Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the Big 10 and Big 12 I believe. Every. Single. Year.

The American gets to play the bottom 4 teams in the SEC.
That's huge. Maybe we leave on good enough terms to play the some of the more desirable AAC schools out of conference.

Reaction Score
Anyone "done" with UConn athletics over this is just being a p-word.

Practical? I am with Dooley. I am done.

Big East, what an absolute joke.

This isn’t the fault of only one person, it’s the culmination of years of horrendous decisions coupled with total lack of vision by the administration and athletic department.

People celebrating this move is bizarre.

Reaction Score
When I hear people talking about going to football games it’s always like “well I was given these tickets.. I will go if the weather is nice..” it’s like they don’t really even want to go and are looking for an excuse not to, like they were going to church lol.

Because Gampel is always filled to capacity.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know many people disagree with me. That's okay. I do hope that the remaining UConn fans will be happy. It was a fun ride while it was here. We almost made it to the P5 and athletic relevance. Heckuva shot.

I was a fan and an alumn before we ever played FBS football. So I’m not abandoning the ship. I am tentatively disappointed. I’m withholding final judgment until I see the plan for football.

I consider this neutral for basketball as far as quality of opposition. It’s better for the casual fans, who couldn’t bring themselves to fill arenas in the AAC. It’s better for me, because I’m 20 minutes from the Dunk. But I don’t get more excited about Big East teams than Memphis, Houston and WSU.

So let’s see what rabbit they pull out of their hat. MAC, Sunbelt, UMass level Indy? Epic fail. Independent with Fox setting up 3 games vs B12 and 3 vs B10 every year? Yeah, I’ll take that. That might be better than the AAC. It would enhance the brand.

Reaction Score
When I hear people talking about going to football games it’s always like “well I was given these tickets.. I will go if the weather is nice..” it’s like they don’t really even want to go and are looking for an excuse not to, like they were going to church lol.

It's a tailgate party with some guys running around in helmets afterwards.

Reaction Score
Practical? I am with Dooley. I am done.

Big East, what an absolute joke.

This isn’t the fault of only one person, it’s the culmination of years of horrendous decisions coupled with total lack of vision by the administration and athletic department.

People celebrating this move is bizarre.

Nice knowing you. Bye bye

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not true - and actually, ridiculously dumb.

Football did not hurt our athletic department - the head in the sand attitude people had about the reality of football driving the bus caused us to upgrade a decade later than we should have.

Our current situation is a lot different if people had thought like a flagship university should have been thinking. But instead, we pretended we were Maine or New Hampshire and now here we are - likely on the path to eventual oblivion.

Nailed it. My main concern with the likely result here, barring a miracle, is that UConn is thinking small time again, and forever leaving behind the dream of becoming real peers to Michigan and Virginia. Our stated goal.

Reaction Score
Welcome back UConn!!!

I have vivid memories of watching our teams go against the likes of Chris Smith, Ray Allen, Marcus Williams, Rudy Gay. In my lifetime, I consider you our biggest rival.

Look forward to kicking your arses again.
You guys had a nice couple of years running the Big East while we were away but Daddy's home now

Reaction Score
I'm bad at copying and pasting tweets but according to Matt Nolander of CBS Sports...expected that this will be announced officially at MSG next Thursday. A call is scheduled for early next for Big East Presidents to ratify deal. UConn BOT is supposed to vote on this on Wednesday. That could be moved up though.

"I'd be surprised if this ends pretty," a second source told Norlander, noting that the AAC is not going to make this transition easy on the program. "... [The Huskies] never fully embraced the American."

Not exactly unexpected.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Time for some hot takes:

1. Stop living in the past, the BE glory days aren't coming back because of this move, but BB will get a return to relevance with northeast recruiting in kids that don't want to be playing ECU and Tulsa.

2. This is about the lousy AAC media deal (not enough $ and no third tier potential) and ESPN+ (thank the analog nature of our fanbase). This is what is forcing this move now. From a financial standpoint, it's a no-brainer. If we can't make $7M on our own, then we don't belong at this level. (A monthly dollar per household surcharge raises $12M) Never being on local or national TV again is what will kill the brand.

3. MBB can now finish fourth in the league and not sweat missing the NCAA. Still can't finish ninth.

4. FB needs to win games and attract better opponents. It's TBD whether an indy schedule can top Tulane, USF, SMU, Memphis, and Temple, but there really isn't much downside to the likes of Western Michigan or any other CUSA/MAC level opponents.

5. This isn't a step up or down for the AD. It's out of the frying pan into another frying pan. Any non-P5 outcome is just another non-P5 outcome.

6. The biggest concern is bowl eligibility. FB needs it. Maybe we get a chance in the new Boston bowl maybe we end up in some of the same bowls as the AAC, only as the opponent. Either way, we won't be playing top half P5 teams so it really doesn't matter which bowls, just that recruits know they can play in bowls. The road to the G5 bid is the same. Go undefeated and play a better schedule that the other G5 undefeateds. I'll deal with that problem if and when it occurs.

I'm not a fan of the NBE. There leveraging of the BE brand is a credit to them but Nova and the C7 are not Cuse, Louisville, WV or any of the branded programs that left. There is a reason the C7 was consistently at the bottom of the league. That said, the AAC was/is killing the brand in all sports. FB cause we sucked and BB because the recruits we needed didn't want to play in the AAC. (Payola schools like Memphis not included.)

The media deal made this necessary, doesn't mean it's a panacea.

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn men's basketball fan first and foremost. I moved out of CT before the football team upgraded. So I never became a big UConn football fan. Plus I went to college at Michigan so I already had a team to root for.

In the short term this is going to be great for basketball. But I'm worried that in the long term this has financial ramifications that are going to hurt the basketball program. I hope not, but I do fear that.

Reaction Score
0-4. We weren't in contention for the Big 10 at the time Rutgers was added. I don't see how nuking any shot at the P5 by moving to the NBE is considered a good thing.
Who says it does?

Reaction Score
It is a major sport. I think the problem are the delusional UConn fans who think the only sport that matters or exists at UConn is basketball. Major Universities have 3 major sports and care about each equally.
So duke cares equally about football as it does basketball? Clemson cares just as deeply about basketball as it does football? I don’t find this to be an accurate statement at all

Reaction Score
I know, right?!!! And men's basketball is losing money and hasn't had a winning season in three years. Hell woman's basketball hasn't won a championship in at least that long! Shut 'em all down I say!!!

The idea that "the way things are is the way that they will always be is the refuge of tiny minds.
Oh, Jesus...you too? Football was already dead. It has been dieing for years. It wasn't going to bounce back in this situation. How can you lump that in with the basketball teams with a straight face? They have both won multiple national championships and have won one in the last five years. You people need to get a grip. There is a path to daylight here just like there was with the Ollie situation. Stop being such snowflakes!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Oh, Jesus...you too? Football was already dead. It has been dieing for years. It wasn't going to bounce back in this situation. How can you lump that in with the basketball teams with a straight face? They have both won multiple national championships and have won one in the last five years. You people need to get a grip. There is a path to daylight here just like there was with the Ollie situation. Stop being such snowflakes!
View attachment 44032
Um, can't you tell CL82 is being facetious? But maybe you know that and you are playing along with the joke, in which case I'm the one who can't tell if you are being facetious.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
True. And in UConn's case it drove the athletic department into a ditch.

No, the AD drove it into a ditch, hiring incompetent administrators that hired incompetent coaches.

Reaction Score
Colgate at Army last season had a crowd of over 25,000 last season. Clemson at Boston College sold out. Yale vs Harvard at Fenway drew 30K.

Smart fans we have.
Look in the mirror meathead. AT Army, where all the cadets and staff attend every game. CLEMSON at bcc, where it is Clemson that is the obvious draw, not bc. And Yale Harvard has how long of a rivalry? Plus, are either of them FBS?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 44032
I know, right?!! And men’s basketball has been a losing team for three straight seasons!!! There’s no way you can ever fix that! Oh my God… Why don’t people realize this!! And did I mention we were totally losing money!!. I mean if we can’t compete in the American, not exactly known as a basketball conference, how the heck can we compete in the Big East?!! I mean… We can’t even make it to the NCAA tourney!! It’s over! We should just terminate all sports!! My God, why can’t people see this?!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom