Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member

Reaction Score
The 1997 title was not a consensus title. Michigan claims it, sure. Alabama claims the 1973 title. Etc. It's .5 of a title.

That Bama title was awarded at the end of the regular season. They then took a loss at the hands of ND in the Sugar Bowl.

That .5 does not equal Michigan's .5.

Reaction Score
That Bama title was awarded at the end of the regular season. They then took a loss at the hands of ND in the Sugar Bowl.

That .5 does not equal Michigan's .5.

I would say that prior to 1998 when (1) there is an AP/Coaches' split and (2) the two teams did not play each other it has to be a ".5 title" situation. In any case, even if we give Michigan the 1997 title it doesn't change the bottom line, which is that Michigan "lives in the past" at least as much as ND does.

Reaction Score
I would say that prior to 1998 when (1) there is an AP/Coaches' split and (2) the two teams did not play each other it has to be a ".5 title" situation. In any case, even if we give Michigan the 1997 title it doesn't change the bottom line, which is that Michigan "lives in the past" at least as much as ND does.

All I can do is smile on that one, :)

Reaction Score
Michigan gets respect.

After all, Harbaugh is recognized by the media as one of college's great coaches...and he hasn't yet won a conference title, well,, actually a conference division title.

Reaction Score
All I can do is smile on that one, :)

And all I can do is wait for Michigan to beat Ohio State again. It doesn't happen very often. Until they do, what are we really talking about, anyway?

Reaction Score
I can't remember an undefeated ND team. They really have sucked on the field the past few years. A parade of coaches has not helped either. They can't remain independent and keep stinking up the field. That's why they're talking now with the ACC. If they joined the B1G they'd never see post season play again and they know it.

2012---12-1 (undefeated regular season, crushed by Bama)

2013--9-4

2014--8-5 (beat LSU in bowl)

2015--10-3 (2 pt. road losses Clemson/Stanford)

2016 --4-8 (Kelly should be fired)

ND is 59-31 since 2010 under Brian Kelly.

Not elite, by far, but not "really sucked on the field the past few years", either.

Reaction Score
ACC network is projected to bring an extra 15 million per school. That is a very good reason for ND to join.

That amount of money could lure Penn St to join the ACC as the 16th member. If/when the Big 12 breaks up WVU could end up in the ACC. I don't see any chance of another northeast school given the huge opposition from the southern schools. The only exception would be if ND convinced the ACC to add Navy. USF could be a possible addition as well.

Most likely WVU to the ACC as #16 and Texas, TT, Ok St & KSU to the PAC 12 and OU and KU to the B1G. SEC adds two more Texas schools out of Baylor, TCU and Houston. ISU to the AAC and maybe BYU.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
ACC network is projected to bring an extra 15 million per school. That is a very good reason for ND to join.

That amount of money could lure Penn St to join the ACC as the 16th member. If/when the Big 12 breaks up WVU could end up in the ACC. I don't see any chance of another northeast school given the huge opposition from the southern schools. The only exception would be if ND convinced the ACC to add Navy. USF could be a possible addition as well.

Most likely WVU to the ACC as #16 and Texas, TT, Ok St & KSU to the PAC 12 and OU and KU to the B1G. SEC adds two more Texas schools out of Baylor, TCU and Houston. ISU to the AAC and maybe BYU.

Where is the extra 15 million per school coming from?

Reaction Score
The New ACC North Division

Syracuse
Boston College
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Norte Dame
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Does has a old Big East tone to it, really need to make this happen.

Reaction Score
My guess is ND 10 billion dollar endowment will be divided up. That is the only way 15mil extra a year will happen.

Reaction Score

From your other posts I assumed you were a BC fan, but even a BC fan couldn't be this crazy.

Reaction Score

ESPN has projected such a payout...it seems.

" Florida State athletic director Stan Wilcox told FSU’s Board of Trustees on Wednesday that the conference hopes for $8-10 million more per school in the network’s first year, $15-20 million more thereafter. "

“It all depends on how well the network does,” Wilcox said. “They (ACC officials) are saying this network should have the same kind of return that the SEC Network has had in their first couple of years.”

Soooo...the answer on network revenue is...no one knows...but ESPN's John Skipper projects a full distribution on ESPN's family of channels by 2019.

Reaction Score
2012---12-1 (undefeated regular season, crushed by Bama)

2013--9-4

2014--8-5 (beat LSU in bowl)

2015--10-3 (2 pt. road losses Clemson/Stanford)

2016 --4-8 (Kelly should be fired)

ND is 59-31 since 2010 under Brian Kelly.

Not elite, by far, but not "really sucked on the field the past few years", either.
Prior to that they were 8-5 twice, then 6-6, and 7-6. Have had several embarrassing losses. Historically speaking they do suck now. They've gone through several coaches, Davie, Weiss, Willingham, now Kelly who is on the hot seat. There are problems in South Bend, NBC is not going to renew, so ND wants in to the ACC now. They would be very hesitant about joining the Big Ten IMO. The ACC is perfect for them if their goal is post season play and the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The New ACC North Division

Syracuse
Boston College
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Norte Dame
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Does has a old Big East tone to it, really need to make this happen.
The Big Ten could never compete with that in the Northeast TV markets. Rutgers would be a lonely outpost. Lol

Reaction Score

It is likely not that much. But, ND is contractually guaranteed the same network distributions as the other 14 ACC schools, without having to place football in the conference.

Those deals were signed last July, the first time that Brando ran his mouth with no real sources, only his large intestine.

Reaction Score
Prior to that they were 8-5 twice, then 6-6, and 7-6. Have had several embarrassing losses. Historically speaking they do suck now. They've gone through several coaches, Davie, Weiss, Willingham, now Kelly who is on the hot seat. There are problems in South Bend, NBC is not going to renew, so ND wants in to the ACC now. They would be very hesitant about joining the Big Ten IMO. The ACC is perfect for them if their goal is post season play and the playoffs.

NBC just renewed for ten years, until 2025.

Prior to the last three renewals of the deal, people on message boards were boldly predicting that it would not.

The other years of Kelly's tenure are part of the 59-31 record I quoted.

ND doesn't want its football program in the ACC. That was just that gasbag Brando, bloviating as usual.

Reaction Score

Hasn't the ACC already rejected WVU at least 3 or 4 other times? Why would they take them now? There are better options out there when the Big 12 dies.

Reaction Score
Hasn't the ACC already rejected WVU at least 3 or 4 other times? Why would they take them now? There are better options out there when the Big 12 dies.

The ACC is never taking West Virginia. There are fewer people and cable boxes in all of WVA than in CT (even excluding NYC and surrounding areas.) Hell even metro Cincinnati has a lot more people and cable boxes than West Virginia (even if you exclude the entire rest of Ohio and specifically Dayton.) Tack on the terrible academics and there's no desirability. The only thing WVU has going for it is some reach in the Pittsburgh market, but the ACC Network will already have coverage there due to Pitt. WVU has zero chance at the ACC in the short-term to medium-term.

Reaction Score
The ACC is never taking West Virginia. There are fewer people and cable boxes in all of WVA than in CT (even excluding NYC and surrounding areas.) Hell even metro Cincinnati has a lot more people and cable boxes than West Virginia (even if you exclude the entire rest of Ohio and specifically Dayton.) Tack on the terrible academics and there's no desirability. The only thing WVU has going for it is some reach in the Pittsburgh market, but the ACC Network will already have coverage there due to Pitt. WVU has zero chance at the ACC in the short-term to medium-term.

Yeah, that's what I pretty much think too.

This is also why that idiot Dude from WVU is always writing fantasies of the ACC dying and the Big 12 thriving because WVU basically has no options other than the Big 12....or maybe a return to the AAC, if we decide to let them return.

Reaction Score
"Conversations"

ACC -- "Now?"
ND -- "No."
ACC -- How about now?"
ND -- "Nope."

Suspiciously close to my comment yesterday on the BGN Big 12 board:

Thread: Notre Dame Perhaps Negotiating to be an ACC Member

Conversation?

Yep..but short

ACC: Come on board, won't you?

Notre Dame: Nope

Oh well...I guess I'll give you credit...old saw about great minds..LOL

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Never said is was ND's job to give UConn a decent Fb program. Don't know where you got that conclusion.

No one ever has. Those "truth teller" types are so boring.

Reaction Score

Bottom line is that in the last five years, Michigan's record is 40-24, while Notre Dame's record is 43-21. Both teams have had embarrassing losses. NBC has already renewed. I doubt ND is in any hurry to join the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom