Recruiting Transfers - April | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1617991839972.png

Reaction Score
Has there been any update on what teams are/have been targeting Jabri Abdur Rahim? He was a big time recruit, surprised there hasn’t been more buzz with him. UConn was recruiting him at one point, curious to see if they get involved again or where he ends up.

Reaction Score
When we talk transfers, I think it is important to distinguish between one year eligible guys, and younger guys.

For grad transfers, a big guard who can shoot, handle the ball and hit FTs. This is the bigger minute scenario.
Perhaps a depth Big for injury protection. Very few players are going to be good enough to actually push out our existing players and start. Matt Bradley from Cal would fill that. Maybe Marreon Jackson.

For younger guys, I think we could be more flexible. Mostly the need for a shooter is the same, but I can see bringing in a guy who doesn't play that much next year, but who can become that steady reliable starter or 6th man as an upperclassman. So not just guys who can contribute right away.
Marreon Jackson committed to ASU

Reaction Score
Has there been any update on what teams are/have been targeting Jabri Abdur Rahim? He was a big time recruit, surprised there hasn’t been more buzz with him. UConn was recruiting him at one point, curious to see if they get involved again or where he ends up.
would be the highest rated recruit of hurley's career. one upon a time top 40. cant read much into his freshman year at uva. i compare it to quinerly's first year at nova. just didnt fit for whatever reason, culturally or schematically idk.

jabari, cam thomas and sanogo were my dream 3 last year. as long as he can defend opposing Gs, which i'm sure he can, he'd start on the wing along either martin or aj.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i gotta disagree. we are set at the 4 and 5 spots with whaley back in the picture. if we bring in another big then goodbye samson or springs.

we need 2 shooters: a big wing aka Polley and a starting SG.
Amen. Need shooter(s) Or we’re seeing tons of zones.
would be the highest rated recruit of hurley's career. one upon a time top 40. cant read much into his freshman year at uva. i compare it to quinerly's first year at nova. just didnt fit for whatever reason, culturally or schematically idk.

jabari, cam thomas and sanogo were my dream 3 last year. as long as he can defend opposing Gs, which i'm sure he can, he'd start on the wing along either martin or aj.
Have we reached out or is he not “gritty” enough or “Jersey” enough for Hurley? We have way too many one dimensional gritty kids.

Reaction Score
Amen. Need shooter(s) Or we’re seeing tons of zones.

Have we reached out or is he not “gritty” enough or “Jersey” enough for Hurley? We have way too many one dimensional gritty kids.
He's from Jersey so that knock against Hurley doesn't work here

Reaction Score
He's from Jersey so that knock against Hurley doesn't work here
Awesome. Let’s get him! Need talented offensive players to go with our strong inside game.

Reaction Score

Akok is the highest rated, his ranking is just all messed up now because he enrolled mid year.

Reaction Score
Watched him live a few times at Sacred Heart. Arguably my favorite non-UConn player I've watched live over the last 3-4 years. Just works his butt off, strong and skilled. A leader.

If he's OK playing a definitively backup spot behind Sanogo, I'd love him here, but after a year barely playing in Tennessee, I'd expect him to go to a mid-major (or less) where he can dominate and boost his pro resume.
Tennessee had a weak frontcourt and he couldn't get on the floor. He does not fill an immediate need.

Reaction Score

Good comparison, seems like a change of scenery will do him well. Not a ton of guys that young in the transfer portal with his type of upside (in terms of being such a high rated recruit). Would love to add a talent like him if possible, his timeline would fit in well with the younger guys on the roster too. Will be keeping an eye on where he ends up and how he plays next season. Seems like he could emerge as a good player.

edit: I’ll also add Jaylen Blakes, top 100 kid from Blair as well. He hasn’t committed yet. UConn was on him for a bit, combo guard. He’s a bit undersized but go watch his film, kid has serious 3 point range and is pretty explosive, seems like a dog. If adding another ‘21 recruit is on the table, might not be a bad get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Akok is the highest rated, his ranking is just all messed up now because he enrolled mid year.
idk if messed up is the right word. sanogo's rating also fell when he reclassed, that's just how it works. so like i said, jabari would be the highest rated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
idk if messed up is the right word. sanogo's rating also fell when he reclassed, that's just how it works. so like i said, jabari would be the highest rated.
Messed up is the right word. You can just look at the 247 composite ranking history and see he was 31 when he committed to us. Then one ranking service took him out of the rankings all together because he was technically in college, and another moved him a class earlier, so it got messed up.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Good comparison, seems like a change of scenery will do him well. Not a ton of guys that young in the transfer portal with his type of upside (in terms of being such a high rated recruit). Would love to add a talent like him if possible, his timeline would fit in well with the younger guys on the roster too. Will be keeping an eye on where he ends up and how he plays next season. Seems like he could emerge as a good player.

edit: I’ll also add Jaylen Blakes, top 100 kid from Blair as well. He hasn’t committed yet. UConn was on him for a bit, combo guard. He’s a bit undersized but go watch his film, kid has serious 3 point range and is pretty explosive, seems like a dog. If adding another ‘21 recruit is on the table, might not be a bad get.
Didn’t Blakes commit to Pitt?

Reaction Score
You may be thinking of Nate Santos? I didn’t see Blakes commit yet, could be wrong

Blakes has not committed. There doesn't appear to be any real indication where he's leaning. My understanding is that he's waiting to find a situation where he could get early PT. I'm not sure we can offer him what he wants, but he'd be a nice guy to add.

Reaction Score

Nice package deal for Jankovich.

Twin brother grad transfers with very different styles. Marcus (6'5 215) plays a mini-post game, reminds me a lot of Carson Williams out of WKU, just a thick and more-athletic-than-he-looks force inside. 15.7p, 7.3r with an occasional three, but almost all of his work is inside.

I've haven't seen Michael (6'3 175) play, but he was kicked out of Oklahoma State for stealing a wallet at a bar, but sounds like he turned things around at Texas Southern, a program where coach Johnny Jones is known as being a mentor and father figure for a lot of the talented, but "immature" players entering the program as transfers. Weathers averaged 16.5p, 4.5r, 3.5a, 2.1s, 1b in 31.2 mpg. Only 20% of his shots are from deep so based on his 52.4 fg% rate and 5.3 fta/gm, I picture him as an athletic two-way basket attacker who is smart about his shot selection.

Between Kendric Davis (19.0p, 7.6a, 37.3 3p%), Feron Hunt (11.1p, 7.9r), Emmanuel Bandoumel (10.2p, 36.4 3p%), the Weathers bros, Sam Houston State's Sam Nutall (19.3p, 5.7, 37.2 3p%) and Oklahoma State transfer Yor Anei (6.6p, 2.2b) Jankovich brings in a very impressive septet of seniors entering the 21-22.

An interesting futures bet for the AAC crown next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Messed up is the right word. You can just look at the 247 composite ranking history and see he was 31 when he committed to us. Then one ranking service took him out of the rankings all together because he was technically in college, and another moved him a class earlier, so it got messed up.
It was totally messed up, never seen an drop like that and I've followed recruiting for years. It's all silly, the one service (believe it was rivals) just stopped ranking him altogether which gave the false low ranking.

Reaction Score

It was totally messed up, never seen an drop like that and I've followed recruiting for years. It's all silly, the one service (believe it was rivals) just stopped ranking him altogether which gave the false low ranking.
agree to disagree. i know 92 isnt right but when a player reclassifies he always drops that's how it works. look at sanogo he fell 40 spots.

so if the sites had all done it properly they would have moved akok into 2018 and he would have fallen into the 50s at least, which would have been lower than jabari and diggins and hawkins.

so either way i look at it- his current ranking of 92 or better yet where he probably should have ended up in the ~50s, he isnt hurley's highest rated recruit

Reaction Score
agree to disagree. i know 92 isnt right but when a player reclassifies he always drops that's how it works. look at sanogo he fell 40 spots.

so if the sites had all done it properly they would have moved akok into 2018 and he would have fallen into the 50s at least, which would have been lower than jabari and diggins and hawkins.
It's all because the one site wen't from ranking him where the other sites had him to not ranking him at all. His 247 ranking never changed at all, he stayed ranked as the #5 power forward and #22 player overall.

Reaction Score
It's all because the one site wen't from ranking him where the other sites had him to not ranking him at all. His 247 ranking never changed at all, he stayed ranked as the #5 power forward and #22 player overall.
i understand what happened but i still consider hawk and digg (or jabari) to be higher rated because the services should have moved akok into 2018 where he would have dropped at least 20 spots. didnt he have to reclassify in order to enroll early and subsequently redshirt? he must have reclassed because he's listed as a redshirt sophomore.

so either way i look at it- his current ranking of 92 or where he should have ended up in the ~50s for 2018, he isnt hurley's highest rated recruit when all said and done

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i understand what happened but i still consider hawk and digg (or jabari) to be higher rated because the services should have moved akok into 2018 where he would have dropped at least 20 spots. didnt he have to reclassify in order to enroll early and subsequently redshirt? he must have reclassed because he's listed as a redshirt sophomore.

so either way i look at it- his current ranking of 92 or better yet where he probably should have ended up in the ~50s for 2018, he isnt hurley's highest rated recruit imo
I disagree with you, the drop is all because one service didn't do their job and stopped ranking him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom