Reports: UConn Presentation to Big12 in Dallas on 9/8 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Reports: UConn Presentation to Big12 in Dallas on 9/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Talk about an all is lost recap when you had no one with knowledge talking about anything. From the paper that did no reporting at all during this process we get here that 1. Houston is the favorite 2. 2 or no schools selected 3. UConn is behind Cincy/BYU for the last spot. Well ok than. I guess we all wasted our time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I gotta call BS on that article in the Courant - or the Big 12 is clueless.

In this day and age, there is no way a major conference asked questions about airports. There is no way.

First, I'm sure the entire conference has flown into it at one time or another - Texas and OU have done so multiple times.

Second, consultants.

Third, Google Maps.

Reaction Score
I gotta call BS on that article in the Courant - or the Big 12 is clueless.

In this day and age, there is no way a major conference asked questions about airports. There is no way.

First, I'm sure the entire conference has flown into it at one time or another - Texas and OU have done so multiple times.

Second, consultants.

Third, Google Maps.

I'm going w/ Big12 is clueless (or intentionally sowing all sorts of misinformation with folks).

This is what drove those comments by Altivilla -- They were from last night and not specific to UConn's presentation.

>Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 32m 32 minutes ago Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like the Big 12 is going to get all its face-to-face meetings in this week. Candidates are bringing presidents and a mountain of info

Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 30m 30 minutes ago Brooklyn, NY
Heard Big 12 asked for a high level of detail about local airports. And detailed reports about all sports programs.<​

Heck, MCO even tweeted out a support tweet this morning for UCF: Which was deleted shortly thereafter.

Orlando Intl Airport@MCO 28 mins ago
We hear there's a "Big" meeting happening today. We're with you, @UCFKnights! #ChargeOnto the @Big12Conference.​

Reaction Score
The airport thing is b.s. A few years back when flying from Dallas to Hartford through Kansas City and Chicago (on Southwest) we were joined in KC by the women's volleyball team from West Virginia (I'll reserve comments on their appearance). They had to go through Chicago to get home as well.

Reaction Score
#1 is interesting. Here is a map showing which schools were selected as peers on a Chronicle of Higher Education Survey. Who Does Your College Think Its Peers Are?

Observations:
1) UConn only selected one Big 12 school - Texas. 3 Big 12 schools listed UConn - Iowa State, Texas Tech and WVU.
2) Iowa State listed everyone in sight, including Cincinnati, South Florida and Houston.
3) Houston didn't list any Big 12 schools but did list Memphis and Louisville.
4) Brigham Young was only listed by 5 schools - its own satellite campus in Utah, Pepperdine and 3 branches of the University of Phoenix. If they aren't selected by the Big 12 it's going to be due to the feeling that BYU is not a compatible institution.
The most academically elite institution that considers us a peer is...Bowdoin. Something is wrong here. Our Yankee Conference friends love us. Looks like we want into the Big Ten, very badly. Good for perception purposes, I suppose. But we are new to rushing elite level fraternities. Will take time. Since we are in Connecticut, I am confident the school will succeed.

UT-Dallas might be our way into the Big 12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are two international academic networks the US is part of, Uniersitas 21 and Worldwide University Network (WUN). UMass-Amherst is part of WUN.

Worldwide Universities Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Universitas 21 is a quite interesting, since none of the ancient schools in England are members, but yet, two of the four ancient schools in Scotland are members. Last school to be added was in 2013, in South Africa.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is a coincidence. We were the Connecticut State Huskies well before "UConn" ever came to anyone's mind.
Link? I'm sure that you are right Butch, but I find this stuff interesting.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 30m 30 minutes ago Brooklyn, NY
Heard Big 12 asked for a high level of detail about local airports. And detailed reports about all sports programs.<​

I really hope this isn't true. If so, I now have absolutely zero hope that the B12 will be making a decision that is based on rational thought/analysis and sound strategic decision making.

Hell, if this truly is an important criteria for the B12, let's go all in. With the monetary difference between a B12 payout and an AAC payout, we can blow their socks off. Let's return the P&W runway at The Rent back into a functioning runway that is solely used for a fleet of B12 charter planes that UConn owns. They can shuttle the B12 teams on the charter planes and land at The Rent. We can build a luxury hotel that will only be used by the B12 visiting players/families/fans. And then we will have luxury limo buses that will transport their teams and fans to Storrs for all non-football sports.

Hell, now that I think about it, we can use it to our advantage. Since these new luxury charter plane will be transporting the B12 schools to/from CT, our teams will be able to use it on the trips to/from those schools as a true shuttle service. So all of our athletes will have the benefit of these luxury charters and accommodations for all of their travel. Can you imagine how great this could be for UConn Athletics...a huge recruiting tool for all the 16 year old kids across all sports. We can have the plane/accommodations pimped out with all of the latest cool stuff for the kids, along with a separate "study lounge" completely wired with the latest technology.

The B12 may be on to something...why haven't we thought of this before?:rolleyes:Head bang

upload_2016-9-9_10-35-0.png

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Big 12 - Your school is in which state?

UCF - Florida?

Big 12 - Interesting. Which part of Florida?

UCF - Central Florida?

Big 12 - Interesting. Do you have a major airport near you?

UCF - Orlando?

Big 12 - Interesting. Any local attractions?

UCF - DisneyWorld?

Big 12 - Interesting. Tell us about it...

Reaction Score
Move over carwash, airports are now the venue of realignment.

So what did they want, a profile of airport food court offerings or something? Pretty ridiculous IMO

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not a surprising thought, but Huskies was selected as our mascot before our impressive university and conference realignment candidate adopted the University of Connecticut name. Here's some Connecticut State University Jonathan mascot background: A Piece of UConn History/History of Jonathan-Part 1 - November 5, 2001
02husky.jpg

1935-1947: A cousin of Jonathan I, the second Jonathan was an Eskimo Husky, and started the tradition of an all-white dog as mascot. He debuted November 8, 1935 at rally prior to the annual football rivalry against Rhode Island. In September of 1936, Jonathan II chased Brown's bear mascot up a tree, and it took Providence police and fire fighters to retrieve the animal.​

Great stuff.

Reaction Score
I really hope this isn't true. If so, I now have absolutely zero hope that the B12 will be making a decision that is based on rational thought/analysis and sound strategic decision making.

Hell, if this truly is an important criteria for the B12, let's go all in. With the monetary difference between a B12 payout and an AAC payout, we can blow their socks off. Let's return the P&W runway at The Rent back into a functioning runway that is solely used for a fleet of B12 charter planes that UConn owns. They can shuttle the B12 teams on the charter planes and land at The Rent. We can build a luxury hotel that will only be used by the B12 visiting players/families/fans. And then we will have luxury limo buses that will transport their teams and fans to Storrs for all non-football sports.

Hell, now that I think about it, we can use it to our advantage. Since these new luxury charter plane will be transporting the B12 schools to/from CT, our teams will be able to use it on the trips to/from those schools as a true shuttle service. So all of our athletes will have the benefit of these luxury charters and accommodations for all of their travel. Can you imagine how great this could be for UConn Athletics...a huge recruiting tool for all the 16 year old kids across all sports. We can have the plane/accommodations pimped out with all of the latest cool stuff for the kids, along with a separate "study lounge" completely wired with the latest technology.

The B12 may be on to something...why haven't we thought of this before?:rolleyes:Head bang

View attachment 15451

Wasn't the nickname of that plane the "Super Pregnant Guppy"? There's a real joke there somewhere.

Reaction Score
If I had a nickel for every time I told someone I was going to/was/used to attend UConn, and they first thought I was talking about the Yukon... and we are talking about a B12 fan here... ;)

Well it is an intentional play on words, and I don't think "Huskies" as a mascot is a coincidence.

Yet another kindred connection I see between UConn and the University of Texas. They both conjure fun but inaccurate larger than life mental images.

UConn - mushing huskies pulling a sleigh across the frozen tundra in a howling blizzard, and yet you're actually an academia with the basketball jones on a pretty green campus along a bustling corridor.

Texas - a vast herd of cattle moving across a desert dotted with red sandstone buttes and saguaro cacti, and yet we're actually an urban campus in a somewhat liberal city in the Texas hill country.

The deeper you look the more you find Texas and UConn are peas in a pod. You guys belong in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
A cousin of Jonathan I, the second Jonathan was an Eskimo Husky
Eskimo Husky ... Big Eskimo Husky => Da Aisijimo Gou ... mush, you Huskies!

Here's an enticing bit of history: Jonathan IV (1949-1959) ... arrived on campus three days before the Yale game in 1949, and grabbed Yale's "Handsome Dan" bulldog by the nose the first time they met. He first visited our backyard, New York City, in 1951 when UConn men first played in an NCAA tournament, and was known to growl at opposing players ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom