? By the end of 2006 we were better off with freshman Jeff Adrien playing over him.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of Ntambwe. Whaley backing us up down low scares me and already being down a scholarship and having 2 players sit out a year is far from ideal but having two really good players sitting out learning the system could pay dividends the following season. This type of thing has been huge for Nova. I don't want any more projects.

Trust the staff.
I reluctantly agree. No more projects. Impact players no matter what it takes. If 2019-2020 needs to be the sacrificial lamb, so be it.

I'm with you two. All in for '20. Carlton will be a senior in '20. Easier to recruit a big who can start as a soph + get big exposure minutes as a fresh. A top 100 big will be more than enough of a backup as a freshman. Sweet 16 or bust in '20. We'll have a deep and experienced team.

Even with the glaring weakness at backup center next year, Carlton should be good enough to make the position not a total black hole. He just can't get into foul trouble. Will be imperative.

So assuming for Ntambwe (which I have no idea or inside info of, just like the idea as posited)....
That makes the roster potentially..:

Gilbert (rs 5th jr) / Cole (rs jr)
Bouknight (so) / Gaffney (so) / B Adams (jr)
Ntambwe (rs so) / Wilson (jr)
Akok (so) / Polley (Sn)
Carlton (Sn) / (one of Cliff Omoruyi, Mark Williams, Josh Gray, etc) / Whaley (Sn)
+ 1 more of Cam Thomas, Andre Curbelo, Andre Jackson, DeMarr Langford, Noah Collier, Hassan Diarra, Matt Cross, etc. (Two if you subtract Gilbert if he leaves0

That's the best roster we've had since '14 at least. Maybe '12.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Yeah, this isn't hard.
I'm not a huge Purvis fan - guy played hard and gave his all to the program, but he goes in the Brimah "didn't get a lick better in 4 years" category. That always makes it hard for me to really like a guy.
But Purvis was better and more valuable than Ed, and Ed was SEC rookie of the year, IIRC, so there's no doubt that Ed had the more disappointing career, notwithstanding how the team around him did.

Close. ACC rookie of the year. He transferred from Georgia Tech after his sophomore year and was sitting out when we beat his old team in the title game (and also when they beat us in the pre-season).

Reaction Score
The guy with the NC underachieved more than Rodney. By a lot.
Rodney should have been a superstar. He had mediocre talent around him. He should have been option number one. Nelson played with way way better players and against much better competition. And bottom line he won more games.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this isn't hard.
Both were ACC rookies of the year

Reaction Score
sheesh on the Purvis inflation - RP was outstanding at 18 and didn't jump much better.

This off-season is very important. Sidney Wilson, Polley + Gilbert can all be far better - with work. A Staff with those 3 notable talent evaluators/recruiters needs to pick a Big or 3 and just focus: we aren't far from a full roster of tough kids with talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom