Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member

Reaction Score
How is ND independent? Aren't all of their other sports officially in the ACC?

Notre Dame is a FBS Independent. Same as BYU (WCC for other sports) and UMass (A-10) for example.

Reaction Score
How is ND independent? Aren't all of their other sports officially in the ACC? Is ND considered independent just because their football team can schedule 5 or 6 out of conference games instead of the usual 3 or 4 every other team is limited to? Is that what independence amounts to? A few extra out of conference games a year for the football team?

No, what it amounts to is the ability to have a separate TV contract.

I agree, with both men's and women's basketball playing in the conference tournament, saying the school is an independent is laughable. IIRC the men's team won the ACC conference championship a couple years ago.

Same situation as in the Big East. They played for the Big East tournament in just about all other sports, too. They are an independent in football.

Reaction Score
No, what it amounts to is the ability to have a separate TV contract.

Same situation as in the Big East. They played for the Big East tournament in just about all other sports, too. They are an independent in football.
Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
ND has the ability as a football independent to control the scheduling of 7 (not 3-4) games a year for rivalry games and national exposure (being in a conference limits that).

ND also has a stand alone, OTA contract with NBC as a football independent. "Cord cutting" does not/will not affect that.

ND has 24 of its 26 sports in the ACC. Hockey is moving from Hockey East to the Big Ten as an affiliate member for that one sport only.

ND has a separate TV contract with NBC Sports to televise all ND home hockey games. Their away games will be on BTN (which I will never see).

Reaction Score
ND has the ability as a football independent to control the scheduling of 7 (not 3-4) games a year for rivalry games and national exposure (being in a conference limits that).

ND also has a stand alone, OTA contract with NBC as a football independent. "Cord cutting" does not/will not affect that.

ND has 24 of its 26 sports in the ACC. Hockey is moving from Hockey East to the Big Ten as an affiliate member for that one sport only.

ND has a separate TV contract with NBC Sports to televise all ND home hockey games. Their away games will be on BTN (which I will never see).

Love how ND ran from Hockey East because they were and never will be good enough to win that conference.

Reaction Score
Love how ND ran from Hockey East because they were and never will be good enough to win that conference.

Actually, ND finished in fourth place in Hockey East, but only one point (29/28) out of first place. It all came down to the last game of the regular season vs. UMass-Lowell.

HockeyEastOnline.com - Men's Standings

ND also made it to the Frozen Four this past season.

A quick look at the 2017 men’s Frozen Four: Denver, Minnesota Duluth, Harvard and Notre Dame

I guess animus is a funny thing, it messes with facts sometimes......

Reaction Score
I'll betcha the Big Ten invites ND in all sports and one other school within the next year or so.

Reaction Score
I'll betcha the Big Ten invites ND in all sports and one other school within the next year or so.

That is impossible due to the ACC GOR, exit fee and contract between ND/ACC that says if ND football joins a conference prior to 2036, it must be the ACC.

Besides that, ND doesn't want its football program in the Big Ten, for a number of reasons.

Reaction Score
That is impossible due to the ACC GOR, exit fee and contract between ND/ACC that says if ND football joins a conference prior to 2036, it must be the ACC.

Besides that, ND doesn't want its football program in the Big Ten, for a number of reasons.
Some independence, eh?

ND's 2017 Football Conference schedule:
BC, UNC, NCS, Wake, Miami.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Plus the seven games a year no conference can dictate.
As opposed to the 4 games most teams have?

So ND's "football independence" consists of 3 extra game dates and the NBC contract. Nothing to sneeze at.

Reaction Score

Because they will get the crap kicked out of them in the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Plus the seven games a year no conference can dictate.
To be fair Terry it is 8 games that are locks on our schedule. USC,Stanford and Navy are never going away. So it is four games we have flexibilty with
BYU is independent, we're half pregnant.

Reaction Score

I've explained this before...

-- Withdraw from the ACC at 1/3-ish the going exit fee (can be done for less than the general rate for paying former coaches).
-- Join your conference of choice.

Reaction Score

ND's record vs. Hockey East teams while in the league was 56-36-13, with winning records vs. 9 of the 11 HE members. (The record vs. teams outside of Lowell, MA was 53-27-11.) As I recall, they beat the Hockey East champion en route to the FF this year. There was no geographic fit for ND in HE and obviously by last year the Big 10 changed its tune about affiliate membership for ND.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, ND finished in fourth place in Hockey East, but only one point (29/28) out of first place. It all came down to the last game of the regular season vs. UMass-Lowell.

A quick look at the 2017 men’s Frozen Four: Denver, Minnesota Duluth, Harvard and Notre Dame

I guess animus is a funny thing, it messes with facts sometimes.

So you were the second loser in Hockey East and one of the top 2 to 4 losers in the NCAA. Not impressed.

Reaction Score

I guess animus is a funny thing, it messes with facts sometimes.
While we're talking about facts, the game it came down to at the end of the Hockey East season for ND was against BU, which ND lost. Also, ND got categorically and embarrassingly ran out of the arena at the Frozen Four by Denver. That game was over when they turned the lights on that morning. One of the most woeful performances I've seen at a FF. But hey, have fun putting up that participation banner in Compton next year.

So long as Bjork and Peterson return, ND appears to be ready for a very strong season next year, though, and with the lesser competition overall in the B1G could be in strong contention for a 1 seed in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
While we're talking about facts, the game it came down to at the end of the Hockey East season for ND was against BU, which ND lost. Also, ND got categorically and embarrassingly ran out of the arena at the Frozen Four by Denver. That game was over when they turned the lights on that morning. One of the most woeful performances I've seen at a FF. But hey, have fun putting up that participation banner in Compton next year.

You must not have seen very many Frozen Four games. Did you see Quinnipiac's recent appearances, among others? Blowouts are common in the Frozen Four.

The record I mentioned speaks for itself. 56-36-13 vs Hockey East teams since joining the league, and winning records against all teams other than UML and NU. The claim that ND left HE because it was too scared of the competition is laughable.

I'm pretty sure that there is a 2009 Final Four banner up in Gampel, right?

Reaction Score
You must not have seen very many Frozen Four games. Did you see Quinnipiac's recent appearances, among others? Blowouts are common in the Frozen Four.

The record I mentioned speaks for itself. 56-36-13 vs Hockey East teams since joining the league, and winning records against all teams other than UML and NU. The claim that ND left HE because it was too scared of the competition is laughable.

I'm pretty sure that there is a 2009 Final Four banner up in Gampel, right?
I am pretty sure QU would trade their 2 FF banners for Yale's one championship.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure QU would trade their 2 FF banners for Yale's one championship.

They definitely would. I'm saying that I didn't realize that Final Four banners were "participation banners." Everybody puts up Final Four banners.

Reaction Score
I really wish everyone would put to rest the ND to ACC as full member talk. It is not happening. To those who are jealous of ND, too bad. They hit the jackpot years ago and it is not going to change anytime soon. Just like Rutgers hit the jackpot. It is a sad state of affairs, but it will not be changed anytime soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom