Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member

Reaction Score
There are problems in South Bend, NBC is not going to renew, so ND wants in to the ACC now.
If they could back out now they would, they overpaid just like ESPN did.
backstroking.gif

Reaction Score
I stayed away from the ND/Brando talk because I can't see it happening anytime soon but it got me thinking about their TV contract. They are with NBC through 2025 but are they screwed afterwards?
NBC was bidding against ESPN and Fox last time around but since ND has to join the ACC if they are going to join any conference before 2036 why would ESPN or Fox bid for them? ESPN would already own them if they are forced to join the ACC and the Big Ten can’t get them until 2036. The way I see it NBC is the only game in town if they want to remain independent (don’t see CBS bidding since they have the best SEC games already).

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I stayed away from the ND/Brando talk because I can't see it happening anytime soon but it got me thinking about their TV contract. They are with NBC through 2025 but are they screwed afterwards?
NBC was bidding against ESPN and Fox last time around but since ND has to join the ACC if they are going to join any conference before 2036 why would ESPN or Fox bid for them? ESPN would already own them if they are forced to join the ACC and the Big Ten can’t get them until 2036. The way I see it NBC is the only game in town if they want to remain independent (don’t see CBS bidding since they have the best SEC games already).

There has never been a bidding war. NBC and ND just renew their deals.

Neither ESPN nor anyone else has ever bid on the deal. ND has never gone on the market with this deal.

NBC and ND have a contractual relationship that began in 1991 and continues through 2025.

It has always been the only game in town, that is not going to change.

Reaction Score
There has never been a bidding war. NBC and ND just renew their deals.

Neither ESPN nor anyone else has ever bid on the deal. ND has never gone on the market with this deal.

NBC and ND have a contractual relationship that began in 1991 and continues through 2025.

It has always been the only game in town, that is not going to change.

I think you missed my point. There may not have been an outright bidding war but NBC had to give ND a competitive contract because there was nothing keeping ND from going to Fox or ESPN. In 2025 (or perhaps sooner) NBC, in my opinion, has more leverage since the alternative for ND is to join the ACC full time.

Reaction Score
ESPN would sign the Irish just to have the ability to control most if ND inventory across all it's platforms

Reaction Score
I think you missed my point. There may not have been an outright bidding war but NBC had to give ND a competitive contract because there was nothing keeping ND from going to Fox or ESPN. In 2025 (or perhaps sooner) NBC, in my opinion, has more leverage since the alternative for ND is to join the ACC full time.

I didn't miss your point. My statement is that the 2015 renewal is the same as the 1995 one, and every other one. It will likely be the same for the 2025 renewal.

ND and NBC really like the deal and will renew it in the same manner as before. There is no need for "leverage" here. Both sides want to keep the deal with each other.

Reaction Score
Isn't Silicon sand
In the Ocean,lakes, Ponds or even rivers the sand is normally where:
1 Top
2 Bottom
Sand can be silicon.
Silicone contains oxygen.
Sorry, back to 63% ACC member ND.

Reaction Score
The New ACC North Division

Syracuse
Boston College
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Norte Dame
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Does has a old Big East tone to it, really need to make this happen.

With 6 straight losing seasons in football and 14 gridiron wins in the last 4 years, it ain't happening.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was soooo very long ago.
Well to be fair, it's been over 4 years since they announced the renewal. And a lot has changed since. For one, ND is now getting lapped by closer to $10+ million compared to other P5 teams. And obviously the market has shifted in an as yet undetermined way. Will you all ever join? Unforseeable by us on the outside. But plausible. More plausible than it seemed 4 years ago.

Reaction Score
Dick Weiss‏ @HoopsWeiss 56m 56 minutes ago
tim brando of fox reporting notre dame in conversations to become full time acc member.

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 13m 13 minutes ago
Replying to @HoopsWeiss
Let's pump the breaks here Hoops! I've stated there have been discussions, informal yes, but it's my strong opinion it's a matter of time.

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 1h 1 hour ago
Noticed Brian Kelly told Rotary Club His Dept. "Values Independence". A statement that belies comments privately & on record in past to me.

Tim Brando‏ @TimBrando 1h 1 hour ago
I'll repeat one last time. There was NEVER a report by me. So ND bloggers and local television stations. I answered a ? on a radio show..ok?

OK!

Reaction Score
How is ND independent? Aren't all of their other sports officially in the ACC? Is ND considered independent just because their football team can schedule 5 or 6 out of conference games instead of the usual 3 or 4 every other team is limited to? Is that what independence amounts to? A few extra out of conference games a year for the football team?

Reaction Score
How is ND independent? Aren't all of their other sports officially in the ACC? Is ND considered independent just because their football team can schedule 5 or 6 out of conference games instead of the usual 3 or 4 every other team is limited to? Is that what independence amounts to? A few extra out of conference games a year for the football team?
I agree, with both men's and women's basketball playing in the conference tournament, saying the school is an independent is laughable. IIRC the men's team won the ACC conference championship a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
The juxtaposition (big word for me) of the arguments "oh yes, we are completely and equally contractually bound to the ACC" vs. the concurrent argument "independence or death (preferable over the Big Ten) for ND," is a curious one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom