Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nailed it. My main concern with the likely result here, barring a miracle, is that UConn is thinking small time again, and forever leaving behind the dream of becoming real peers to Michigan and Virginia. Our stated goal.

UConn needs a century to try to sniff those schools' alumni, endowment, etc.

As others have said UConn is setting its sights as a peer to UNH, UVM and UMass. Small, regional fanbases. Doesn't help that NE lags rest of country in poplulation growth.

Reaction Score
This will make 11 teams. For logistical purposes the BE might want an even number of schools. So maybe they will invite someone else. I'll just get the ball rolling right now..F%$# UMass!

It's been posted elsewhere, but an 11 team league allows for each team to play the other 10 teams twice in a round robin 20 conference game format and the NBE has already leaked that it will be doing so.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It's been posted elsewhere, but an 11 team league allows for each team to play the other 10 teams twice in a round robin 20 conference game format and the NBE has already leaked that it will be doing so.
The NBE has been looking for an 11th school so that they could go to a 20 game schedule, they were looking at St. Louis for sure and rumors were that they reached out to Gonzaga. But we were really the best mutual fit. I think we had the invitation on the table for some time we were just trying to figure out football.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Colgate at Army last season had a crowd of over 25,000 last season. Clemson at Boston College sold out. Yale vs Harvard at Fenway drew 30K.

Smart fans we have.
Wow... 25,000....:rolleyes:
I played in front of at the very least 50k every Saturday, and that was for a MWC team. Not saying people in the Northeast dislike college football, but in relation to the rest of the country the NE is bringing up the rear for sure.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but do we all forget how UConn went from a small regional school to a nationally recognized athletic powerhouse?.....Basketball.

We are not a top football school and probably never will be. Call it short-sighted if you want, but this move to the NBE Is enormous for basketball, and thus UConn Athletics as a whole. The timing is perfect with Hurley's early tenure.

Besides Football I doubt any other sports will be effected in a major way.

Baseball will be. The AAC is a great baseball conference, and along with the women's BB and FH programs, and men's soccer, baseball is one of our best programs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn needs a century to try to sniff those schools' alumni, endowment, etc.

As others have said UConn is setting its sights as a peer to UNH, UVM and UMass. Small, regional fanbases. Doesn't help that NE lags rest of country in poplulation growth.

UMass is a peer. UNH and UVM aren’t close. Aside from UConn and maybe UMass, public education in New England blows. If that’s what the sites are then the sites are set to move UConn backwards and erase 30 years of distancing ourselves from those losers.

I’m waiting to see what they do with football. If they can keep P5 hopes alive, that’s what matters.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Baseball will be. The AAC is a great baseball conference, and along with the women's BB and FH programs, and men's soccer, baseball is one of our best programs.
Baseball is a DISTANT 3rd sport to football and basketball and it’s not that big of a drop off what we lose in level of competition we gain in less travel, more traditional rivalries, probably even helps us recruit local kids. Baseball will be fine.

Reaction Score
So here we are on page 31, and 17 hours since the original post.

I feel kind of like it’s the aftermath of 9/11, minus any jubilation of course. Everybody is a little stunned in the immediate news. Nobody knows how this came to be and who exactly concocted this behind the scenes, and for how long. I feel like football is our early-00s position as the international moral authority; realistically dead for some time, but completely and almost openly abandoned. And we certainly are at a crossroads in the history of this AD, like there was America before and after 9/11.

I’m really happy for the basketball programs, but I really can’t feel amazing about long-term competition on television being our whole AD income, besides what we earn through winning of course (and make no mistake, I see how much better chance we now have at being a good program again). The Olympic sports will be stretched far less thinly. Baseball will likely suffer. I take it Hockey is staying where it’s at.

Have to be worried about a flagship state university doing this to football, though. I’m not crazy about football but certainly watch and care enough to pay attention to the football forum; I understand the value that simply sticking around with the “big leagues” (leaving the P5/6 debate alone) in football has. The big concern voiced is that, when the Book of P5 Revelation comes to pass and some committee forms some 64-team league outside of the NCAA, that we will not be considered, specifically because we can’t claim membership of a second-rate FBS conference where everyone knows we are the dreg. If this clean-slate scenario were to take place, East Carolina and Tulane aren’t above us on the hierarchy of schools that present value to a conference if we are at the top of the NBE and near the top of a MAC-like conference (does anyone doubt we could achieve that?). There’s always ability for UConn to be upwardly mobile at any time, granted we add sports value by winning and producing pros, due to our being a state university. We have great football facilities now. If we move down to a more regional FBS conference, we can bide our time while Basketball gets us back to being a national asset, and if/when the times comes, as we knew to be the case before, our basketball is attractive enough to get us the invite, and we can quickly upgrade in football with the insane revenue we will then be making. We really have NOTHING going for us in the AAC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because they don't show it publically...

I have plenty of proof they have been. But I'll leave you guys to your fantasies.
Do u have more info than uconn?
I'd imagine if there was even just a 10% chance we join the big 10 in 5 years they just keep us stashed in the American.
Im sure we've reached out tothe big 10 and acc over the last 5 years

Reaction Score
Um, can't you tell CL82 is being facetious? But maybe you know that and you are playing along with the joke, in which case I'm the one who can't tell if you are being facetious.
Oh, crap...I mean, yeah, I knew that!

Reaction Score
Look in the mirror meathead. AT Army, where all the cadets and staff attend every game. CLEMSON at bcc, where it is Clemson that is the obvious draw, not bc. And Yale Harvard has how long of a rivalry? Plus, are either of them FBS?
Thanks for proving my point. People in the northeast care about football. Cadets were a small percentage. Was at the game.

Reaction Score
Do u have more info than uconn?
I'd imagine if there was even just a 10% chance we join the big 10 in 5 years they just keep us stashed in the American.
Im sure we've reached out tothe big 10 and acc over the last 5 years
We can use improving our standing in football, obviously, and hold in basketball, at worst. The state itself is even desirable to the Big Ten, for a variety of reasons.

I'd doubt I'd know anything they don't know, other than at one time B1G presidents might, keyword, might, have been wondering if they should have added us instead of Rutgers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow... 25,000....:rolleyes:
I played in front of at the very least 50k every Saturday, and that was for a MWC team. Not saying people in the Northeast dislike college football, but in relation to the rest of the country the NE is bringing up the rear for sure.

For two Ivy League teams playing FCS? I’m not going to pretend college football is big in New England, but it isn’t because people don’t like it, it’s because it isn’t woven into the fabric of the regional culture the way the NFL is.

Reaction Score
Thanks for proving my point. People in the northeast care about football. Cadets were a small percentage. Was at the game.
You got a few concussions in your playing days, didn't you.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
For two Ivy League teams playing FCS? I’m not going to pretend college football is big in New England, but it isn’t because people don’t like it, it’s because it isn’t woven into the fabric of the regional culture the way the NFL is.
Exactly, I’m right with you, as far as NFL goes, there’s just as many die hards in the NE than anywhere.

Reaction Score
Nailed it. My main concern with the likely result here, barring a miracle, is that UConn is thinking small time again, and forever leaving behind the dream of becoming real peers to Michigan and Virginia. Our stated goal.

You can dream about being peers with Michigan and Virginia in the AAC as a Cincy or Tulsa fan. Cya later

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Great Day for UConn bball, I’m ecstatic... god knows those games we’re getting harder and harder to watch in AAC... Can’t wait for the tourney at MSG!!!

ps- sorry football fans, hard pill to swallow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel