Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing though - I think this move signals that UConn knows exactly where we stand in relation to P5 expansion (it is not in the cards). I think that's a big reason some are so upset - if UConn felt it had a chance at the big boy table, this move doesn't happen. The P5 dream is over. This is just the old making lemonade out of lemons.
Maybe or maybe being disregarded in a best of the rest conference that is barely making more money in its brand new media deal which includes football than the Big East is making in it's old deal without it. I don't love it, but I see some potential. People tend to castrophize the unknown. I'll wait to see how bad it is or isn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The conference's highest ever seed was a 3, once. The conference has had one non-UConn Sweet 16 team. AAC basketball is trash.
Well, the point of the conference for most schools has been to redevelop programs or raise them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

... and the @Chief00 legend grows...

Reaction Score
Travel costs are insane for the olympics. I would think that's a big part of it along with schollies.
Exactly! I would love to know how much our costs will drop after this move. I bet it is as much, if not more, than our revenue will drop from the respective conferences.

Reaction Score
Maybe or maybe being disregarded in a best of the rest conference that barely making more money in it brand new media deal which includes football that the Big East is making in it's old deal without it. I don't love it, but I see some potential. People tend to castrophize the unknown. I'll wait to see how bad it is isn't.
The Fox contract has a kicker that raises it by 100 million if a "certain team" were added. ESPN now has the right to re-negotiate with the AAC (I'd imagine the deal ends up noticeably lower). Assuming we get anything for the football team, UConn is almost certainly in a better position now as it relates to increased income and lower expenses.

Reaction Score
If anything this move helps create more expansion. If the AAC adds a real/competent football program and continues their push to the playoff, and UConn is revitalized and helps lead a dominant NBE, I'm not sure the P5 will be idle. I'm sure UConn will be screwed of course, but I'd rather be in the NBE than the AAC in that scenario.
The problem with that scenario is what's the real/competent football program they'd add? And if it exists, why wasn't it already added?

Reaction Score
We'll see. So what is the actual penalty for leaving the AAC. They are supposed to give 27 months notice. Oh joy yet ANOTHER court battle.

Reaction Score
With the Big 10 and Big 12 I believe. Every. Single. Year.

The American gets to play the bottom 4 teams in the SEC.
So the Big 12 starts this year. Everyone plays everyone. Big East will now have 11 teams, but I am sure they will include is in the challenge. Imagine Kansas at Gampel?

Gavitt Games go until 2022. Eight games series with 4 games hosted by Big Ten and 4 games hosted by Big East.

So we get 20 games against Big East competition, a potential game with a Big Ten opponent, a likely game with a Big 12 opponent before we even schedule an OOC game.

Huge difference versus life in the American.

Reaction Score
Only winners are the people for whom MSG is a fetish and the makers of Tide since those folks will be messing themselves until we actually face Creighton on a Wednesday on FX1 and nobody cares. Basketball step back football huge step back baseball huge step back. Only field hockey and ice hockey are not facing a step back. Might as well see if we can reconstruct the old YANKEE Conference

Reaction Score
This decision means UConn football is dead. They are saying that football will remain FBS and that nothing has been decided. But the reality is that the football team has nowhere to go. And frankly, this decision only makes sense in the absence of football. So in a little while they will announce with great regret that UConn is shutting down its football program and they understand how much pain this will cause to some people and they hope the boosters and fans will not over react and blah, blah, blah. But when they think people aren't listening they will say among themselves "We finally got rid of it."

As a famous university president once said "These things must be done delicately."

Reaction Score
Only winners are the people for whom MSG is a fetish and the makers of Tide since those folks will be messing themselves until we actually face Creighton on a Wednesday on FX1 and nobody cares. Basketball step back football huge step back baseball huge step back. Only field hockey and ice hockey are not facing a step back. Might as well see if we can reconstruct the old YANKEE Conference
And others cared about playing USF in the first round of the AAC in Memphis.

Reaction Score
This decision means UConn football is dead. They are saying that football will remain FBS and that nothing has been decided. But the reality is that the football team has nowhere to go. And frankly, this decision only makes sense in the absence of football. So in a little while they will announce with great regret that UConn is shutting down its football program and they understand how much pain this will cause to some people and they hope the boosters and fans will not over react and blah, blah, blah. But when they think people aren't listening they will say among themselves "We finally got rid of it."

As a famous university president once said "These things must be done delicately."
Way to overreact. This is better for Men's and definitely women's basketball and most of the Olympic sports besides baseball. Football will at least be playing with Villanova in the FCS where they can compete with the same talent.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
They’ve been hating Hurley for several years as he previously coached University of Rhode Island. The school has a game with PC every season.
Right, and now he’s been added to their conference and they play him at least twice a year lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom