Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His defense is nothing special either. He was often off the floor late because he could not guard. If his team is loaded and he can stand at the 3 point line then he is useful. If not then I would compare him to a smaller Tommy Polley.

Reaction Score
His defense is nothing special either. He was often off the floor late because he could not guard. If his team is loaded and he can stand at the 3 point line then he is useful. If not then I would compare him to a smaller Tommy Polley.
So you’re saying he should probably play safety instead of linebacker?? Cuz, you know, Tommy Polley was a linebacker.

Reaction Score
He’s better at shooting than Polley and it would be nice to have more than one shooter to turn to anyway.

Reaction Score
just continuing my thought to go a step further and say, unless they're getting paid and have actual contracts, I think the players should be able to do whatever the hell they want when it comes to transferring. Limit what people making paychecks (e.g. coaches) can do (e.g. when they can reach out to players). Unpaid athletes should be able to do whatever is in their best interest. Let them transfer 3 times in 4 years if it's best for them.
Is it really best for them? It's becoming too easy to be a quitter. Look at how IW grew here as an example of someone who stayed and became a better player.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is arguing that they don’t get anything. But if that’s the bar then wow. Indentured servants and even some slaves got paid small amounts of money. So that if getting some compensation is the only thing that matters to you I don’t know what to say.

I’m pretty sure that most people on here want players to get a more equitable distribution of the proceeds. Forbes had an article that suggested most basketball players would receive $500,000 per year if they split the profits 50-50.

Forbes

But sure, free warmups, kicks, and education you don’t really have time to take care of are cool too.

Are we going to cut all the dead weight sports that that mbb and fb pay for do that?

Like I said, no system is “fair” for everyone

Reaction Score
He’s better at shooting than Polley and it would be nice to have more than one shooter to turn to anyway.

If we're going to throw Sanogo and Jackson on the floor together, plus have Gaffney/Diggins/Rese/Akok/Johnson (who are all likely pretty bad shooters for guys who take so many 3s) on the roster, we cannot be recruiting anyone under 6'7 that CAN'T shoot it at a high level. If we just recruited 3 guys between 6'3 and 6'8 that can shoot catch and shoot 3s, our team would be better for it.

Reaction Score
An RJ Cole/Noah Locke starting backcourt is a very good shooting backcourt. I don't really love RJ and Gaff together. Get me Locke, another shooter and a back up big and we are all set.

RJ/Sool/Gaff
Locke/Gaff/Hawkins
AJax/Hawkins/Martin
Martin/Akok/Samson
Sanogo/?Whaley?/ Samson

I'd love to add Polley to this group as well, to play some spot minutes at the 4. Also whomever shoots better from 3 between Martin and Akok should be in that starting lineup to keep the paint open for Sanogo.

Reaction Score
If we're going to throw Sanogo and Jackson on the floor together, plus have Gaffney/Diggins/Rese/Akok/Johnson (who are all likely pretty bad shooters for guys who take so many 3s) on the roster, we cannot be recruiting anyone under 6'7 that CAN'T shoot it at a high level. If we just recruited 3 guys between 6'3 and 6'8 that can shoot catch and shoot 3s, our team would be better for it.
Agreed, use our 3 schollies on all shooters, and bring back Whaley to be that back up big.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is arguing that they don’t get anything. But if that’s the bar then wow. Indentured servants and even some slaves got paid small amounts of money. So that if getting some compensation is the only thing that matters to you I don’t know what to say.

I’m pretty sure that most people on here want players to get a more equitable distribution of the proceeds. Forbes had an article that suggested most basketball players would receive $500,000 per year if they split the profits 50-50.

Forbes

But sure, free warmups, kicks, and education you don’t really have time to take care of are cool too.
Yikes, you actually went there.

Reaction Score
Agreed, use our 3 schollies on all shooters, and bring back Whaley to be that back up big.

Why would our best big overall suddenly become our back up if he comes back? He's easily our best defender and Lord knows we need to do that because for now, we won't be able to shoot. I want Isaiah to come back because he's good and I hope he'd be even better on the offensive end next year as well. He is a better option than some of the transfer bigs for sure.

Reaction Score
Why would our best big overall suddenly become our back up if he comes back? He's easily our best defender and Lord knows we need to do that because for now, we won't be able to shoot. I want Isaiah to come back because he's good and I hope he'd be even better on the offensive end next year as well. He is a better option than some of the transfer bigs for sure.
Because I don't want him and Sanogo starting together. Sanogo is our starting center next season. We need someone at the 4 who is going to stretch the floor. Unless whaley is going to take more 3's and hit them at the same clip, i want him backing Sanago up. We need to update our offense by about a decade. Playing 2 paint dominant bigs weighs your offense down. Sanogo, AJax are enough non shooters in our stating lineup. We need at least 4 playmakers/shooters on the floor at all times

Reaction Score
Are we going to cut all the dead weight sports that that mbb and fb pay for do that?

Like I said, no system is “fair” for everyone
If that means that some young person from a disadvantaged background has an opportunity at generational wealth, then yes. If you run a business that only remains viable by taking advantage of unfair labor practices all while operating under the advantages provided by the umbrella of a non-profit then maybe the system needs to be rethought or even dismantled.

Reaction Score
Because I don't want him and Sanogo starting together. Sanogo is our starting center next season. We need someone at the 4 who is going to stretch the floor. Unless whaley is going to take more 3's and hit them at the same clip, i want him backing Sanago up. We need to update our offense by about a decade. Playing 2 paint dominant bigs weighs your offense down. Sanogo, AJax are enough non shooters in our stating lineup. We need at least 4 playmakers/shooters on the floor at all times

I'm thinking there is another end of the floor we need to be concerned with. A guy who stretches the floor better be able to guard someone, as well as Whaley block shots as well as Whaley and create havoc off the P & R or else they will answer all of this "4's" supposed shotmaking. I agree Sanogo is our 5 but there's no worries about these 2 playing together if we can get shotmakers where they should be. Like the Locke potential kid can shoot it. Really dislike any chance of Cole and Gaffney spending too much time at all together it's not a plan that will help this team get better. And lets be honest, Andre really needs to improve his shooting or get a go-to shot. Long way to go we will see, Hawkins and Sool will help but we need confident scorers, 2G's and wings to make plays.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking there is another end of the floor we need to be concerned with. A guy who stretches the floor better be able to guard someone, as well as Whaley block shots as well as Whaley and create havoc off the P & R or else they will answer all of this "4's" supposed shotmaking. I agree Sanogo is our 5 but there's no worries about these 2 playing together if we can get shotmakers where they should be. Like the Locke potential kid can shoot it. Really dislike any chance of Cole and Gaffney spending too much time at all together it's not a plan that will help this team get better. And lets be honest, Andre really needs to improve his shooting or get a go-to shot. Long way to go we will see, Hawkins and Sool will help but we need confident scorers, 2G's and wings to make plays.
Martin and Akok can defend. Whaley is better as a 5 anyway. Whaley going to play, alot. I just dont want him and Sanogo sharing the court together

Reaction Score
I dont know anything about Samson, can he shoot 3's or are both of our centers next year just gonna be inside threats?

nvm just looked it up. Samson Johnson shot 37% from 3 with decent volume last year. 6'10" with 7'6" wingspan and almost a 40% 3pt shooter?? Holy crap this kid might be our most impactful recruit next year if those numbers are true.

Reaction Score
UNLV's David Jenkins hit the portal last night.

He's a guy I've watched a bit when he was at South Dakota State and he's definitely a guy that would help the team. He's a bucket-getter who can take over the game, but he is also capable of playing within a system with a gifted offensive post: Mike Daum was his teammate for two years at SDSU, so that bodes well with his ability to contribute offensively with Adama.

The grad transfer is a thickly built 6'2 195 who hit 40.9% of 3s at UNLV, which amount for about half of his shots. 14.8p at UNLV and career shooting rates of 45.0 2p%, 41.7 3p%, 79.1 ft%. I don't think he's known for his defense.

Reaction Score
I dont know anything about Samson, can he shoot 3's or are both of our centers next year just gonna be inside threats?

nvm just looked it up. Samson Johnson shot 37% from 3 with decent volume last year. 6'10" with 7'6" wingspan and almost a 40% 3pt shooter?? Holy crap this kid might be our most impactful recruit next year if those numbers are true.

He is not a 37% 3 point shooter fwiw. I would bet my entire salary on it. That is just like them saying Andre shot "45% from 3" in high school. There's just no chance. I expect a good season for him will be the low 30s. Serviceable, but not a real weapon, but with potential. Similar to Akok. By sophomore/junior year, I think we should hope for really good shooting because the pieces are there to improve.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
If that means that some young person from a disadvantaged background has an opportunity at generational wealth, then yes. If you run a business that only remains viable by taking advantage of unfair labor practices all while operating under the advantages provided by the umbrella of a non-profit then maybe the system needs to be rethought or even dismantled.

Or the players can choose to go pro.

The reality is the ncaa more popular than the NBA because the laundry is more important than any individual, by a long shot.

You could swap out all the d1 players with d2 players and the tourney would still outdraw the NBA

the Q

Reaction Score

I’m fine with taking out all the non The non revenue sports, but then you have a title ix issue.

Again there is no “fair” solution for everyone besides every sports need to pay its own weight, but the us govt doesn’t believe in meritocracy in university sports

Reaction Score
it’s as tiring as hearing that the “parks and facilities management” major RB who is just being kept eligible to play in his bowl game is getting a free education and he should be grateful for
Have you ever given a thought as to who would manage all the "parks" if not for the RB in your example?
Or, perhaps more troubling, who would manage the vastly larger number of "facilities"?
Lastly, from where would the up and coming students of "general" come?

Reaction Score

You are a textbook example of a hypocrite and false crocodile tears actors crying about the plights of the D1 basketball players. Worry about the average Joe college student not student athletes.

It is actually a good thing and the right thing that the government mandates universities sponsor unprofitable D1 sports. It gives more people an opportunity to make something of themselves. That is the job of government.

Since money is the bottom line for you, I propose your job gets sent to North Dakota that way your company can maximize their profits at your expense.

PS: D1 basketball and football players are already privileged. You and many others would do well to remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom