Recruiting Transfers - April | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eric Bossi of 247Sports.com thinks he has a "college ready body". I'm not sure where Bossi is seeing that because everyone says he's thin.

"Hawkins brings instant offense and toughness with a college ready body and Johnson brings high level athleticism, length and very high upside as a rim protector, defender and rebounder with a budding offensive skillset.”

I’d have to assume he means length. He’s not college ready muscle-wise. Or at least going to be immediately accustomed to getting bodied in the paint. He looks like he has a frame that can support muscle though

Reaction Score
Shooting numbers are yuck
Yeah...saw that. Seems like a good player but not sure we need another 31% from three type guy. FT% also only 65% so doesn't give me hope that he has much potential for improvement.

Reaction Score
Very interesting, but our depth chart is not attractive to a star guard from a good league like the MWC. I don't expect us to get him at all.
Really? This kid could be an upgrade at the 2.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, but he was a 30+ mpg player at UNLV. He'd want at least 25 mpg at his next school and between Hawkins/Gaffney, I don't see 25 minutes.

I also don't want a transfer to alienate a returning player and make them consider other options, but that's just me.

I'm not as concerned about the returning players (well I am but....) as the incoming players. I mean if there's a kid out there that's transferring and looks at our guards now but isn't concerned about PT then I'm all in. We need that confidence and we need better players to be the UConn program we expect.

Reaction Score

Very low volume. New Jersey guy. I’m assuming he probably wants to go somewhere he could play more.

Reaction Score

Very low volume. New Jersey guy. I’m assuming he probably wants to go somewhere he could play more.

Watched him live a few times at Sacred Heart. Arguably my favorite non-UConn player I've watched live over the last 3-4 years. Just works his butt off, strong and skilled. A leader.

If he's OK playing a definitively backup spot behind Sanogo, I'd love him here, but after a year barely playing in Tennessee, I'd expect him to go to a mid-major (or less) where he can dominate and boost his pro resume.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm not as concerned about the returning players (well I am but....) as the incoming players. I mean if there's a kid out there that's transferring and looks at our guards now but isn't concerned about PT then I'm all in. We need that confidence and we need better players to be the UConn program we expect.
If we can't get a transfer in the backcourt that isn't an upgrade over what we have coming back, what's the point? And speculating a player like Richmond would be worried he couldn't beat out Cole/Gaffney for a starting spot is laughable.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, but he was a 30+ mpg player at UNLV. He'd want at least 25 mpg at his next school and between Hawkins/Gaffney, I don't see 25 minutes.

I also don't want a transfer to alienate a returning player and make them consider other options, but that's just me.
So if you don’t want someone who can take minutes from who we already have and push them down the depth chart what are you hoping for in a transfer?

Reaction Score
So if you don’t want someone who can take minutes from who we already have and push them down the depth chart what are you hoping for in a transfer?

Someone who pushes people down the depth chart, but does it with the ability to shoot the ball at an above average %.

Reaction Score
Someone who pushes people down the depth chart, but does it with the ability to shoot the ball at an above average %.
I agree and that might ruffle some feathers of people here already. I take that as a byproduct of upgrading the talent. It may make some current guys unhappy but to me that’s the cost of business.

Reaction Score
Watched him live a few times at Sacred Heart. Arguably my favorite non-UConn player I've watched live over the last 3-4 years. Just works his butt off, strong and skilled. A leader.

If he's OK playing a definitively backup spot behind Sanogo, I'd love him here, but after a year barely playing in Tennessee, I'd expect him to go to a mid-major (or less) where he can dominate and boost his pro resume.
If he couldn't play as a big at Tennessee he would have no chance of playing as a big at UConn.

Reaction Score
Good question.

With Whaley back, I'd like two transfers:

A depth big: A depth big totally OK with playing behind Sanogo. Over the last two years, the Big East was filled with these guys (K. Jones at Creighton, Toro at St. John's, Griffin at Xavier).

A shooter:

a) The more likely possibility:
A shooter ok playing a depth role, if needed. IMO, Polley is a perfect fit for this spot and if we get a grad transfer that plays this role, I'd expect him to play a Polley-like role, and not much more.

However, if we go the traditional transfer route, this player might immediately play a depth role but could move up depending on trajectory. George Mason's Tyler Kolek is a great example. If we get him, we have three years of eligibility and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he develops into a starter as a senior, especially if Hawkins is a two-year player.

b) The less likely possibility: An impact transfer shooter who is so gifted and skilled that it greatly declines PT for at least one of the following players (Gaff/Hawkins/Jackson/Martin/Cole/Diggins). However, this player is so gifted that the net acquisition is worth it.

Here's a totally unrealistic example: if Cam Thomas hit the portal, I'd be so ecstatic where I'd be OK if his acquisition makes one of our valuable returnees transfer elsewhere.

Hope this summarizes it well, but it's Friday and my brain is a bit fried.

Hot take: What if we don't get any transfers and we go into 21/22 with the squad we have? I'm not sweating it. I like our incoming squad more than most here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good question.

A depth big: A depth big totally OK with playing behind Sanogo. Over the last two years, the Big East was filled with these guys (K. Jones at Creighton, Toro at St. John's, Griffin at Xavier).

A shooter:

a) The more likely possibility:
A shooter ok playing a depth role, if needed. IMO, Polley is a perfect fit for this spot and if we get a grad transfer that plays this role, I'd expect him to play a Polley-like role, and not much more.

However, if we go the traditional transfer route, this player might immediately play a depth role but could move up depending on trajectory. George Mason's Tyler Kolek is a great example. If we get him, we have three years of eligibility and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he develops into a starter as a senior, especially if Hawkins is a two-year player.

b) The less likely possibility: An impact transfer shooter who is so gifted and skilled that it greatly declines PT for at least one of the following players (Gaff/Hawkins/Jackson/Martin/Cole/Diggins). However, this player is so gifted that the net acquisition is worth it.

Here's a totally unrealistic example: if Cam Thomas hit the portal, I'd be so ecstatic where I'd be OK if his acquisition makes one of our valuable returnees transfer elsewhere.

Hope this summarizes it well, but it's Friday and my brain is a bit fried.

Hot take: What if we don't get any transfers and we go into 21/22 with the squad we have? No problem to me. I like our incoming squad more than most here.

When we talk transfers, I think it is important to distinguish between one year eligible guys, and younger guys.

For grad transfers, a big guard who can shoot, handle the ball and hit FTs. This is the bigger minute scenario.
Perhaps a depth Big for injury protection. Very few players are going to be good enough to actually push out our existing players and start. Matt Bradley from Cal would fill that. Maybe Marreon Jackson.

For younger guys, I think we could be more flexible. Mostly the need for a shooter is the same, but I can see bringing in a guy who doesn't play that much next year, but who can become that steady reliable starter or 6th man as an upperclassman. So not just guys who can contribute right away.

Reaction Score
Tbh I think if Hawkins averages 12ppg+ on decent %s he's going to be drafted. That's a big IF but having a prototypical NBA player skillset will get him in the league with less eye-popping stats than Bouk or AJ would need to put up.
after his frosh year or after his soph year?

Reaction Score
Good question.

i gotta disagree. we are set at the 4 and 5 spots with whaley back in the picture. if we bring in another big then goodbye samson or springs. i'm sure hurley needed to placate them already after whaley made his decision.

edit- this is me operating under the assumption akok will contribute next season but i refuse not to operate under that assumption

so we need 2 shooters: a big wing aka Polley and a starting SG.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
after his frosh year or after his soph year?

I was referring to freshman year. It would take more as a sophomore I think.

Obviously a lot of factors that go into that... just generally speaking.

Reaction Score

This is division 1 college basketball. If you can get a better player you get him don't worry about hurting some ones feelings ! Period !

Reaction Score
I know it's a broken record at this point but...We need a shooting guard that can score(shoot 3's and create off the dribble) Yeah, I know finding someone like that is the total package and really difficult, borderline unrealistic. Nonetheless it's what we need. Teams that go far generally have multiple guys who can do these things. Our team next year looks to be really talented but somehow deficient in this area. Lot's of good, talented players with loads of potential but many have reduntant, overlapping skills and strengths. Hawkins seems like the outlier but relying on a freshman is often just too heavy of a burden. Let's see how things shake out. Hopefully a shooter at least will be added and several of our own will make a leap. Still kinda feel we need someone to make our margin for error not so razor thin. Trying to win low scoring close games against the better teams is very difficult. One inevitable scoring drought and a 10 point lead feels like 20 when you have trouble putting the ball in the basket and lack 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
I wonder about someone like Jamal Mashburn Jr. He is a creator. Not a great shooter. He finished out the season very strong. I know we had interest in his initial recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom