OT: - Realignment? | Page 24 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
A lot of games had been planned already...

SEC vs ACC...examples of future games on the books,,,a total of near 70 games over the next 6 seasosn....

Clemson-Georgia (X5), Clemson-LSU (X2),

FSU-LSU (X2), FSU-Alabama (x2), FSU-Georgia (X2)

Louisville -Georgia (X2), Louisville-Ole Miss, Louisville-Texas A&M (X2),

Miami-Alabama, Miami-Texas A&M (X2), Miami-Florida, Miami-Auburn (X2)

and others playing the SEC..NC State, BC, Virginia, VT, Pitt

And of course, the annual in state rival games vs Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, and Kentucky

Plus adding in the 30 games with Notre Dame means a lot of the schedule is decided.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Syndicate

1630107930423.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Houston, SMU, Cinci, UCF and Memphis are all candidates. So Houston (or SMU) Cinci, UCF and BYU?

Can the American survive that loss?

Reaction Score
Houston, SMU, Cinci, UCF and Memphis are all candidates. So Houston (or SMU) Cinci, UCF and BYU?

As an alumnus of an ACC school, I'd be delighted to donate a few of my alma mater's conference mates. Does the Big 12 offer free pickup or would I need to drop them off?

Reaction Score

That makes too much sense if your talking about entertainment value decent football great basketball conference possibly the best since the old Big East.
However ESPN is run by bean counters not sports people who think:
Hypothetically That first conference might cost us $15,000,000 to $20,000,000 a team that a bunch of money.
If we just add 4-5 teams to the AAC we could get them for $8,000,000 $10 max
do the math

Reaction Score
As an alumnus of an ACC school, I'd be delighted to donate a few of my alma mater's conference mates. Does the Big 12 offer free pickup or would I need to drop them off?

If it is BC or Cuse...just leave them on the street next to your recycle bin for pick up. Some recyclers are choosy though and may classify as trash.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That makes too much sense if your talking about entertainment value decent football great basketball conference possibly the best since the old Big East.
However ESPN is run by bean counters not sports people who think:
Hypothetically That first conference might cost us $15,000,000 to $20,000,000 a team that a bunch of money.
If we just add 4-5 teams to the AAC we could get them for $8,000,000 $10 max
do the math

ESPN isn't going to have the rights anyway. Big XII is mostly Fox. They are talking to Amazon. I think BYU and Cincinnati are locks. Beyond that I think UCF and Houston are good next tier. I don't think Memphis or SMU has much of a chance, and would probably be behind Colorado State. Big XII will not be bothered at all by taking the value out of ESPN property American Conference.

Reaction Score
Difficult to say whether those 7 schools are based on Thamel's personal opinion or Thamel's inside sources.
That said, I think it's a stretch that TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech want both SMU and Houston in the conference. I can see one but not both.

Reaction Score
I think BYU and Cincinnati are locks. Beyond that I think UCF and Houston are good next tier. I don't think Memphis or SMU has much of a chance, and would probably be behind Colorado State.
The Big 12 adding BYU, Cincinnati, UCF and Houston seems like the most likely outcome to me too.

But I personally believe UCF would be a mistake. Cable subscriptions/market size are still important now. But those metrics are becoming increasingly less relevant as cord cutting accelerates. Adding a school that will have no natural league rival and that sits more than 900 miles away from its closest conference mate just seems like a silly play for a streaming future.

I'd try to foster rivalries/passion by building a footprint that makes a semblance of geographic sense. I'd accordingly advocate for BYU, Colorado State and Houston. I'd also lobby for Cincinnati to help bridge the distance to the West Virginia. And if Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor blocked Houston, I'd advocate for Memphis because it would further still bridge the distance to Morgantown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Note that Colorado St, which many on this board are pushing for some unknown reason, is not in the top 7.

I don’t think they’d want both Hou and SMU l
but they might feel the need to shore up their TX presence — UT is gone, the WAC (with 6 TX schools) is considering an upgrade to FBS, and the Mtn West could return to TX if they need to backfill or the AAC implodes.
b12 needs to be clear #2 in TX

Reaction Score
Note that Colorado St, which many on this board are pushing for some unknown reason, is not in the top 7.
Not sure if you're referring to me or not?

If so, I explained why I'd advocate for Colorado State if I were a Big 12 leader. I personally believe building a footprint that makes geographic sense is in the conference's long term best interest. Colorado State sits nicely between current Big 12 member Kansas State and (reportedly "no brainer" addition) BYU.

But, as I also noted, I believe the actual leaders of the Big 12 will probably add BYU, Cincinnati, UCF and Houston. All four of those are among the seven schools mentioned by Berry Trammel.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're referring to me or not?

If so, I explained why I'd advocate for Colorado State if I were a Big 12 leader. I personally believe building a footprint that makes geographic sense is in the conference's long term best interest. Colorado State sits nicely between current Big 12 member Kansas State and (reportedly "no brainer" addition) BYU.

But, as I also noted, I believe the actual leaders of the Big 12 will probably add BYU, Cincinnati, UCF and Houston. All four of those are among the seven schools mentioned by Berry Trammel.
Think i've seen multiple posters arguing for Colorado St.

This is not about cultural fit, longterm interests, or even footprint (for the most part). The sole goal is to try to maintain status as a P5 conference. BYU/Cinci/Boise/et al makes that as strong a FB conference as the PAC and possibly the ACC.

Fail on that front and it's irrelevance/G5 land.

Reaction Score
Think i've seen multiple posters arguing for Colorado St.

This is not about cultural fit, longterm interests, or even footprint (for the most part). The sole goal is to try to maintain status as a P5 conference. BYU/Cinci/Boise/et al makes that as strong a FB conference as the PAC and possibly the ACC.

Fail on that front and it's irrelevance/G5 land.
There is no putting the Big XII back together again. It is permanently below the P4.

Reaction Score
There is no putting the Big XII back together again. It is permanently below the P4.
I think his point is that a reconstituted Big XII could become the dominant non-P4 conference in most years and have an entry to the CFP most years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom