Remember this about the new logo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Remember this about the new logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow finally found a Uconn board. Been one of the lone husky fans on cbssports for too long. Anyways I don't live in CT anymore, but am quite surprised at the masses of people up in arms over this. I knew that some people wouldn't like the change and while I absolutely love the old logo, it was just outdated and was time to move on. Just as i turn around and look at the 1999 pennant proudly hanging on my wall- the swoosh style Uconn on it just seems outdated. I like that this new logo is more ferocious and sleek than the previous. People just need to accept the fact that it is time to move on and this new sleek brand that unites all of our sports was sorely needed. Blue or White i really don't know or care,but what i do know is that this logo is perfect for this age. As much as we all loved the 90s...it is time to move on.

Reaction Score
Something that's easily forgotten:

UConn asked for Nike to evaluate its brand--word marks, logos, mascots, etc. Nike releases this logo. Remember that Nike has one of (if not) the most iconic logo in the world. These marketing people know what the hell they're doing.

So for those who are a little uneasy about this rebranding, trust that it's coming from people who know these things better than most in the world.

Yep, and Nike has made errors in brands including its own. And they threw away what makes the UConn Husky unique.

The blind faith in Nike reminds me of the posters who have blind faith the coaches opinion of players.

One other thing. It is the university's fault that they did not specify that the Husky remain white as a mandatory of the logo redesign.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wow finally found a Uconn board. Been one of the lone husky fans on cbssports for too long. Anyways I don't live in CT anymore, but am quite surprised at the masses of people up in arms over this. I knew that some people wouldn't like the change and while I absolutely love the old logo, it was just outdated and was time to move on. Just as i turn around and look at the 1999 pennant proudly hanging on my wall- the swoosh style Uconn on it just seems outdated. I like that this new logo is more ferocious and sleek than the previous. People just need to accept the fact that it is time to move on and this new sleek brand that unites all of our sports was sorely needed. Blue or White i really don't know or care,but what i do know is that this logo is perfect for this age. As much as we all loved the 90s...it is time to move on.

I don't know if I should congratulate you for finding us, or apologize in advance.

Either way, welcome.

Reaction Score
Yep, and Nike has made errors in brands including its own. And they threw away what makes the UConn Husky unique.

The blind faith in Nike reminds me of the posters who have blind faith the coaches opinion of players.

One other thing. It is the university's fault that they did not specify that the Husky remain white as a mandatory of the logo redesign.
This is a cartoon which could have been drawn by a talented 10 year old with a box of crayons. Nothing special about it and it ignores more than 75 years of tradition. The decision to always get a white Husky as a mascot was intentional. It wasn't happenstance. And what's with the damned red everywhere? UConn is blue and white. I can imagine Nike putting us in red uniforms if it suits there purposes. They've already put the basketball teams in grey and pink. So why the heck not? I'm also not sure why there was a need for a logo redesign. I attend lots of UConn athletic events, a few other events, and on the scale of things, redesigning the Husky was way below getting into a decent conference, getting an offense for the football team, and getting the basketball center build, even hiring new coaches for mens and womens hockey and deciding what to do about Freitas.

Palatine, I guess since we're going into a non-entity of a conference, they figured we might as well land a non-entity of a mascot. Maybe people will forget its UConn stuck with the likes of Memphis and Tulane.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His point was that they had to return to the old Coke formula....And by making that point he is implying we might eventually do that with our new logo, returning to the old logo, that is. It's a valid point. I haven't read any other posts so Idk if there was any "bitching" going on. I am starting to like the new logo, but if you fail to see freescooter's perspective then that is ignorance, you don't have to agree with him though. Just recognize he has a point.

Except that you do know that the new Coke formula is used on Diet Coke right? And that ended up being a grand slam. Coke Zero is essentially classic coke in diet.

Nike didn't release this logo, UConn did. UConn paid for it and hired the guy that drew it. Nike is consulting on brand coordination. I am sure UConn used their expertise and input. But the decision was UConn's. The old logo didn't look like a husky. Penfields all white one looks like a white wolf. Our new logo is unique and still does not resemble any other husky logo.

Reaction Score
Except that you do know that the new Coke formula is used on Diet Coke right? And that ended up being a grand slam. Coke Zero is essentially classic coke in diet.

Nike didn't release this logo, UConn did. UConn paid for it and hired the guy that drew it. Nike is consulting on brand coordination. I am sure UConn used their expertise and input. But the decision was UConn's. The old logo didn't look like a husky. Penfields all white one looks like a white wolf. Our new logo is unique and still does not resemble any other husky logo.
Actually Nike designed the new logo, supposedly at UConn's request. Logo design is one of the services the uniform companies provide for their customers. Addidas does it, too. They did perhaps the worst redesign in history, the Buffaslug, but toupee dog is pretty bad. It is some sort of generic canine. Could be a wolf. Could be a Husky. Could be a German Shepard. Could be Donald Trump.

Reaction Score
This is a cartoon which could have been drawn by a talented 10 year old with a box of crayons. Nothing special about it and it ignores more than 75 years of tradition. The decision to always get a white Husky as a mascot was intentional. It wasn't happenstance. And what's with the damned red everywhere? UConn is blue and white. I can imagine Nike putting us in red uniforms if it suits there purposes. They've already put the basketball teams in grey and pink. So why the heck not? I'm also not sure why there was a need for a logo redesign. I attend lots of UConn athletic events, a few other events, and on the scale of things, redesigning the Husky was way below getting into a decent conference, getting an offense for the football team, and getting the basketball center build, even hiring new coaches for mens and womens hockey and deciding what to do about Freitas.

Palatine, I guess since we're going into a non-entity of a conference, they figured we might as well land a non-entity of a mascot. Maybe people will forget its UConn stuck with the likes of Memphis and Tulane.

Oh, right - a 10-year-old with crayons. It's really that bad. Like the previous logo of a tongue-wagging happy doggie was a work of art and didn't look cartoonish at all. Jesus.

As for all the red, did you happen to notice that our basketball teams and some of our other sports teams have had red in their uniforms for years?

Reaction Score
Free scooter you do realize that the husky is what 20 years old at most in its current variation? It was our success that made the logo what it is not the other way around. When we continue to win championships, it will be forgotten.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Nicely put. Welcome!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
And it still is.

What's your point? I mean, besides bitching about everything and refusing to ever admit you were wrong about anything?

Spend the time bitchin about the new logo figuring out how you can make money.

That you can donate to our Athletic department.

That way, you can actually do some good instead of whining like a little girl.

Reaction Score

I think that misses the point. I don't see very much bitching about the need for a more contemporaneity logo with little more attitude. The problem is completely dumping the WHITE dog. Which has heritage and equity.

I notice Nike hasn't eliminated their swoosh which was done on a kitchen table by a guy making sneakers on a waffle iron.

Reaction Score
I think that misses the point. I don't see very much bitching about the need for a more contemporaneity logo with little more attitude. The problem is completely dumping the WHITE dog. Which has heritage and equity.

I notice Nike hasn't eliminated their swoosh which was done on a kitchen table by a guy making sneakers on a waffle iron.
Exactly. I happen to think the current Husky could use some updating, too. But it could have been done without turning its back on 75 years of tradition. They have basically thrown out all the equity the white Husky earned over the past 25 years in particular, for a clipart piece. Donald the Toupee Dog.

Reaction Score

As i have said, i really don't care if it is white or not, either is fine. Especially considering our main color on virtually everyone of our jerseys is navy blue.

Reaction Score

Thank you HuskyHawk. You and ZLS (based on this thread) seem to be the kind of guy's who have to one-up and argue for the case of arguing. Of course I am aware of all the different coke's. I don't live under a damn rock. But in the past, when Coke tried to run a new formula with their classic coke they tried to use sugar cane instead of their usual corn syrup. It didn't work and they changed it back. Holy hell I'm cool with the new Uconn logo give me a gosh damn break. All I said was freescooter has a point. Which he does. It's amazing that people refuse to see anyone else's perspective if it doesn't directly align with their point of view. I see your perspective too and I actually agree with you much more than freescooter. Are u done trying to argue your point now? Because I get it. You and ZLS just need to work on not being jackasses when you argue and realizing other ppl have opinions. That's the gist of what I am trying to get at.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thank you HuskyHawk. You and ZLS (based on this thread) seem to be the kind of guy's who have to one-up and argue for the case of arguing. Of course I am aware of all the different coke's. I don't live under a damn rock. But in the past, when Coke tried to run a new formula with their classic coke they tried to use sugar cane instead of their usual corn syrup. It didn't work and they changed it back. Holy hell I'm cool with the new Uconn logo give me a gosh damn break. All I said was freescooter has a point. Which he does. It's amazing that people refuse to see anyone else's perspective if it doesn't directly align with their point of view. I see your perspective too and I actually agree with you much more than freescooter. Are u done trying to argue your point now? Because I get it. You and ZLS just need to work on not being jackasses when you argue and realizing other ppl have opinions. That's the gist of what I am trying to get at.

If you think I'm one of the more argumentative folks here you haven't been around long enough. I am just shocked by the vitriol for the new logo. This is no new coke mistake.

It was done by Fraser Davidson. Google the guy. He's the top sports logo guy out there it seems. From what I can see almost every non UConn fan thinks it is fantastic and a huge upgrade. That makes me think that nostalgia is the root of many of the complaints. I understand the nostalgia, I do. But I also think UConn needs to change things up, including a more exciting image.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

zls44

Reaction Score

Wrong.

zls44

Reaction Score

Their "point" isn't that they prefer an all-white logo, its that they think Nike/UConn are purposefully crapping on Jonathan and eliminating an all-white husky because they're idiots, with no regard for the university.

Quite simply: the people making these decisions are a hell of a lot smarter than the three of you, who throw out ad-hominem attacks that are based in neither reality, nor fact, for the sake of being confrontational.

The second, the very second, any of you wants to engage in reasoned debate, I will be here waiting.

By the way- my parents bought me Coke stock right when new Coke came out and I was 3. The stock has split five times since then and turned over a triple-digit percentage profit.

New Coke worked out fantastic for Coca-Cola, and paid for my education AND THEN SOME.

You should be PRAYING the new logo works out for UConn as well as New Coke did for Coca-Cola.

Reaction Score

It is truly amazing to me how many people have latched on to this absurd notion that our "white husky" was this nation-wide, extremely well known brand mark that people identified our school with and loved. There is literally nothing to support this, because it isn't true. Nike AND UConn, who actually do this for a living and did tons of research, found this to be completely false (as evidence by the new, awesome, logo).

I have not talked to a single non-alum who didn't like the new logo. I have even heard a few "that is way better than the one you guys used to have". Not one person has said anything about it not being white because IT MOSTLY IS. It doesn't have a "blue toupee" (can't believe I even acknowledged that). It has blue on the top of the head in a fur pattern for contrast.

The sooner everyone sucks it up and realizes that, even though it may not be YOUR EXACT CHOICE, it is still a pretty awesome logo and that it is BETTER FOR THE SCHOOL if we get behind it and support it, the better off we will be. It's not going to change any time soon.

End rant.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is truly amazing to me how many people have latched on to this absurd notion that our "white husky" was this nation-wide, extremely well known brand mark that people identified our school with and loved. There is literally nothing to support this, because it isn't true. Nike AND UConn, who actually do this for a living and did tons of research, found this to be completely false (as evidence by the new, awesome, logo).
Except that "(t)here is literally nothing to support this" either. I'm not opposed to the new logo (although, I'd have preferred to have stayed with the white husky, all things being equal) but your assumption that "tons of research" was done is just that, an assumption, and is no more valid than the assumptions that you are critizing. Personally, I think it is more likely that Nike had several variations of the logo and this was one the that the powers that be chose.

In any event, I don't see how it hurts to let people vent. Beats another "best in Connecticut" thread during the off season.

Reaction Score

I have not talked to a single non-alum who didn't like the new logo. I have even heard a few "that is way better than the one you guys used to have". Not one person has said anything about it not being white because IT MOSTLY IS. It doesn't have a "blue toupee" (can't believe I even acknowledged that). It has blue on the top of the head in a fur pattern for contrast.

The sooner everyone sucks it up and realizes that, even though it may not be YOUR EXACT CHOICE, it is still a pretty awesome logo and that it is BETTER FOR THE SCHOOL if we get behind it and support it, the better off we will be. It's not going to change any time soon.

End rant.

Tons of research, never wrong??!!

Come on!!

I've said this a number of times. When ESPN screwed up the brackets and put UConn's logo next to Duke's name, everyone knew the logo = UConn. Everyone knows the white husky. Deny it all you want.

Reaction Score
Tons of research, never wrong??!!

Come on!!

I've said this a number of times. When ESPN screwed up the brackets and put UConn's logo next to Duke's name, everyone knew the logo = UConn. Everyone knows the white husky. Deny it all you want.

I never said they are never wrong, but they far and away the market leader in athletic apparel for a reason: they are really good at what they do.
UConn did at least 2 years worth of research on this. It wasn't a choice made on a whim.

The white Husky def has some equity. It is absolutely not our primary identifier nationally. That would be "UConn". We were so terrible at this in the past that we really don't have one brand identifier besides our name. Hopefully this helps.

Reaction Score
Except that "(t)here is literally nothing to support this" either. I'm not opposed to the new logo (although, I'd have preferred to have stayed with the white husky, all things being equal) but your assumption that "tons of research" was done is just that, an assumption, and is no more valid than the assumptions that you are critizing. Personally, I think it is more likely that Nike had several variations of the logo and this was one the that the powers that be chose.

In any event, I don't see how it hurts to let people vent. Beats another "best in Connecticut" thread during the off season.

I personally got emails with brand surveys from the school more than a year ago, and they said they did tons of research. I put those things together to create a supported idea that a lot of research was done.

The fact that the school decided to change the logo leads me to believe that the white husky was proven not to be our nationally prominent main brand mark.

These assumptions are much more supported by circumstantial evidence than the comments from the sky is falling, blue toupee crowd.

I agree, this is a place to vent, but it's getting to the point of being absurd.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes, everyone should admit it was a mistake. Not a huge mistake or an insurmountable mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

As I said in an earlier thread. I've been through three different branding projects. They are all the same. A small group meets with the designer for about an hour to discuss parameters. Designer goes away, develops concepts. Group comments of preferred concept, designer finalizes design.

It doesn't take very long once it starts. The initial input and the person in the room making the decision are the.critical factors. The brand designer is just a vendor. Garbage in, garbage out.

I guarantee no one at UCONN insisted on a white dog at the initial meeting and the chooser at some point said, "I like the blue one."

Everything else is just cover story. I am sure the survey results where splintered amongst FB, MBB, and WBB fans. Fuzzy Jonathan make or may not have done well, but no one asked the blue/white question. It just happened.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I never said they are never wrong, but they far and away the market leader in athletic apparel for a reason: they are really good at what they do.
UConn did at least 2 years worth of research on this. It wasn't a choice made on a whim.

The white Husky def has some equity. It is absolutely not our primary identifier nationally. That would be "UConn". We were so terrible at this in the past that we really don't have one brand identifier besides our name. Hopefully this helps.

I don't trust they do any real market research on this because you'd have to target real Husky fans to take into account equity. Maybe 50 people posted in the other thread--could be more--and while 90% of the boneyard liked the new logo prior to Penfield's white husky, the vast majority preferred the white to the new logo for all the reasons mentioned. This is how market testing would have gone if they showed the two huskies side-by-side to Husky fans.

Reaction Score
Maybe Nike is that much better than Adidas and Reebok at marketing. It could very well be. There's a lot of razzle dazzle in that game, less attention to product (I invariably buy Asics because they're better than all the others, but they have practically no branding). But if you look at Reebok's logo efforts, and some f the stuff that came out of adidas recently, it's clear most of this is like marketing and advertising in general. Throw s--- at the wall. Heck, the Oregon State Beaver tells me I shouldn't have too much confidence in Nike.

That being said, Nike's unis and Husky logo are much better than some of the other stuff that's out there, including the Beaver inside the acorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom