Reports: UConn Presentation to Big12 in Dallas on 9/8 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Reports: UConn Presentation to Big12 in Dallas on 9/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think it was more Suzie that the Manual. I also suspect that there was whispering that the white logo looked more Samoyed that husky, which truth be told it did. Take the same logo and make it white, as @Penfield and a few others did I'd be completely with it. I am not a big fan of the new costume "Mascara Jonathan" at all, but it is what it is.

I figure in a few more years they'll change it back for change's sake. I look forward to the "the White Dog is back" campaign.

They never should have done away with the all white Siberian. It was unique and distinctive, seperating us from all the other schools that use the more traditional looking huskies. All they needed to do was change the logo. Now we have a Husky that looks like a photoshoped cartoonish wolf. I can't wait until we get rid of it and go back to our own history. I refuse to buy any apparel with this ridiculous looking thing on it.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If UConn sports are meant to be "fun" why don't we have a snuggly husky?

Reaction Score
They never should have done away with the all white Siberian. It was unique and distinctive, seperating us from all the other schools that use the more traditional looking huskies. All they needed to do was change the logo. Now we have a Husky that looks like a photoshoped cartoonish wolf. I can't wait until we get rid of it and go back to our own history. I refuse to buy any apparel with this ridiculous looking thing on it.
I like the new logo. I also liked the 80's-90's logo but not thrilled with the cartoon which followed that one.

images

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Fart jokes aside, the new logo wasn't created on a whim nor was it a temporary change for merchandising. For marketing, for branding, for identity the school wanted something that would be similar in effect to Penn State's Nittany Lion profile. A symbol that the instant someone sees it they immediately identify with the school.

I personally would have preferred a bit less blue (someone recreated it nicely) but I wasn't consulted on the design.

Reaction Score
Fart jokes aside, the new logo wasn't created on a whim nor was it a temporary change for merchandising. For marketing, for branding, for identity the school wanted something that would be similar in effect to Penn State's Nittany Lion profile. A symbol that the instant someone sees it they immediately identify with the school.

I personally would have preferred a bit less blue (someone recreated it nicely) but I wasn't consulted on the design.

I like the new design, but I can't help but think the branding identity of the old husky was better in that it looked nothing like anyone else's. This one, while more stylish, is also much more generic. And yes, definitely should have kept it an all white dog, that too was identifiable. In fact, my wife and kids all said that without my prompting and they aren't even from CT.

Reaction Score
Now we have a Husky that looks like a photoshoped cartoonish wolf.

Our logo looks like a traditional Siberian Husky finally for the first time. Our logo finally encapsulates the mask, eyes and features of a husky instead of a gym sock or a Samoyed. My Siberian Husky looks identical to UConn's logo - there's nothing cartoon wolf about it.

If you want to see a cartoon wolf mascot look at Northeastern.

Reaction Score
Our logo looks like a traditional Siberian Husky finally for the first time. Our logo finally encapsulates the mask, eyes and features of a husky instead of a gym sock or a Samoyed. My Siberian Husky looks identical to UConn's logo - there's nothing cartoon wolf about it.

There's no question that the new logo is a husky, and the old one wasn't. And the new one is totally fine, and I think most people have gotten used to it by now.

But the old one was iconic because most of our success as an athletic department came while we were using it. That was what bothered me about the change. Successful programs shouldn't change their logo, it's bush league.

Reaction Score
But the old one was iconic because most of our success as an athletic department came while we were using it. That was what bothered me about the change. Successful programs shouldn't change their logo, it's bush league.

This. If we're going to claim to be an elite, blue-blood program, with a strong brand, we don't go changing our logo. It's a small-time move.

The Kansas Jayhawk -- a blue bird with a red head, in clogs -- is ridiculous on its face, but is an iconic logo with strong brand identity. That's not going to change in a hundred years.

Reaction Score
This. If we're going to claim to be an elite, blue-blood program, with a strong brand, we don't go changing our logo. It's a small-time move.

The Kansas Jayhawk -- a blue bird with a red head, in clogs -- is ridiculous on its face, but is an iconic logo with strong brand identity. That's not going to change in a hundred years.

Yeah, blue bloods would NEVER change their logos:

upload_2016-9-13_14-32-41.png

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I glad it looks more like your dog. It looks less like our actual mascots for the last 80 years though.

As I said above, it done, and I can live with it, but I would have preferred to keep the tradition of an all white husky.

Reaction Score
I glad it looks more like your dog. It looks less like our actual mascots for the last 80 years though.

Pretty dumb to call yourselves the Huskies and use an entirely different breed of dog as a logo. Even dumber to do it for it 80 years.

CL82

Reaction Score
Pretty dumb to call yourselves the Huskies and use an entirely different breed of dog as a logo. Even dumber to do it for it 80 years.

Yes, I suppose it would be, of course that isn't the case.

02husky.jpg

1935-1947: A cousin of Jonathan I, the second Jonathan was an Eskimo Husky, and started the tradition of an all-white dog as mascot. He debuted November 8, 1935 at rally prior to the annual football rivalry against Rhode Island. In September of 1936, Jonathan II chased Brown's bear mascot up a tree, and it took Providence police and fire fighters to retrieve the animal.

Reaction Score
Yes, I suppose it would be, of course that isn't the case.

02husky.jpg

1935-1947: A cousin of Jonathan I, the second Jonathan was an Eskimo Husky, and started the tradition of an all-white dog as mascot. He debuted November 8, 1935 at rally prior to the annual football rivalry against Rhode Island. In September of 1936, Jonathan II chased Brown's bear mascot up a tree, and it took Providence police and fire fighters to retrieve the animal.

This is not a logo.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is not a logo.
No it is our actual 2nd mascot, the one that started the 80 year long tradition of using a white husky as a mascot.

CL82

Reaction Score
So this is what it would be like on this board if we didn't have conference realignment to discuss.....
Yeah, pretty much still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger