Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been against this move back for a while (I was a student post big East so maybe I was missing the nostalgia element) but it is now hitting me how accessible games will be living in NYC. St John's and Seton Hall road games and the big East tournament should be pretty fun.
Right now I can say that I am neutral on this topic because there are still many unanswered questions, but one of the cornerstones of college sports is having some kind of regional rivalry, Michigan/Ohio St, Duke/UNC, Alabama/Auburn. We had that in the early days of the original Big East but expansion made things like that a little crazy. But one thing about The American that nobody can deny whether you are pro or anti AAC is that we have zero regional schools, and that stinks. The closest conference school is in Philadelphia with a majority of the schools in southern/southwestern states (Florida, N Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas, Kansas). Also, after playing our conference tournament one state away at MSG for over 30 years, then all of a sudden playing our conference tournament in Memphis and Florida is a huge downgrade. One of the most exciting things about being a UConn fan was the Big East Tournament and having the luxury of getting from your home to your seat at Madison Square Garden for the BET, within 2-3 hours with a train ride depending on what part of the state you live.

Reaction Score
I was hopeful for a P-5 invite but that faded and crashed when we rehired Edsall to save the football program. The best we could hope for with Edsall was to bring UConn back to mediocrity. Short of the unlikely prospect of convincing a big name football coach to take the UConn job the NBE probably makes more sense.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
True, but the rumor specifically suggests that plans have to be made about football. Until I hear otherwise, I am going to assume that we are staying an FBS team. Worst case scenario, and it is pretty bad, is that we will become an independent.

That was written that way because the author knows the NBE won't take us if we still have an FBS football team. It also gives the author an out if it never happens.

The only way football as an FBS independent could work is if some insane TV network pays us a bloody fortune for the rights to our games, as if we were ND. That might make up for no bowls, no shared conference bowl revenue, and a horrible schedule. That also will not happen.

Reaction Score
I heard last Saturday from an alumn that we were heading back to the BE. His source was from a St Johns coach. I downplayed it as the latest rumor and brushed it off. But after last nights leak maybe this story does have legs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We know that the Big East side doesn't care about football numbnuts. The point you are responding to is that the thought that UConn would definitively have determined it's going to the Big EAst before -- and not after -- it has made a decision on what it's doing with football is beyond idiotic.

I'm not even saying this will never happen any more. Our sports have become such a disaster I don't take anything for granted. But if we go it.won't be BEFORE there is a plan for football, whatever that plan is.
Meh, leaks can be asymmetrical, especially in a three corner deal. Someone on the NBE side could have gotten chatty. They'd have no knowledge of the plan for football. It is entirely possible that conversations with NBE finished before a football deal is finalized or at least known to the leakers. That doesn't mean a plan is not in place.

I have no idea if this real, but there's been smoke for a while now.

Reaction Score
Could a new football conference be formed? UConn, UMass plus a few upgrades from existing Big East teams? Just throwing it out there.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I just want to say I'm amazed how many people apparently heard this news from random people before this story was published

"Yeah I was in Milwaukee last week and was chatting up some Marquette AD members and they mentioned we'd be conference mates soon but I kept it quiet because I assumed it was nothing"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Could a new football conference be formed? UConn, UMass plus a few upgrades from existing Big East teams? Just throwing it out there.

Reaction Score

May as well just join the MAC.

Drew

Reaction Score

How accurate is this? In multiple conversations with insiders, the move has been described as inevitable to USA Today Network New Jersey, but the timetable and details are unconfirmed at this time. Obviously it could not happen in time for 2019-2020 with schedules already being finalized.

But here’s why UConn’s homecoming would be welcomed with open arms by all 10 Big East schools and favored by crucial partners Fox Sports 1 and Madison Square Garden:

• UConn basketball is a big brand that would boost ratings and strengthen the league’s negotiating position for the next TV contract.
  • UConn fans travel well and would provide attendance bumps across the league and at the Big East Tournament (the latter rounds already have been selling out and would become an even hotter ticket).
  • The increase in member schools from 10 to 11 wouldn’t be a problem for basketball. Conferences across the country are moving to 20-game league schedules and the Big East could do that while retaining the true round robin — a high priority for the coaches. As for the tournament, it would change the bracket but the Big East ran a highly successful nine-team tournament for years, so the odd number matters little.

Drew

Reaction Score
Also not that this is a surprise but: Is UConn returning to the Big East Conference?

As explained to USA Today New Jersey, UConn’s return would be accompanied by a substantial exit penalty. That is not addressed in the Digital Sports Desk report.

C

Chief00

Only it didn’t really go public prematurely...

A St John’s fan with a “news” twitter hit send.

If you’re that worried about it Chief, why even give the guy the time of day.
LOL it’s public

Reaction Score
Also not that this is a surprise but: Is UConn returning to the Big East Conference?

As explained to USA Today New Jersey, UConn’s return would be accompanied by a substantial exit penalty. That is not addressed in the Digital Sports Desk report.
Some guy on reddit who knows someone at a Big East school said the Big East schools would be willing to chip in for the exit penalty. Not @Chief00 certified, but something to ponder.

Reaction Score
The Bonyeard and the Dude of West Virginia, your sources for realignment news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom