Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
What is college basketball? What kind of question is that?
uhm...context?

"this isn't sustainable for college basketball." I'm clearly asking what college basketball is in this context. because saying college basketball will cease to exist with this rule in place is absurd.

Reaction Score
uhm...context?

"this isn't sustainable for college basketball." I'm clearly asking what college basketball is in this context. because saying college basketball will cease to exist with this rule in place is absurd.
I'm saying I don't think this is sustainable for college basketball and I think it will need to be changed again in the future.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If it's not possible to have college basketball without being unfair to the players, then maybe that's wrong and it's okay for it to change.

Define unfair when they get compensated hundreds of thousands of dollars and not pay taxes on it.

Plus free food and training from elite coaches. They are not unpaid by any stretch.

I’m fine with guys making money from YouTube channels and sponsored IG posts.

But this is only going to make college basketball look more like cfb with maybe 10ish teams able to make a final four every year.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Define unfair when they get compensated hundreds of thousands of dollars and not pay taxes on it.

Plus free food and training from elite coaches. They are not unpaid by any stretch.

But this is only going to make college basketball look more like cfb with maybe 10ish teams able to make a final four every year.
lolwat hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Reaction Score
What would be fair compensation?
Allowing them to profit off their name/likeness is a start, along with giving them the same opportunities in their field of study that they're limited from now.

Without going into a ton of monotonous detail, a system where the ridiculous shady recruiting tactics that are used aren't needed. Even if scholarships/coaching/college exposure are considered compensation, schools still are finding value in offering bags of cash to players. Obviously it's easier said than done, but there's clearly an imbalance that needs to be addressed there

Reaction Score

Disagree with your last point. 22 year old seniors > 18 year old freshman. Teams with senior leadership will continue to roll in March.

the Q

Reaction Score
Disagree with your last point. 22 year old seniors > 18 year old freshman. Teams with senior leadership will continue to roll in March.

Sure. But look at the portal now. You think the top older guys won’t jump ship to win titles when they make it easier to do so?

Reaction Score
Allowing them to profit off their name/likeness is a start, along with giving them the same opportunities in their field of study that they're limited from now.

Without going into a ton of monotonous detail, a system where the ridiculous shady recruiting tactics that are used aren't needed. Even if scholarships/coaching/college exposure are considered compensation, schools still are finding value in offering bags of cash to players. Obviously it's easier said than done, but there's clearly an imbalance that needs to be addressed there
I'm cool with being allowed to profit off of name/likeness but I feel like people just throw out "pay the players" without really thinking it through and often pretend that college football and bball players aren't already treated differently and have many benefits no other students have. You're not doing that but I see it a lot. Maybe increase the stipend but I don't really see any other way to do it where it doesn't destroy college sports.

Reaction Score

NIL seems like the logical step here. I’m not sure why that would “destroy college basketball” if players are allowed to profit off of themselves. I’m for upping the stipend as well, but we’re not talking about schools paying salaries to players, at least I’m not. It doesn’t really change things that much, these top teams are already getting the “top talent” how is that changing things really?

At the end of the day, I’m much more about what’s best for the players. I find it odd that we want to restrict their access to NIL and their ability to play right after their transfer. Allow them to make their own decisions, if they want to transfer, let them. It’s their life, the whole obsession of restricting these athletes is really strange.

Reaction Score
Tuition
Room & board
Books
Sport coaching
Strength and agility coaching
Medical work/training staff
Food/snacks

Al of that adds up real quick. Especially for the 3-4 year players

This has always struck me as the least compelling argument in opposition to compensating the players - it reads like an argument that the people making don't really believe but feel compelled to make. It's ridiculous when you think of the life of the average high level P5 basketball or football player compared to what they generate for the schools. These are employees. The people making the rules knew they were employees when they set up the system, it's why we have this moronic "student/athlete" modifier. I would have left "snacks" off the list.

But personally I don't see what paying or not paying the players has to do with the current transfer portal situation. That's a problem irrespective of where you come out on paying them.

the Q

Reaction Score
This has always struck me as the least compelling argument in opposition to compensating the players - it reads like an argument that the people making don't really believe but feel compelled to make. It's ridiculous when you think of the life of the average high level P5 basketball or football player compared to what they generate for the schools. These are employees. The people making the rules knew they were employees when they set up the system, it's why we have this moronic "student/athlete" modifier. I would have left "snacks" off the list.

But personally I don't see what paying or not paying the players has to do with the current transfer portal situation. That's a problem irrespective of where you come out on paying them.

I only mention it because uconn football has their own cafeteria and a private pantry full of food that the players can come to and get as they please as well.

It’s actually pretty cool. Wish I had that when played ball in college lol

Reaction Score
Paying players and instant transfers are going to kill the sport. The major programs will be fine but everyone else will take a huge hit.

100 percent. Only fools don't understand the repercussions of this. You can't pollute and defile an innocent thing like college sports with paying students money directly and mercenary like activities and expect good outcomes for the overall health of the sport and majority of programs.

PS: I propose all supporters and advocates of these moves have their jobs transferred to Alaska and or North Dakota so their companies can maximize profits.

#SayNotoBasektballMercenaries

Reaction Score
You can't pollute and defile an innocent thing like college sports with paying students money directly

Wait, what?

College sports are a billion dollar enterprise. You think actually being upfront about paying the players would "defile" something "innocent"? This is like the person who was talking about FIFA's impeccable international reputation.

College sports are a cesspool (RIP).

the Q

Reaction Score
So we have some people who believe that the students are already fairly compensated.

Others oppose compensating players on the basis that it will destroy the system.

So if you believe the latter, is it that you believe that there is an amount of exploitation that we just have to accept in order to still be able to have college basketball? You agree that they're being exploited to some degree but having college basketball in its current format is worth their sacrifice?

Again, define exploited.

the Q

Reaction Score
He 100% is, they do get bags of chips and chocolate chip cookies after all

I’m tire of people claiming they aren’t compensated at all.

It’s factually false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak