Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member

Reaction Score
What benefits does being an independent have? Other than the NBC deal.

Reaction Score
For ND it is 3 fold...

1. The ability to schedule its traditional rivals and play a truly nationwide schedule....This includes ND playing annual rivalries like Stanford, USC, Navy, Michigan, etc....It also allows ND to change its schedule to play up and coming teams as they rise and fall.

2. The ability to say "ND is independent" which implies they are bigger than any conference and are truly a national program.

3. The ability to define their own success. A 9-3 independent ND team can deem itself a success. But a 9-3 ACC ND football team is likely in 3rd place in the ACC. Being in a conference means you get measured against conference mates...not against yourself.

The biggest problem for ND is their lack of ability to play in a P5 championship game. The ACC Championship game is a premier game and is a major draw for fans and recruits. If I am the AD of Notre Dame I am very interested in working with the ACC to develop a pathway for ND to play in the ACC Championship game. Getting that also insures a pathway to the college football playoff for ND.

If ND can gets full benefits as ACC members (money, ACC Championship game, etc...) with less than required number of in-conference games then they'd be crazy not to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
It plays who it wants on a National level. It is a unique position as the nation's Catholic university.
It has maintained national rivalries from the days of big independents. USC, Stanford, Miami, Mich, Mich State, Navy, Purdue...
This year ND has scheduled at least a game with each of the P4 (no B12).

ND has the best of all worlds with its arrangement with the ACC. They get ACC basketball scheduling and a home for non-rev sports, they play a handful of ACC football games, and they keep their own TV package and national football rivalries. Joining the ACC as a full member is a long shot - it already has what it wants out of the ACC.

Reaction Score
The playoff will probably move to 8 teams in a few years. This means that there will be spots for the P5 conference champions and 3 others. A 12-0 or 11-1 (or even 10-2) ND team will almost always get in.

Reaction Score
The playoff will probably move to 8 teams in a few years. This means that there will be spots for the P5 conference champions and 3 others. A 12-0 or 11-1 (or even 10-2) ND team will almost always get in.
ND is certainly looking ahead to this change. At 12-0 they probably get into the current CFP. When it expands to 8, 1 or 2 losses probably gets them in. When it expands to 12, 3 losses probably gets them in.

Reaction Score
Won't happen for eight more years, if it did happen.

"We wanted there to be stability in the system," Hancock told reporters at ESPN upfronts. "We wanted people to grow to love it and understand it. And we did 12 years on purpose. In our group of commissioners, I don't sense anybody wanting to go to eight—or our board, the presidents. They're delighted with where we are."

Reaction Score
Won't happen for eight more years, if it did happen.

Nothing is ever that certain. If we have a few more years like this past year (Penn State beats Ohio State, wins B1G championship, doesn't go to the CFP) with real controversy on who gets left out, we'll see.

A few years ago the mantra was "Conference Championships matter".

Reaction Score
Never said is was ND's job to give UConn a decent Fb program. Don't know where you got that conclusion.

I'll say it again - ND will take care of ND. ND doesn't care about anyone else, including the ACC.

The ACC has passed us over twice. I don't see us in the ACC.
We don't play them much in Football, but IIRC we did beat them a few years ago.

Reaction Score

Without ND, the DoJ and IRS busybodies would be crawling all over the money being pulled in by big-boy college football. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Reaction Score
We don't play them much in Football, but IIRC we did beat them a few years ago.
Thank you for that. Finished Weis off.
Problem is at least Weis loved ND, BK is just kinda of a jerk.

Reaction Score
Thank you for that. Finished Weis off.
Problem is at least Weis loved ND, BK is just kinda of a jerk.

That is a really interesting take on BK. I mean, it's one thing for me to say that, another to start hearing that from the Notre Dame faithful.

I thought Swarbrick was satisfied with the vibe he was getting from the locker room.

Reaction Score
That is a really interesting take on BK. I mean, it's one thing for me to say that, another to start hearing that from the Notre Dame faithful.

I thought Swarbrick was satisfied with the vibe he was getting from the locker room.
Kelly is baaaaaaadddddd, not just coach but I don't like him as a person. He treats players like poop

Reaction Score

Swarbrick is a fool, and having hired Kelly he doesn't want to fire him and admit he made a mistake.

Reaction Score
Kelly is baaaaaaadddddd, not just coach but I don't like him as a person. He treats players like poop

Not true. He's a great guy. Just ask his assistants. I think you guys should keep him forever. :cool:

brian+kelly+david+grimes+notre+dame+temple.jpg

Reaction Score
I can't remember an undefeated ND team. They really have sucked on the field the past few years. A parade of coaches has not helped either. They can't remain independent and keep stinking up the field. That's why they're talking now with the ACC. If they joined the B1G they'd never see post season play again and they know it.

Reaction Score
The Irish are four seasons removed from the BCS Championship game....have had one double digit win season since..and last year was craptastic.

But, if they recruit well, they can rebound...and they had a 2017 class ranked #13 and their 2018 class is currently #5...(Rivals)

Reaction Score
The Irish are four seasons removed from the BCS Championship game....have had one double digit win season since..and last year was craptastic.

But, if they recruit well, they can rebound...and they had a 2017 class ranked #13 and their 2018 class is currently #5...(Rivals)
Don't get too excited about Notre Dame's overall recruiting rating - there's always inflation with them so as to drive mag sales and site clicks.

Reaction Score

Recruiting rankings don't mean sh ****t, just ask Kevin Ollie. Prove it on the field. Willingham, Weiss, Kelly, heck even Bob Diaco can't help them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Talk about a school and a program that is backwards thinking. Lets say Alabama is Amazon. Michigan/Ohio State can be Google. ND is Yahoo. IF they continue to live in the past, they will be left in the dust. Can't wait to see where ND falls 10-15 years from now. My guess is far below most Domers can possibly imagine.

Reaction Score
I can't remember an undefeated ND team. They really have sucked on the field the past few years. A parade of coaches has not helped either. They can't remain independent and keep stinking up the field. That's why they're talking now with the ACC. If they joined the B1G they'd never see post season play again and they know it.

Talk about a school and a program that is backwards thinking. Lets say Alabama is Amazon. Michigan/Ohio State can be Google. ND is Yahoo. IF they continue to live in the past, they will be left in the dust. Can't wait to see where ND falls 10-15 years from now. My guess is far below most Domers can possibly imagine.

When was Michigan's last consensus title, again? So who is living in the past? Hire a good coach at a good program and you'll win- simple as that. Part of the issue is scheduling. Michigan "vetoed" ND's Big 10 membership bid in 1926. The consequence of this was that ND was locked out of its natural landing spot and had to develop rivalries with other schools, such as Stanford, USC, and Navy. Most schools' main rival is either in-state or in-conference, or both. All of ND's main rivals are in other conferences and other states. Joining a conference would make keeping up those games difficult.

In any case, the value of the brand is not particularly determined by championships. Some of the most valuable brands in sports have had extremely long hiatuses between titles: see the Red Sox (1918-2004), the Cubs (1908-2016), the Cowboys (1995-present), Alabama football (1992-2009), Ohio State football (1970-2002), Michigan football (1948-present), and Texas football (1970-2005).

The ability to succeed as an independent is based on the ability to command viewership on NBC. If the viewers aren't there, NBC won't sign the contract. People resent the fact that ND hasn't been "relevant" but still draws viewers. And many more people in Chicago cared about the Cubs rather than the White Sox prior to last year, even though the White Sox had been more successful. That's just the way it goes.

Reaction Score
ND is not joining the ACC ever. HOWEVER If they did there's a 97% percent chance UConn comes with them. Only other realistic contenders are Cincy and the directional FL schools. I don't see Miami or FSU wanting to legitimize the other schools by welcoming them into the league and while Cincy is always solid in FB and MBB they just don't have the cache we do. While they'd be a Midwest partner to ND and UL I don't see it. Maybe Houston gets a half look but although they are in one of the biggest markets in the country they are like the 5th most popular team in that market. ECU is NC St with worse academics. Temple will always come up in this type of discussion but their commitment to athletics is very suspect. They don't even play baseball anymore which is a very popular sport in the ACC and oh btw UConn has a damn good program going. Long story short; if ND joins the ACC, yes UConn is a shoe-in.
Don't hold your breath.

Reaction Score
When was Michigan's last consensus title, again? So who is living in the past? Hire a good coach at a good program and you'll win- simple as that. Part of the issue is scheduling. Michigan "vetoed" ND's Big 10 membership bid in 1926. The consequence of this was that ND was locked out of its natural landing spot and had to develop rivalries with other schools, such as Stanford, USC, and Navy. Most schools' main rival is either in-state or in-conference, or both. All of ND's main rivals are in other conferences and other states. Joining a conference would make keeping up those games difficult.

In any case, the value of the brand is not particularly determined by championships. Some of the most valuable brands in sports have had extremely long hiatuses between titles: see the Red Sox (1918-2004), the Cubs (1908-2016), the Cowboys (1995-present), Alabama football (1992-2009), Ohio State football (1970-2002), Michigan football (1948-present), and Texas football (1970-2005).

The ability to succeed as an independent is based on the ability to command viewership on NBC. If the viewers aren't there, NBC won't sign the contract. People resent the fact that ND hasn't been "relevant" but still draws viewers. And many more people in Chicago cared about the Cubs rather than the White Sox prior to last year, even though the White Sox had been more successful. That's just the way it goes.

Not sure why you want to exclude the 1997 title.

No one ever did Notre Dame a bigger favor than Michigan coach Fielding Yost keeping Notre Dame independent and traveling the country.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you want to exclude the 1997 title.

No one ever did Notre Dame a bigger favor than Michigan coach Fielding Yost keeping Notre Dame independent and traveling the country.

The 1997 title was not a consensus title. Michigan claims it, sure. Alabama claims the 1973 title. Etc. It's .5 of a title.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom