Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As the AAC, if you get the chance to keep the 130th best FBS school you have to take it, right?
You never know - we schedule the most P5 teams in the league. Great relationships with a couple of the schools in conference. Aresco is a UConn guy. Its the third most likely option, but not a 0% chance. After all, who can they replace UConn with that moves the needle? BYU and Boise aren't coming. UMass? Southern Miss?

Reaction Score
May as well just join the MAC.
Is that an option?

What if the Big East forms a mega conference structured similarly to the old Big East. Let's say there are two divisions in every sport. In football, it is FBS and FCS. In other sports teams are divided into two divisions, perhaps based on geography. Then say UMass, Temple, Navy and Buffalo join UConn in the new Big East football conference. Perhaps more like Cinci (unlikely) or Stony Brook. If, say, the conference had 16 teams then they could be divided into two 8 team basketball divisions and they could play intradivision teams twice and interdivision teams once.

I get that it is contorted and unlikely but what I am getting at is that there are ways our 1-11 football team can stay FBS.

Reaction Score
Is that an option?

What if the Big East forms a mega conference structured similarly to the old Big East. Let's say there are two divisions in every sport. In football, it is FBS and FCS. In other sports teams are divided into two divisions, perhaps based on geography. Then say UMass, Temple, Navy and Buffalo join UConn in the new Big East football conference. Perhaps more like Cinci (unlikely) or Stony Brook. If, say, the conference had 16 teams then they could be divided into two 8 team basketball divisions and they could play intradivision teams twice and interdivision teams once.

I get that it is contorted and unlikely but what I am getting at is that there are ways our 1-11 football team can stay FBS.
I don't think the MAC is an option. They just kicked out UMass for refusing to put their non-football sports in the MAC.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s a chance in hell the AAC will keep us in football. The conference is trying to be a poor man’s SEC. They’re probably happy we’re leaving.

I don't think it matters anyway. The chances of being competitive will be slim and none.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think the MAC is an option. They just kicked out UMass for refusing to put their non-football sports in the MAC.
Even on our worst days we're at least twice as desirable as UMass

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A couple of things. Remember when Louisville announced their move, they had already filed their intent to leave the AAC; even before they knew where they'd end up. That notification helped reduce their timeline and buyout to the conference.
Secondly, if UConn followed a similar path it could explain lack of tier 3 rights from the new TV deal. UConn was probably the only AAC school looking hard at retaining 3rd tier rights.

Reaction Score
So, so happy about this.

The football program generates little to no interest and will never be successful on the scale to which the University once hoped. Basketball is the lifeblood of this athletic department and it has been withering away in the AAC.

A return to the Big East will rejuvenate a fan-base that is in desperate need of a kick-start. When do season tickets for the 2020-2021 season go on sale?? LET'S GO!!

Reaction Score
This is program saving move. Kudos to UConn for doing this now before it's too late.

If you say so, champ. If you say so.

Narrator: It was not a program saving move. In fact, the University of Connecticut drank a gallon of anti-freeze and convinced the masses all would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom