Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 62 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the geniuses thinking we’re losing something huge here...
How many times have you been flipping through the channels and found the 6 OT game vs. Syracuse on ESPN classics?
How many times have you stopped to watch?
What AAC games have been on?
Exactly...

Reaction Score
The highest finishes of The New New Big East

National Championships
UConn- 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014 (4)
Villanova- 1985, 2016, 2018 (3)
Georgetown- 1984 (1)
Marquette- 1977 (1)

National Runner Ups
Butler- 2010, 2011 (2)
Seton Hall- 1989 (1)
St. John's- 1952 (1)

Final Four
Providence- 1973, 1987 (2)
DePaul- 1979 (1)

Elite 8
Xavier- 2004, 2008, 2017 (3)
Creighton- 1941 (1)

UConn and Villanova are 2 of the top 10 programs in the last 20 years and they will now be in the same conference. If Hurley can get us back (he really doesn't have an excuse now) and Wright stays put, that could be a marquee basketball game of the year in the sport. Imagine if they are both ranked and playing for the BET at MSG on Fox on a Saturday night? We already know Hurley and Cooley have history so that will also be a big rivalry.

Seton Hall and Providence seem to be fighting for NCAA spots under Willard and Cooley regularly. DePaul seems pretty comfortable at the bottom with Dave L.

My 2 big questions will be can Xavier, Butler, and Marquette continue to make the right hires as they usually lose their well established coaches to other leagues. And can Georgetown and St. John's show any signs of life under Ewing and Anderson.
Wasn’t Marquette in the Final Four in 2003?

Reaction Score
Marquette's best finish was the NC in 1977.
It’s so embarrassing to be that confident when I can just Google what I knew off the top of my head to prove you wrong...
I knew it because I got married in 2003. I had to do pre Cana and special sessions with a Jesuit priest because I wasn’t catholic. He went to Marquette. On the Friday night of the FF, he got a phone call and it was his buddies asking him to meet at the bar the next night to watch the FF.

Duh. That’s how I remembered that.

Reaction Score
It’s so embarrassing to be that confident when I can just Google what I knew off the top of my head to prove you wrong...
I knew it because I got married in 2003. I had to do pre Cana and special sessions with a Jesuit priest because I wasn’t catholic. He went to Marquette. On the Friday night of the FF, he got a phone call and it was his buddies asking him to meet at the bar the next night to watch the FF.

You're not doing well here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think you missed the point of chart you referenced. It listed only the best finish of every team, not every year of note. I don't care how you remembered that 2003 Final Four run, it didn't have a better finish than in 1977 when they actually won the whole thing.

Reaction Score

This is a tremendous self own. Congrats

Reaction Score
I think you missed the point of chart you referenced. It listed only the best finish of every team, not every year of note. I don't care how you remembered that 2003 Final Four run, it didn't have a better finish than in 1977 when they actually won the whole thing.
Okay, but FFs should count for something.
They actually do.

Reaction Score
Okay, so it’s top finished. I did miss that. I think you should also count all FF appearances because that’s ridiculously hard. It shows a lot more depth that highest finishes. Then you might as well get into Pitt flaming out in the second round...

Reaction Score
It also should only be when they were in the Big East... who cares when they weren’t?

Reaction Score
This. Ohio State will never ever allow it. There is bad blood between the schools that goes back to the 60's.
Yeah and it’s all from basketball because that’s the sport UC can still beat them in at any given time. I still wish for the day UC beats Ohio state in football. This upcoming season seems like as good a chance as any. They hardly ever agree to play UC, much less in Cincinnati because they nearly lost to us at Paul Brown Stadium the year they won the national Championship under tressel

Reaction Score
2009 UConn isn't on that list why would 2003 Marquette?
I know. Or Villanova.
I was going back over it and to only count best results for any team is a miss. It’s hard to get to a FF. It’s hard to get a NC.
Even getting to the Elite 8 is hard to do, especially year in and year out.
It should be total tournament success. That was my point.
And 1977 was pre-Big East. That makes it even tougher to support that being in the list for Marquette.

Reaction Score
I know. Or Villanova.
I was going back over it and to only count best results for any team is a miss. It’s hard to get to a FF. It’s hard to get a NC.
Even getting to the Elite 8 is hard to do, especially year in and year out.
It should be total tournament success. That was my point.
And 1977 was pre-Big East. That makes it even tougher to support that being in the list for Marquette.

Please make your own chart.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is still drawing 30,000 to some games. Boeheim leaves & they don't get it right, there is a long drop to 10,000 for a UNC or someone come in to kill them. We can feel the Pride of past; in Syracuse, the region would deflate.

Reaction Score
Not that I believe anything about it or want it but...

The Big East basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden will have that certain “UConn” buzz to it once again when busloads of fans from Connecticut are enjoying March Madness at The World’s Most Famous Arena. Digital Sports Desk has learned, the University of Connecticut Huskies are making plans to return to the Big East Conference for basketball, according to multiple sources who could not comment publicly.

Before the basketball decision can be announced, the UConn athletics office must work on future details related to their football program, currently members of the American Athletic Conference where the Huskies went 0-8 (1-11, overall) last season. Other collegiate sports plans and schedules are also being juggled with plans for the change to take place before the 2020-21 basketball season.

What a week it’s been.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We were never ever getting the P5 invite. The ACC and Big 10 have made that incredibly clear by now. If there is another round on expansion in a few years, Houston, UCF, and Cincy would be the first to go. This was 100% the correct move. Our football program is beyond dead, the least they could do was save basketball
Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro