Remember this about the new logo | The Boneyard

Remember this about the new logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Something that's easily forgotten:

UConn asked for Nike to evaluate its brand--word marks, logos, mascots, etc. Nike releases this logo. Remember that Nike has one of (if not) the most iconic logo in the world. These marketing people know what the hell they're doing.

So for those who are a little uneasy about this rebranding, trust that it's coming from people who know these things better than most in the world.

Reaction Score

UConn asked for Nike to evaluate its brand--word marks, logos, mascots, etc. Nike releases this logo. Remember that Nike has one of (if not) the most iconic logo in the world. These marketing people know what the hell they're doing.

So for those who are a little uneasy about this rebranding, trust that it's coming from people who know these things better than most in the world.

Meanwhile at Oregon State, Benny the Beaver is begging someone to put one between his eyes before an oak tree starts growing out of him.

Reaction Score
UConn worked with Nike on this for 14 months. If it was that important to keep the husky all-white for tradition's sake, you'd think someone connected with UConn could have hinted it to Nike during development.

Wonder if they did and Nike just shunned it?

Reaction Score
UConn worked with Nike on this for 14 months. If it was that important to keep the husky all-white for tradition's sake, you'd think someone connected with UConn could have hinted it to Nike during development.

Wonder if they did and Nike just shunned it?

Do you really think Nike said "this is your logo - take it or leave it"?

Reaction Score

I can't imagine some of the first prototypes...I'm sure there were some truly terrible ones in there.

Reaction Score

Of course not. That's my point. Keeping an all-white husky wasn't a big concern to UConn's marketing department or athletic department. I personally don't mind much either way, but there seems to be a huge outcry here about breaking from the traditional all-white Jonathan.

Reaction Score
Of course not. That's my point. Keeping an all-white husky wasn't a big concern to UConn's marketing department or athletic department. I personally don't mind much either way, but there seems to be a huge outcry here about breaking from the traditional all-white Jonathan.

Buncha racists. ;)

Reaction Score
At the end of the day its just a logo. I'm happy with it. Things change. If anyone has been following @uconnthougts some of the reactions have been so over the top. At the end of the day its still just a logo.

Reaction Score
This is the same UConn marketing Department that is regularly and rightly blasted on here, no? Now they are friggin' geniuses but they can't figure out how to sell season tickets to a defending national champion season or get more than 8 grand to the XL Center. And if they worked 14 days on this I'll be shocked. This wasn't even the Cal Bear. They downloaded a prototype wolf/husky added blue and red (red???) and called it a day. They migh thave asked 14 months ago, but this garbage cartoon wolf/dog didn't take 14 months of effort on anyone's part. Took about 14 minutes with Microsoft Paint.

Reaction Score
Some of you are unreal, do you really think that Nike and the school didn't do things like have blind focus groups vote? Do you really think one the worlds best marketing companies, and a top athletic school just slammed out some logo in 10 minutes and never thought about if the fans would like it? Yup, you geniuses were the first ones to think about an all white logo, you guys just blew that fastball by Nike marketing and the senior administration of UConn. For all the crap about the new logo, do you really think a Samoyed that was ready to lick you was an accurate portrayal of a Husky? You guys talk about maintaining a color scheme when the old logo wasn't even the RIGHT BREED OF DOG!!!! I am not a marketing guy, I know there are posters who know this better than I, but I do know something about rebranding and Nike's marketing and not only do I like the new logo, but I sure trust Nike more than the minority opinion on this board. Get real, the ship has sailed, you can whine about it all you want, but it ain't changing squat.

Reaction Score
It's just a logo. It looks like a real Husky, with the facial markings & what not. Blue & White are UConn's colors so I have no issues and it's pretty accurate of a Husky (aside from the blue). At the end of the day... It's a decent replication of a real Husky Sleddog. Confident, loyal & strong are what Huskies are known for. Rebranding is nice, so is reinventing yourself. As long as UConn continues to dominate college basketball, it's the least of our worries!

Reaction Score
New logo looks fine to me. Some of the comments by people here and by the torch & pitchfork mob on Facebook are way over the top.

Reaction Score
New Coke. At the time Coke was the best known brand in the world. The world...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
New Coke. At the time Coke was the best known brand in the world. The world...

And it still is.

What's your point? I mean, besides bitching about everything and refusing to ever admit you were wrong about anything?

Reaction Score
His point was that they had to return to the old Coke formula....And by making that point he is implying we might eventually do that with our new logo, returning to the old logo, that is. It's a valid point. I haven't read any other posts so Idk if there was any "bitching" going on. I am starting to like the new logo, but if you fail to see freescooter's perspective then that is ignorance, you don't have to agree with him though. Just recognize he has a point.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Except he doesn't.

They aren't going back. This is the logo. Get used to it.

Imagine the reaction when ND unveiled the Fighting Irish logo. That's ten thousand times more ridiculous looking than the new UConn logo,

Reaction Score
Some of you are unreal, do you really think that Nike and the school didn't do things like have blind focus groups vote? Do you really think one the worlds best marketing companies, and a top athletic school just slammed out some logo in 10 minutes and never thought about if the fans would like it? Yup, you geniuses were the first ones to think about an all white logo, you guys just blew that fastball by Nike marketing and the senior administration of UConn. For all the crap about the new logo, do you really think a Samoyed that was ready to lick you was an accurate portrayal of a Husky? You guys talk about maintaining a color scheme when the old logo wasn't even the RIGHT BREED OF DOG!!!! I am not a marketing guy, I know there are posters who know this better than I, but I do know something about rebranding and Nike's marketing and not only do I like the new logo, but I sure trust Nike more than the minority opinion on this board. Get real, the ship has sailed, you can whine about it all you want, but it ain't changing squat.

I read a long expose on the history of the Buffalo slug where they only presented it internally, not through focus groups. Of course, that was Reebok, but I do think you're presuming too much. The history of logos that are DOA shows that this can happen.

I think the vast majority of us like this new logo. I was surprised. I thought it was going to be much worse. That being said, they missed a big opportunity when they put a toupee on its head. I think the popularity of Penfield's husky speaks to that.

Reaction Score
Do you really think they had focus groups with students, alumni, CT citizens, etc.? Do you know anyone who served on one? If they tooka bunch of tree huggers from the west coast and asked them about it what do you think they'd get? I'm surprised we didn't get a spotted owl! This mascot sucks and if someone comes near me wearing something with this mascot on it I will tell them so and ask them why they have no support for our traditions.

Reaction Score

Did the Nike rocket scientists factor in the level of anger, disgust, animosity, lost morale, lost recognition (if we were a corporation the value of Jonathon from a recognition perspective would be millions of dollars) and lost donations a change would generate? Or did they just see this as an opportunity to sell a few more t-shirts with no risk to themselves? UConn is taking the risk with this and will end up with on their face. Nike will just swoosh on to the next suckers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nike knows enough to turn a cigarette logo upside down.

newport-cigarette-packaging.jpg

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You know what? The same silly sons-o- that are on this board complaining about the new logo today are going to be the same silly sons -o- who will be complaining in about 10-12 years when the University decides to re-brand itself to meet 2023 standards and talking about how the 'old' logo put in in 2013 should be kept in order to retain our traditions. Even in 2013, no one is going to ask their opinion so whatever they come up with will be wrong.

Reaction Score
"Except he doesn't."

ZLS you just confirmed your contemporary ignorance. Every single person in the universe has a "point". Doesn't make them right though. Even Snookie has a point when she talks. Doesn't make her right either. Haha. The challenge is not being ignorant toward their "point" and trying to understand where it comes from and why. Yes, even Snookie. What factors caused her perception? Are they familial? Societal? Intelligence based? Experience based? What info is she drawing upon? You have to ask these questions when ppl make arguments. I would say freescooter has some understandable factors to go along with his perception. But so do you. You may be right and he may be wrong, but he has a point.

I can tell your more intelligent then your frustration is making you act right now..Don't let people you disagree with, frustrate you so much. There is too much disagreement in the world to let it get to you. That's what I try to do now anyway. It ain't easy though. Snookie makes me wanna bang my head against the wall when I hear her speak...but I realize she is a person too, and something has helped to cause her to be that way, though she is also at blame for her continued wrong perception of reality too....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom