Recruiting Transfers - April | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
agree to disagree. i know 92 isnt right but when a player reclassifies he always drops that's how it works. look at sanogo he fell 40 spots.

so if the sites had all done it properly they would have moved akok into 2018 and he would have fallen into the 50s at least, which would have been lower than jabari and diggins and hawkins.

so either way i look at it- his current ranking of 92 or better yet where he probably should have ended up in the ~50s, he isnt hurley's highest rated recruit
He didn’t reclassify. Why would services put him in 2018 when he didn’t start playing in college until 2019? There’s a reason Rivals removed him from the rankings altogether while reranking Sanogo in his new class.

You have given me some good laughs though. Andre Drummond is currently the 84th ranked recruit in his class on 247 based upon how his recruitment went down, so I guess we’ve just had tons and tons of higher ranked recruits than Andre Drummond.

Reaction Score
It was totally messed up, never seen an drop like that and I've followed recruiting for years. It's all silly, the one service (believe it was rivals) just stopped ranking him altogether which gave the false low ranking.
Eh, it was a weird situation. How often do guys leave high school mid year to go to college, but not actually reclassify to play earlier, just pay their own way at the school so they can practice? I get services not knowing how to handle it.

I just like to mention it because people seem to forget he’s easily the highest ranked recruit on our team.

We got really unlucky with this roster. In an ideal world, if we’re trying to replicate the recent Villanova model, Bouknight and Akok are supposed to be the junior year studs that anchor a really good team, with all the other pieces falling in around them. Instead, one guy was so talented that he won’t be on the team, and the other had a terrible injury so we have no idea what we’ll get from him. Ugh.

Reaction Score
He didn’t reclassify. Why would services put him in 2018 when he didn’t start playing in college until 2019? There’s a reason Rivals removed him from the rankings altogether while reranking Sanogo in his new class.

You have given me some good laughs though. Andre Drummond is currently the 84th ranked recruit in his class on 247 based upon how his recruitment went down, so I guess we’ve just had tons and tons of higher ranked recruits than Andre Drummond.
laugh it up. akok was listed as a redshirt sophomore on the official roster this season whereas bouk and gaff were listed as sophomores. that means akok had to reclassify in order to enroll midyear and subsequently redshirt. he has now played the past two seasons meaning he's a rising redshirt junior.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
laugh it up. akok was listed as a redshirt sophomore on the official roster this season whereas bouk and gaff were listed as sophomores. that means akok had to reclassify in order to enroll midyear and subsequently redshirt. he has now played the past two seasons meaning he's a rising redshirt junior.
Yeah I’m sure for enrollment purposes that‘s how it had to work, but I’m talking a normal reclassification. Akok played multiple months of high school basketball while the 2018 college season was being played, so they’re not going to put him in the 2018 rankings.

Again, there is a reason he was taken out of the rankings all together while someone like Sanogo got reranked. Their situations are not the same.

Reaction Score
Scouring the transfer portal, an interesting case popped up.

Former UNLV coach, and newly hired Iowa State coach TJ Otzelberger, brought in UNLV transfer Caleb Grill.

While it's completely normal for coaches to bring in transfers from their previous schools, Grill was originally a recruit by former Iowa State coach Steve Prohm.

So in three years, Grill has gone from a Prohm coached Iowa State, to an Otzelberger coached UNLV and back to Iowa State, now coached by Otzelberger.

Very interesting. Cyclones fans must be thinking "just like you, we love this school but hated Prohm...glad to see you back where you belong!"

Anyone know of this happening before?

Reaction Score
Not sure if we were ever connected to Kyler Edwards of Texas Tech but seems like we should be interested now. He has decided to stay in the portal rather than return to Tech.

Reaction Score
Scouring the transfer portal, an interesting case popped up.

Former UNLV coach, and newly hired Iowa State coach TJ Otzelberger, brought in UNLV transfer Caleb Grill.

While it's completely normal for coaches to bring in transfers from their previous schools, Grill was originally a recruit by former Iowa State coach Steve Prohm.

So in three years, Grill has gone from a Prohm coached Iowa State, to an Otzelberger coached UNLV and back to Iowa State, now coached by Otzelberger.

Very interesting. Cyclones fans must be thinking "just like you, we love this school but hated Prohm...glad to see you back where you belong!"

Anyone know of this happening before?

IIRC, Grill was originally committed to play for Otzelberger at South Dakota State before he took the UNLV job and that’s how he landed at Iowa State in the first place.

Reaction Score
I assumed he'd go to Texas to follow Beard, but yes we should be interested. He's the 2nd best guard available by my hun
I assumed he'd go to Texas to follow Beard, but yes we should be interested. He's the 2nd best guard available by my hunting list.
Mac McClung (TT) deciding whether to stay or enter portal with Beard gone

Reaction Score
Can’t go after mcclung anyway because he was at Georgetown. Doesn’t matter that he was at another school in between. I believe @navery12 provided the info

Reaction Score
Can’t go after mcclung anyway because he was at Georgetown. Doesn’t matter that he was at another school in between. I believe @navery12 provided the info
Wasn't suggesting potential interest-- His style seems as a ball dominant kind of PG/CG so he wouldn't fit with our roster if even doable.

Comment was made as a general observation of TT players

Reaction Score
Idk if he would leave, but every blue blood should throw their best offers at Oats first. That dude understands modern basketball.
I think he is an up and comer for sure however what’s on his resume up to this point? Doesn’t he have more to prove before he’s one of the best coaches in college basketball? Genuine question because many people share the sentiment.

Reaction Score
I think he is an up and comer for sure however what’s on his resume up to this point? Doesn’t he have more to prove before he’s one of the best coaches in college basketball? Genuine question because many people share the sentiment.

Oats has gotten huge results very quickly at two stops now. I thought he was a fantastic hire for Alabama when they snagged him, and if a blue blood doesn't grab him soon, he'll have Bama rolling too much to ever leave. UNC should have hired him, no question in my mind. I'm not sure what Zona's financial situation is, but he would absolutely be my first call.

Reaction Score
This doesn't sound right.
I may be misinterpreting the rule, but that's how it reads to me. The indirect transfer in the top sentence and point 2 in the special notes

Screenshot_2021-04-11_220354.jpg

Reaction Score
Is there a loophole because we weren't a big east school when McClung played at Georgetown?

Reaction Score
Oats has gotten huge results very quickly at two stops now. I thought he was a fantastic hire for Alabama when they snagged him, and if a blue blood doesn't grab him soon, he'll have Bama rolling too much to ever leave. UNC should have hired him, no question in my mind. I'm not sure what Zona's financial situation is, but he would absolutely be my first call.
Oats isn't going anywhere. Bama is happy with the results and they just happen to be flush with money. Of course this is just an opinion that I am offering up.

Reaction Score
The Big East needs to change that right now. If free agency is going to continue you can't handicap your whole conference and keep up with everyone else.
Absolutely.

Intra-conference transfers just this weekend:

Braun Hartfield: San Diego > Pepperdine
Ethan Henderson: Arkansas > Texas A&M
Justin McCoy: Virginia > UNC
Yauhen Massalski: San Diego > San Francisco

Reaction Score
I may be misinterpreting the rule, but that's how it reads to me. The indirect transfer in the top sentence and point 2 in the special notes

View attachment 66759
Is "indirect transfer" defined anywhere that you know of (in this document or elsewhere)? In the absence of other information, I agree with your interpretation, but I find it strange that they use the term as if everyone understands the exact meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom