Remember this about the new logo | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Remember this about the new logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This idea that they did all this market testing is just not supported by reality of how these things are done. they are done with a small group, probably from within the athletic department and more likely within sports marketing. they show a bunch of concepts, and the designers pick the one they favor and push it to the committee. I've been through this process several times and I can tell you that's how it happens. It was some committee of mid-level bureaucrats who reviewed it. Warde Manuel probably spent 11 minutes on this. Susan Herbst less than 5 and Ollie and Geno about 1 minute between them. In all those cases they got a presentation of the final choice. I doubt if Nike tested this with anyone other than the bureaucrats. Even if you read the puff pieces, they talk about getting input on what they needed, and it was in essence a less friendly husky, not working with all those folks. So they got a generic clip art piece. With a toupee. Named Donald. But i suspect it is will be de-emphasized in favor of the UConn brand anyway, and will be retired within a couple of years. A true New Coke moment.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yes, everyone should admit it was a mistake. Not a huge mistake or an insurmountable mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

As I said in an earlier thread. I've been through three different branding projects. They are all the same. A small group meets with the designer for about an hour to discuss parameters. Designer goes away, develops concepts. Group comments of preferred concept, designer finalizes design.

It doesn't take very long once it starts. The initial input and the person in the room making the decision are the.critical factors. The brand designer is just a vendor. Garbage in, garbage out.

Ive never been through a rebranding that was that simplified and didn't include any market research. Ive been through a number of them and its a long, painful process that includes redesign after redesign with pretty significant market testing. My experiences were in tourism and golf so its a pretty limited sample set but Id be surprised if UCONN was so limited in its efforts

Reaction Score
Ive never been through a rebranding that was that simplified and didn't include any market research. Ive been through a number of them and its a long, painful process that includes redesign after redesign with pretty significant market testing. My experiences were in tourism and golf so its a pretty limited sample set but Id be surprised if UCONN was so limited in its efforts

Market testing or market research?

Check this out by Reebok: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...n-designed-buffalo-sabres-most-132535273.html

Reaction Score
Tons of research, never wrong??!!

Come on!!

I've said this a number of times. When ESPN screwed up the brackets and put UConn's logo next to Duke's name, everyone knew the logo = UConn. Everyone knows the white husky. Deny it all you want.

The white husky logo has equity, but they weren't using it on the football side, and that's part of the problem.

When ESPN shows our logo in hoops, it's the white husky and gets recognized like you said. When they show our logo in football, it's the block "C" - something that few outside of UConn or college football circles would readily identify.

Reaction Score
Their "point" isn't that they prefer an all-white logo, its that they think Nike/UConn are purposefully crapping on Jonathan and eliminating an all-white husky because they're idiots, with no regard for the university.

Quite simply: the people making these decisions are a hell of a lot smarter than the three of you, who throw out ad-hominem attacks that are based in neither reality, nor fact, for the sake of being confrontational.

The second, the very second, any of you wants to engage in reasoned debate, I will be here waiting.

By the way- my parents bought me Coke stock right when new Coke came out and I was 3. The stock has split five times since then and turned over a triple-digit percentage profit.

New Coke worked out fantastic for Coca-Cola, and paid for my education AND THEN SOME.

You should be PRAYING the new logo works out for UConn as well as New Coke did for Coca-Cola.

First off, don't throw me in the same camp as the people who are freaking out about Jonathon. I am in my own camp. It's the IDGAF what logo we have, but I'm sick of seeing Dbags act like their the god's gift on the boneyard, camp. I probably shouldn't have directed my distaste at huskyhawk b/c he seems pretty reasonable, but rather at you ZLS b/c u think your awesome enough to call ppl "idiots" b/c some ppl like to hold on to tradition. Get over yourself and realize ppl are different from you. For the last damn time, I agree with u and huskyhawk more than freescooter and others, but to act like their point is obsolete is ignorance as I have stated before. Idk why it is so hard for you to accept other ppl have subjective minds. This isn't a 2+2=4 matter. This is an opinionated topic, which is why when I see ppl like you who act like your opinion is 2+2=4, you hold a problem with me, and I like to call it out. As for debate, I don't care enough about the topic of "Uconn's logo" to get into an online debate over it. I prefer to debate politics and social issues. In fact, I think anyone on here getting into a debate over a logo is kind of silly really. Especially those who think that their opinions are pure facts when it comes to a damn logo.

Reaction Score
Yes, everyone should admit it was a mistake. Not a huge mistake or an insurmountable mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

Or maybe your opinion is just an opinion and not a representation of some Immutable Truth About White Huskies Being The Only Fair Representation of UConn.

I cannot and will not admit it was a mistake but I prefer this logo/husky.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife had to say home sick today. I woke up looking over and there she was in a long-sleeve tee and on the arm was an embroidered Jonathan with his happy face and red tongue. He looked so sweet and soothing. What a way to start the day. Of course her snoring took something away from my emotion of seeing Jonathan.

I don't know what waking up and seeing the new logo will feel like.

Reaction Score
Both. Why do i care about the attached article? Because people hate the Sabres logo? In a brief scan i didn't see anything about research/testing or the lack thereof.

He went through the process they used. He was on the Reebok side. After Reebok let it go to the Sabres, you think the Sabres did market research? NO! In fact, he claims the Sabres changed an aspect of it. So, apparently, it's not done in the way you imagine.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I personally got emails with brand surveys from the school more than a year ago, and they said they did tons of research. I put those things together to create a supported idea that a lot of research was done.

The fact that the school decided to change the logo leads me to believe that the white husky was proven not to be our nationally prominent main brand mark.

These assumptions are much more supported by circumstantial evidence than the comments from the sky is falling, blue toupee crowd.

I agree, this is a place to vent, but it's getting to the point of being absurd.
Just curious, did the brand survey ask any white husky/blue husky questions?

Do you have a link to a source that says they did "tons of research" or are you relying of the statment that (they've) been working on it for 18 months?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Oh, god.

It's a duck*ing logo....grown men crying about a stuffed animal.

You all should be neutered.

On a more pleasant note - HFD has to be chewing his own hands off knowing he can't post his thoughts about it.

I was just thinking to myself that whoever has HFD's "muzzle" right now, could they lift it for one 7,853 post on the logo issue?

I've been dying to hear it!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He went through the process they used. He was on the Reebok side. After Reebok let it go to the Sabres, you think the Sabres did market research? NO! In fact, he claims the Sabres changed an aspect of it. So, apparently, it's not done in the way you imagine.
Not the way I "imagine" it , the way Ive done it. Ive been involved in a few major rebrandings and that is how they worked. I can't speak for why the Sabres did theirs the way they did nor can I assume which one of us did it the more common way.

Reaction Score
i give a big boo to the new, non-white logo. how crappy that they didn't even do 2 minutes of homework at nike to see that our husky is uniquely all white. i think a high schooler could have come up with this logo. epic fail.

Reaction Score
Not the way I "imagine" it , the way Ive done it. Ive been involved in a few major rebrandings and that is how they worked. I can't speak for why the Sabres did theirs the way they did nor can I assume which one of us did it the more common way.

People market test products they want to sell--with logos and brands? How many times have seen awful logos and brands? You're saying those are market tested? Didn't a F500 company just put out something ridiculously awful? Many of these efforts are closed door affairs because they want to make a big bang announcement.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Oh, god.

On a more pleasant note - HFD has to be chewing his own hands off knowing he can't post his thoughts about it.

What else you got chief? Crying about Modern vs Pepe's? Crying about conference realignment? Crying about monitoring the donuts? Crying about begging harder vs not begging quite enough? It as good a way to kill a couple of days during the off season as any. If you've got something better, let's hear it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
People market test products they want to sell--with logos and brands? How many times have seen awful logos and brands? You're saying those are market tested? Didn't a F500 company just put out something ridiculously awful? Many of these efforts are closed door affairs because they want to make a big bang announcement.

Even the "closed door" affairs ive been involved with have included market research and testing. Some people do it other ways. Congrats.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Something that's easily forgotten:

UConn asked for Nike to evaluate its brand--word marks, logos, mascots, etc. Nike releases this logo. Remember that Nike has one of (if not) the most iconic logo in the world. These marketing people know what the hell they're doing.

So for those who are a little uneasy about this rebranding, trust that it's coming from people who know these things better than most in the world.

I like the new UConn logo but you realize Phil Knight paid one of his accounting students like $50 for the Nike logo, right?

Reaction Score
Even the "closed door" affairs ive been involved with have included market research and testing. Some people do it other ways. Congrats.

Given the shoddy results (not talking about UConn) clearly these people are not on the ball. In UConn's case, the market is the Husky fan.

Reaction Score
What else you got chief? Crying about Modern vs Pepe's? Crying about conference realignment? Crying about monitoring the donuts? Crying about begging harder vs not begging quite enough? It as good a way to kill a couple of days during the off season as any. If you've got something better, let's hear it.

Especially given all the pissing and moaning with the AAC. Yes we get it, it sux. But it really never ends.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Ask non hardcore fans if they like the Lycan. Ask. Work, family, folks who like UConn sports but aren't BY ers. Alums somewhat into UConn.
....Most hate it. Think it's a fail. And I'd say mAkority think the new dog sux.
And I wasn't consulted. I got a coin for 10 yrs at the Rent. No questionnaire about my opinion on a new logo/mascot. I do not think they had input from anyone outside Oregon

Reaction Score
Crying about Modern versus Pepe's? Damn, everyone knows Sally's has the best apizza!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Oh, god.

Poor Dan lol

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was just thinking to myself that whoever has HFD's "muzzle" right now, could they lift it for one 7,853 post on the logo issue?

I've been dying to hear it!

I own that muzzle.

I unmuzzled him for one post, but the fruitcup missed his window and it's shut tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom