Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member | The Boneyard

Report: Notre Dame in Talks to Join ACC as Full Member

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why now? There is no reason they would do this now.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ND's past history shows the ND will take care of ND. Nobody else matters.

But realistically, ND football is living on its reputation. Even though they have been in the nationl discussion, they have only been to 1 national championship game in a long while. And they got their butt kicked but good.

So while I like the thought of ND full time in the ACC, I don't see it happening. And if they do go, I don't see UConn being the 16th member. ACC history show us that one too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think Aman went a little bit overboard with the title, Brando said there were "conversations" among ND / ACC people. That sounds similar to having "talks", but technically those are pretty different things - the former being preliminary and open-ended and the former being more formal and pressing.

Reaction Score
ND's past history shows the ND will take care of ND. Nobody else matters.

But realistically, ND football is living on its reputation. Even though they have been in the nationl discussion, they have only been to 1 national championship game in a long while. And they got their butt kicked but good.

So while I like the thought of ND full time in the ACC, I don't see it happening. And if they do go, I don't see UConn being the 16th member. ACC history show us that one too.

I didn't realize it was ND's job to give UConn a competent football program. Every school takes care of itself; some schools have more power than others. So long as ND has a product that can command its own national television contract it doesn't matter how "relevant" it is or how well it does in the national championship game. The Red Sox and Cubs (before their WS wins) didn't win much either, but that doesn't mean they were less valuable to the league than teams with small fanbases and low TV ratings.

If UConn football is good, everything else will fall into place. Nobody will care that BC and Syracuse don't want us. Make the rest of the league want us.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think Aman went a little bit overboard with the title, Brando said there were "conversations" among ND / ACC people. That sounds similar to having "talks", but technically those are pretty different things - the former being preliminary and open-ended and the former being more formal and pressing.
ND is not joining the ACC ever. HOWEVER If they did there's a 97% percent chance UConn comes with them. Only other realistic contenders are Cincy and the directional FL schools. I don't see Miami or FSU wanting to legitimize the other schools by welcoming them into the league and while Cincy is always solid in FB and MBB they just don't have the cache we do. While they'd be a Midwest partner to ND and UL I don't see it. Maybe Houston gets a half look but although they are in one of the biggest markets in the country they are like the 5th most popular team in that market. ECU is NC St with worse academics. Temple will always come up in this type of discussion but their commitment to athletics is very suspect. They don't even play baseball anymore which is a very popular sport in the ACC and oh btw UConn has a damn good program going. Long story short; if ND joins the ACC, yes UConn is a shoe-in.

Reaction Score
One factor that MIGHT make Norte Dame join ACC all sports is the new play-off system, Norte Dame will have to join sooner or later to be in the Power 5 play-offs.

Let's face it BC sports is at a all time low. They need local rivalry's adding UConn would help BC, Syracuse and Pitt. Bring down travel cost and get bigger ACC exposure to the Northeast, New York cable markets.

Reaction Score
One factor that MIGHT make Norte Dame join ACC all sports is the new play-off system, Norte Dame will have to join sooner or later to be in the Power 5 play-offs.

Let's face it BC sports is at a all time low. They need local rivalry's adding UConn would help BC, Syracuse and Pitt. Bring down travel cost and get bigger ACC exposure to the Northeast, New York cable markets.

Add us would not bring down travel cost for a majority of the ACC schools, just the ones in the Northeast (maybe) and there are only two in the Northeast.

The thing that we need to fear is if FSU and Miami want other FL schools out of the ACC, and BC and Syracuse want us out of the ACC, they may compromise and settle on Cinn.

Reaction Score
This will come as a surprise to no one but -- there's no serious mention of this on two ND premium sites (yes I'm a die hard ND football fan -- apologies to those I'm offending) other than a brief mention by one of the mods basically saying that it's going to happen so sooner is better. If this story had real legs there'd be a 20 page thread on both sites.

Another tidbit, someone on the Rivals main board, claiming to be in the know said that the Big 10 would be adding OU and Texas in the near future. I know this guy has 0 credibility because he also mentioned that the BIG was going to drop NU which is asinine.

Personally, my opinion is that at best some king makers are floating ideas to their sources in hopes of going all Littlefinger -- and at worst we now know that Brando is one of those West Virginia posters.

Reaction Score
Another tidbit, someone on the Rivals main board, claiming to be in the know said that the Big 10 would be adding OU and Texas in the near future. I know this guy has 0 credibility because he also mentioned that the BIG was going to drop NU which is asinine.

Which NU? I assume you mean Northwestern. Yeah, they're not going anywhere. Neither is Nebraska.

Edit: Ok. That's crazy. He said Nebraska?

Reaction Score
This will come as a surprise to no one but -- there's no serious mention of this on two ND premium sites (yes I'm a die hard ND football fan -- apologies to those I'm offending) other than a brief mention by one of the mods basically saying that it's going to happen so sooner is better. If this story had real legs there'd be a 20 page thread on both sites.

Personally, my opinion is that at best some king makers are floating ideas to their sources in hopes of going all Littlefinger -- and at worst we now know that Brando is one of those West Virginia posters.

Only place I have seen it is a alumni board click here

But to be fair we as ND fans have pretty much ignore this in general. We just float along usually and ignore the chatter(unless your Terry and myself).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which NU? I assume you mean Northwestern. Yeah, they're not going anywhere. Neither is Nebraska.

Edit: Ok. That's crazy. He said Nebraska?
Most ND fans are new to realignment.
I kid EROCK

Reaction Score
I kid EROCK

No, the dude on the mainboard actually did say Nebraska. Someone else cited Nebraska's ties to California. Most everyone shot the concept down.

Reaction Score
No, the dude on the mainboard actually did say Nebraska. Someone else cited Nebraska's ties to California. Most everyone shot the concept down.
That is the Dude of WVU type statement. Like when he stated that the Big was looking at Buffalo. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I kid EROCK
Us UConn fans have been at this for many years. we have scar tissue to prove it.
We also have a resident ND fan. ( Terry ) who has lectured us for years on the importance ,almost to a sacred ,regard for Independence on ND p's part
I've been away from this board since the B12 fiasco so I'm not sure if he is still here.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I didn't realize it was ND's job to give UConn a competent football program. Every school takes care of itself; some schools have more power than others. So long as ND has a product that can command its own national television contract it doesn't matter how "relevant" it is or how well it does in the national championship game. The Red Sox and Cubs (before their WS wins) didn't win much either, but that doesn't mean they were less valuable to the league than teams with small fanbases and low TV ratings.

If UConn football is good, everything else will fall into place. Nobody will care that BC and Syracuse don't want us. Make the rest of the league want us.

Never said is was ND's job to give UConn a decent Fb program. Don't know where you got that conclusion.

I'll say it again - ND will take care of ND. ND doesn't care about anyone else, including the ACC.

The ACC has passed us over twice. I don't see us in the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom