Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It has to be if the Big Least is allowing us to join. A couple of years ago they interviewed NBE commish Val Ackerman and asked her about us joining her league. She said we'd have to decide what to do with football, meaning shut it down or downgrade it so there's no chance we'd leave the NBE. She wants to wear a hard hat and swing the wrecking ball at PAWS-ARF.

Maybe they've changed their minds?

UConn obviously adds way more value than any other school the NBE could pick up, it would make sense to value that over the stability of one school. Especially since any more p5 expansion seems to be a ways off, and UConn doesn't seem very likely to be invited at this point.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with basketball in the Big East. I have a huge issue with damaging football further. Football is essential to my fan experience. Even bad football is far better than no football.
I'm more concerned with baseball ending up in a worse spot and Stunning Steve's sanity if he can't talk up the AAC anymore. UConn Football could not exist and I don't think 99% of UConn fans would care

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned with baseball ending up in a worse spot and Stunning Steve's sanity if he can't talk up the AAC anymore. UConn Football could not exist and I don't think 99% of UConn fans would care

But you think people care about the spot UConn baseball ends up in?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I still don't understand how this is a financially positive move for us... Isn't the Big East deal half of what we just got from ESPN?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
But you think people care about the spot UConn baseball ends up in?
A handful of people on this board, yes. I didn't say most would. That's why I said *I* care

C

Chief00

When I said I did not know of a definite plan for football - I meant it. I know that sounds strange since football drives the bus in college sports everywhere else. The majority of effort that Chief was aware of was directed to getting into the Big East. Football is being worked on but it’s far behind in terms of reaching a destination.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand how this is a financially positive move for us... Isn't the Big East deal half of what we just got from ESPN?
Big East contract when it was negotiated had a kicker if an "11th" (hint, hint) team was added. AAC isn't getting the same money sans UConn. Now UConn doesn't have to play on an internet app, either.

I believe a big influence for this move was our strong partnership with SNY. Even if we have to go Independent, I'd imagine they will pick up the game for an amount similar to what we have been making from the AAC. After all, a few years ago they were paying 5 million for our second rate WBB games.

Reaction Score
This seems to be one of those rumors where everyone sourced it from one place. Every time I hear it, it has the same odd reference to Herbst trying to seal her legacy or set up some future gig and that's just not the way this works.

And it always ignores some pretty big logistics, like, you know, money. Going to the Big East would require a $10,000,000 check to the American, renegotiating all licensing and media deals downward, accepting a lower total payout from the BE vs the American and, ah, what do we do with our football program?

Unless someone tells me there's a magical provision that lets programs leave the American for free between television contracts, I think this one will run out of air just as quickly as it has in the past.
Well it's not like there isn't precedent for UConn not paying their 10 million dollar buyouts. Just saying

Reaction Score
Big East contract when it was negotiated had a kicker if an "11th" (hint, hint) team was added. AAC isn't getting the same money sans UConn. Now UConn doesn't have to play on an internet app, either.

I believe a big influence for this move was our strong partnership with SNY. Even if we have to go Independent, I'd imagine they will pick up the game for an amount similar to what we have been making from the AAC. After all, a few years ago they were paying 5 million for our second rate WBB games.
Instead they get to play on FS1 and FS2.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Unless the kicker is $4million per school per year, it doesn't get there. I do love that this is a huge *** to the AAC keeping UConn in the dark on their deal. Wonder if ESPN will reduce that deal if we leave..

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Instead they get to play on FS1 and FS2.

Right. So now everyone will need the mega expensive cable package to watch UConn rather than a $5 per month subscription. Great.

Reaction Score
If they can keep football in the AAC somehow that would be huge.
I don't hate calling the AAC's bluff on this. Common thinking has been that they won't let us stay, but are they really going to push us out? Putting Temple on an island and losing probably the biggest overall brand, although for a secondary sport is a big ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom